Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

ultraman1 wrote: »
    why plan for timed walk breaks,if you u are running to HR,why not just walk when ur heart rate goes over whatever limit u set and run again when it goes below...

Kind of did that towards the end, had me stopping every couple of mins :D
    The heart rate was a big fail today aswell. The plan is to just make sure that I'm staying easy but as I said fail. I might end up following a suggestion you made when we ran together last year. You were training for an ultra and were thinking 5 mile run 1 mile walk.

you did more miles than me today;)

Only a couple of miles more but about twice the time :D

Either way, it's still time on your feet and that's a very good thing at this stage.

True but it really shows how my endurance = zero but hey what can you expect after 5 weeks back :D

Those gels were lovely, tasted like cool pops.

Well it's taken me the last 2 days to feel anyway recovered from the weekends long run. I finally got out today and felt very laboured. Heart rate was good but legs were tired.
    I've been in touch with the Cork marathon folks about dropping to the half. I feel it's the sensible thing to do, if I can't drop down I'll just run it as a half.
    I'm not too disappointed as it served it's purpose, which was getting the finger out. I have a very soft marathon PB and I think even with the shape I'm in now I can take a few minutes off it.

Today 5 miles in 45 mins with a AHR of 162, 75%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Woddle wrote: »
    Well it's taken me the last 2 days to feel anyway recovered from the weekends long run. I finally got out today and felt very laboured. Heart rate was good but legs were tired.
    I've been in touch with the Cork marathon folks about dropping to the half. I feel it's the sensible thing to do, if I can't drop down I'll just run it as a half.
    I'm not too disappointed as it served it's purpose, which was getting the finger out. I have a very soft marathon PB and I think even with the shape I'm in now I can take a few minutes off it.

Today 5 miles in 45 mins with a AHR of 162, 75%
    Maybe a good call, no point suffering around a marathon and not enjoying it. You seem to be enjoying the shorter stuff so will you focus on the 1500m on the track this summer?

Whats your marathon pb?

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    Maybe a good call, no point suffering around a marathon and not enjoying it. You seem to be enjoying the shorter stuff so will you focus on the 1500m on the track this summer?

Whats your marathon pb?

I'll be hoping to do a couple of graded meets before the end of the summer and roll on to DM.

1500m - 5'14 graded meet 09
    Marathon 3'37 DM08

I was actually looking at my 08 log today and I spotted this interesting fact. I ran 26'30 for a 5km in March and then ran 3'37 for the marathon in October.
    Right now I reckon I'm quicker over 5k :D so sub 3'30in Dublin this year.

I noticed on your log you're keeping your training paces very quiet :D sneaky

I'll be hoping to do a couple of graded meets before the end of the summer and roll on to DM.

1500m - 5'14 graded meet 09
    Marathon 3'37 DM08

I was actually looking at my 08 log today and I spotted this interesting fact. I ran 26'30 for a 5km in March and then ran 3'37 for the marathon in October.
    Right now I reckon I'm quicker over 5k :D so sub 3'30in Dublin this year.

I noticed on your log you're keeping your training paces very quiet :D sneaky

yep you were running very well at that time, and were really consistant if you can stay injury free and keep going until dublin you should run a pb. I think you did longford at that time too?

I'm not too worried about my training pace at the moment just building up, will stick times back in at some point (maybe) was planning to shock you when I run 2:59 in Berlin ;)

At the moment most my miles are 8:30/9:40 range with only a couple faster.

* no plan to run anywhere near 2:59

shels4ever wrote: »
    . I think you did longford at that time too?

and Berlin :D

2'59 next year ;) for you, might join you

and Berlin :D

2'59 next year ;) for you, might join you
    Ah yes I remember that now.
    After Berlin not sure when I'll run another marathon have a few other plans after that first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It's unlikely I'm afraid. The half has a cap of 1,000 and it sold out months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's unlikely I'm afraid. The half has a cap of 1,000 and it sold out months ago.
    I suspect even though entry is closed for new entrants, they may still allow you to transfer to a different event on the same day.
    After all, the cap is imposed to prevent excessive congestion on the route and you won't be an additional body on the course if you run the half.

