Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Noise Nightmare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I live 30km from the airport. There has always been a flight path over the area but over the last year they have been flying at a very low altitude late at night and early in the morning.

This isn't even a not in my backyard situation. My backyard is an hour's drive away from the airport and it is affecting my sleep

Roughly where?

If there's maintenance on 10/28 (soon, 10R/28L, the current main runway) then often 16/34 is used. Instead of departing/approaching over Blanch/St Margarets or Portmarnock, you get aircraft movements over Ashbourne and the city centre instead.

Commercial airliners do not fly at "very low altitude" at 30km/15nm from an airport. They'd be either departing and at about 6,000ft or landing at around 3,500-4,000ft on near idle power at that distance, generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

It currently does affect DL and Glenageary. There are night flights from 11pm until 2am some nights of low cloud cover. I wear ear plugs in bed and can still hear them.

Maybe your hearing aid is to high??

I live in Belmaye which is nearly directy under the flight path and I don't notice them unless I actually stop and listen.

I have no idea how you can even hear them in Glenageary???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I wear ear plugs anyway. I can hear the flights through the ear plugs. You don't know the situation, so you probably shouldn't comment

You should try St Margaret's for the craic. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have transatlantic planes go over where I live, but at least they are about 35,000ft plus above my head and not that loud.
    I stayed in one of the hotels at Dublin airport recently and yes they are loud and I did think 'I am glad I don't live around here'.
    But reading a block of text with no paragraphs was more annoying.

My advice would be to not make a massive deal of it in your home. People get used to noise if it's left alone but if you moan about it every evening before bed, it will always be on your family's minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My advice would be to not make a massive deal of it in your home. People get used to noise if it's left alone but if you moan about it every evening before bed, it will always be on your family's minds.

Planes taking offf and landing throughout the night - and contrary to what yerman thinks they do this at levels less than 3,000 feet - nobody will be getting any sleep. The old runway ( 10/28) and the slip runways that they are currently using while the NEW North runway is being built hold much smaller capacity planes & are on different flightpaths - a whole lot of new houses and people are going to be very upset and a lot of properties reduced in value. Don't say ya wern't warned - the city's nightmare is about to begin unless something is done to keep the original planning conditions of no night flights between 11pm & 7am.
    Public consultation & submissions on daa.ie end tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Sleeping in complete silence is unnatural. We slept in noisy forests and jungles not so long ago. Don't buy a house or rent next to an Airport if you're an insufferable complainer. Airports should operate 24/7/365.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Whole streets are being quietly bought out by the airport

Name them please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Airports should operate 2/7/364.

2 hours a day! Fuppin hell that wont last long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

gctest50 wrote: »
    :( Your house is now like HIV - no one wants it, can't get rid of it

here, put this on loop in the background at home so you'll be used to the noise :

I find those plane sounds strangely soothing, like a giant hairdryer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sleeping in complete silence is unnatural. We slept in noisy forests and jungles not so long ago. Don't buy a house or rent next to an Airport if you're an insufferable complainer. Airports should operate 2/7/364.

Forests at night are generally very quite, and the important words are, 'we slept', I.e. past tense! Having a peaceful night sleep is extremely important to one's well being, sleep deprivation can lead to extremely serious health issues including mental health problems. Also, many of us do not have the ability to live in the ideal location due to many factors, finances being one such factor. Airports should have very strict operating hours due to these issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I live on one of the roads around the airport about 5 mins from one of the entrances. I can genuinely say we hear a plane maybe twice a day. Have no issue with the airport expanding, it's to be expected and nobody who purchased a house around it should be surprised. As much as they lobby for 24/7 flights, it won't happen. AFAIK even Heathrow has night time restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Allinall

OP, I have it on excellent authority that Advanced Pitstop in Swords have already been given a five year exclusive contract to modify the exhausts on all planes using the new runway.

This will ensure the noise levels comply with the N3- UBT (1974) regulations and guarantee a good nights sleep for all the precious petals in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It currently does affect DL and Glenageary. There are night flights from 11pm until 2am some nights of low cloud cover. I wear ear plugs in bed and can still hear them.

I'm much closer to the airport than you and I don't even notice them even with low cloud cover and I have no problems with my hearing. I also lived in Glenageary for a year...no problem with aircraft noise then either. Since your hearing is so sensitive then you could get better earplugs. When I'm staying in my parents I use 3M EAR Soft FX earplugs as my father is like an elephant in the mornings. They work a treat.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Forests at night are generally very quite, and the important words are, 'we slept', I.e. past tense! Having a peaceful night sleep is extremely important to one's well being, sleep deprivation can lead to extremely serious health issues including mental health problems. Also, many of us do not have the ability to live in the ideal location due to many factors, finances being one such factor. Airports should have very strict operating hours due to these issues[/quote

Dublin airport currently has the least restrictions of all airports in Europe - basically anything goes in terms of noise, & landing - most other european airports and governments protect their citizens and allow them a full nights sleep. Unlike the plans for Dublins new runway & despite An Bord Pleanala putting conditions on the new runway which the government are actively refusing to comply with. What is the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,438 ✭✭✭✭ted1

sugarman wrote: »
    I once lived in a house that directly backed onto LAX, at first I couldnt sleep a wink but literally a week or 2 later I didnt even notice it.

Exactly , anyone who lives near a flight path and cleim that they can't sleep because if it has other issues and possibly sleep apnea. Once you are use to a nouse you soon forget it's there

Dublin airport currently has the least restrictions of all airports in Europe - basically anything goes in terms of noise, & landing - most other european airports and governments protect their citizens and allow them a full nights sleep.

