Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The seven deadly things we’re doing to trash the planet (and human life with it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Maybe sentient beings might evolve that aren't as stupid and shirt sighted as we are?

So you want to give your own life in the hope that a hypothetical and staggeringly unlikely being might one day benefit from your sacrifice?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

K-9 wrote: »
    In fairness repeating we're all doomed over and over isn't a winning strategy!

What will I do with all my 'The end is nigh!" placards now? :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

So you want to give your own life in the hope that a hypothetical and staggeringly unlikely being might one day benefit from your sacrifice?

Give my own life? Wha?
    I think some people look at the earth as this beautiful living thing, something alive in itself, and maybe they think the animals and other non human life that exist here deserve to be here, unlike us, as they've found a way to live in harmony. The Gaia hypothesis takes this approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't understand this attitude. What difference does the condition of the Earth make to a vast, uncaring universe, if there are none of us left around to give a crap? It's just a massive ball of mostly-iron with an envelope of gas around it. It doesn't have any feelings.

We need to solve our rape of the environment for our own benefit and that of future generations of humans. Not for a rock's sake.
    Indeed, by all accounts devastation isn't a bad thing in the greater scheme of things. If that asteroid didn't wipe out the dinosaurs mammals like us likely not be here.

The aftermath of a mass extinction event is a boom time for whatever life is left over, even if it's just bacteria. We don't really need to worry about life, it can survive worse things than humans.

What we're destroying is the habitat that is ideal for humans. The current environment is probably the best statte earth has been in for human habitation. When you go back further than 10,000 year Europe was uninhabitable. It could easily go back to that state, which may come with more desertification meaning we just don't have as much useable land and can't support our population.

Bar the gulf stream shutting down Ireland is probably in a good position, we can produce a mountain of food that's more than enough to feed ourselves (as long as you like bacon and cabbage). But that could just make our little island a beacon for countries that will suffer a lot.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Bar the gulf stream shutting down Ireland is probably in a good position, we can produce a mountain of food that's more than enough to feed ourselves (as long as you like bacon and cabbage). But that could just make our little island a beacon for countries that will suffer a lot.

If things got bad in the world and people were starving, Ireland would be pillaged by Britain or some other power very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Give my own life? Wha?
    I think some people look at the earth as this beautiful living thing, something alive in itself, and maybe they think the animals and other non human life that exist here deserve to be here, unlike us, as they've found a way to live in harmony. The Gaia hypothesis takes this approach.

How do you take humans out of the equation without giving your own life? Do the people who say these things consider themselves somehow above or apart from the rest of humanity?

Animals don't 'find a way to live in harmony'. They kill and eat whatever they can and the stuff that can't defend itself goes extinct, while other stuff thrives in the resulting absence. The ecosystem falls into balance over time. Any animal would be doing exactly what we are if they had the ability. They are not noble and harmonious.

Evolution just finally came up with a creature (us) that was able to completely dominate all of the rest. What we have wrought is nature. It's not 'harmonious', that's not how it works. So now it falls to us to correct that in order to keep the world in the sort of state that we want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Give my own life? Wha?
    The problem is animals don't so much find a harmony as get forced into one. Other animals are more than capable of creating environmental devastation that will ultimately wipe them out, they have absolutely no awareness of their position. When predators disappear for instance (okn so often that's down to us) the plant eating animals will breed to the point the ecosystem collapses under them.

But animals often end up in new environments naturally, and when that happens they cause havoc until the environment finds a balance again, often through mass extinction and evolution.

Humans are the only animal that actively tries to minimise its effect on the environment.

How do you take humans out of the equation without giving your own life? Do the people who say these things consider themselves somehow above or apart from the rest of humanity?

Well we're all going to die one day. I think the poster you were referring to probably meant it would be better if we were wiped out quickly before we create too much damage for life to thrive afterwards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does anyone have any plans to try and change their lifestyles for the greater good?
    Greenwashing hogwash

Do you know how much fuel a business jet uses ?

Each trip could use more fuel than the average motorist here uses in 10 years.

If you are a low mileage driver then a return trip, which they usually are, could use more fuel than you will ever because by then it'll all be self driving electric cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭gk5000

Do you want to go back to the stone-age?

The capitalist system is not all bad - in that if something is becoming over- utilised or scarce, then the price goes up "saving it" and encouraging people to look elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Greenwashing hogwash

Do you know how much fuel a business jet uses ?

Each trip could use more fuel than the average motorist here uses in 10 years.

If you are a low mileage driver then a return trip, which they usually are, could use more fuel than you will ever because by then it'll all be self driving electric cars.

What's green washing? I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I agree private jets waste a lot of fuel.

gk5000 wrote: »

The capitalist system is not all bad - in that if something is becoming over- utilised or scarce, then the price goes up "saving it" and encouraging people to look elsewhere.

Ha. Like the half of the world's animals that have disappeared since 1970? How do we get them back?

