Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Mr Slow wrote: »
    My daughter's 6, too young?

I think so, Kate is also 6 and eager to join her sister but Tallaght won't take her till she's 7 which is fair enough.
    The races start at under 9 so you can see why but just keep doing what your doing bringing her out on the bike while you do a few slow miles as it keeps the interest up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Woddle wrote: »
    You're looking good for your 20 :D

Don't pay the ferryman, he's profiting off of our misery, go sub 20!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think so, Kate is also 6 and eager to join her sister but Tallaght won't take her till she's 7 which is fair enough.

Yep, same with Bros Pearse.
    Apparently the Little Athletics programme will take younger kids, if there's a place near you?

RayCun wrote: »
    Yep, same with Bros Pearse.
    Apparently the Little Athletics programme will take younger kids, if there's a place near you?

Funny you mention that, I've signed up to the Athletics Leader course!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Funny you mention that, I've signed up to the Athletics Leader course!

You're tired of being corrected on everything! :pac:
    Might end up doing the same thing - the club are looking for people to help out once a week, so I might stick to running at one session and coach at the other...

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    You're tired of being corrected on everything! :pac:
    Might end up doing the same thing - the club are looking for people to help out once a week, so I might stick to running at one session and coach at the other...

There's one on this Saturday in Tallaght, I can't make that one unfortunately.

There's one on this Saturday in Tallaght, I can't make that one unfortunately.

Look out for the next one in Tallaght, as the indoor/outdoor fascilities are top notch. On top of the athletics leader, you'll have to do a code of practice (I think that's what it's called) and get garda vetted.

You could also consider bypassing the athletics leader and do a level 1 coaching course, your club would love you then and it's well worth doing, I'm currently waiting for a level 2.

You could also consider bypassing the athletics leader and do a level 1 coaching course, your club would love you then and it's well worth doing, I'm currently waiting for a level 2.

I'm not involved with a club nor do I intend to in the next while, I want something to help me entertain the kids :)

Up to the track tonight for a bit of a makey up session while Emily was doing her training.

0.75 miles of a warm up, followed by
    5x400m (87,88,89,96,94) I was aiming for 95s and finally got it right by the 4th
    5x200m (35,37,38,37,37) No aim just to try and run smoothly
    2x400m (94,93)

No time for a cool down as the kids were finished.

As Maurice Green once said ''less of the bs'' but here's my thoughts on why I've been so lazy the last few weeks.

No more mile or 800m races to try and hit my targets, follow that with a poor 10 mile performance in the Frank Duffy and it's left me a little de-motivated.

New plan, aim for a spring half marathon which will leave me in good form for the graded meets when they start in late April. I like my new plan and I just have to look at Gerard65 and Shels log to realise this approach works.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/116306110

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Look out for the next one in Tallaght, as the indoor/outdoor fascilities are top notch. On top of the athletics leader, you'll have to do a code of practice (I think that's what it's called) and get garda vetted.

He's screwed then, he's from Limerick! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Slowly build your milage. Forget about pace and time and just focus on 'time on your feet'. The more miles in the bank the better. After a couple of months introduce some tempo miles.
    I can't prove this worked for me yet, but I'm feeling fitter and stronger than ever. I've also lost nearly a stone in weight over the summer which is an advantage one way or the other.
    But be warned, it takes patience to plod the miles day after day.
    That was phase 1. Phase 2 starts next week. I'm still experimenting with this method but so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

No more mile or 800m races to try and hit my targets, follow that with a poor 10 mile performance in the Frank Duffy and it's left me a little de-motivated.
    I definitely think the reason you may have fallen away is that you went a less popular route and therefore lost out on the momentum of the longer distance training that most of the rest of us are doing on here. You really hadn't the long distance work put in for the 10 miler so its no wonder you blew up before the finish. I mean you are probably a faster runner than me but you can definitely see where we diverged in our performances once you stayed short and my training got progressively longer.
    (No offence intended by the way, but I think you'll appreciate what I'm trying to say...?)
    New plan, aim for a spring half marathon which will leave me in good form for the graded meets when they start in late April. I like my new plan and I just have to look at Gerard65 and Shels log to realise this approach works.
    How about looking towards Waterford HM in December?
    I did this a couple of years ago and it was an excellent race where I posted a PB (which was just bettered last weekend).
    This can lay down an achievable marker for the New Year and give you focus for a good time in March/April.

