Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options
1525354555658»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

never heard of it. Sounds like a suicide grip x 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 17,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Jaysus. You just have palms facing you instead of away from you. Doing that doesn't make your thumb magically disappear

Gave it a go. Felt awful and dangerous. My shoulder feels great after squatting, probably cause it’s getting a good stretch.

Squat

120kg x 5

130kg x 3

140kg x 1

One of the better squat sessions in recent memory. Everything moved with relative ease. I had more reps in everything. Very happy with that.

Today I played around trying to find what didn’t hurt.

Barbell bench is out

Dumbell bench hurts after 20kg so that’s out

Kadillac bar bench might work but my j cups don’t fit it so it’s too awkward.

Narrow grip I’ll try next time

Shoulder press machine seems fine

Lat pulldown I’m not sure about yet

For the next while it’ll be shoulder work, build my back and triceps.

• Advertisement

Deadlift

140kg x 3

150kg x 3

170kg x 3

Finally back to feeling strong at deadlifting.

GHD X 3 x 8

Leg curls

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Try neutral grip with dumbbells as well…or even hybrid; somewhere between the DBs being in line and being parallel. Takes a little work off the shoulders. Still find myself having to turn the DBs in a bit when DB benching

Bench day

Tried all forms of grip and positions with Dumbell pressing and they all aggravated the shoulder. The pain isnt severe but I want to do things where I feel zero pain.
    Close grip bb was feeling ok until I got to 50kg.
    BB ohp was ok until I got t on 35kg.
    The only pressing that’s causing zero pain is the seated machine shoulder press neutral grip.

Squat

115kg x 5

125kg x 5

135kg x 4

135’s were probably the easiest of the working sets. So easy that I was far too chilled on the last rep and when I went down my legs were more tired than they realised and I failed. I’m 100% certain I had another 2-3 reps in me

Shoulder press 120lbs x 4 x 10

Seated shrugs max x 3 x 15

Single hand cable push downs

Pec dec

Seated rows 79 x 3 x 10

Shoulder press causes about 1% discomfort so I’ll work on a few different angles. Seems it’s all I can press for now

• Advertisement

Deadlift

140kg x 5

160kg x 3

180kg x 1

Gravity felt strong today. Spent 4 hours strumming on a 45 degree slope yesterday so my lower back and forearms were knackered. Very happy with the 180.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Just be careful not to minimise the discomfort to yourself when doing it. I did that and basically ended up just spinning my wheels and not letting the injury recover.

You can still work the muscles without having to press - not to the same degree obviously - in the short term if it let's you get back to pressing sooner.

You'll know yourself but don't kid yourself that you're sparing the injury - like I did - when you know deep down that its a little too much discomfort

That’s weird, I responded to you Alf yesterday but the post disappeared. Basically I said if there’s any discomfort going forward, I’ll drop the exercise.

Today:

Seated shoulder press worked up to 120x12

Took about 5 sets to get there. Using a neutral grip I’ve tried this with elbows flared out and tucked in. There’s zero discomfort today thankfully.

Seated shrugs supersetted with tricep pull downs

Pec dec supersetted with seated Row.

All the above are slow eccentric exercises

I have to say, slow eccentric on the pec deck is a chest killer.

squat

125kg x 3

130kg x 3

135kg x 3

Easier than expected

seated shoulder press SS Rev fly machine

Seated shrug SS tricep pulldown

Seated rows SS DB shrugs

Forgot to do pec dec.

Cortisone injection booked in for later today. Let the healing begin….

Deadlift

120kg x 5

135kg x 5

150kg x 5

Can’t remember the last time 150 x 5 moved that easily.
    I know I’m getting strong when my warmup at 100 feels like paperweight.

Leg curls

cortisone injection in Thursday. No pain in my shoulder like I normally do after one. Last time I got one was just and I waited a week before I went back benching. This time I’m gonna stretch that out a good bit.

Squat

120kg x 5

135kg x 3

150kg x 1

I’m fairly sure I’ve done a 150 single in the last 2 years but I don’t think I’ve ever done 150 so easily. So happy with how that moved. Zero struggle, no stopping points. Smooth all the way up and down.

Deadlift

140kg x 3

160kg x 3

175kg x 3

Increase of 5kg on the final set.

I took yesterday off for 2 reasons. My back was sore and seeing as I’m pretty much doing squat/deadlift I reckon I need a bit of space in between lifts.
    Today I was ready to quit at the first sign of trouble in my back.
    After the 160 I was wrecked but to my surprise the 175’s all went up. 180x3 is my old pb so I’m not that far from that now

Lat pulldown 52kg x 5 x 15

Single hand tricep pulldown 4 sets

Seated row 52kg x 4 x 12

DB Shrugs 40kg x 4 x 12

Restart of upper body work. Avoiding tte shoulder for now and keeping things generally light

Squat

115kg x 5

125kg x 5

135kg x 5

Repeating the last 5’s session where I missed the last rep. No misses today. The first 3 on 135 were grand but the legs definitely started to feel weak on the last 2. Happy enough all the same

• Advertisement

light shoulder pressing SS lat pulldown

Seated row SS with tricep extensions

Shrugs

Advertisement