Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

jlang wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow.

Are you running it yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Can I ask what age is your daughter Woddle? Mine is 12 soon and is starting to take an interest in my running. I would like to maybe start running with her over the summer. Did ye run the mile and a quarter non stop? Im wondering how best to get her started- dont want to kill her on the first run:D

Bally8 wrote: »
    Can I ask what age is your daughter Woddle? Mine is 12 soon and is starting to take an interest in my running. I would like to maybe start running with her over the summer. Did ye run the mile and a quarter non stop? Im wondering how best to get her started- dont want to kill her on the first run:D

Hi Bally8
    She's only 7 :eek: but has a really good interest.
    Yep she ran it non stop and ran the mile in 10'50. A mile is plenty for her now and I wouldn't have her doing much more. The plan is 2 days a week of easy running and it seems to be easy for her, even todays run she was talking the whole way round and was jumping trying to pull leaves down off trees :D
    We're running on grass mainly. She won't be timing it but I might time the odd one out of curiousity. The plan will also be to get her in a club when she's 8 and there's plenty of choice where we live. I'll probably do a few sprints with her aswell and make them fun.

For your 12 year old I'd get her out running with you now, great bonding sessions for mam and daughter and she's getting to an age were most girls would probably be packing sport in. You could consider doing the AAI level 1 course which I'd recommend and it's aimed at coaching kids rather than adults. Maybe start with 2 days a week and give her the maximum recovery between days, make it all easy running and make sure she knows she can walk whenever she wants. I've told my daughter she can walk if she needs to but she refuses and this is why I'll be sticking to a mile max as she'll do harm to herself. After a while and if she is still interested consider getting her into a club or involved in the school team.
    I hope some of this helps and you never know she could have a talent for it maybe show her all the other disciplines also such as sprinting and jumps.
    Best of luck with it and feel free to ask any more questions.

sportsworld 5 mile 2011
    Great race and it was also great to see and meet so many boardsies (who all seemed to run well despite the bit of a wind)

All I have time for now as I'm heading to Hook for a round trip :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Woddle wrote: »
    sportsworld 5 mile 2011
    Great race and it was also great to see and meet so many boardsies (who all seemed to run well despite the bit of a wind)

Nice steady running there (not like you ;)), good to have you back on the racing circuit

• Advertisement

sportsworld 5 mile 2011

Officially the slowest time I've ever run for 5 miles in a race but man did I love it.
    I woke this morning feeling nervous but fresh and couldn't wait to get going. I started a good bit back, this was on purpose to make sure I didn't start too fast. Soon after the hooter went I realised I had my watch on KMs :confused: so had no idea of pace other than under 5 minute ks is close to 8 minute miles. Auto lap was still set to miles and the first one was 7'21 but felt easy, Vagga had gone by me at this stage but as much as I wanted to go with him I decided against it and slowed down. It's been a while since I've raced and I was worried I'd blow up. Other than racing conservatively I feel like I raced smart, staying with a group before trying to catch the next group. I found running up Whitehall rd tough and on the last mile I noticed the pace had dropped to 5'03 per km. With about 600 meters to go I picked it up and managed to finish strong pipping a lady on the line but more importantly getting the pace from 5'03 to 4'49.
    I finished in 38'42 by gun time but 38'30 by crossing the line time.
    Todays race marked the end of my 7th week back training and take note of these words I'll be aiming for sub 35 in the rish runner 5 mile or at least I'll give it a good crack :D
    Next race is the Dunshaughlin 10k, I have 6 weeks to train for it and the target will be sub 45. Bring it on.
    And just to say again really nice to meet so many boardsies today and look forward to meeting you all agin soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

well done woddle - comeback well on track. see you in dunshaughlin!

well done woddle - comeback well on track. see you in dunshaughlin!

