Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Northampton 17/12/16 19:45 - BT Sport2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

swiwi_ wrote: »
    If your canton is Protestant. Which mine isn't :(

But do they call it St Stephen's Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

swiwi_ wrote: »
    If your canton is Protestant. Which mine isn't :(

Excellent research.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Hmmm. I do not know. In fact having a quick squiz online and I'm not sure the protestant cantons do get a holiday. Bad luck for Podge irl.

I can confirm it's Boxing Day in NZ, and most definitely a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Regardless of what official name people give 'hungover but free from family duty day' there'll be a cracking game to watch.

Munster are going to have a point to prove after the results today. A part of me wishes Joe Schmidt would let it be a fixture without consequence for Irish selection so it would be a more combative derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I believe it's not as simple as that:

"St. Stephen's Day is a public holiday or “silent day” in the following cantons:
    Appenzell Innerrhoden, Appenzell Ausserrhoden, Bern, Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Glarus, Graubünden, Lucerne, St. Gallen, Schaffhausen, Schwyz,Thurgau, Ticino, Zurich.

It is also a public holiday or “silent day” in some communes of the following cantons:
    Aargau
    Solothurn
    In these areas, offices, banks, schools and most businesses are closed. This may also be the case in the rest of Switzerland. In most areas, public transport runs on a reduced schedule."

Glarus and Schwyz are Catholic and were part of the Sonderbund, Lucerne being the capital. Appenzell Innerrhoden is also Catholic.
    Ticino and Solothurn are Catholic but traditionally liberal.

I think it would be more accurate to say that St. Stephen's Day is not marked in the French cantons, as in Geneva, Jura, Neuchatel, Valais and Vaud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Jeez....
    I don't remember a game like that before against a non Italian team. On sixty minutes you felt the ref should have blown it up.

Once we cut out some of the stupid stuff after half an hour it became a joke of a game.

Line out was poor throughout and I hope devs ankle is ok.

I really like Adam Byrne.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

During the match, Joes face came up on the screen.

The crowd cheered.

Joe looked at the screen to see why they were cheering, saw himself up there, blushed, put his head in his hand.

Two international coaches putting their head in their hands two weeks in a row. Worlds apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Christ it was a fun match to be at!!!

I was roaring LEINSTER all evening- after maybe saying the wrong team at the KO...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bazzo wrote: »
    Not to take anything away from Gibson-Parke but I dunno if he's clearly better than John Cooney(if he could manage to stay fit).

I thought Blade was the connoisseur's choice in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I thought Blade was the connoisseur's choice in Galway?

Blade looks like a talented prospect but he's still behind Marmion and Cooney for now. He's got youth on his side at only 22(I think) though so hopefully he kicks on to challenge for 2nd or even 1st choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Bit of a strange game... Obviously a fantastic result. We've had fantastic results before, but usually as a result of absolute dominance and top drawer execution. I don't think we ever really got out of 2nd or 3rd gear today. Most of our tries were fortuitous with the exception of one or two beautiful team tries. Saints let us score more than us creating scores half the time.

We made so many errors and at one point in the first half we struggled to actually get into the game - insane considering the final result.

I expected players like JVDF, SOB, Ruddock, Henshaw and Ringrose all to make hay today but actually at times they struggled to impose themselves on the game bar maybe JVDF who grew into the game. I suspect the guys have already had a trying season on the body and looked a bit tired. I expected SOB to shine but I suppose he's thrown himself in the deep end since coming back from injury. I'm looking forward to what these can offer us after they're well rested over the break.

Guys that I felt really shone were Adam Byrne, Zane Kirchner, Triggs, Cronin, Heaslip, Isa, and Ross Byrne eventually settled in. Adam Byrne must've been bulling as he's was inches away from a hattrick and pretty much as soon as he went off ROL fell over the line on the end of a super team try on his wing. Up until he was taken off I thought Byrne was putting in one of the finest performances I've seen from a winger in a long time. The guy will be an absolute super-star once he gets his confidence in that position. Could be a bit better in the air and his decision making will get better with more game time but he's an absolute tank, a true speedster, has an eye for a gap and brilliant footballer with good hands when he doesn't panic. He'll be our George North if he keeps this up. He's also experience playing wing, centre and fullback at all levels bar elite level. He's a great asset and hopefully this is his start at a real crack at the first team. I wonder if Dave and Ferg will be favoured over him on their return.

