Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Wottle

Cheers and great to see you've booked same hotel. I'm going over with a friend, more than welcome to join us for dinner on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

If he asks you to accompany him to a pharmacy, run away, fast…🤣

TbL

Jan 6th - last day in Portugal, timed it for the sunrise on the way home, beautiful. 5 miles easy 8'50 pace, HR nice and low.

Jan 7th - 5 miles with the group, super easy, 10'30 miling.

Jan 8th - Marlay Parkrun (20'33), so happy with this. Had the song from Sing street "go now" in my head last few days and there's a line "you'll never know if you don't find out". This was huge motivation for me as I do feel fitter and have shifted 4kg but I've proved nothing, till today.

Felt strong throughout and won every battle I had, including the one up the forest on the 4th km. Normally I struggle here but not today.

Going in the right direction.

Jan 9th - Long run from Marlay to Bohernabreena and back. Started with a friend who's also targeting sub 3'30, after 4 miles we bumped into another friend. Strong breeze in our faces but once up at the reservoir it was unnoticeable. The plan was to pick the pace up on the way back down for 5 miles, started with a slight downhill before levelling out. The effort felt easy and came in at 7'45.

Felt good throughout and the HR was well down, also practiced fueling and seemed to get it right.

56 miles for the week

Jan 10th (Mon) - Rest, I'd run 19 of last 20 days and Sunday's long run inflamed the anterior tibialis tendon. This is the same injury I got this time last year that led to 3 missed weeks.

Shaved a section of the leg, used some kinesiology tape, cut a V into the tongue of my shoe, foam rolled my calves, used the massage gun on the muscle to the side of shin bone and alternated heat & cold.

Jan 11th (Tue) - 5E, pace 8'44, AHR 143, run felt super easy, however the pain started as a 1 but finished at approximately 4.

Spent the rest of the day repeating Monday's rehab.

Jan 12th (Wed) - Got my booster, more foam rolling and gave myself a few more hours. I normally run early in the morning but headed out just before 5pm. Spent a lot of time concentrating on foot placement and a quicker cadence, seems to have worked well, no pain, just a couple of reminders on downhill sections.

6E with strides sprinkled throughout, pace 8'09, AHR 149

Couldn't believe how easy this run felt. After the run my Garmin gave me a VO2 point back. Really feel like I'm going in the right direction.

Fingers crossed the tendon behaves overnight.

• Advertisement

Jan 13th (Thu) - 10 miles with 2x3 mile at 300w off 1 mile jog recovery. I chose an undulating route, so the splits are between 7'00 and 7'30, one of the advantages of using stryd, you can maintain correct effort no matter the route or weather.

300w represents somewhere between marathon and half marathon pace.

My tendon is getting better but paying careful attention to foot placement throughout the 10 miler has led to sore calves. I'm more of a heel striker and running on the midfoot for so long, probably not my best idea.

Jan 14th (Fri) - rest day in the hope I can get the body right for Sunday's 20 miler. I won't take any chances though as still 38 days to go.

Jan 15th (Sat) - up early before timekeeping at Marlay parkrun. 5 miles easy at 9'00 pace, AHR 144 which is 75% of my max. I would have expected the pace to be a little quicker but I was definitely landing more on my heels in an effort to protect the lower legs.

Parkrun was great and my training partner who I thought I was closely matched with (my 20'33 and his 20'25) ran 19'4? sth.

Jan 16th (Sun) - 20 miles at 8'26 pace, AHR 153.

There were times this week when I thought this run wouldn't happen. I did everything possible throughout the week to give me every chance, rest days, cutting Vs into the tongues of two pairs of runners, kinseo tape, careful foot placement, extra vitamins, foam rolling, massage gun, cold water/hot water bottle and extra protein.

Off I went at 6:30 this morning, fully prepared to stop if I felt anything. To my surprise nothing, not a peep from the tendon and calves.

Super chuffed with the pace 40 seconds a mile faster than a month ago for less effort.

Day off tomorrow just to make sure everything returns to normal.

Jan 17th (Mon) - Rest day. Only other thing to report is that my Vaporflies arrived. Strongly considering them as my marathon shoe.

Jan 18th (Tue) - 6 miles easy, 8'41 pace, AHR 144. Calves feel like they're returning to normal, body still tired from Sunday.

Jan 19th (Wed) - 6 miles easy with 20 second strides sprinkled throughout, 8'11 pace, AHR 144.

First run in the Vaporflies, really like them, although they did rub my left Achilles a little too tightly, longer socks should resolve this. I just want to try break them in a tad, so will use them for a couple of sessions and one long run.

