Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The seven deadly things we’re doing to trash the planet (and human life with it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Hope it's ok to bump this thread a bit. I wanted to let people know that, after some discussion with campaigners, Lidl are trialling Naked Aubergines (no plastic wrapping) this week, so if you can, try to buy some because they are only being trialled so if people don't buy, they'll be back in plastic in the next few weeks.... we need to prove that we prefer naked produce and our money speaks louder than our words.

One vegetable down, only another 72 to go

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Good news.

I was thinking of this thread today. The guardian are doing a series of articles on air pollution. It makes for grim reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/series/the-air-we-breathe

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭milehip

https://youtu.be/Kxryv2XrnqM

According to this guy it'll all be totally chill by 2030 so we just need to hang on in there for another 13 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/10/earths-sixth-mass-extinction-event-already-underway-scientists-warn

Another wonderfully bleak article.

How much would you be willing to change your life for the greater good? What would you give up? Air travel? Less exotic foods? Less meat?
    If we don't stop living how we are, soon, the planet is doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/10/earths-sixth-mass-extinction-event-already-underway-scientists-warn

How much would you be willing to change your life for the greater good? What would you give up? Air travel? Less exotic foods? Less meat?

I was stubborn about using a tumble dryer. It broke and made the choice for me. I'm not replacing it, so that's one bit less energy being used. I should've done it ages ago. Being more conscientious about unnecessary drives these days too.

• Advertisement

I was stubborn about using a tumble dryer. It broke and made the choice for me. I'm not replacing it, so that's one bit less energy being used. I should've done it ages ago. Being more conscientious about unnecessary drives these days too.

Good for you. All these little things add up. We just need more people doing this stuff.

What's happening to the planet is terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

They seem to have redefined extinction in that paper.

There's actually a counter view that warming is increasing species diversity.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    In a way you could blame car insurance companies for environmental damage in this country. Forcing people to get rid of their perfectly working older cars as they won't insure them. Absolute waste..

I think you are confusing climate change with this extinction issue.

For Europe it claims that between 1900-2015 40% of species lost 80% of their range.

This doesn't tell is of those species are endangered or not or when most of the collapse was. Probably early in the last century rather than now.

The more significant losses were in Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

They seem to have redefined extinction in that paper.

There's actually a counter view that warming is increasing species diversity.

A counter view that is completely wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Interesting article about what may happen before 2100 if things don't improve.

Link: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html

jacksie66 wrote: »
    In a way you could blame car insurance companies for environmental damage in this country. Forcing people to get rid of their perfectly working older cars as they won't insure them. Absolute waste..

That is insane. My folks sold a 99 perfectly working Toyota a while back to a friend, his nephew can't get insured on the car as no company will take it on. It's a cartel.

Nearly half of the 177 mammal species surveyed lost more than 80% of their distribution between 1900 and 2015

No matter how you define extinction that doesn't sound good. And the point is that these don't happen overnight but we're at the start of one right now. If we don't stop soon a lot more diversity will be lost.

Grayson wrote: »
    Good for you. All these little things add up. We just need more people doing this stuff.

What's happening to the planet is terrifying.

They actually don't, sadly.

One of the biggest issues is the people who think that having a "meat free Monday" or whatever is them doing their part, this "every little helps" attitude towards climate change is one of the biggest problems, etched in the core of it including the Paris agreement (which does nowhere near enough to counter it, at all).

If we want to stop climate change destroying us by the year 2100 we can't all do these 'little things', we basically all need to stop using fossil fuels, stop eating meat and dairy products, and stop feeding the large corporations of the world through our lifestyles. We won't though because it would mean us giving up our cushy lifestyles.

Cina wrote: »
    A counter view that is completely wrong.

Is it? I don't know. But life is infinitely adaptable. The earth has warmed and cooled before. Life had never been extinguished.

Is it? I don't know. But life is infinitely adaptable. The earth has warmed and cooled before. Life had never been extinguished.

Life will come back to earth again, of course it will, as the earth heals itself after we c*ck things up.

