Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Cutting vegetables in a hurry

Ah I see.

Well, for future reference, it should be a palm-sized serving of protein and a thumb of fat....not a thumb of protein...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Deadlifts

100kg x 5
    130kg x 3
    150kg x 3 x 5

Note to self, A cut thumb has zero impact on deadlifting. Same weight/reps as the last day. I felt set 2 was really solid. Really kept my back straight and tight. Slow but solid reps

Bb shrugs paused
    110kg x 4 x 10

Slow decent and 2 second pause. Pumpolicious

Cable rev flys
    Tricep half dip thingys

Squat

100kg x 5
    115kg x 5
    130kg x 3
    135kg x 3

Little or no time today. My right shoulder is starting to bother me with these squats. Still, the heaviest triple I’ve done in a looonngg time

Dreadful week last week with work. Nothing worked out and the gym suffered because of it.

Deadlifts

100kg x 5
    130kg x 3
    145kg x 3
    160kg x 3 x 3

Deadlifts keep surprising me. These were pretty manageable. Concentrating a lot on pushing my feet into the floor seems to help, a lot.

Ohp

Bar x 3 x 10

More of a warmup for my stiff shoulder than anything else

Squat

80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    120kg x 3
    130kg x 3

Don’t know what possessed me to squat. I did. It was handy. Shoulder is annoying me now.

Close grip lat pull down

65 x 10
    75 x 8
    85 x 6
    95 x 4

Ohp

Bar x 10
    30kg x 10
    35kg x 8
    40kg x 6

Db Rev flys 8kg x 3 x 10

Lat raises 8kg x 3 x 10

I said I’d go into squats with warm shoulders. Did a few sets of shoulder dislocaters in between. Let’s see how squats go...

80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    120kg x 3
    130kg x 3
    140kg x 2

Shoulder was a little less tight. Still not pain free. All the weights moved well except the very last rep. I leaned way too forward and turned a 7 into a 10. Doing so made me expend all energy for a 3rd rep, which was definitely on the cards.
    Really really happy to be back to 140kg x 3 rep range. It’s been a long time since I moved that kinda weight for 3

• Advertisement

Ohp

Ohp and db Rev flys

Nothing worth recording really. Just working up a good pump to loosen up the shoulders before squatting. Work and baby have consumed huge amounts of time and I’m struggling to fit the gym in.

Squat

60kg x 6
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    120kg x 2
    130kg x 2
    140kg x 2
    150kg x 1

I was in no humour for reps today. That’s the heaviest squat I’ve done in a year so I’ll take it as somewhat of a pb. Kinda got a little stuck coming out of the hole but I don’t think it was sloppy and I reckon 160 was in me. I’m actually not Far off my old strength which is surprising. Thinking of doing a few cycles of 531 to get me back to the routine

I’ve been doing a variety of DB bench, skull crushers, Rev flys at home on the in between days. I’m going to re introduce neck training too as my neck training contraption has been throwing me dirty looks lately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

neck training??

bluewolf wrote: »
    neck training??

Yea neck training. Similar to boss arky. I bought a head strap specifically for neck movements and I altered it by using different Pilate bands which increase or decrease resistance as needed. Then I fixed it to the wall.

Yea neck training. Similar to boss arky. I bought a head strap specifically for neck movements and I altered it by using different Pilate bands which increase or decrease resistance as needed. Then I fixed it to the wall.

What's the carryover to the squat? :pac:

• Advertisement

What's the carryover to the squat? :pac:

.0002% carryover.

I used to have a 14.5” neck and looks scrawny with it. When I started MMA, I incorporated neck training into it and it filled my neck out to 17” which helped with chokes etc and I preferred the fuller look. Unfortunately I let the neck work slide over the years but the size remained for the most part

.0002% carryover.

