Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase of bio in diesel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Dear Customer,

The Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment (DCCAC) has announced an increase in the percentage of biofuel required in transport fuels from 6% to 8% effective from January 1st 2017.

Topaz currently meet the 6% biofuel obligation via a 5% biofuel blend in petrol, and 6.8% biofuel blend in Diesel. The existing industry product specifications for petrol (EN228) and diesel (EN590) limits permittable biofuel percentages to 5% in petrol and 7% in diesel. In order to meet the 8% target set by the Government, Topaz will need to use a double ticketed blend of bio product in its fuels, and will be adjusting the pricing formula to facilitate such.

Due to this legislative change, from January 1st 2017 we will be modifying our pricing formulae as follows:

Petrol Formula : 92% Fossil (Petrol) + 8% Renewable
    Diesel Formula : 92% Fossil (Diesel) + 8% Renewable

The result of this government change will impact the cost of product as bio fuels are purchased at a significantly higher cost to fossil fuels. As a result we expect to see prices rise for the adjusted bio blend on the 1st January by approximately 1.5 cent per litre (excl vat) on petrol and by 0.70 cent per litre (excl vat) on diesel.

Does anyone know if every fuel supplier will be following Topaz ?,

Or will some be sticking to the status quo?

I've mailed Maxol and Valero (texaco). I'll update when I get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There should really be referendums on changes like this.

There should really be referendums on changes like this.

No

Just more options at the pump.
    B10 or B0
    E10 or E0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Get an EV:D

Any way to opt out of these price increases?

GREEN will still remain bio free, but lower in cetane number.

I'm awaiting a reply from valero (texaco), Maxol and another to see if they are increasing bio content.

I'll post back if I get a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I work in biofuel research in the states. Could someone link me exactly what's going on back in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2016/si/225/made/en/pdf

[225]
    S.I. No. 225 of 2016
    NATIONAL OIL RESERVES AGENCY ACT 2007 (BIOFUEL
    OBLIGATION RATE) ORDER 2016
    I, ALEX WHITE, Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural
    Resources and the eu's bitch in exercise of the powers conferred on me by section 44D
    (inserted by section 3 of the Energy (Biofuel Obligation and Miscellaneous Provisions)
    Act 2010 (No. 11 of 2010)) of the National Oil Reserves Agency Act 2007 (No.
    7 of 2007), having made consultations in accordance with subsection (4) of that
    section and published a draft of the following order in accordance with that
    subsection and having considered any representations made in respect of the
    draft, hereby order as follows:
    1. (1) This Order may be cited as the National Oil Reserves Agency Act 2007
    (Biofuel Obligation Rate) Order 2016.
    (2) This Order comes into operation on 1 January 2017.
    2. The percentage rate referred to in section 44C(3)(
    b
    ) of the National Oil
    Reserves Agency Act 2007 (No. 7 of 2007) shall be 8.695 per cent.
    3. The National Oil Reserves Agency Act 2007 (Biofuel Obligation Rate)
    Order 2012 (S.I. No. 562 of 2012) is revoked.

http://www.nora.ie/biofuels-obligation-scheme.141.html

listermint wrote: »
    The only way this country ,nay the world will survive is Wind Farms, Solar and Wave Power.

Storage of this power is key where the likes of tesla battery cells or similar will be and should be the norm at every end user home.

This crap about calling every new technology a scam is hilarious, some of you may not have noticed the Poles having a 20 Degree Temperature spike this week.

Scam indeed. as they say once its gone its gone (the ice that is)

Good lack........................im off to the pub.

Wind power, wave power etc is a waste of time. The only way the county and the world will survive is nuclear power. All the money being wasted on other forms of power should be pumped into a proper nuclear power plant.of course the hippies will complain but they know noting about how safe and clean nuclear power is.

• Advertisement

Here's the reply from Texaco

Thank you for your email dated 26th December.

Texaco Diesel is and will continue to be manufactured to meet the requirements of the European diesel specification EN 590.

In your email you advise us that your vehicle manual states you can only use fuel with a maximum FAME/bio content of 7% and I would be very surprised if the manual does not also refer to the diesel fuel having to meet the requirements of EN590 which stipulates a maximum FAME content of 7.0%.

This standard is created/agreed by the oil and motor industries (plus some others), to ensure that the oil industry can actually make this grade in sufficient quantities to meet demand and that it will work well in vehicles without causing problems. (In addition this fuel must meet certain requirements laid down by the European Parliament such as those controlling emissions and the environment).

If the vehicle is fairly new and still under warranty, the use of a fuel not meeting the quality as specified in the handbook, may well invalidate the warranty.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your enquiry and I hope you found the information useful.

Yours sincerely

Lyn Boddy

Customer Care Advisor

UK Marketing

Business Support

Valero Energy Ltd

1 Westferry Circus Canary Wharf

London E14 4HA

Tel: +44 20 7513 3737

Fax: + 44 20 7513 3755

customercare@valero.com

And the reply from Maxol

Thank you for your email and your interest in Maxol.

We can confirm that Maxol Limited will blend up to 7% FAME in 2017.

Regards,

Maelíosa

Maxol Limited 3 Custom House Plaza, IFSC, Dublin 1
    T. +353 (0) 1 6076800 F. +353 (0) 1 6076850 E. maeliosa.griffin@maxol.ie W. www.maxol.ie

So.. There you go.