Congrats yourself, just finished reading your report, super time for someone not in the humour :D

Plan for the week

Mon - rest
    Tue - 5 mile easy
    Wed - 5 mile easy
    Thu - 7/8 including 4x 1 mile @10k pace
    Fri - rest
    Sat - 5 mile easy
    Sun - 11/12 miles hopefully with beepbeep over legs 3 and 4 of the Wicklow way relay

That's the plan and there shouldn't be a problem doing it.
    I've been relegated to sub in the WWR but that's to be expected, alot of strong runners who are way ahead of me at the moment and some tough choices for the boss no doubt. Might try and push the pace a little quicker on Sundays run, will be a nice test for the Cork half. Oh yeah I've been given the go ahead to drop down to the half from the full so fairly happy.
    Played football tonight and my back is now acting up so I think I'll just have to knock it on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Officially the slowest time I've ever run for 5 miles in a race but man did I love it.
    I woke this morning feeling nervous but fresh and couldn't wait to get going. I started a good bit back, this was on purpose to make sure I didn't start too fast. Soon after the hooter went I realised I had my watch on KMs :confused: so had no idea of pace other than under 5 minute ks is close to 8 minute miles. Auto lap was still set to miles and the first one was 7'21 but felt easy, Vagga had gone by me at this stage but as much as I wanted to go with him I decided against it and slowed down. It's been a while since I've raced and I was worried I'd blow up. Other than racing conservatively I feel like I raced smart, staying with a group before trying to catch the next group. I found running up Whitehall rd tough and on the last mile I noticed the pace had dropped to 5'03 per km. With about 600 meters to go I picked it up and managed to finish strong pipping a lady on the line but more importantly getting the pace from 5'03 to 4'49.
    I finished in 38'42 by gun time but 38'30 by crossing the line time.
    Todays race marked the end of my 7th week back training and take note of these words I'll be aiming for sub 35 in the rish runner 5 mile or at least I'll give it a good crack :D
    Next race is the Dunshaughlin 10k, I have 6 weeks to train for it and the target will be sub 45. Bring it on.
    And just to say again really nice to meet so many boardsies today and look forward to meeting you all agin soon.

Hey Woddle,
    I ran most of the first lap alongside you on Sunday (I was in the black DCM shirt). It was my first race this year after only 2 weeks training and came in about 20secs behind you in the end (You pushed on a bit/I slowed down a bit on the second lap).
    Your run seemed really disciplined alright...I know this because ya didn't bother to share in the drafting duties on Whitehall road!!:D
    I managed to dry heave three times after I crossed the line so pretty sure I gave it my all on the day!!
    I'll be keeping an eye on your training log as I intend to do Donore 5km and then the Dunshaughlin 10k. My main medium term target race though will be my home race in Mayo, the Balla 10k in late July so hopefully loads of learnings to take away for that from the next few weeks!

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Hey Woddle,
    I ran most of the first lap alongside you on Sunday (I was in the black DCM shirt). It was my first race this year after only 2 weeks training and came in about 20secs behind you in the end (You pushed on a bit/I slowed down a bit on the second lap).
    Your run seemed really disciplined alright...I know this because ya didn't bother to share in the drafting duties on Whitehall road!!:D

Your right and sorry about that :D Good run from yourself though and only back 2 weeks, so fair play.
    I plan on doing both those races aswell, not sure what time I'm capable of for the 5k but I reckon I should be ahead of the mcmillan calculator 23 minsish and would like a 21:sth.
    Have you a time in mind? Maybe we could work together :D

Would the Thursday speed sessions suit you on a Thursday evening in marlay park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

but man did I love it,pipeping a lady on the line .
    I QUOTE]
    in some countries u could arrestted for this sort of behaviour...

ultraman1 wrote: »
    but man did I love it,pipeping a lady on the line .
    I QUOTE]
    in some countries u could arrestted for this sort of behaviour...

