Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No meat allowed on Christmas Day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This does assume that political correctness is an actual thing.

Which, you know, it isn't.

Ah here, it's one thing to point out the absurd things which some people laughably hold up as examples of political correctness going to far, but to claim that it's not an actual thing... is equally as absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Ah here, it's one thing to point out the absurd things which some people laughably hold up as examples of political correctness going to far, but to claim that it's not an actual thing... is equally as absurd.

Here's an interesting article about the origins of the phrase. It started years ago as a way for lefty people to refer to people who were also lefty but too dogmatic.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/30/political-correctness-how-the-right-invented-phantom-enemy-donald-trump

I'm not saying it can't be a bad thing but it's far too over used nowadays. Anything that a right-winger finds offensive is now "political correctness gone mad".

Even as a lefty I find some stuff to be overkill. They've added so many letters onto LGBTQ that I don't even know what most of them mean anymore. However the right use the phrase to describe anything they don't like. Can't drill for oil on a nature reserve? It's political correctness gone mad!.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,168 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, I'll go this far; if it's a thing, it's a thing mainly invented by people on the right, to fill their need for victim status or to allow them to present themselves as edgy rebels.

When someone says "I know it's not politically correct, but . . .", what that means is they expect to be criticised for saying whatever it is that they are about to say, and they think - or they hope you will think - that by acknowledging the criticism in advance they somehow deprive the criticism of any force or merit. (Logic is not the strong point here, obviously.)

The other common usage of the term we have already seen in this thread. "It's political correctness gone mad!" means "I don't like this, but I can't be arsed to construct a reasoned argument as to why I don't like it".

The point is, these usages are both negative and pejorative. Political correctness exists, if it exists at all, as something to be repudiated, denounced or denied.

As something affirmative, something that anybody ever actually urged on anyone else, it was only ever a linguistic phenomenon. In the 1970s, for example, words like "n1gger" and "f@ggot" were described as "not politically correct" or "not politically acceptable". (This usage was a passing fad among liberals; by the early 80s the term "politically correct" had been supplanted in liberal circles by terms like "right on".) The right wing of the time considered such statements an intolerable intrusion on their freedom to use whatever words they like. (They were then, as they are now, delicate snowflakes who find disagreement or criticism of any kind inherently oppressive.) They co-opted the term "politically correct", turned it into a pejorative, expanded its meaning and right down to the present day use it to refer to any phenomenon that they don't like, such as laws against revenge killings. And that's the only sense in which the term has been used for the past forty years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Must have been the same group protesting on O'Connell street the afternoon of the New Zealand match few weeks back. Many looked dis-interested, very half hearted by some, bits of cardboard and poster paint. Maybe some were there just so they could tweet that they were part of it?
    Normally a few bystanders might stop to see whats going on, it seemed here like no one was batting an eye. Quick look and keep moving on.

And right in the middle of them all, a poor chap holding a sign for a Fish + Chip shop :D

Best comment on the link OP posted: "Well that's just outrageous - she has the knife and fork the wrong way round!"

Old Bill wrote: »
    The anmial rights brigade are now telling us that we can't eat meat on Christmas Day.

So one person is a brigade now?

Looks like one person who has an idea and she decided to spread that idea in quite an artistic and unique way that added a little break to the norm in an otherwise dark and grey street. In a way that does not tell you what to think - but _makes_ you think. Which in my view is the ideal way to spread any message.

And she did it in weather that is quite cold? Fair play to her.

More power to her. She can spread her message. I do not have to listen to it or act on it.

The goose that my little daughter has been feeding and has named "Danny the Dinner" who I acquired around my property some time ago now is still going to end up on our plates on Christmas Day. Actually she has been genuinely interested to see how we will fit it in the freezer when its "done".
    Old Bill wrote: »
    This is another example of Political Correctness gone mad.

