Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

My GHome is not playing ball at all. Several reboots later its like I'm speaking a foreign language, wont do anything it used to. First world problems, I know, but voice recognition is basically non existant. Might pack it away for a while.

Have you factory reset it? Hold mic button for over 15 seconds .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

My GHome is not playing ball at all. Several reboots later its like I'm speaking a foreign language, wont do anything it used to. First world problems, I know, but voice recognition is basically non existant. Might pack it away for a while.

Have you had a look in the home app to see what it thinks your saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Yeah, even uninstalled Home on my android. Will try it all again tomorrow.

Q..."Ok google play Newstalk on tunein"

A..."Ok playing daft punk on spotify"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Q..."Ok google play Newstalk on tunein"

A..."Ok playing daft punk on spotify"

I find the last word of the sentence is very important to tell Home what you want. If it's "Podcast" it will always play me a podcast (even if it's the wrong one), "playlist" and it will always hit spotify and for radio it has to be "FM".

"Ok google play Newstalk on tunein" wouldn't work for me, "Ok google play newstalk FM" will be fine

• Advertisement

Its been working for weeks, now it just isn't. Often it doesn't even tell me it cant help me with that or it cant do that or whatever. It listens, spins, them goes bacl to sleep.

Its been working for weeks, now it just isn't. Often it doesn't even tell me it cant help me with that or it cant do that or whatever. It listens, spins, them goes bacl to sleep.

I was just looking through the gHome subreddit and seen this https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/5r38ds/gh_getting_worse_at_understanding_me/

Could it be static?

Thanks, I will try that.

Gave up after..."Play Newstalk fm"

"Cafe is spelt c a f e" agh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I shook it about a bit and blew on the mic and it seems to be understanding English again. For now!

• Advertisement

I shook it about a bit and blew on the mic and it seems to be understanding English again. For now!

Good stuff. Did you have a listen to what it has recorded you saying? This completely freaked herself out this morning when I was playing back everything she'd said to the home yesterday :pac:

I have 2 gmail accounts/email addresses, one a personal one, the other a work one.

I went into https://myactivity.google.com on both accounts to try to diagnose the issue I'm having.

Firstly, some of my voice control attempts are on the activity history of my personal, others on the work one. All were attempts via google home. I dont have voice activation turned on on my phone now, though I did previously. Any ideas why it seems to arbitrarily swap between the two accounts.

On the work account, where I have the option to PLAY (i.e. replay the command) it is linked to Google App, on the personal it is linked to Assistant. Both of them have the transcript of what it heard. Any idea why one seems to save (or let me listen back to) voice attempts?

The volume is really low recently when listening back, compared to previously, so that would account for the issues - definitely a mic issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Using GH to control hue lights seems to be triggering an issue for me & I'm wondering if anyone's experienced similar.

If I instruct GH to turn lights off in a certain room it'll do it. If I then ask it to do anything such as turn lights back on, tell me the time or set an alarm etc, it's prompting a "Sorry, something went wrong. Try again in a few seconds".

Tried a reboot & factory reset of GH, unlinked my hue account from GH, moved GH location & the issue still persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I posted about the similar-ish issue a few weeks ago.

In the end, I needed to unplug the Hue bridge, turn off all lights at the switch and left the house for a few hours. When I came back, turned everything on and it worked as normal. I'm pretty sure the issue is on the Hue side, as my Harmony remote wasn't able to control the lights properly either.

However, I've had no troubles with alarms, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Was there? I'm finding it hard enough to see what updates are coming.

Speaking of which, while I'm happy with the GHome overall, I'm a little disappointed with the lack of pace - still no Harmony compatibility, one account only, lack of reminders if that hasn't been updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Nope, you can't add reminders yet. I've noticed that you can now ask what album a song is from* which didn't previously work.

*On Google Play Music - not sure about Spotify

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nope, you can't add reminders yet. I've noticed that you can now ask what album a song is from* which didn't previously work.

*On Google Play Music - not sure about Spotify

I think reminders and calendar events will come when multi account support comes. Maybe even with voice recognition.

I don't think it is an issue that they can't simply add calendars and reminders, rather the issue is that GHome is a shared device, thus you run into the issue of whose calendar/to do list do you add it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Has something changed with playing music? She no longer can see my playlists. If I ask her to play music she just picks random music from my collection and plays it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi,
    So I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 phone, and honestly saying "OK Google" works like 1/10 times and is next to useless since it hardly every picks up the wake word.

Is GH better? or will I endlessly be repeating hello google?

I have an S6 too, dont use voice much on it. The GH is very good for waking, sometimes weaker on commands, but generally very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

I tend to use 'Hey Google' rather than 'OK Google' as the former only wakes up my Google Home where the latter wakes up the phone too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi,
    So I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 phone, and honestly saying "OK Google" works like 1/10 times and is next to useless since it hardly every picks up the wake word.

Is GH better? or will I endlessly be repeating hello google?

The OK Google system on Galaxy S6 is completely different to Google Assistant that you find on Google Home and that isn't taking into account the different mics.

The Google Pixel is the only android phone that has a version (though also slightly different) of the same Google Assistant in GH.

So you can't really tell much from it.

Googke Home now has a UK voice now...change from app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Griffinx wrote: »
    Googke Home now has a UK voice now...change from app

Where, I can't see the optional I get is US?

Where, I can't see the optional I get is US?

Google Home app->More Settings->Language->English (UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Griffinx wrote: »
    Google Home app->More Settings->Language->English (UK)

That's odd, I only have English us option

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

Im using the iphone app..heres some screenshots. Maybe they are just rolling it out.

Advertisement