You just can't help yourself can you :D

Reading a few logs today and decided to find a few of my pb's. Thanks for the table emer911 :D

Distance |Current Best |Goal time | 2011 Best
    800m | 2:31| 2:29 |
    1500m | 5:14| 4:59 |
    5k | 19:25| 19:59 |
    5miles | 33:07 | 33:59 | 38:30
    10k | 44:10| 42:00 |
    10miles | 69:18 | 69:59 |
    Half Marathon | 1:44:?? | 1:35 |
    Marathon | 3:37:45 | 3:29:59|

A few soft pbs among the lot. I hope by the end of the year to hit my targets and I plan on racing alot more. The one I'd really love to hit first though is the 800 meters. If I don't think I can hit that I won't bother turning up for the race. The race is a graded meet at the end of July and I just feel if I can't hit that time I'll only embarrass myself as the standard is pretty good.
    I also feel I've worked out some good training for the future that should allow me to race over a few varying distances before getting stuck into a plan for DM

Your right and sorry about that :D Good run from yourself though and only back 2 weeks, so fair play.
    I plan on doing both those races aswell, not sure what time I'm capable of for the 5k but I reckon I should be ahead of the mcmillan calculator 23 minsish and would like a 21:sth.
    Have you a time in mind? Maybe we could work together :D

Would the Thursday speed sessions suit you on a Thursday evening in marlay park?

I'm hoping for a steep improvement curve for the next few weeks but not counting on it in any way! My hope for the 5k will be <23mins...Not really ran that exact distance too often though so that target is only a guesstimation. 21:xx would be a fair bit off for me yet I'd say.

I was reading about those 10k sessions over the past couple of days. They appear to make sense so I'm gonna try the 6 x 1 mile sessions this evening on my own in the local park (An inch perfect mile loop:)) @ 7:14/mile. I predict I'll manage the first couple, struggle with 3 & 4, and end up plodding the final 2 laps. But that's ok tonight...i just want to see where I currently stand.

Unfortunately, Marlay would be difficult for me as it's polar opposite of Santry where i live.
    Now, did I hear someone mention the Phoenix Park???...

belcarra wrote: »
    Now, did I hear someone mention the Phoenix Park???...

It's a possible, majority rules and all that, I'll set up a poll on the mcmillan thread and see where the majority prefer.
    Funny you should mention 7:14 pace as thats what I was planning on starting the session at as it equates to sub 45. Best of luck tonight, let me know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi Bally8
    She's only 7 :eek: but has a really good interest.
    Yep she ran it non stop and ran the mile in 10'50. A mile is plenty for her now and I wouldn't have her doing much more. The plan is 2 days a week of easy running and it seems to be easy for her, even todays run she was talking the whole way round and was jumping trying to pull leaves down off trees :D
    We're running on grass mainly. She won't be timing it but I might time the odd one out of curiousity. The plan will also be to get her in a club when she's 8 and there's plenty of choice where we live. I'll probably do a few sprints with her aswell and make them fun.

For your 12 year old I'd get her out running with you now, great bonding sessions for mam and daughter and she's getting to an age were most girls would probably be packing sport in. You could consider doing the AAI level 1 course which I'd recommend and it's aimed at coaching kids rather than adults. Maybe start with 2 days a week and give her the maximum recovery between days, make it all easy running and make sure she knows she can walk whenever she wants. I've told my daughter she can walk if she needs to but she refuses and this is why I'll be sticking to a mile max as she'll do harm to herself. After a while and if she is still interested consider getting her into a club or involved in the school team.
    I hope some of this helps and you never know she could have a talent for it maybe show her all the other disciplines also such as sprinting and jumps.
    Best of luck with it and feel free to ask any more questions.

Thanks a million Woddle- I have been on complete bed rest for the last few days so couldnt reply sooner. I would be very interested in the AAI Level 1 course. Have talked to my daughter again and even though she changes her mind every day (depending on whether she is thinking I'm cool or a total embarrassment:D), we have decided to go for our first proper run together on Saturday. But it HAS to be somewhere her friends wont see us! We will try the mile with optional walk breaks to start. Thanks again

It's a possible, majority rules and all that, I'll set up a poll on the mcmillan thread and see where the majority prefer.
    Funny you should mention 7:14 pace as thats what I was planning on starting the session at as it equates to sub 45. Best of luck tonight, let me know how you get on.

Bit of a false start feel to tonight's session. These will be tough but hopefully manageable in the medium term if not right now!
    I hope to be closer to the target sesion in a weeks time.

Stupid football. It's caused me to use my 2 rest days up already. I had a few niggles yesterday so thought it wise to give running a miss.