Sunday's run has given me a bit of confidence but it's not a coincidence that I'm running a little better, 5kg lighter really helps. Hoping I can loose another couple of kg on the way.

Jan 20th (Thu) - 10 miles with all of them between 295 & 305 watts. This would usually equal half to 10 mile effort but in the brand new spanking Vaporflies it appeared to be marathon effort. My heart rate stayed controlled and under marathon HR.

The first 3 miles were on an undulating route on back roads up to Marlay. The next 6 miles were on a 1 mile flat loop and the splits were pretty consistent between 7'15 & 7'20 pace. My mind is blown, yes I'm loosing weight and getting fitter but these shoes are spectacular and I reckon, for me anyway, that they're worth 15 seconds per mile!

I want to do a long run in them, just to have the confidence that my calves and feet can hack them, if it passes that test, I'll put them away till race day. On a high all day.

Jan 21st (Fri) - two runs, both a little over 5 miles at 9'45 pace. Ran these in the fuel cell elite for the extra cushioning, trying to mind my calves a little. Not a fan of these for racing and probably the most expensive recovery shoe I'll ever own.

Jan 22nd (Sat) - Sluggish 5 miles, 8'49 pace, AHR 144.

Jan 23rd (Sun) - 20 miles, 8'07 pace, AHR 151.

My running buddy ran 5 miles over to mine, then we ran the next 15 together before me having the last 5 solo. The run went really well, made sure to fuel up on Saturday.

Initially when I started this marathon program, I would have bitten off an arm for a 3'29 but now I'm considering quicker. I'm unsure if I'm being silly but there's a part of me that thinks 3'19 is possible. The Vaporflies are definitely a contributing factor as well as loosing over 6kg in body weight since mid December. A big concern though is a lack of 3'19 marathon paced miles, especially with only 4 weeks to go.

Today's run was in the fuelcell elite as they're super spongy and I'm just minding the calves a little.

58 miles for the week

175 for January so far.

• Advertisement

*4 weeks to Seville*

Jan 24th (Mon) - Rest day, worked on the calves and tried not to overeat.

Jan 25th (Tue) - 7 miles easy, pace 8'37, AHR 144 (75% of max). Had Marlay all to myself, one of the joys of early morning runs. Still aware of calves. Wore the fuelcell elite to help.

Jan 26th (Wed) - 7 miles easy with 20 second strides sprinkled throughout, pace 8'16, AHR 146. Again up to Marlay with the head torch, which seems to freak the birds out when I pass.

Less aware of the calves, wore the fuelcell elite again.

Long day ahead in the Phoenix Park watching the East Leinster cross country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

How do you find the Fuel Cell Elites? I have the TC version and love them.

They've grown on me for sure. My calves had been acting up and I've been reaching for them due to being super soft and they're a 10mm drop, which takes a bit more pressure off my calves. I did last week's 20 miler in them, and they were superb. Definitely have a bit more zip over my Hoka carbon X2.

I've about 200 miles on them but they still feel like new.

Only issue is taking corners, a little unstable around the ankle, like feels loose.

I'm fairly certain that the Vaporflies will be my race shoe but if not, fuelcell will get the call.

Jan 27th (Thur) - 10 mile Time Trial on a very fair, out and back course.

Needed to test the fitness, so up and out the door for 6am. First 2.5 miles are a drag and into a slight but noticeable head wind. I didn't really have an exact pace in mind for the start, it was more about not being too aggressive and feeling what was sustainable - 7'08 & 7'09

From 2.5 miles to about 7 is very speedy and this is where I tried to bank time, still trying to stay relaxed - 6'56, 6'39, 6'38, 6'42 & 6'43.

Before starting I was thinking maybe sub 71 was on and I'd be quite pleased with that but over halfway through and I'm thinking sub 70 is on, if I just don't fall apart on the hilly 8th mile. This mile starts at Ely's arch and goes up towards Churchtown and on to Nutgrove avenue. I'm no longer relaxed and straining a little 7'20

Mile 9 is along Nutgrove avenue to the Yellow house pub, fairly flat but initially I can't get the pace below seven minute miling. Had a chat with myself and just said fcuk it, do it, push 6'56.

Last mile and this is a drag back up Ballyboden road, again can't get the pace under 7 minute miling, I know a PB is on, final push and another 6'56, carried on a few more steps to avoid the Strava 9.99.

My Garmin read 69'15 which is a 2 second PB from a race I did back in 2002, the cityswift 10, think it was part of the BHAA at the time.

I remember that race so well as I limped the final half mile, got a lift to Appleby's in town to collect an engagement ring, bussed it back home and proposed to my wife in a very plain manner as my knee was busted.

