Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Nice work just out of interest what rest would you take between 3 x12 ?

Ah it’s a harmless enough workout tbh. I should be doing more. I tend to procrastinate at times. Rest could be anywhere between 1min to 3 mins. I don’t worry too much about keeping it strict

I was due to deadlift today but I Woke up with a very tight lower back so all I did was some light deadlift reps and stretching.
    If it’s loosened up by tomorrow I’ll deadlift

Deadlift

110kg x 3
    130kg x 3
    150kg x 3
    165kg x 2
    175kg x 1

The last rep was a little slower but I’m happy knowing there’s plenty more left in the tank.

Supersetted lat raises 9kg x 5 x 12

Wishbone split squats

40kg x 3 x 5

Just playing around with these for now. I was hoping to do them Bulgarian style but I’m lacking space. I’ll see if I can adjust

GHR x 3 x 10

Ohp

40kg x 3
    45kg x 2
    50kg x 2
    55kg x 1
    57.5kg x 1

I wouldn’t call this an intentional test but it was pretty close to max effort. I really don’t know if I would’ve hit 60. Frustrating, considering how long I’m doing this.

Single arm landmine shoulder press
    20kg x 3 x 15

Db Rev flys
    9kg x 3 x 15

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ohp

40kg x 3
    45kg x 2
    50kg x 2
    55kg x 1
    57.5kg x 1

I wouldn’t call this an intentional test but it was pretty close to max effort. I really don’t know if I would’ve hit 60. Frustrating, considering how long I’m doing this.

Single arm landmine shoulder press
    20kg x 3 x 15

Db Rev flys
    9kg x 3 x 15

Great effort I can't get 57.5 yet , are you following a plan ? You could try finding 8/6/4/2 max rep for ohp it's seems to have helped me on all lifts but it might be also cause I'm still new ish to lifting that I'm making gains

• Advertisement

Great effort I can't get 57.5 yet , are you following a plan ? You could try finding 8/6/4/2 max rep for ohp it's seems to have helped me on all lifts but it might be also cause I'm still new ish to lifting that I'm making gains

No fixed plan at the moment but that’ll be changing soon. It’s a very frustrating lift for me as progress seems non existent

No fixed plan at the moment but that’ll be changing soon. It’s a very frustrating lift for me as progress seems non existent

You'll get there , I checked strength standards and elites at my weight are lifting 98kg so I've no excuse only thing holding me back is not training hard enough or smart enough or my mind not believing . Maybe max for me with perfect training is 10% lower than elite but no way it's 55kg , you'll probably burst through 60 and be at 70 in no time .

You'll get there , I checked strength standards and elites at my weight are lifting 98kg so I've no excuse only thing holding me back is not training hard enough or smart enough or my mind not believing . Maybe max for me with perfect training is 10% lower than elite but no way it's 55kg , you'll probably burst through 60 and be at 70 in no time .

Haha I doubt that. I’ve been trying to get past 60 for a long time. To be fair I’ve had a few shoulder injuries in that time too, all my own fault. Plus, I’m not really built for pressing so I’m never going to excel at it. I’d say 10% is way off. Elite are the cream of the crop. Have a look at some lifters, even female lifters that are 60-70kg benching 150kg. That’s elite. I’m barely novice.

Haha I doubt that. I’ve been trying to get past 60 for a long time. To be fair I’ve had a few shoulder injuries in that time too, all my own fault. Plus, I’m not really built for pressing so I’m never going to excel at it. I’d say 10% is way off. Elite are the cream of the crop. Have a look at some lifters, even female lifters that are 60-70kg benching 150kg. That’s elite. I’m barely novice.

True maybe 10% is way off but I don't think we should limit ourselves based on build and genetics , I'd say the absolute max we can lift is way higher than we are .

True maybe 10% is way off but I don't think we should limit ourselves based on build and genetics , I'd say the absolute max we can lift is way higher than we are .

Totally agree to a point but my build will limit me on these lifts. I have long arms, so any pressing is going to struggle. I’d be happy to get body weight one day but I’d say losing weight would get me there sooner

• Advertisement

Squat

Toe squats to 100kg x 3

120kg x 3
    130kg x 3
    140kg x 2
    152.5kg

My legs had baby DOMS from the split squats the last day. Thankfully this didn’t seem to have an impact on today’s session.
    140 was surprisingly easy. That’s why I decided to jump 12.5kg for the single instead of a 147.5 in the middle.

152.5kg was ok. It was @9. A little slow but I never had a doubt it wasn’t going up. It’s the heaviest single I’ve done in about 2 years I’d say. Happy enough.

Warmups supersetted with
    DB rev flys 13kg x 4 x 12

GHR x 3 x 10
    Abwheel x 3 x 12

Ok ok, I’ll stop. I’ll admit, I have a problem. But, I couldn’t resist this second hand cable machine. Its commercial grade and I got it very reasonably priced AND, it’s soooo compact. It fits perfectly into place and as luck would have, when I fitted my GHR I had to move my adj bench. So now, the adj bench can be used for lat pull downs and seated cable rows with the new cable machine.