As I am one of those that will be impacted (according to you), then please provide the evidence so I can make an educated decision about getting on board your fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ted1 wrote: »
    Exactly , anyone who lives near a flight path and cleim that they can't sleep because if it has other issues and possibly sleep apnea. Once you are use to a nouse you soon forget it's there
    I slept in the same room as a newborn for six months with white noise/gentle music on in the background the entire time.

Seriously, if you're blaming a small amount of dull noise for keeping you awake, then you probably have a undiagnosed sleep disorder. Go to the doctor and get a prescription for sleeping pills or happy pills or something.

People who are consistently precious about quiet and complaining that they can't get enough sleep wreck my head. It's obvious that they're the problem, but they think everyone else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

The Muppet wrote: »
    Lived in swords all my life and I Can't say i even notice the noise from the planes .

Unless there's compo on offer . If so then the noise is indeed a nightmare .

Under Internation Civil Aviation Organisation safety rules where 2 runways are less than 2km apart ( Northrunway will be 1.6km from current one ) then planes have to diverge by 15 degrees immediately on take off ...so some parts of swords and many other areas surrounding the airport may just start to notice an increase in noise

If you want to find our more visit www.forumnewrunway.org or visit out FB page https://www.facebook.com/forumnewrunway/

Regards

DAK

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

seamus wrote:
    I slept in the same room as a newborn for six months with white noise/gentle music on in the background the entire time.

seamus wrote:
    Seriously, if you're blaming a small amount of dull noise for keeping you awake, then you probably have a undiagnosed sleep disorder. Go to the doctor and get a prescription for sleeping pills or happy pills or something.

seamus wrote:
    People who are consistently precious about quiet and complaining that they can't get enough sleep wreck my head. It's obvious that they're the problem, but they think everyone else is.

Some people are very light sleepers and are very easily disturbed, obviously you aren't. This really does cause serious health issues.

Pills do not solve all things. I'm a very light sleeper and was recommended professionally, not to take sleeping pills.

Quietness is good for all, we are a noisy bunch when we get going. Quietness is good for everybody's well being including animals.

The term 'atomisation' is springing to mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Sleeping in complete silence is unnatural. We slept in noisy forests and jungles not so long ago. Don't buy a house or rent next to an Airport if you're an insufferable complainer. Airports should operate 2/7/364.

364 days of the year? Pilots don't fly on pancake Tuesday?

As I am one of those that will be impacted (according to you), then please provide the evidence so I can make an educated decision about getting on board your fight.

Here is a comparison of noise abatement policies and procedures based on information from a November 15 publication by a group called Airport Regions Conference which is a European group made up of local and government authorities

Their report can be read here :

http://www.airportregions.org/resources/noise-policies-in-airport-regions/

Regards

Dak
    FORUM
    www.forumnewrunway.org

https://www.facebook.com/forumnewrunway/

The north / South facing Runway 16/34 is in use from 5pm to 7am for the next 18 months as the DAA are resurfacing the 10/28 runway at night .

This is why you have more noise at the moment on the south side and will have until the resurfacing is complete !

dak wrote: »
    Here is a comparison of noise abatement policies and procedures based on information from a November 15 publication by a group called Airport Regions Conference which is a European group made up of local and government authorities

Their report can be read here :

Regards

Dak
    FORUM
    www.forumnewrunway.org

https://www.facebook.com/forumnewrunway/

doesn't mention Dublin at all unless I've missed it. Also, the attached file is just an excel that anyone could have created.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

dak wrote: »
    Under Internation Civil Aviation Organisation safety rules where 2 runways are less than 2km apart ( Northrunway will be 1.6km from current one ) then planes have to diverge by 15 degrees immediately on take off ...so some parts of swords and many other areas surrounding the airport may just start to notice an increase in noise

If you want to find our more visit www.forumnewrunway.org or visit out FB page https://www.facebook.com/forumnewrunway/

Regards

DAK

52 years in swords, back when Aeroplanes were noisy it never bothered me, doubt they will now even if they do get a little closer.

ted1 wrote: »

Tell that to your children & your boss when he's giving you your P45 because your performance is so bad as you hav't had a good nights solid uninterrupted sleep for a month. Someone Has listed a video of a plan taking off here - now imagine that waking you up ten times an hour or screaming above your house as it descends to land on its new route home.

The Chinese & Russians have always used sleep deprivation as a form of tourtue - invisible & inexpensive - leave no marrs & hard to prove in court. What hope will an everyday person or family have against this when/if it is forced in.

Exactly the point ... apart from Continuous descent arrivals and engine testing restrictions Dublin Airport has little other noise abatement policies or procedures.

Makes you wonder why Dublin isn't even mentioned and Fingal CC are a sitting member of ARC .

They obviously don't want to draw attention to the fact that they are one of the least regulated in Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

When there is a Northerly wind blowing the North/South runway is used and the flightpath brings aircraft in low over Bray Head. At night when a plane is passing overhead you can see the big headlights of the following plane just coming over Bray Head. Seemingly due to runway maintenance, this will be a regular occurrence for the next year. I'm not worried. Doesn't bother me at all and I sleep in the attic conversion. Ditto for the railway line 50m away. The Tannoy Platform announcements annoy me more than the rumble and vibrations of the trains. Its not like I have great sound proofing either. The drunks on the way home from the local pubs on the weekends are much louder and more annoying.

The Muppet wrote: »
    52 years in swords, back when Aeroplanes were noisy it never bothered me, doubt they will now even if they do get a little closer.

Noise affects some more than others . If you are desensitised too it you don't have much to worry about ... But bear a thought for others who are sensitive to noise and especially the health effects on the cognitive and physiological of children that the NORAH report has issued in relation to the effects of exposure to continuous aircraft noise .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I live under the flight path for DA.

Don't hear a thing.

God bless sound proofing.

Advertisement