Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Month 1 week 2 day 2

Squat
    125kgx 5 x 2 @6.5

I was aiming for 130kg, but 125kg felt right. I feel it’s easier to rate RPE, the higher it goes. This is my first time in the gym at this hour of the day, in a looonnnggg time. Technique was solid, and plenty of depth. I don’t know why, but since I started RPE, I’m really conscious of depth

Bench press
    65kg x 6 x 2 @6-7

Again, no discomfort. I’m hardly fixed am I? No paused lifts, all are TnG but still, progress. I’m finding it a bit harder to gauge RPE on these, as I’m conscious of flaring up the injury, so I’m probably holding back without realising it.

Deadlift
    140kg x 5 x 2 @6.5

Good solid technique and weight moved effortlessly.

Paused shrugs 100kg x 4 x 15
    Hammer curls 20kg x 4 x 10

Cable rev fly x 3 x 10
    Ab wheel x 3 x 10

Month 1 week 2 day 3

Squat
    130kg x 3 x 4 @8

They could’ve been 8.5, it’s hard to say, but I have the range to go between 8-9 so it’s all good.

Bench press
    70kg x 4 x 4 @8

Pain free :)

OHP
    40kg x 3 x 5 @8

Shoulder has come along in leaps and bounds recently. Very happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Pain free :)

So... starting smolov again next week?

So... starting smolov again next week?

Ah yea, gonna do the full smolov, 13 weeks, twice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I hope you're not signed up to H****y's emails...

• Advertisement

I hope you're not signed up to H****y's emails...

I am, but didn’t get a chance to read it it. Maybe I’ll delete it

I am, but didn’t get a chance to read it it. Maybe I’ll delete it

Smash all devices you can access your email on just to be safe

HB Squat 110kg x 3 x 5 @8

No hip stiffness but I certainly felt the extra weight on the traps.

CGBP 60kg x 4 x 5 @7

Shoulder felt a bit qware today so I kept the weight the same. Was supposed to be @8-9 but still, a lower RPE than last week.

Deadlift
    140kg x 3 x 4 @7

10kg heavier than last week. They all moved pretty well.

Month 1 week 3 day 1

Squat 105kg x 3 x 7 @7

Feeling tired today. No energy but got through these alright. Noticed my hips were shooting back instead of up at times. The last set was prob @6

Bench press 55kg x 4 x 7 @6

The discomfort goes when technique feels good. So, good technique please.

RDL 135kg x 3 x 4 @8.5

These bad boys felt heavy today. Don’t think I’m engaging my lats enough. Corrected that for the last 2 sets and was better

I felt it was average, but thanks Alf

• Advertisement

I felt it was average, but thanks Alf

One for each of the RDL sets you didn't make a balls of ;)

Month 1 week 3 day 2

Squat 130kg x 5 x 1 @7

Tired. I gotta stop with these mini 4 day breaks. 2 of the days I couldn’t help it, but the other 2 were pure laziness.

Bench press 72.5kg x 6 x 1 @7

60 seconds rest with these. Heaviest singles in a long time. They were pain free

Deadlift 150kg x 5 x 1 @6

Deadlifts were flyin today. Took maybe 40 seconds between sets. Technique felt very stable

Triceps pushdowns 24 x 4 x 12
    Saw a video recently that said not doing full rom possibly lead to x3 growth. Think it was backed up by Greg Nuckols. Triceps certainly feel more worked than normal.

Ab wheel paused x 4 x 10

Is that a set of 5 or 5 singles on squat?

Is that a set of 5 or 5 singles on squat?

5 sets of 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Saw a video recently that said not doing full rom possibly lead to x3 growth. Think it was backed up by Greg Nuckols. Triceps certainly feel more worked than normal.

Interesting. I though full ROM was one of those 'keys' to growth? Obviously not.

Link?

Link?

Don’t know how reputable this guy is. It was actually X2, not X3
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=popGXI-qs98

Well, the study focused on a partial range of motion that meant that the three heads of the triceps were kept under constant tension, whereas at each end of a full ROM, the tension is not the same. Constant tension means greater time under tension and that drives hypertrophy. The study does look at range of motion of elbow extensors so only really applicable to tricep extension exercises.

The caveat would be that if you cut it too short, there are parts of the long head that aren't worked on tricep extension exercises that will be worked in locking out bench presses or OHPs.

Month 1 week 3 day 3

Squat 135kg x 3 x 3 @8.5

Used thicker plates for toe squats today. Technique was a bit off and a few.
    I had one solid squat and maybe a sloppy second after that. Is that an 8.5?