I will admit to being a _little_ unclear as to what the definition of "political correctness" actually is these days. But the definitions I think I do know - I genuinely can not see how this fits. Could you elaborate? Which definition are you using? What do you actually think the term means?

You do know that urban dictionary is not an _Actual_ dictionary right? Just like waterford whispers is not an _actual_ news site?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

The goose that my little daughter has been feeding and has named "Danny the Dinner" who I acquired around my property some time ago now is still going to end up on our plates on Christmas Day. Actually she has been genuinely interested to see how we will fit it in the freezer when its "done".

:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If my Christmas dinner looks like that I will be extremely disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

The fork is on the wrong side.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Grayson wrote: »
    Have you ever looked at the meaning of political correctness or do you just apply it to anything you dislike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    The fork is on the wrong side.

Obviously a leftie…

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

The Animal rights crowd can suck my Brussel. sprouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

They tried to ban the spuds in 1845 and look what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Don't mention pork is basically in everything. Especially medical products.

Most vegans do realise this and go to great lengths to find alternatives, but they have to live their lives and have time constraints like everyone else. Fair fecks to them for trying, imo.

People get smug because they'll probably never make their life 100% vegan which is just pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's fascinating. It would be interesting to know how she reacts to killing and preparing the bird. It's great to give a child the insight into where their food comes from.

I get annoyed when people will eat an anonymous piece of meat which comes prepared in a styrofoam packaging, but couldn't possibly kill the animal, gut it or pluck the feathers. 'I couldn't eat anything with eyes', said by a meat eater, is a pet peeve.

If everyone had the experience your child will have, I'm sure it would make them think about what it is they're eating and what happened in the food processing chain. I'd imagine it would lead to lower meat consumption and much less waste. It has that affect on me at least.

I'm not a veggie BTW.

That's fascinating. It would be interesting to know how she reacts to killing and preparing the bird. It's great to give a child the insight into where their food comes from.

She reacts quite well to it in terms of the wild rabbit and fish I catch and we kill.

Something the size and complexity of a goose however I will hold my hands up and say I am outsourcing that task to a butcher I am friendly with. The same for my hogget. And the farmers in our extended family tend to do the same with their pigs. Not at all because I can not bring myself to do it or anything. It just takes a level of skill and equipment a little bit beyond rabbits.

So it will be more a case of the animal(s) in question being shipped off with a wave - and then returning in packets. So the actual killing process will not be one she is exposed to with the goose (although she is with the rabbit and fish). But the concept could not be clearer where the animal is off to and why.

It certainly does not appear to have moved her to lower her interest or consumption of meat to be honest. But she is only 6 so there is time yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That all sounds class. Fair play.
    It certainly does not appear to have moved her to lower her interest or consumption of meat to be honest. But she is only 6 so there is time yet

I don't suppose she cooks much of her own food at 6 but it will he interesting to see how her attitudes compare to most people who never experience any of that

Actually we cook together a lot. It is one of our bonding things given I love to cook so much. Whereas many people make cooking and eating a kind of hurdle in the way of doing things they want to do with their free time (like tele or gaming or reading or whatever) - cooking for me _is_ my hobby and I spend a lot of time at it.

She can make a banana bread entirely alone without help for example - except the hot over part which I take care of. She can pretty much gut and fillet a whole fish (though only with supervision cause - you know - super sharp fish knife) and she loves getting messy and making our own burgers. Which involves the messy squishing of minced meat and other ingredients together by hand. And little hands are great for pulling out giblets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

mzungu wrote: »
    Someday...somebody will post an actual example of political correctness gone mad. But, nobody will bother to click on it.

Proper boy who cried wolf stuff going on here.
    I imagine it will end with a hitler like character rising to power that wants to Mercy genocide the entire Jewish popultion to protect them from anti semitism.