Sadly Strava has added an additional 2 seconds to my time, so I'm going to say I've equalled my PB.

69'17, Pace 6'55, AHR 165 (which is a little lower than expected but could be the early start).

The runner's high was evident for the rest of the day, yes the run comes with an asterisk as I had the amazing Vaporflies on and they were without doubt the number 1 contributing factor but I've also been consistent with my training of late, I've lost 6.5kg since mid December and to get motoring at 6am is hard going.

Still some thinking to do regarding Seville targets.

Jan 28th (Fri) - Recovery group run, 5.5 miles, roughly 11 minute miling.

Post edited by Wottle on

6am + Solo!!

I think you can take at least a minute off that!!

@AuldManKing cheers for the vote of confidence.

Jan 29th (Sat) - 5 miles easy, 8'31 pace, AHR 143. I hate running in the wind, so happy enough with the low HR, felt a little sluggish. Wore the carbon X2, it had been, felt a little unsupported, so might avoid them till after the marathon.

Jan 30th (Sun) - 18 miles in total, broken down into 5 mile warm up, followed by 3x3 mile at marathon effort off a 1 mile jog recovery, 2 mile cool down.

After yesterday's easy but sluggish run, I felt very tired for the rest of the day. I think Thursday's efforts had caught up with me. This had me not quite dreading the session but a little less confident of running well. I had enlisted the help of a couple of friends, both a hell of a lot quicker than me. They were excellent and their constant chatting distracted me of the task at hand, in a good way, definitely made it easier for me.

I wore the Vaporflies, not really to hit paces but more for Race day confidence and knowing that I can cover the distance niggle free.

First 3 mile efforts averaged 7'26 pace and HR was where I expected it. If I was on my own I would have ran a 9'00 recovery mile but the guys kept me honest with an 8'10.

Second set of 3 averaged 7'19, slight increase in HR but within expectations.

Third set averaged 7'07 with the final mile of 6'50. HR was rising but last mile brought me into the red zone.

A nice confidence booster and the HR returned to normal on the cool down. Normally if I'm too aggressive on a session, I can't get my HR back down.

Practiced my fueling a little. I'm going to wear a flip belt, 3 gels & 2x250ml kilanji collapsible bottles with High5 carb mix. Worked well today, finished both bottles but only took one gel.

52.8 miles for the week

227 miles for January, my highest in some time

Good luck to anyone doing Raheny later, great race.

I have shorts with pockets in the inner leg - great for 2 gels each - they have pouches in the front too and a zip pocket at the back (Ron Hill shorts) - I'll also bring a flip belt for my anti cramp drinks (I might put a couple of these into a 250m pouch similar to yours)

Squeaky bum time now!!

"Squeaky bum time now!!" Indeed, my excitement levels are climbing and almost every thought is about Seville.

Jan 31st (Mon) - Rest day, definitely needed, so tired. The usual flexibility and foam rolling, paying special attention to quads and calves.

Feb 1st (Tue) - 6 miles easy, 8'40 pace, AHR 143. Still very tired when the alarm went off at 6am, I'd a split second discussion in my head, the warm bed so tempting, but nearly there, up and at it.

Feb 2nd (Wed) - 6 miles easy with strides sprinkled throughout. 8'15 pace, AHR 142. Feeling a little fresher this morning. Dedicated a moment to my grandad who would have been a 100 today if still with us.

Feb 3rd (Thu) - 9 miles with 5 at potential marathon pace (7'30 to 7'35). Little tired starting this and felt very unsure if I was going to be able to change gears between warm up and MP.

The five at MP went 7'30 - 7'28 - 7'25 - 7'25 - 7'28. Heart rate is where I want it but I felt disconnected from my legs throughout. It was another 6am start and very windy but thoughts of overcooking the previous week were circulating. A message from @E.coli on Strava helped calm me down.

Feb 4th (Fri) - Rest day, badly needed as workload has been mounting (not complaining :-)

Feb 5th (Sat) - 5 miles easy, pace 8'41, AHR 148. Another windy run, more of a box ticking exercise. Met an old friend for a mile in the middle. He was running his cool down after a 40 minute tempo session with TT Racers. Turns out we've both signed up for Amsterdam marathon in October.

Feb 6th (Sun) - 15 miles, Pace 8'32, AHR 147. Very windy starting this and although the heart rate was normal, I felt doing my session could push me over the edge. It's too close to race day (this day two weeks) and I need to start freshening up, rather than continuing to breakdown the body.

Experimented a little with Maurten, they're not for me, going to stick with my SIS.

