Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

A nice before and after :D

An enjoyable 5 miler with theboyblunder (mental note - let him get a word in :D ) bringing the weeks total to 39 and a good week at that.

Since I've tried to run more often (9 weeks ago) my weekly average has been 35 which is not bad but not great.
    Only going to do 1 session next week and keep everything else to a slower pace and try bring the mileage up to 45/48 which I promised to do a couple of weeks ago.

On a different note my wife and I are 7 years married today so in about an hours time I'm dumping the kids in my mams and we're heading to a Arklow for the night, can't wait for my 4 course meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Fair play Woddle! Be warned, there is a lot of debris on the cinder track in Arklow, better run wide for any sessions.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Woddle wrote: »

That's a faster time for the distance than I have. Are you building towards an Autumn marathon? The internet connection is too slow to scroll through your earlier posts and find out)

• Advertisement

mithril wrote: »
    That's a faster time for the distance than I have. Are you building towards an Autumn marathon? The internet connection is too slow to scroll through your earlier posts and find out)

No marathons this year I'm afraid, it's all about getting faster over the shorter stuff, the urge keeps popping up though but I'm going to resist till Berlin next year (I hope).

I didn't run Monday because we checked out of the hotel and on the drive home we decided to get the kids and go back down for a couple of nights, so we'll blame family quality time

I was all set for a run Tuesday but it didn't happen, I felt sick with a sore throat and tummy, we decided to come home last night as one of the kids is also unwell and got sick in the hotel restaurant.
    This morning my belly feels normal again, throat still sore but will get out later.

The above planned run never happened, ended up feeling really unwell again.
    So that meant no running from Monday to Thursday :eek:

Finally got out for a few slow miles on Friday with Emily, we headed to Dundrum to collect the car from my wifes night out.
    I felt terrible during this run obviously still not 100%

Saturday, just over 5.5 miles this evening, I felt so much better but the legs were a little bit sluggish, probably due to a lack of running.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/109811417

The one positive from not being well is that it may explain why last Saturdays race felt so tough.

The negative is I'm not as confident as a couple of weeks ago regarding Rathfarnham so I've decided I'll still run it but Racepix 5km is going to be goal race, plenty of perfect training to be had.

My throat is still sore so no hard efforts till Wednesdays 2 mile race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

sorry to hear you are under the weather. Ive had a sore throat (and felt crap) all week myself - starting to feel better today so hopefully you are over the worst of it as well

sorry to hear you are under the weather. Ive had a sore throat (and felt crap) all week myself - starting to feel better today so hopefully you are over the worst of it as well

Feeling much better today thanks, tummy just seems to be still a little upset, very up and down.

A day can be a very long time for a runner and I've already changed my mind since yesterday regarding 2 mile race, I'm not running it, I want to but todays run wasn't exactly perfect. Heart rate was very high, too high for the run it was. I don't think I'd do myself justice in the race, so I'll just get ready for Firhouse 10km.

10 mile run today, first 5 miles are all uphill but a very enjoyable route. My average was 9'22 a mile.
    I then decided to have a little fun and knowing that the next 5 are fast, I decided to try get the average down to 9'00 without straining.
    After 7 miles I was tired and just wanted to go home but I started day dreaming about lucozade and what flavour I'd buy myself after I finished, I was also listening to the Dublin match and this was a helpful distraction.
    I got to 9.5 miles and the average pace was showing 9'01 but I was straining so I decided to slow down and just get to the garage, I decided on blackcurrant, yummy, it tastes like really strong ribeanna :D
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/110085378
    Over 700 for the year now, so on for the end of October for the 1000.

• Advertisement

With my wife and kids going back to work and school on Thursday, it's time to get used to early morning runs again.
    Nice gentle 4.5 miles followed by 0.5 miles worth of strides.
    Heart rate was back down where it should be and body and mind felt fresh.
    The strides felt so easy, I reckoned I was running 5 minute mile pace. After looking at the uploaded info I see it averaged 6:26 pace :eek: very surprised but I guess it just backs up what I already know, I can't do faster running first thing in the morn.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/110513496

A short but sweet run this evening. Pressed for time as I wanted to head to Tallaght to watch the Bhaa 2 miler and take a few pics

1 mile warm up, up Stocking lane before starting 2 miles at tempo pace (managed 6'58) followed by a 1 mile cool down.

You know you've been a lazy shlt when you see robinph on page 1 and you're on page 5

I've had alot going on last couple of weeks and I've now realised I can't multi task :D so havn't got alot of running done.
    I ran 6ish on Monday and 3ish on Tuesday but I now have everything else sorted so should be able to get some good miles in.

Emily joined Tallaght last night and had a great little session. There targeting the xc season now and she has a race next Saturday. Very proud of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

The negative is I'm not as confident as a couple of weeks ago regarding Rathfarnham so I've decided I'll still run it but Racepix 5km is going to be goal race, plenty of perfect training to be had.