It's not even that far fetched, it's basically what animal rights activists want to do to all domestic animals. Wipe out all the species to protect them from being killed for food.
    We did that one year when I was young. My father and I went off and bought a giant turkey for the Christmas dinner. I don't remember bonding with the thing or anything but I do remember the day it died. WE went to some other guys house and he just grabbed the turkey and cut it's head of in his backyard. It ran around the place like a crazy zombie. This was also back in the day before safety belts and other laws were enforced. So I had to stay in the back of the van with this twitching turkey all the way home. Then it hung in the back kitchen for days half plucked because none of us could spend any time around it. Needless to say nobody bar dad eat the turkey on Christmas day. Maybe that was his plan all along.

Man I would do the opposite. I am not a fan of turkey _at all_. My plan would be to ensure everyone else but me would eat it. I find it too dry and tasteless - even in restaurants when cooked by professionals. Give me chicken - duck - or goose any day.

I guess a lot of it comes down to how you present it to the kid. Yours sounded quite graphic and unexpected. Whereas I have an ongoing narrative that ensure the kids know everything that is going to happen long before it happens. Offing rabbits is not exactly a pretty experience but it does not seem to bother them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Man I would do the opposite. I am not a fan of turkey _at all_. My plan would be to ensure everyone else but me would eat it. I find it too dry and tasteless - even in restaurants when cooked by professionals. Give me chicken - duck - or goose any day.

I guess a lot of it comes down to how you present it to the kid. Yours sounded quite graphic and unexpected. Whereas I have an ongoing narrative that ensure the kids know everything that is going to happen long before it happens. Offing rabbits is not exactly a pretty experience but it does not seem to bother them.

I love the dark meat on the turkey. The breast is far too dry and not as tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I like a bit of both, and ham, with cranberry sauce, gravy, stuffing. Preferably all on the one fork. It's political correctness gone mad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This does assume that political correctness is an actual thing.

Which, you know, it isn't.
    Before it started getting thrown about as a pejorative, it was a thing with the 70s American left. But, like most terms these days, it is now mostly used out of context.

Most vegans do realise this and go to great lengths to find alternatives, but they have to live their lives and have time constraints like everyone else. Fair fecks to them for trying, imo.

People get smug because they'll probably never make their life 100% vegan which is just pathetic.

I know someone who looks up clothing dyes and stuff like that too. It's one hell of an effort and I certainly couldn't do it.

You're not cooking it properly. I'm a vegetarian and I cook xmas dinner for my family every year. For some stupid reason the vegetarian is the best at coking meat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

I'll be having a big bowl of insects on 'Christmas' day. Just doing my bit to save the environment. It's what the UN recommends.

Though as an atheist I do not partake in primitive religious festivals like the rest of the sheeple.

*tips fedora

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ah here, as if Guinness-fuelled farts weren't bad enough already! :o

Here's something that does actually seem like political correctness gone mad.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/dec/05/to-kill-a-mockingbird-removed-virginia-schools-racist-language-harper-lee?CMP=fb_gu
    o Kill a Mockingbird and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn have been suspended from the curriculum in some Virginia schools, after a parent complained about the use of racial slurs.

Harper Lee and Mark Twain’s literary classics were removed from classrooms in Accomack County, in Virginia after a formal complaint was made by the mother of a biracial teenager. At the centre of the complaint was the use of the N-word, which appears frequently in both titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Dr Jakub wrote: »
    I'll be having a big bowel of insects on 'Christmas' day.

I heard of 'butterflies in the stomach' but 'crickets up the bum-bum'? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

I heard of 'butterflies in the stomach' but 'crickets up the bum-bum'? :eek:

Well spotted my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Grayson wrote: »
    You're not cooking it properly. I'm a vegetarian and I cook xmas dinner for my family every year. For some stupid reason the vegetarian is the best at coking meat.

I'll have you know that Mrs Tayto has a black belt in cookery. She could kill you with one chop.
    I will also convey your opinion to her. You'll be safe as long as your address remains secret :D

Advertisement