Ha. Like the half of the world's animals that have disappeared since 1970? How do we get them back?
    Is that really true? How many of those type of animals were you familiar with?

Is that really true? How many of those type of animals were you familiar with?

Google it. Hardly any. Just making a point that we're decimating everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I live pretty simply. I can't go totally off-grid but I'm as close as I can be.
    I try to be mindful about what I'm doing and buying and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I'm not scientist or anything but I've a feeling that in next 40 years the planet is basically on its way out. Human population is growing way too fast and animal populations are dropping big time. I can't see any farm animals going extinct but if we keep growing the amount of farms will explode all over the place and with it the forestry and lands will be cut down and used. There's about 15 animals alive now that I don't think will be around except for zoos in next 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

I wonder how much the hot air from the hippies affects global warming.

Google it. Hardly any. Just making a point that we're decimating everything.
    Be thankful that you live like a king in the modern age,compared to your ancestors. Heat & light at the flick of a button - instant hot water...jump in car, bus, taxi, bike, aeroplane to anywhere you want to go.

Look at the alternative fake green bs - banning decent light bulbs, promoting dirty diesel over petrol - subsidizing uneconomic wind and cutting down forrests for subsidized "eco" palm oil etc - banning cattle farting...an remember humans breathe out CO2...

So just be thankful and enjoy the abundance fate has dealt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What if Capitalism is the problem?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

When that utility is water or fresh air, it's time to look at the system.

• Advertisement

Be thankful that you live like a king in the modern age,compared to your ancestors. Heat & light at the flick of a button - instant hot water...jump in car, bus, taxi, bike, aeroplane to anywhere you want to go.

Look at the alternative fake green bs - banning decent light bulbs, promoting dirty diesel over petrol - subsidizing uneconomic wind and cutting down forrests for subsidized "eco" palm oil etc - banning cattle farting...an remember humans breathe out CO2...

Ok fine. Let's just completely ignore the completely unsustainable existence we have in rich countries at the moment. And everything will just fall into place.
    The views on this thread are a perfect example of how everyone just wants to ignore the biggest challenges ever facing humanity.

Did anyone deny that? Using 'humans breathe out CO2' as a defence for the overwhelming evidence against the effects of animal agriculture on the environment is beyond laughable.

I realise that governments have subsidised some palm oil farmers — which is exactly the kind of thing that needs to be stopped — but who said they were "eco"?

This post is looking more and more like an own goal from your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ok fine. Let's just completely ignore the completely unsustainable existence we have in rich countries at the moment. And everything will just fall into place.
    The views on this thread are a perfect example of how everyone just wants to ignore the biggest challenges ever facing humanity.

We always find a way

That's why we are top of the tree

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

An abundance of planned obsolescent plastic crap, polluted air and spoiled countryside? Children who think carrots are made in a factory? Adults so disconnected from the natural world that they suffer from depression?

It's as simple as taking measures that you feel are effective and worthwhile and ignoring those that you deem ''fake green bs''. There's no good reason to do nothing.

Everything at the flick of a switch is overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

I'm certainly no environmentalist, but I know one thing, we can't go on consuming the way we're consuming in the first world and get away with it.
    it's all this obsession with money money money, and owning more and more shiny crap marketed 24 7 365, cradle to grave.

We always find a way

Then stop bloody cutting it down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

We always find a way

Our ability to destroy far outstrips our ability to create/overcome.
    Right now the coral reefs are disappearing, animals are going extinct at a rate not seen since the time of the dinosaurs, the oceans are filled with plastic chap and sewage. The world is severely over populated but still growing and getting richer, therefore consuming more. We've destroyed in 200 years what took 100s of thousands if no millions of years to reach the point it had.
    Instead of rectifying the mess on the paradise we live in we chase pipedreams of inhabiting some God forsaken dust bowl so far away that almost none of us can comprehend the distances involved. For the so called top dog on this plant we are doing our best to prove we're quite possibly the dumbest.

threeball wrote: »
    Our ability to destroy far outstrips our ability to create/overcome.
    Right now the coral reefs are disappearing, animals are going extinct at a rate not seen since the time of the dinosaurs, the oceans are filled with plastic chap and sewage. The world is severely over populated but still growing and getting richer, therefore consuming more. We've destroyed in 200 years what took 100s of thousands if no millions of years to reach the point it had.
    Instead of rectifying the mess on the paradise we live in we chase pipedreams of inhabiting some God forsaken dust bowl so far away that almost none of us can comprehend the distances involved. For the so called top dog on this plant we are doing our best to prove we're quite possibly the dumbest.
    If you really believe this ( and I hope you don't)
    then the only credible answer to overpopulation is to remove yourself ( and I hope you don't)
    In other words - think what you are saying and stop with the bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

then the only credible answer to overpopulation is to remove yourself ( and I hope you don't)

That's the only answer?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

*facepalm*

Advertisement