Bench press 75kg x 4 x 3 @9

Ok not too bad. All TnG reps but it’s huge progress for me. They moved well.

I forgot to mention, I went to a different physio a few weeks ago. Not a physio as such. Not a faith healer either but a guy, who rubs or does something different to the norm. He was trained by jimmy Conroy, who has a fairly big name around these parts for fixing people. Cost me 25 quid and I was in there 10 mins. Little or no pain since I was there. Measure that against the 600-700 I spent on physio. I dunno. Maybe the physio had me nearly fixed. I won’t count my chickens, just yet.

OHP 42.5kg x 3 x 4 @8
    Uhhhh, wasn’t expecting these to be an 8 :). Nice one. Had the cushion of going as far as 9 but it was not needed today.
    I was just about to start setting up to deadlift until I realised it was OHP. Phew. Technique was good. Solid reps

I’m enjoying the program and RPE. I do miss the assistance. If I only had another 30 mins. Maybe supersetting wouldn’t be the worst idea.

I forgot to mention, I went to a different physio a few weeks ago. Not a physio as such. Not a faith healer either but a guy, who rubs or does something different to the norm.

I don't even...

• Advertisement

I don't even...

Don’t even....?

...know where to start with that.

...know where to start with that.

At the beginning :)

At the beginning :)

I did. Got as far as 'Saville'.

I did. Got as far as 'Saville'.

Haha.

Month 1 week 3 day 4

HB Squat 120kg x 3 x 4 @9

That was a true 9. I’m aiming to go to the heavier side of the RPE scale on week 4. My aim was spot on ;)
    Weirdly, high bar seems to hurt my elbows more than low bar.

CGBP 70kg x 4 x 4 @8

Alrighty then. Last week it was 60kg. I had 62.5 on today but that felt like a 5, not 9. So I piled on the weight. Truth be told, I had more in me than 70 but didn’t want to get too excited.

Deadlift 160kg x 3 x 3

Set 1 @8
    Set 2 @9
    Set 3 @8.5

Last week was 140kg. But today was a triple day. I know I’ve done up to a 180 triple before so I had a word with myself to take the 20kg jump. I knew I had it in me. Not exactly how RPE works but it’s a learning process.

Skull crushers 25kg x 4 x 12
    S/S
    Hammer curls 20kg x 4 x 10

Month 1 Deload

Squat 100kg x 2 x 6

Don’t feel like I need to Deload but the program insists on it. I better obey
    Never thought I’d hear myself describe 100kg on my back as nothing. It was nothing. Easy. Not even on the RPE scale. :):)

Bench press 60kg x 2 x 6

Did these paused just to see how they were. Handy enough, no pain

RDL 100kg x 2 x 5

Lower back feels a bit weird. Glad these were light or I would’ve abandoned them.

Ab wheel x 3 x 10

Month 1 Deload

Squat 120kg x 3 x 2

Handy enough. For the Deload I just reduce the sets and take the weight back a bit. Nothing too complicated. Is there any need to RPE a Deload session?

Bench press 70kg x 4 x 2

A little bit heavier than it should have been but easy all the same.

Leg curl 45 x 4 x 12

There’s a little pinch in my upper back so I left deadlifts alone. Gave the aul hamstrings a goin over though

Ab wheel paused x 3 x 10

Month 1 Deload

Squat 125kg x 2 x 3

Handy enough but lacked the explosive burst that I was looking for.

Bench press 65kg x 3 x 3

Very easy, pain free and comfortable. Can’t ask for more than that

OHP 40kg x 2 x 4 ^^^^^ the same

Skull crushers 25kg x 3 x 10

• Advertisement

Month 2 week 1 day 1

Squat 100kg x 3 x 9 @6

10kg increase on last month. Happy enough with that, and how they all moved. Little bit of knee stiffness but nothing concerning

Bench press 50kg x 4 x 9 @6

Slightly strained my shoulder in work yesterday so I was careful today. Prob RPE 5-6. Still a 5kg increase in last months day 1. They were grand. But of a pump.

RDL 125kg x 3 x 6 @8

Increase of 5kg. Didn’t use a belt. Really kept upper back right for these. Felt like I did 3 sets of rear felt flys instead. Prescribed RPE was 8-9. I’d rather avoid a 9 on these bad boys and slowly progress on 8, if that makes sense.

Leg curl 45 x 12,12,9

Rip hamstrings

Advertisement