I'll whisper the next bit, but this game reminds me of the school of 2011 who went out to start a legacy for the province. BOD spoke in 2011 about the want to win multiple European cups to give the province a legacy, they went out and did just that, and cemented themselves in the record books as being the greatest squad ever in Europe until Toulon. What made them so good? The fact that when they played poorly they were still gutting teams. We were poor for the majority of the game, yet we just broke European records. I really feel we're on the cusp of something special. We'll see... We're in a relatively easy pool (which is no less than what we deserve after slogging it out with Clermont and Toulon most years), but we have another away French game and then we'll see how the quarters fall, but the quality in Europe is so good across the board we'll need a bit of luck in terms of injuries, especially to our halfbacks and back three...

But with a bit of luck, a home quarter and our pack continuing their work then who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I think Northampton scored that intercept too soon for their own good. It was exactly the shock Leinster needed to spark into demolition mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just home from the match. Hard to tell what the team's instructions are, but only one in every three or four phases went through Ross Byrne. Most of the time he was standing at 2nd or 3rd receiver, outside two forwards who made hard yards. When he did take the ball, he stepped into the first receiver channel. This made us very predictable - it was clear when we were going wide and clear when we were going up the guts. A little bit more cuteness would be needed against a better team, I fear.

That said, he takes it to the line, keeps his shoulders down the field, and has a very neat pass. So I think we can safely consider him a solid option for third choice out-half. I'd like to see him involved in more phases, but this will come.

As for Adam Byrne, I was surprised to see him pulled around the 55th minute or so? He was having a great game up until that point. Kirchner put in a very nice performance too in what I feel is his best position at 15.

Also, what the hell happened with the TMO on Pisi's try? The screen showed "No Try", then Poite seemed to overrule it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Also, what the hell happened with the TMO on Pisi's try? The screen showed "No Try", then Poite seemed to overrule it?

The TMO and Poite hadn't even begun to discuss the try when that went up on the screen. Poite was not happy.

Just home from the match. Hard to tell what the team's instructions are, but only one in every three or four phases went through Ross Byrne. Most of the time he was standing at 2nd or 3rd receiver, outside two forwards who made hard yards. When he did take the ball, he stepped into the first receiver channel. This made us very predictable - it was clear when we were going wide and clear when we were going up the guts. A little bit more cuteness would be needed against a better team, I fear.

That said, he takes it to the line, keeps his shoulders down the field, and has a very neat pass. So I think we can safely consider him a solid option for third choice out-half. I'd like to see him involved in more phases, but this will come.

As for Adam Byrne, I was surprised to see him pulled around the 55th minute or so? He was having a great game up until that point. Kirchner put in a very nice performance too in what I feel is his best position at 15.

My assumption for taking Adam Byrne off was A) He was getting some attention from the medics a couple of phases before so maybe precautionary, or B) ROL's lack of experience in the back three at that level might've meant Leo wanted to keep some experienced guys (Isa/ZK) there to guide him. Or maybe both A and B.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

.ak wrote: »
    Bit of a strange game... Obviously a fantastic result. We've had fantastic results before, but usually as a result of absolute dominance and top drawer execution. I don't think we ever really got out of 2nd or 3rd gear today. Most of our tries were fortuitous with the exception of one or two beautiful team tries. Saints let us score more than us creating scores half the time.

We made so many errors and at one point in the first half we struggled to actually get into the game - insane considering the final result.

I expected players like JVDF, SOB, Ruddock, Henshaw and Ringrose all to make hay today but actually at times they struggled to impose themselves on the game bar maybe JVDF who grew into the game. I suspect the guys have already had a trying season on the body and looked a bit tired. I expected SOB to shine but I suppose he's thrown himself in the deep end since coming back from injury. I'm looking forward to what these can offer us after they're well rested over the break.

Guys that I felt really shone were Adam Byrne, Zane Kirchner, Triggs, Cronin, Heaslip, Isa, and Ross Byrne eventually settled in. Adam Byrne must've been bulling as he's was inches away from a hattrick and pretty much as soon as he went off ROL fell over the line on the end of a super team try on his wing. Up until he was taken off I thought Byrne was putting in one of the finest performances I've seen from a winger in a long time. The guy will be an absolute super-star once he gets his confidence in that position. Could be a bit better in the air and his decision making will get better with more game time but he's an absolute tank, a true speedster, has an eye for a gap and brilliant footballer with good hands when he doesn't panic. He'll be our George North if he keeps this up. He's also experience playing wing, centre and fullback at all levels bar elite level. He's a great asset and hopefully this is his start at a real crack at the first team. I wonder if Dave and Ferg will be favoured over him on their return.