I think your post reinstils to me at least the power of this Boards.ie forum. In my eyes the feedback you get here is invaluable!

He's screwed then, he's from Limerick! :D

Could be worse....Ballyfermot anyone?

Could be worse....Ballyfermot anyone?

I am not FROM Ballyfermot, I only live here. :p

My apologies, you've 'settled' in Ballyfermot then?:pac::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

My apologies, you've 'settled' in Ballyfermot then?:pac::P

Ha ha, yeah, you've ''halted'' in Ballyer! ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Ha ha, yeah, you've ''halted'' in Ballyer! ;)

Whoa Horsey! :pac:

belcarra wrote: »
    I definitely think the reason you may have fallen away is that you went a less popular route and therefore lost out on the momentum of the longer distance training that most of the rest of us are doing on here. You really hadn't the long distance work put in for the 10 miler so its no wonder you blew up before the finish. I mean you are probably a faster runner than me but you can definitely see where we diverged in our performances once you stayed short and my training got progressively longer.
    (No offence intended by the way, but I think you'll appreciate what I'm trying to say...?)

I agree with you completely, I really didn't have the longer runs done and I probably had no business racing a 10 miler.
    Don't think I'm faster than you at all, I actually think we were progressing like for like for a while (until the 10 miler :D

How about looking towards Waterford HM in December?
    I did this a couple of years ago and it was an excellent race where I posted a PB (which was just bettered last weekend).
    This can lay down an achievable marker for the New Year and give you focus for a good time in March/April.

Just gone and booked my half marathon, April 1st, Berlin, love the city so it should be easy to keep my focus over the winter.
    I think your post reinstils to me at least the power of this Boards.ie forum. In my eyes the feedback you get here is invaluable!
    Absolutely

Base building starts now.
    A nice relaxing 4 and a bit up around the hills, felt fantastic and what a morning for it.

• Advertisement

Just gone and booked my half marathon, April 1st, Berlin, love the city so it should be easy to keep my focus over the winter.

Good choice, if Connemara wasn't on the same day I'd consider it myself. I'm probably going to travel for a half marathon next year, will probably go somewhere in June or July for a good stab and my HM time.

Good choice, if Connemara wasn't on the same day I'd consider it myself. I'm probably going to travel for a half marathon next year, will probably go somewhere in June or July for a good stab and my HM time.

Cork?

Cork?

Not quite exotic enough for me!

Not quite exotic enough for me!

Exotic Eh?........Limerick?:D

5 miles this afternoon, very windy but still enjoyable.

Emily had another xc race out in the phoenix park this morning, saw mrslow, RQ and Aimmann ticking along nicely on the way.
    Emily had another good race, two of her best friends from school have joined the club also and they seemed to stick together in a pack.

So that's her 2 school friends, a neighbour and her 3 cousins all after joining the club, so hopefully with so many going each week it'll keep her interested, lots of fun to be had.

Tallaght should sign me as a recruiter and pay me commission :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Tallaght should sign me as a recruiter and pay me commission :D

I don't think it would look too good on your CV that you were paid by a third party to arrange for the supply of kids...:p

I don't think it would look too good on your CV that you were paid by a third party to arrange for the supply of kids...:p

Re-reading it now makes it sound wrong, congrats on the solid pb today.

Just over 5 miles this evening, felt good. I'd like to try and get the early morning routine back in action, hopefully tomorrow.

5.4 miles at aerobic pace.
    I managed to keep the HR down even with the heat and wind but I felt my form was a little sloppy or sth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Southend in June is as flat as you'll find, is Essex exotic enough for you? :p

Woddle, are you still running the Racepix 5k and are we doubling down on it? We can cancel the bet or move it on to something else if you want?

Advertisement