Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Noise Nightmare

Options
  • 01-12-2016 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭

In the usual twisty planning process, planning permission was finally given by An Bord Pleanala to build a new runway (North) in 2007 - with 31 conditions attached - including arguably the most important one - no night flights between 11pm and 7am. Under the banner of EU compliance the government is looking to cede control of this process to a private profit making commercial organisation - the Irish Aviation Authority - which surprisingly is not under government control or accountable to it - it is just seen as an 'expert". Unsurprisingly, the IAA wish to have the conditions of the planning permission overthrown and run planes into the old and soon to be built new runway night and day. Every plane that lands or flies overhead will pay them a fee. The noise for many houses in this NEW flightpath will be so bad that the DAA are "secretly"/privately approaching individual homeowners to propose they buy their homes from them - not CPO, but buy at a price they determine. Thousands more homes will become unusable as functioning places to work, play and most importantly sleep because of the noise of low flying planes that our runway cannot even hold yet as it has not been designed to take their weight and engine capacity. But the new runway North, and its new flightpath will - and they are about to start building it - ten years later, when everyone has almost forgotten about it. The legislation ceding control to the Irish Aviation Authority is about to be brought in by "the government" The Dublin Airport Authoriity has mapped out some houses that may qualify for noise insulation - there is a big difference between their noise allocation and that of the planning/fingal, and the levels approved by the world health organisation. Did you know that this was all going on? Do you know if your house will be in the new flightpath. Have you looked to see if you will be affected? Did you take part in the quietly advertised consultation that was done by a private third party business? Or are you just hoping your home, school, etc will not be affected by screaming planes 24/7?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

I won't hear it in clare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Are the planes screaming because their afraid of heights

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Rant over?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I checked there yesterday as it happens, seems that im safe enough in Galway, best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Not a peep to be heard up here in Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

They're crying out for paragraphs! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

We'd be glad to have some of those flights going into Cork, Shannon and Knock then, balance the country out a bit.

When my humming was smothered by the 46a
    And the scream of a low flying jet
    So I jumped on a bus to Dun Laoghaire
    Stopping off to pick up my guitar etc etc etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Meanwhile on the south side.... no, nothing to report

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

faceman wrote: »
    Meanwhile on the south side.... no, nothing to report

haha - thats what you think - Dunlaoghaire, Glenageary and city centre will be affected - depending on the deviation paths which will be allowed from the new runway - 15% in each direction
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Lived in swords all my life and I Can't say i even notice the noise from the planes .

Unless there's compo on offer . If so then the noise is indeed a nightmare .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The Muppet wrote: »
    Lived in swords all my life and I Can't say i even notice the noise from the planes .

Unless there's compo on offer . If so then the noise is indeed a nightmare .

Haha. Same here but Coolock. Slightly off flight path so didn't want to comment. This only became an issue when Portmarnock came under flight path. Most likely got a couple of councillors a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Airport has been there since the 1940s. Probably shouldn't have bought a home near the country's main airport without considering that it might expand eventually. The need for the the airport to expand and all the associated development that brings vastly overwhelms the moaning of a few locals and always should.

I don't use the word moaning to trivialise it either; aircraft fly out over my house every day and you get used to it. It's never bothered me in in the slightest.

Also OP, your post reads like the preaching of a local moaning action group rather than the musings of an AH contributor. Perhaps you'd be more at home with your soap box at a water protest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

The houses are rural and therefore should be demolished, we've too many people living rural and it's costing a fortune to subsidize. Just compensate the residents with a house in an urban area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

haha - thats what you think - Dunlaoghaire, Glenageary and city centre will be affected - depending on the deviation paths which will be allowed from the new runway - 15% in each direction

I'm on a flight path in Dublin 1 that's used at times. I never hear a plane from indoors and even outdoors it's a very low level sound. Only the Garda or coast guard helicopters can be heard indoors. The flight path doesn't impact me at all and it certainly won't impact Dun Laoghaire or Glenageary. Away with your scaremongering!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,440 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Friends house backs on to the Dart line, they don't hear it because they are used to it.
    It'll be the same with the same planes

How much compo are you looking for OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Pfft. I shan't weep for anyone who can afford to live that close to Dublin. The poor darlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

:( Your house is now like HIV - no one wants it, can't get rid of it

here, put this on loop in the background at home so you'll be used to the noise :

• Advertisement

How will anyone know if they will be affected by increased noise levels before it's operational? I ask because you claim it'll affect places on the south side when it currently doesn't affect Dublin 1. Surely once it's operational then that's the time to prove it's a hazard to your hearing and then seek compo for hearing loss and to soundproof your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm on a flight path in Dublin 1 that's used at times. I never hear a plane from indoors and even outdoors it's a very low level sound. Only the Garda or coast guard helicopters can be heard indoors. The flight path doesn't impact me at all and it certainly won't impact Dun Laoghaire or Glenageary. Away with your scaremongering!