I used to have a 14.5” neck and looks scrawny with it. When I started MMA, I incorporated neck training into it and it filled my neck out to 17” which helped with chokes etc and I preferred the fuller look. Unfortunately I let the neck work slide over the years but the size remained for the most part

Ah. Makes more sense in relation to MMA

Ah. Makes more sense in relation to MMA

Totally. Now days it’s purely for vanity, and for my return to MMA, that I’ll never make

I’ve been tipping away with my adjustable dumbbells at home. Not a whole lot to report on. I bought a leg extension/leg curl contraption to see if it would fit on to my bench. It didn’t. 2 hours later with the help of a drill and grinder and it fits like it was made for it :). Added bonus I just discovered is the if I hold on to the leg curl bar it’s perfect for seated rows too, and bicep preacher curl thingys

What adjustable DBs did you get?

What adjustable DBs did you get?

5 - 40kg so it’s pretty much all I’d ever need. I can’t see myself ever growing out of 40kg

5 - 40kg so it’s pretty much all I’d ever need. I can’t see myself ever growing out of 40kg

Bowflex?

Saw a decent price on them during the week but saw one or two less than glowing reviews here about durability so didn't go for it.

Bowflex?

Saw a decent price on them during the week but saw one or two less than glowing reviews here about durability so didn't go for it.

Can’t see any brand name at all on them. I have them nearly a year and although they’re not getting daily use, I have given them a good few runs. As long as they’re left back into the holder gently and not fcuked in the ground I’d imagine they’d be fine

Can’t see any brand name at all on them. I have them nearly a year and although they’re not getting daily use, I have given them a good few runs. As long as they’re left back into the holder gently and not fcuked in the ground I’d imagine they’d be fine

Double whammy. If you can't drop them after a set and a lot of grunting, what's the point?

Double whammy. If you can't drop them after a set and a lot of grunting, what's the point?

Yea, I feel like it’s a wasted session if i don’t see people looking at me grunting and having the ground shake under me

• Advertisement

Yea, I feel like it’s a wasted session if i don’t see people looking at me grunting and having the ground shake under me

At least post it on IG/Facebook so it still counts

Single Leg extension

15kg x 3 x 15 each

Single leg curl

15kg x 3 x 10

Got a great pump. I’d be at nothing use double leg as I don’t have the weights yet to force enough resistance. I went nice and slow, plenty of Squeezing at the top and the legs were like jelly after it.

Db bench

18kg x 15
    22kg x 10
    27kg x 4 x 10

Skull crushers 29kg x 4 x 12

I supersetted with light neck resistance work and supersetted those with feeding baby the odd ounce in between. I find it very important to start new neck work lightly or I’ll suffer in the days to follow

Before and after

Ffs 6 months. Where did it go. I do very little tbh. In the process of renovating an old house to sell, with the intention of buying another. Work is busy and have an 8 month old who’s about 2 weeks from taking off on her feet. The joys.

My normal gym has closed down, even though it’s a public government subsidied gym.
    So, I got the finger out and joined a primarily powerlifting Gym. Loads of racks, don’t see much deadlifting space. It’s totally different from what I’m used to but I need to do something. Looking forward to getting under a bar again :)

At least you'll have your cardio sorted chasing the 8-month old :)

At least you'll have your cardio sorted chasing the 8-month old :)

Yea I’m using her for OHP at the minute but 7.5kg isn’t doing it for me.

Squat

Bar x 2 x 10
    40kg x 10
    60kg x 6
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3 x 3

Weak as a kitten. New gym, different racks so it felt strange. But not too strange cause it’s been 6 months since I saw my old rack. Technique was pretty ok but I did feel week.

Lat pulldown

60kg x 3 x 8

A serious lump of a machine. All plates, no cables. Savage.

Some v light dumbell presses

Nice gym. Racks could do with updating. Some pieces I’m looking forward to using like belt squat machine, really impressive leg press machine, GHR, seal row machine, I think

All in all, glad to be back

I'd love if the gym I'm in had a belt squat.

I'd love if the gym I'm in had a belt squat.

Yea it’s pretty cool. It also has a safety squat bar I think it’s called? Looking forward to it all

• Advertisement

Yea it’s pretty cool. It also has a safety squat bar I think it’s called? Looking forward to it all

Even Flyefit has an SSB. They will try to fold you in half.

Belt squat is great for loading up the quads with minimal stress on lower back.

Advertisement