I’ll stop now, I promise........

Deadlift
    100kg x 5
    120kg x 3
    130kg x 3
    150kg x 2
    170kg x 1
    180kg x 3!! :) PB I think

Where the fcuk did that come from!! If you told me an hour ago I’d be tripling 180 I’d have slapped you.

Today’s plan was to lift a heavy single. 170 went up handy and as I was loading 180 I changed the plan. I could’ve went 180/190/200 possibly but decided to try for a double. 2 felt good so I went for 3. Honestly, I’d say I had 5 in me. I’m fairly sure I’ve never pulled 180 x 3, ever!! Buzzing after that and very excited to see what the future holds for my deadlift. Ohp, you can fcuk right off ;).

Form wasn’t ideal but it was ok.

https://youtu.be/v--0OuaNIPo

Side lat raises 9kg x 5 x 12
    These were mixed in to my deadlift warmups

GHR x 3 x 12

Deadlift
    100kg x 5
    120kg x 3
    130kg x 3
    150kg x 2
    170kg x 1
    180kg x 3!! :) PB I think

Where the fcuk did that come from!! If you told me an hour ago I’d be tripling 180 I’d have slapped you.

Today’s plan was to lift a heavy single. 170 went up handy and as I was loading 180 I changed the plan. I could’ve went 180/190/200 possibly but decided to try for a double. 2 felt good so I went for 3. Honestly, I’d say I had 5 in me. I’m fairly sure I’ve never pulled 180 x 3, ever!! Buzzing after that and very excited to see what the future holds for my deadlift. Ohp, you can fcuk right off ;).

Form wasn’t ideal but it was ok.

https://youtu.be/v--0OuaNIPo

Side lat raises 9kg x 5 x 12
    These were mixed in to my deadlift warmups

GHR x 3 x 12

That's a savage lift well done, your lifts look really good and controlled . What weight are you ? You look lean enough that's alot of weight to be lifting gotta try catch you in Deadlift now aswell !

Just to add 500lbs deadlift be possible for you , get running aswell 500lbs deadlift sub 5 min mile is next level fitness you can do it

That's a savage lift well done, your lifts look really good and controlled . What weight are you ? You look lean enough that's alot of weight to be lifting gotta try catch you in Deadlift now aswell !

Just to add 500lbs deadlift be possible for you , get running aswell 500lbs deadlift sub 5 min mile is next level fitness you can do it

Me and running fell out a few years ago, never to be reconciled.
    500lbs is prob around 250kg. That’s my short to mid term goal. It’d be a lovely target to hit yea. I’m well off that. Maybe in 2 years. I weigh 88kg. Ideally I’d like to be 85.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Me and running fell out a few years ago, never to be reconciled.
    500lbs is prob around 250kg. That’s my short to mid term goal. It’d be a lovely target to hit yea. I’m well off that. Maybe in 2 years. I weigh 88kg. Ideally I’d like to be 85.

500lbs would be 227.5kg in plates language.

500lbs would be 227.5kg in plates language.

That’s doable alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That's savage well done!!

That’s doable alright

I just checked strength standards at 85kg a lift of 234kg would have you at elite for 40-49 year olds , that would be enough encouragement for me .

I just checked strength standards at 85kg a lift of 234kg would have you at elite for 40-49 year olds , that would be enough encouragement for me .

What’s your own stats? Have you got a link to that site?

• Advertisement

What’s your own stats? Have you got a link to that site?

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/deadlift/kg

I'm nowhere near elite in anything I'm doing good if I'm intermediate but I'm not lifting a year yet so I'm not giving up hope !
    You can do it on Deadlift lose 3kg and lift 234kg be a good goal for this year .
    My max deadlift is 150kg at 75kg weight for what it's worth .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Gwan Dtp off to be elite there now

Gwan Dtp off to be elite there now

If I ever make it to an elite standard I'll be updating all my social media and linkedin page to "elite powerlifter " just have to figure which lift I can Gunter my way up to that level .
    DPD is within touching distance of greatness gwannnn!

Just have to talk him into doing a meet now.

Joinnnn ussssss

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Only due to structure training.

Just have to talk him into doing a meet now.

Do they dock points if you have gorilla arms :D

Do they dock points if you have gorilla arms :D

No. You get to add deadlift points ;)

Ohp

40kg x 4
    45kg x 4
    50kg x 4
    55kg x 2
    57.5kg x 1

DB incline bench

20kg x 3 x 10

Facepulls 31kg x 3 x 15
    DB Rev flys 13kg x 3 x 10

Dang that cable machine is smooooth

• Advertisement

Squat

Toe squats to 75kg x 6

100kg x 6
    110kg x 6
    120kg x 6

Db Rev fly 13kg x 4 x 12
    Ab wheel x 3 x 10

This was a tough aul slog. Woke up late. Great start to day 1 of the program. Everything seemed to go against me today. Shoulder just wouldn’t loosen up, and I had zero energy levels. I was sleepy for the entire workout. Thankfully the weight was low but damn those higher reps.

GHR x 3 x 10

Advertisement