Our double or nothing bet can be switched to the Racepix 5k if you want. That way i can get the winnings off you at the DCM a week later :D

Our double or nothing bet can be switched to the Racepix 5k if you want. That way i can get the winnings off you at the DCM a week later :D

I'll take that deal ;)
    what a nice bookie you are

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Emily joined Tallaght last night and had a great little session. There targeting the xc season now and she has a race next Saturday. Very proud of her.

/ponders how long it will be until Woddle gets chicked by his daughter :D

Tuesday
    400s at goal 5km pace
    This was an annoying session. My 3 little cousins have joined Tallaght ac with Emily and they kept calling me one by one to bring them to the toilet.

Thursday
    Made the kids use the toilet beforehand and none of them bothered me for an hour :D
    400s at goal 5k pace (91-96secs) with the last one a little bit faster (75 secs)
    The 75 didn't feel too tough but looking at the HR data I got my HR up to 197 so may have been kidding myself.

I'm still going to have a crack at sub 20 out in racepix but I think the odds are against me now and Brianderunner is looking good for his €20 quid (think it's 20)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Tuesday
    400s at goal 5km pace
    This was an annoying session. My 3 little cousins have joined Tallaght ac with Emily and they kept calling me one by one to bring them to the toilet.

Thursday
    Made the kids use the toilet beforehand and none of them bothered me for an hour :D
    400s at goal 5k pace (91-96secs) with the last one a little bit faster (75 secs)
    The 75 didn't feel too tough but looking at the HR data I got my HR up to 197 so may have been kidding myself.

I'm still going to have a crack at sub 20 out in racepix but I think the odds are against me now and Brianderunner is looking good for his €20 quid (think it's 20)

You never know might make it to the start line of that 5k to, will see a couple of week out, but if your going to be going for sub 20 it would be rude note to race you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I might make an appearance for my sub 20 attempt ;)

^^^
    great stuff the more the merrier aiming for sub 20, can only be a plus for me.

Just updated my offline log and I've only run 5 times in September, I'm so annoyed at myself as it was more laziness than anything, what a waste of 3 weeks. Anyway I'm looking up and I don't feel like I've lost too much fitness. A good 5 week patch should see me good.
    After todays run I feel I'm in about 21:15 ish shape.

Todays run was a 5 miler in which I took it easy but then pushed on a bit and felt great. Heart rate got a little high towards the end but it didn't feel that bad at the time.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/114957630

• Advertisement

^^^
    great stuff the more the merrier aiming for sub 20, can only be a plus for me.

Just updated my offline log and I've only run 5 times in September, I'm so annoyed at myself as it was more laziness than anything, what a waste of 3 weeks. Anyway I'm looking up and I don't feel like I've lost too much fitness. A good 5 week patch should see me good.
    After todays run I feel I'm in about 21:15 ish shape.

Todays run was a 5 miler in which I took it easy but then pushed on a bit and felt great. Heart rate got a little high towards the end but it didn't feel that bad at the time.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/114957630

2 of your doubles ran the half today, myself and vagga both saluted them!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    2 of your doubles ran the half today, myself and vagga both saluted them!

Handsome devils I'm sure :D

Handsome devils I'm sure :D

Your doubles, not mine!:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It looks like it'll be the Tallaght 5 miler on the 9th of October.
    Rathfarnham 5km is ruled out as Emily has her second xc race.

Did she run in Donabate last weekend? What are those kids cross country races like? I'm going to bring the kid to the one on October 2nd, but my 5k comes first this weekend :pac:

RayCun wrote: »
    Did she run in Donabate last weekend? What are those kids cross country races like? I'm going to bring the kid to the one on October 2nd, but my 5k comes first this weekend :pac:

Yep that was the one. It's all very well organised. She and her friends were in the first race, it started at close to 11 and was over within a couple of mins and we were gone by 11:15, our driver had a Dublin ticket that needed picking up.
    She'll be running in next weeks. This one is 500 meters and is in the Phoenix park.
    The race your thinking of will be the 3rd league race and the distance goes up again, 600 meters for under 9 and again will be in the phoenix park.

I would absolutely recommend it, lots of fun.
    How old is she/he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Yep it was 20. Plus a euro for every second your over :p

Nasty!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The race your thinking of will be the 3rd league race and the distance goes up again, 600 meters for under 9 and again will be in the phoenix park.

I would absolutely recommend it, lots of fun.
    How old is she/he?

He's 8 - he should enjoy that one, he ran the mile in Farmleigh a couple of months ago and has been itching to race again :pac:

RayCun wrote: »
    He's 8 - he should enjoy that one, he ran the mile in Farmleigh a couple of months ago and has been itching to race again :pac:

My daughter's 6, too young?

• Advertisement

I may aswell give you a €100 now so as I'll be having a few drinks the night before, family function down in Roundwood.

You're looking good for your 20 :D

Advertisement