Last weeks workout
    1. 4'08, AHR 174
    recovery 2'30
    2. 4'15, AHR 181
    recovery 2'30
    3. 4'18, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    4. 4'18, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    5. 4'15, AHR 184

5k in 21'14 (4'15 per k average), AHR 180, max HR 193

1. 4'13, AHR 170
    recovery 2'30
    2. 4'15, AHR 176
    recovery 2'30
    3. 4'14, AHR 177
    recovery 2'30
    4. 4'20, AHR 178
    recovery 2'30
    5. 4'15, AHR 180

5k in 21'18 (4'16 per k average), AHR 176, max HR 190

Well tonight made 4 Thursdays in a row of 1k reps, can't ever remember being this consistent with regards to speed training. I met Meno and Sharktale for these but it would be mainly myself and sharktale sticking together. We paced these brilliantly apart from me on the 4th. My legs felt heavy doing these (maybe Sundays 18 still in the legs) and every rep felt harder than last week but when I scan over my AHR for this evenings session, it's noticeably lower, surely a good sign. I really didn't want to do the last rep but we were joined by mithrill at this stage and between him and sharktale they dragged me around the last, thanks :D
    There'll be no more 18 milers or the like in my running calendar for the forseeable future so hope to hammer next weeks reps.

7.35 miles in total.

Meno told me I might need the large version in the new boards tech top, I can take a hint :D so going to be even more strict on diet.

oh and also no anxiety issues tonight. yay

I watched James Cracknell in the coldest toughest race this morning and I have to say I think the guy is a legend.
    I had planned to meet Donotstopforpop for a recce of the Wicklow way relay leg 1. The last time I did this recce a few years ago I got lost but what I remembered was hills.
    We were joined by a couple of lean Rathfarnham athletes aswell but they kind of ran on, yep I was slow tonight but there was a reason, the hills :D
    Anyway off we went and your straight into a climb for over 2 miles and into a strong wind. I already felt like I was working too hard and wanted to stop but whenever I wanted to stop I just thought James Cracknell, can't believe this worked. After the climb I really enjoyed the downhill, it gave my calfs a break but then I started feeling it in my quads.
    After the downhill we hit the road and I was delighted (donotstop not so much :D ) the 3 lads were stretching away from me but I didn't mind, I was saving myself for the next climb and I didn't know when it was coming.
    It came just after 4.5 miles and it went on forever, my back was really hurting now aswell but I had Mr motivator beside me who told me we're just there, I thought ok and then I got there and there was more, then DP said only 600 meters, guess what he lied again :D and when I saw the next climb I was done, I was about to walk but then I thought James Cracknell and ploughed on. The rest was downhill and although I was feeling stiff, I was also feeling rather satisfied. I was delighted that I didn't give in to the darkside.
    In total just under 9 miles (garmin froze twice) in about 90 minutes, AHR very high (forgot to put the monitor on)
    We stopped in 3rock at the end for a well deserved pint, might not sound like it from the above report but I actually enjoyed it.

Tonights recce of leg 1
    Thanks for an enjoyable run DP and pulling me through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Very enjoyable run, and a nice couple of pints after. Always a pleasure Dave:)
    Thanks for an enjoyable run DP and pulling me through.

I never touched you, you pulled yourself through. It hurts like hell going up a mountain, especially if you're not used to it. Legs in screaming pain, breathing laboured, muscles aching- everything is telling you "walk", except the part of you that has you out there in the first place. You got yourself up those hills, without stopping, and it was inspirational to see you do it. That run will have huge benefits for you in the future, you know you can push through the pain. Well done.

Not really, but the plan is to start having 5 day running weeks starting this week. I'm really really going to try and start running in the mornings as the days just keep getting away from me. So bed early last night, asleep by 10 and up at 5am :eek: and out the door at 5:30.
    I felt very sluggish but my heart rate stayed low which was great. The plan was 7 but after 3.5 miles I started having stomach cramps, I walked for a few minutes to see if they'd go away and they did. To make up for the walking I picked up the pace and ran a 7'30 mile and it felt good. When I finished that mile I took the shorter route home as the cramps had returned, with each step they got worse. For a few minutes I really thought I wasn't going to make it and was looking for a possible solution but there was none to be found on a main road. Thankfully I made it home in the nick of time... ooh the relief :D

5.5 miles at an easy pace bar a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

had the same problem last week.took a pit stop and too my suprise a couple and their dog had seen me:o
    Are you gona follow a programme ???
    Im finding a coach really working for me,I want to do a race every week but know if I do it will ruin the consistant training im doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Are you gona follow a programme ???
    Im finding a coach really working for me,I want to do a race every week but know if I do it will ruin the consistant training im doing.