Topaz (or "Circle K" as they are beginning to rebrand as)
    Will be offering an inferior fuel as from Jan 2017.

Let the better diesel debate continue

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So does the Maxol/Texaco statement mean that they won't be increasing the ratio? Are they not then in contravention of the directive?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So does the Maxol/Texaco statement mean that they won't be increasing the ratio? Are they not then in contravention of the directive?

Well, it means that they will continue to abide by the EU standards, but disregard the Irish requirements... That's my interpretation.

I've sought clarification from Texaco that they are referring to the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

EU directives are not part of the law in here - so nobody can actually be breaking them. They are nothing more than guidelines to the member states how to change the local law.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,880 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Dunno why they can't let the trucks that are capable of running 100% biodiesel to use it..
    Scania have ok'ed it .
    Or at least B80 .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So basically stick with Maxol/Texaco then.. grand, I almost always use Maxol anyway :)

Dunno why they can't let the trucks that are capable of running 100% biodiesel to use it..
    Scania have ok'ed it .
    Or at least B80 .

Possibly because bio, after fuel duty is added will be more expensive than regular fuel.

Remember E85, as soon as the fuel subsidy was removed, so too was the fuel, as it would cost more than regular petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭motorfan

Anyone know if Applegreen will be changing their fuel too?

• Advertisement

Texaco have confirmed that they were referring to the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

motorfan wrote: »

Their fuel is crap enough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Their fuel is crap enough as it is.

whats wrong with it? the oul fella always go's there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭Goose81

pa990 wrote: »
    As from 1/1/17

The bio content in petrol and diesel will be increased to 8%

The result... more cost to the consumer.
    Bio is more expensive than regular fuel, so petrol will be increasing by about a penny, and diesel will be up by 2c.

Happy New year

So is this true or not, I'm confused?
    It sounds like topaz are the only station actually imposing this and increasing prices?

Goose81 wrote: »
    So is this true or not, I'm confused?
    It sounds like topaz are the only station actually imposing this and increasing prices?

Here's the email from Topaz

Dear Customer,

The Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment (DCCAC) has announced an increase in the percentage of biofuel required in transport fuels from 6% to 8% effective from January 1st 2017.

Topaz currently meet the 6% biofuel obligation via a 5% biofuel blend in petrol, and 6.8% biofuel blend in Diesel. The existing industry product specifications for petrol (EN228) and diesel (EN590) limits permittable biofuel percentages to 5% in petrol and 7% in diesel. In order to meet the 8% target set by the Government, Topaz will need to use a double ticketed blend of bio product in its fuels, and will be adjusting the pricing formula to facilitate such.

Due to this legislative change, from January 1st 2017 we will be modifying our pricing formulae as follows:

Petrol Formula : 92% Fossil (Petrol) + 8% Renewable
    Diesel Formula : 92% Fossil (Diesel) + 8% Renewable

The result of this government change will impact the cost of product as bio fuels are purchased at a significantly higher cost to fossil fuels. As a result we expect to see prices rise for the adjusted bio blend on the 1st January by approximately 1.5 cent per litre (excl vat) on petrol and by 0.70 cent per litre (excl vat) on diesel.

You will therefore receive two price notifications on Friday 30th December. The first notification will be the normal price change with effect from midnight on the 30th December. The second notification will be as a result of this new bio fuels obligation and will take effect from midnight Saturday 31st December.
    If you have any further questions please contact your account manager or e-mail your query to fuel.cards@topazenergy.ie

Topaz Fuel Card Team
    Topaz Energy Limited
    Topaz House, Beech Hill
    Clonskeagh,
    Dublin 4
    Ireland

www.topazenergy.ie

Topaz was bought by Couche-Tard, and they are in the process of rebranding to Circle K.

Some topaz stns, even have the Circle K logo on their coffee cups now.

Now, couche tard also own Irving oil.
    Irving oil has recently bought the Whitegate refinery in cork.

Couch tard are known for being one of the first companies to distribute unleaded petrol, and blending ethanol with petrol etc.

Is Couche-Tard (Circle K) going to be able to make a quick buck with this move... time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Time to boycott Topaz.

That's my thinking, a petrol/diesel that burns faster.

They'll have to remove the posters saying that their fuel takes you further,

... unless they ammend it and add "further into debt" :D

It'll be hard to boycot, I recently drove from Cork to Donegal, and almost every station was a Topaz.
    They have a monopoly, and I'm not an anti topaz/Denis Obrien person.. I almost exclusively use Topaz,... well up until now.

Maxol from now on, or maybe Amber

motorfan wrote: »

I'm awaiting replys from Applegreen and Tedcastle (TOP OIL )

I'll post their replys if and when I get them.

So far I've contacted
    Maxol
    Texaco (valero)
    Applegreen
    Amber
    GreatGas (who are also EMO)

Is there anyone else..... ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

pa990 wrote: »
    I'm awaiting replys from Applegreen and Tedcastle (TOP OIL )

I'll post their replys if and when I get them.

So far I've contacted
    Maxol
    Texaco (valero)
    Applegreen

Is there anyone else..... ?

Inver seem to be popping up around The place, especially in Limerick, as are Amber fuels(I'm guessing formerly Morgan fuels who was a cowboy)

Then "Go" which is the station across from Sheldon hotel in Dublin, are all over co donegal.

You'd come across Great gas aswell in towns that are bypassed, that's what I've noticed 😀

Advertisement