Make no mistake here, we're not killing earth with climate change, we're killing ourselves. Earth will be fine.

They actually don't, sadly.

One of the biggest issues is the people who think that having a "meat free Monday" or whatever is them doing their part, this "every little helps" attitude towards climate change is one of the biggest problems, etched in the core of it including the Paris agreement (which does nowhere near enough to counter it, at all).

If we want to stop climate change destroying us by the year 2100 we can't all do these 'little things', we basically all need to stop using fossil fuels, stop eating meat and dairy products, and stop feeding the large corporations of the world through our lifestyles. We won't though because it would mean us giving up our cushy lifestyles.

Or we can try and keep our cushy lifestyles and try and make energy carbon free. Win win.

Life will come back to earth again, of course it will, as the earth heals itself after we c*ck things up.

Make no mistake here, we're not killing earth with climate change, we're killing ourselves. Earth will be fine.

That's not what you said. That's what I said.

Or we can try and keep our cushy lifestyles and try and make energy carbon free. Win win.

We can't. We can't keep producing millions of worthless pointless disposable products, and eating foods from all over the world all the time. Just go into Lidl on a Thursday, and look at all the crap our resources are being used to produce. Ridiculous kitchen items and pointless machines. Dragon's Den kind of makes me sick because it's a bunch of idiots trying to find new ways of selling crap to consumers. And it's championed!
    If we're producing worthless things and chopping down whats left of the jungles to make palm oil for our shampoo, it doesn't really matter if our power plants are using renewable energy. We just need to be content with less. And we never will be, which will lead to war, starvation... sigh!

That's not what you said. That's what I said.
    err, if you say so.

No, not win win. A largely common misconception about carbon change is that it's based mostly on 'energy' when agriculture and livestock are just as damaging. Even if we were to successfully make the energy of the world entirely carbon free by 2050 (not going to happen), we would still be f*cked due to all the emissions from cows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Just send all the moaners that say we are doomed to another planet :)

We can't. We can't keep producing millions of worthless pointless disposable products, and eating foods from all over the world all the time. Just go into Lidl on a Thursday, and look at all the crap our resources are being used to produce. Ridiculous kitchen items and pointless machines. Dragon's Den kind of makes me sick because it's a bunch of idiots trying to find new ways of selling crap to consumers. And it's championed!
    If we're producing worthless things and chopping down whats left of the jungles to make palm oil for our shampoo, it doesn't really matter if our power plants are using renewable energy. We just need to be content with less. And we never will be, which will lead to war, starvation... sigh!

Sure disaster. You know we can probably stop chopping down those jungles without major effects on the economy.

So it does matter if our plants are using renewable energy.

err, if you say so.

No, not win win. A largely common misconception about carbon change is that it's based mostly on 'energy' when agriculture and livestock are just as damaging. Even if we were to successfully make the energy of the world entirely carbon free by 2050 (not going to happen), we would still be f*cked due to all the emissions from cows.

We should stick a bag on their arse to catch the methane. A dragons den solution

Everything is solvable. I admit we need the political will however, which isn't there.

http://bigthink.com/design-for-good/this-is-how-you-turn-cow-fart-gas-into-energy

We should stick a bag on their arse to catch the methane. A dragons den solution

Everything is solvable. I admit we need the political will however, which isn't there.

http://bigthink.com/design-for-good/this-is-how-you-turn-cow-fart-gas-into-energy

Why would anyone ever vote for a politician who's policies were for us to have less stuff? They wont, therefore there's not really a way out of this mess, unless somehow there's a mass spiritual movement where people just brush off the idea of having lots of stuff being the be all and end all of life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At the end Permian age there was an extinction event that made the death of the dinosaurs look like a walk in the park.

Only 1 in every 25 species survived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

Extremely selfish moronic attitude. Do you have kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

The reason you're living the cushy life you have now is due to your forefathers you realise that?

• Advertisement

At the end Permian age there was an extinction event that made the death of the dinosaurs look like a walk in the park.

Only 1 in every 25 species survived.

I know. But I said life has never been extinguished, not changed.

Advertisement