I'll whisper the next bit, but this game reminds me of the school of 2011 who went out to start a legacy for the province. BOD spoke in 2011 about the want to win multiple European cups to give the province a legacy, they went out and did just that, and cemented themselves in the record books as being the greatest squad ever in Europe until Toulon. What made them so good? The fact that when they played poorly they were still gutting teams. We were poor for the majority of the game, yet we just broke European records. I really feel we're on the cusp of something special. We'll see... We're in a relatively easy pool (which is no less than what we deserve after slogging it out with Clermont and Toulon most years), but we have another away French game and then we'll see how the quarters fall, but the quality in Europe is so good across the board we'll need a bit of luck in terms of injuries, especially to our halfbacks and back three...

But with a bit of luck, a home quarter and our pack continuing their work then who knows...

Some real class rising in Leinster, hanging on to it will be a problem.

It would only be good for Irish Rugby to see Conan/Ruddock/Murphy playing against Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It warms my heart that Dillon Hartley at least watched that game on TV to witness that beat-down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Was it North Hampton's second string team?Before we get too excited is it posssible that NH had decided to focus on Premiership rugby and said feck the European competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Johngoose wrote: »
    Was it North Hampton's second string team?Before we get too excited is it posssible that NH had decided to focus on Premiership rugby and said feck the European competition?

Pretty much everyone has said how poor Northampton were so I doubt anyone is getting too far ahead of themselves.

NH were a disgrace and Id say Mallinder won't be long in his job, shipping 60 at this level is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

.ak wrote: »
    I thought Byrne was putting in one of the finest performances I've seen from a winger in a long time. The guy will be an absolute super-star once he gets his confidence in that position. He'll be our George North if he keeps this up.

Easy on the Christmas drinks there, .ak!

He's a good player. Took his second try well. As they mentioned on BT, he was actually a bit slow getting the ball grounded on his first. Made it closer than it should have been. Should have just gone in low at the line and scored it simply. Almost got bundled out because he tried to power over.

Big, strong, fast bloke which is great and he's going to be a real asset. But there were a few occasions where simple passes out to his wing saw him step in on the man inside his and just a lack of slick handling didn't allow the outside man a clear run.

He's good but has some way to go yet in terms of rounding out his game. I'd expect him to be on the bench once others come back. I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Buer wrote: »

He's a good player. Took his second try well. As they mentioned on BT, he was actually a bit slow getting the ball grounded on his first. Made it closer than it should have been. Should have just gone in low at the line and scored it simply. Almost got bundled out because he tried to power over.

Big, strong, fast bloke which is great and he's going to be a real asset. But there were a few occasions where simple passes out to his wing saw him step in on the man inside his and just a lack of slick handling didn't allow the outside man a clear run.

He's good but has some way to go yet in terms of rounding out his game. I'd expect him to be on the bench once others come back. I think

He is a bit of an odd one I think, I commented to a mate last night that I haven't seen him have a really cracking game yet he seems to score a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Byrne has physical attributes that none of our other back three players do. Only way he irons out the kinks in his game is to keep playing at this level so hopefully Leo sticks with him to some degree at least. I'm sure Dave Kearney is going to be up there for the bigger games if he's fit.

Someone at BT was trigger happy with the button in their own words. They apologised for it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bazzo wrote: »
    Someone at BT was trigger happy with the button in their own words. They apologised for it a few times.

:confused: BT denied involvement repeatedly. They said it was stadium management who put it up on the big screen.

:confused: BT denied involvement repeatedly. They said it was stadium management who put it up on the big screen.

Eh? My memory of it was that The commentator said "We're getting the blame for that one, apologies folks" and then at half time they definitelty apologised again and said someone had been trigger happy with the button.

I've been overhyping him for years, not going to stop now!

Johngoose wrote: »

It was a mostly second string side. They had a few injuries, a suspension(:pac:) and rested Haywood, Lawes, Wood and Picamoles who would all be big hitters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

salmocab wrote: »

NH were a disgrace and Id say Mallinder won't be long in his job, shipping 60 at this level is pathetic.

I thought they started well. They looked hungry, were quick to the breakdown looking to turnover the ball which they did a few times. But they crumbled after Leinster's 3rd try

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Occasionally messy performance but overall you'd have to be happy with 60 points, notwithstanding Northampton's feeble effort. VdeF motm for me, constantly busy and effective, every intervention he made was positive. For anyone old enough to remember him, VdeF reminds me of Graham Mourie, the great NZ number 8 who began to redefine back row play in the late 70s early 80s, he never seemed to make a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

I read this morning that the EPRC are investigating them for fielding a weakened team.

Advertisement