Out the door by 5:30 this morning, really nice morning for a run. Decided to do a route I havn't done in a long long time
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/86379129
    Starts with nearly 2 miles 3k of climbing before rolling and then a decline stretched out over the last few miles km :D
    I had trouble with cramps again and was lucky to make it back with no pit stops. I also still felt a few niggles but nothing serious.

9.87km(6.13 miles) in 58 mins
    AHR 150

These early runs appear to be great for keeping the HR down.

Now time to wake the baby and give her a dose of her own medicine :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good man on getting the early runs in, sets you up nicely for the day.

Good man on getting the early runs in, sets you up nicely for the day.

It sure does and I had the best one ever this morning. I was to go with Emily (eldest daughter) on Wednesday afternoon but I still had a few niggles, so I told her we'd go in the morning. At 7am I was surprised to see her already in her T-shirt and shorts raring to go :D
    Weather was lovely this morning and we ran about a mile and had a great little chat. Really nice run.

This evening was mile reps in preperation for the start of Mcmillans workout next week. The plan was 4 x 1 mile with 4 minute recovery all to be done a little slower than goal 10km pace (7'30). This session was to give me an idea on how realistic a 7'15 pace (4'30 km) was. I had the super company of sharktale, meno and claralara for the session.
    The first one was done way too fast but it felt fine (for the most part) 7'08
    For the second I really wanted to hit the 7'30 target but ended up running too fast again 7'16. I then hit the next 2 in 7'22 and 7'24 still a little faster than planned but it all felt good and I'll start next week at 7'15s.
    After the last rep myself and sharktale took a 3 minute jog before doing 4x 35 seconds fast with 1 minute recovery jog in between. This was just to work on form and it all felt good.

Just over 10.2 miles today.
    Last weeks
    1. 4'10, AHR 172
    recovery 2'30
    2. 4'13, AHR 178
    recovery 2'30
    3. 4'13, AHR 180
    recovery 2'30
    4. 4'18, AHR 181
    recovery 2'30
    5. 4'20, AHR 182

5k in 21'14 (4'15 per k average), AHR 178, max HR 190

1. 7'08, AHR 177
    recovery 4'00
    2. 7'16, AHR 179
    recovery 4'00
    3. 7'22, AHR 180
    recovery 4'00
    4. 7'24, AHR 180
    recovery 3'00

4 miles in 29'11 (4'32 per k average), AHR 178, max HR 190

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

what are these 'miles' you speak of?

RayCun wrote: »
    what are these 'miles' you speak of?

:D too tired to work it out but will do better.
    8k run tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Don't forget to taper for Sunday :p

Just a tad bit over 8k this morning, my legs were very tired especially towards the end but still a nice run.
    AHR 155, bit high.

Now another easy 8k tomorrow should have me ready for a recce of leg 3 and 4 of the Wicklow way on Sunday.

Similar route to yesterdays, the only difference was the park gates were opened, so I got to run in the park. However the gate at the opposite side was still locked so I had to jump over the wall and the exact same thing happened in the next park.
    Normally I wouldn't have cared but this mornings run was just horrible.
    I nearly wasn't going.
    I had my alarm set for 7am but at 5:30am I woke and knocked it off and went back asleep but then the baby did me a favour, she woke at 6:45am. So I jumped up out of bed and put my running gear on, did not tell my wife that I had planned to skip the run and out the door I went :D

Although I didn't enjoy the run I'm still glad I got out and got it done.

Just over 8k in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

but then the baby did me a favour, she woke at 6:45am. So I jumped up out of bed and put my running gear on,

You just left the baby there? Forshame!:p

mrslow wrote: »
    You just left the baby there? Forshame!:p

:D not quite, I was actually a little selfish this morning. The choice was a run or get up and mind baby while wife has a lie in. She won't get one tomorrow either but I told her I'll schedule a rest day for next Saturday :D
    Alot on today so I wouldn't have got out later, currently minding the 3 kids before we head off to a communion party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

:D not quite, I was actually a little selfish this morning. The choice was a run or get up and mind baby while wife has a lie in. She won't get one tomorrow either but I told her I'll schedule a rest day for next Saturday :D

Ha, what a prince! She's a lucky girl ;):pac:

Advertisement