Woddle is uncoachable :D He drove poor RacingFlat nuts :)

Woddle is uncoachable :D

Racing flats last words to me :D

I definitely do plan to take the next step and join a club, I just have to look at mistys log and see what it's done for him and I'll probably start looking at clubs in a couple of months.

Had a very enjoyable run yesterday evening.
    My daughter has packed in her gaa training but I told her she has do sth else instead. So she wants to be a runner :D . She is too young to join dsd so she's going to go for a jog with her daddy on a Tuesday and Friday for the next few months. We did a lap of St Endas park and she was delighted with herself and we had a really nice chat along the way.

In bed early again last night and again out the door at 5:30 for 6 miles. My legs felt heavy and the 6 miles felt like they were the last 6 of a marathon. Delighted to be done for the day and it gives me 36 hours till my next run to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I definitely do plan to take the next step and join a club...
    My daughter has packed in her gaa training but I told her she has do sth else instead. So she wants to be a runner :D ...

You should both come down to Bros Pearse. There's a big bunch of kids in three or four age groups, and a dozen adult runners training at the same time. Tuesdays and thursdays, 7-8pm.

RayCun wrote: »
    You should both come down to Bros Pearse. There's a big bunch of kids in three or four age groups, and a dozen adult runners training at the same time. Tuesdays and thursdays, 7-8pm.

Will definitely come into consideration as I like the idea of going training together.

• Advertisement

Last weeks
    1. 4'13, AHR 170
    recovery 2'30
    2. 4'15, AHR 176
    recovery 2'30
    3. 4'14, AHR 177
    recovery 2'30
    4. 4'20, AHR 178
    recovery 2'30
    5. 4'15, AHR 180

5k in 21'18 (4'16 per k average), AHR 176, max HR 190

1. 4'10, AHR 172
    recovery 2'30
    2. 4'13, AHR 178
    recovery 2'30
    3. 4'13, AHR 180
    recovery 2'30
    4. 4'18, AHR 181
    recovery 2'30
    5. 4'20, AHR 182

5k in 21'14 (4'15 per k average), AHR 178, max HR 190

Tonight makes 5 Thursdays in a row of this session and the one thing I can take from it is that I'm consistent. Heart rate was back up slightly also. I did the first 3 with meno, mithrill and sharktale and for the last 2 it was just me and sharktale (sharktale also did a 6th, I just couldn't muster the strenght)

Next week this is on the agenda if anyone fancies it.
    6x1 mile @10k pace

I'm racing on Sunday for the first time since the Cork relay last June :eek:
    It's a 5 mile race and I'm not too sure what time I'm capable of. I do know that I'd be disappointed not to run sub 40 so maybe that should be the aim but I also have a thought at the back of mind saying sub 38. Really excited.

ps Finally over 200 miles for the year :D

Sub 38 be no problem for you.Maybe go out @ sub 40 pace and try stay controlled.If you get caught up in going too fast when not fully fit it's going to be a long way home :eek:

Sub 38 be no problem for you.Maybe go out @ sub 40 pace and try stay controlled.If you get caught up in going too fast when not fully fit it's going to be a long way home :eek:

Going to run the course Saturday morning at 9am if you've any interest?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Any reason for running 5 miles the day before a 5 mile race? or are you just doing one lap?

Sub 38 will be no bother to you.

Any reason for running 5 miles the day before a 5 mile race? or are you just doing one lap?

Don't know the new course at all and it'll be just an easy 5 won't take anything out of me. Recces are important you know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

As RQ says, it's a two lap course - you won't learn anything from a recce of the second lap :)
    (There's not a lot to see anyway, it's all very flat and straight)

some of us have to work,on a better not I booked a holiday in club le santa today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I'm racing on Sunday for the first time since the Cork relay last June :eek:
    It's a 5 mile race and I'm not too sure what time I'm capable of. I do know that I'd be disappointed not to run sub 40 so maybe that should be the aim but I also have a thought at the back of mind saying sub 38. Really excited.

Good luck in your first race in a year - don't forget to enjoy it.

4.25 miles this morning broken into 2 runs.
    I met Perkina for a light jog around the sportsworld 5 mile course and then I headed to Marlay with my daughter for a mile and a quarter. Really enjoyed the run in marlay lots of runners about and they all acknowledged her, she thought she was deadly :D(she is)

The recce of sportsworld 5 was well worth it and one of the things I took out of it is I'll be looking for windbreakers going up Whitehall road :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Best of luck tomorrow.

Advertisement