It currently does affect DL and Glenageary. There are night flights from 11pm until 2am some nights of low cloud cover. I wear ear plugs in bed and can still hear them.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Airport has been there since the 1940s. Probably shouldn't have bought a home near the country's main airport without considering that it might expand eventually. The need for the the airport to expand and all the associated development that brings vastly overwhelms the moaning of a few locals and always should.

I don't use the word moaning to trivialise it either; aircraft fly out over my house every day and you get used to it. It's never bothered me in in the slightest.

there are new schools that are being built with soundproofing in the classrooms as far out as Tyrrelstown and Blanchardstown in recognition of how bad it is going to be. Whole streets are being quietly bought out by the airport - they won't pay for the land, or businesses, but entire communities are being quietly moved. As regards main airport that stands to reason - however having the no night-time flights planning permission overruled is going to affect people and properties that have never been affected before - and this will be a new route and a new part of the city affected - it hasn't been built yet so those people who will be under it won't know what hit them until it is too late.

And isn't boards for all kinds of everything - where else would I talk about it!

How will anyone know if they will be affected by increased noise levels before it's operational? I ask because you claim it'll affect places on the south side when it currently doesn't affect Dublin 1. Surely once it's operational then that's the time to prove it's a hazard to your hearing and then seek compo for hearing loss and to soundproof your house.

no - it dosn't work that way. The Dublin Airport Authority and new Irish Aviation Authority who will become the new control agency have set their indications of noise levels at significantly different onees to the ones fingal council used when doing their presentation of facts to An Bord Pleanala. The noise levels proposed by the DAA/IAA are already much higher that those recommended by the world health organisation. At present the DAA are negotiating with some houses and homeowners WHO APPROACH THEM or seek to negotiate with them to buy out their houses or to soundproof their homes. However if people do not know they might be affected they cannot sign up to the buy-outs, or ask to be included, or contest the figures, or negotiate.

A lot of new homes and people are - I suggest - going to be really f****** over this. The lease of whom will be Tyrrelstown, Swords, the citycentre, Glenageary, Dunlaoghaire, and currently affected Beaumount/Artane - and thats on the old smaller runway - the new one will be double the length, take much greater capacity planes, and the city will be facing flights landing and taking off every 3 minutes - with noise levels not yet experienced because the planes cannot yet land in this country as our runway is not up to par yet. The new one will be built to withstand greater size planes, landing and flying over different parts of the city, with different routes and deviations from the routes allowed - therefore more and different houses affected. It is going to be a nightmare.

and no - they are not CPO'ing houses - they are saying I'll give you a set price for your house and land - take it or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It currently does affect DL and Glenageary. There are night flights from 11pm until 2am some nights of low cloud cover. I wear ear plugs in bed and can still hear them.

Flights leaving Dublin Airport affect your sleep so badly in DL / Glenageary that you have to wear ear plugs?

Precious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Sorry to sound like a bollox but why buy a house near an international airport??

I fly out of weston myself......I was once 'reported' for flying to low and the noise was terrible........apparently

Was I low, yes I was, however I was on a glide approach with my instructor and engine was at idle so im not sure what the noise was

Weston was there well before any housing estate and the estate in question showed a picture of a plane and a runway whilst advertised for sale...........again go away and don't buy a house near an airport if you don't like the noise

According to my instructor Weston get several reports a day......dam them noisy Cessna 152's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

there are new schools that are being built with soundproofing in the classrooms as far out as Tyrrelstown and Blanchardstown in recognition of how bad it is going to be. Whole streets are being quietly bought out by the airport - they won't pay for the land, or businesses, but entire communities are being quietly moved. As regards main airport that stands to reason - however having the no night-time flights planning permission overruled is going to affect people and properties that have never been affected before - and this will be a new route and a new part of the city affected - it hasn't been built yet so those people who will be under it won't know what hit them until it is too late.

And isn't boards for all kinds of everything - where else would I talk about it!

Not objecting to what you said, it was the way it was said.

You and an awful lot of others in the area around the airport are significantly overeacting.

sdanseo wrote: »

I live 30km from the airport. There has always been a flight path over the area but over the last year they have been flying at a very low altitude late at night and early in the morning.

This isn't even a not in my backyard situation. My backyard is an hour's drive away from the airport and it is affecting my sleep

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Flights leaving Dublin Airport affect your sleep so badly in DL / Glenageary that you have to wear ear plugs?

Precious!

I wear ear plugs anyway. I can hear the flights through the ear plugs. You don't know the situation, so you probably shouldn't comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

keep-calm-and-use-paragraphs-9.jpg

Advertisement