Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Noise Nightmare

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Interesting - scientific report based on long term study & evaluation of over a million people living near airports including Berlin, Frankfurt, Berne in Switzerland & others - long term affects of airport noise exposute included depression, stress, developmental delays in childrens learning and cardiovascular problems - wouldn't have guessed the last one.

Study may be flawed - did they allow for the people that buy a house beside an airport and then spend their lives whining about the noise ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

gctest50 wrote: »
    Study may be flawed - did they allow for the people that buy a house beside an airport and then spend their lives whining about the noise ?

Exactly, it could be the constant dull drone of the person they live with complaining about the background noise that effected them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

gctest50 wrote: »

largely due to fundamentally flawed economic principles such as free market economics, some simply cannot afford to live in the most ideal places. unfortunately some people simply have to make sacrifices that place them in areas which are less than ideal. these people have the right to protest for their peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    largely due to fundamentally flawed economic principles such as free market economics, some simply cannot afford to live in the most ideal places. unfortunately some people simply have to make sacrifices that place them in areas which are less than ideal. these people have the right to protest for their peace of mind.

Yeah big sacrifices made by those poor folk living in Portmarnock and Howth. Poor souls forced to settle for what they could afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lawred2 wrote: »
    Yeah big sacrifices made by those poor folk living in Portmarnock and Howth. Poor souls forced to settle for what they could afford.

id say most of them are indebted to their eyeballs, just like everybody else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

I moved years ago to countryside under Cork airport approach... I hated the traffic noise and house alarms of the city... but the spooling sound of a CF56 on an early summers morning turns me on!

The Cork to Amsterdam Aer Lingus route was my wake up call for years...

Oh and the feathering of the props on a summers evening during lineup... I'm sweating thinking about it.. ha ha ha..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I live under an occasional flight path, you can notice when it's being used but not too bad usually. Always thought the stories of the noise were a bit exaggerated.

About two weeks ago though it was really bad through the night, I was actually surprised at how loud it was and that it woke me up. Went into work the next day and a couple of my colleagues who live near me thought the same. If it was like that every night I'd understand the complaints tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Wellywoo

I live under the flightpath for Shannon - London & mainland Europe. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, you get used to it. Not so long ago Shannon was very quiet compared to when I was growing up, but now that it's getting more flights, I'm used to it again. It's almost comforting.

The only time I thought the roof was going to come off was when the Antonov 225 was still ascending over my house en route to France. Given how rarely it stops off in Ireland, the excitement of seeing it should outweigh the noise!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    id say most of them are indebted to their eyeballs, just like everybody else

What's that got to do with your original point?

You know the one about flawed economic models and people being forced to choose living in non ideal areas under flight paths.. Yet oddly Portmarnock and Howth remain some of the most desirable locations to live in county Dublin...

Much cheaper places to live in Dublin. And places not under flight paths too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

faceman wrote: »
    Meanwhile on the south side.... no, nothing to report

hahaha oh no you did not ? :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Who drives at 30kph?

Noise 30km from the airport Might be something to do with the new Point merge system and continuous descent at 3 degrees that was introduced in April 2015 by the IAA

https://www.iaa.ie/news/2015/11/13/iaa-point-merge-optimising-air-traffic-control-at-irelands-busiest-airport

Advertisement