I've now lost 8.5kg since December 14th or 19 pounds. I've lost it fairly quickly and wondering whether this could also be a contributing factor to this week's sluggishness?

Still pretty excited but where last week I was thinking 3'19, this week I'm back to 3'29. Still time to figure out the pacing. Input very welcome.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Be prepared to adjust your time for the heat, Seville can get quite hot if you’re unlucky

TbL

• Advertisement

I've just checked the long term forecast, low 20s and sunny.

Well done on your spur of the moment marathon. Was there a particular time that the sun/heat made an unwelcomed appearance?

Feb 7th (Mon) - Proper rest day. Caught up on a bit of work, including finalising details for a run camp I'm organising in Portugal next month.

Feb 8th (Tue) - 5 miles easy, pace 8'16, AHR 146. This was a lovely run, just catching up on podcasts, can feel the batteries recharging, maybe 90%.

Feb 9th (Wed) - 5 miles easy with strides sprinkled throughout, pace 8'00, AHR 147. Another good run.

Looking at the weather forecast for Seville, possibly 20° for the last hour. A couple of things I'll change from the Malaga half, no backpack, no GoPro, singlet instead of Tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I enjoyed watching that video report you did from the Malaga Half. It must have been some pain in the hole carrying around the GoPro all the same?

I didn't think it would be but it definitely contributed to the overheating. I only wore the backpack to put the GoPro in and the Tee shirt to avoid chaffing from the bag :-)

Thanks for the nice feedback. It's nice to look back at Malaga though and my kids enjoyed it.

Congrats on the cracking 10 miler btw

Race starts at 8.30 (6-8 degrees)

By 11:30 (looks like still below 15 degrees - going by todays weather)

Accuweather shows: 64% cloud cover on morning of 20th :)

I'd take that :-)

Feb 10th (Thu) - 8 miles with 4 at half marathon effort 7'14 down to 7'06. Felt ok throughout, still waiting for the legs to feel fresh and springy.

Feb 11th (Fri) - Rest day, although I really wanted to get out for a few miles, maybe that alone is a good sign.

Feb 12th (Sat) - 5 miles easy, Pace 8'30, AHR 146. Bit tired throughout.

Only 4, maybe 5 training runs left. My race day singlet arrived from Nike, very lightweight, bit of a yuck colour, very light orange.

Feb 13th (Sun) - Last real session of note. 10 miles with 3x10 minutes at Stryd's suggested marathon power. They suggest 303 watts but I'll be going for 290 to 295. I just think I'm still lacking a bit of strength.

Session went well, even though it was cold, wet and windy. I picked my favourite 10 mile loop (all about boosting the confidence). First 10 minute effort was mostly downhill 7'06 pace.

Second effort also with a drop 7'11. The last effort was uphill and back into the wind 7'29. Very happy overall and was more comfortable running quicker paces, felt sluggish on the warm up, recoveries and cool downs.

Having read @babacool log, he talked about nutrition and that maybe he needed to eat a bit more leading into the week. This has crossed my mind with regards to my own sluggishness of late. I've lost 9 kg in 9 weeks and this is clearly a good thing but approaching marathon week, I don't think I can be messing around with weight loss.

I have only been eating between noon and 8pm but still trying to get three meals in and timing my carb intake around sessions and long runs. So plan for the week is to add a fourth meal and knock the intermittent fasting on the head till after the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

I would definitely advice against fasting when it comes to marathon training especially last few weeks prior to the event. I wasn’t fasting but trying to maintain weight which didn’t go too well. Had to skip meals because of work but not because I wanted to. And couldn’t get all the missing calories in during the evening as otherwise it would have impacted my sleep.

so yes. Try not too starve and don’t do the mistake I did by overthinking the diet. Stay away from alcohol and sweets and you will be fine. Keep everything else as normal.

• Advertisement

Oh definitely not starving myself, just delaying brekky till noon, lunch at 3 or 4pm and dinner between 6 and 7pm, no snacks apart from a protein shake, I go to bed about 9:30. Needed to loose weight, was too heavy but I think you're spot on about last few weeks of marathon training and as mileage peaked, I probably needed a fourth meal.

I don't drink alcohol, but sugar is my addiction. I could eat a whole Swiss role, tayto, jellies and pint of coke in one sitting. I started seeing a therapist about it back in August and it really helped me to take back control, well that and a crap half marathon :-)

Curious to see if with taper and a fourth meal can I get the bounce back in my step.

Regarding your shoe comment, I'm also a big hoka fan but gave the Vaporflies a go and they feel a bit different to the carbon X2 and took me a few runs to figure them out but definitely my marathon shoe now.

Thanks for the advice

Advertisement