Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

noel100 wrote: »
    Set up six bulbs today from 2 starters kits
    Second starter kit was not recognised till I manually put in serial numbers.
    Working great with Ghome and colours are great. Wife thinks I'm mad telling Ghome changing colours going through rainbow. When we get to red she thinks the the room looks like a brothel.
    Where did you buy the bulbs? Are they expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Where did you buy the bulbs? Are they expensive?

They're pretty expensive. The colour bulbs are £50 each or £150 for 3 bulbs and a bridge. The normal white bulbs are £15 and the white ambiance (can change "temperature" of the white light) are £25.

You could get all at reduced costs at various times from amazon over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Is there a UK/Ireland launch date for this yet? I was in the US last week and forgot to pick one up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

mloc123 wrote: »
    Is there a UK/Ireland launch date for this yet? I was in the US last week and forgot to pick one up :(

no date yet but with other companies bringing out similar devices I'd imagine they'd want to get it released soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

it is bizarre how it refuses to recognize U2. Maybe an apple jab?! Whole family have tried and U2 is always interpreted as 'YouTube' now matter how we say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

BailMeOut wrote: »
    it is bizarre how it refuses to recognize U2. Maybe an apple jab?! Whole family have tried and U2 is always interpreted as 'YouTube' now matter how we say it.
    I've had it play U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Had a quick look at the Google Home app last night and there is a lot of new voice services supported now - Akinator, WebMD, Headspace etc. 15 or 20 new services from memory. Haven't had a chance to check but plan to tonight.

Also set up on Irish Chromecast on the TV and its working perfectly with Google Home - plays Netflix, Spotify, Youtube etc very well.

Now just waiting for the Wemo support to kick in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Got mine in best buy, didn't have any in stock but they ordered it in for me. Set it up no problem when I got home this morning. Really easy to do but a bit disappointed I need a chromecast to control the TV, could have gotten it in the states cheaper had I known. Now to start my collection of smart home products.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mloc123 wrote: »

Looks like I will be back over for work in 4/5 weeks so I guess I'll pick up a couple then

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Csn anyone recommenf the best way to purchase the google home from the us including shipping.

Tried on best buy afew weeks ago but the order got cancelled straight away. Assuming i got geo blocked.

• Advertisement

phenom wrote: »
    Csn anyone recommenf the best way to purchase the google home from the us including shipping.

Tried on best buy afew weeks ago but the order got cancelled straight away. Assuming i got geo blocked.

I know Target ship internationally but not sure what the cost is.

aaronm13 wrote: »

Brilliant . Thanks will give it a try.

Brilliant . Thanks will give it a try.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Other option is ebay.com. Got 2 so far through different sellers. Took around 2 weeks for delivery.

Target at the moment dont ship the google home from what i can see.

Other option is ebay.com. Got 2 so far through different sellers. Took around 2 weeks for delivery.

Target at the moment dont ship the google home from what i can see.

I see that alright. Must try ebay so.
    Ive got an alexa with a basic setup of wemo lights and sockets want to put a google home in the mix aswell and go from there

I see that alright. Must try ebay so.
    Ive got an alexa with a basic setup of wemo lights and sockets want to put a google home in the mix aswell and go from there

Sorry I gave you wrong information about Target. Was looking myself when I was in the states last week. Saw they had the home and shipped internationally, 2+2=10, didn't try to order it, was an option till best buy ordered it in store for me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

TP Link integration coming to Google home

https://9to5google.com/2017/01/06/tp-link-google-home-february/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »

Cool, but this is actually even bigger news. It shows when Google Actions API opens up (the direct actions, versus the conversation one launched a few weeks ago).

This indicates Google Actions API will open by February and thus we will see a flood of direct support for HA tech then.

So I'd also expect to see support coming for Wemo plugs, Harmony Hub, Netatmo, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Can anyone tell me if a Google Home would play "lyric fm" & "rte 1" radio ? using voice commands along the lines of play lyric/rte1 ? in Ireland?

jogdish wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if a Google Home would play "lyric fm" & "rte 1" radio ? using voice commands along the lines of play lyric/rte1 ? in Ireland?

Tested on a few radio stations and they work. Example say play RTE radio 1 on tune in and plays perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Tested on a few radio stations and they work. Example say play RTE radio 1 on tune in and plays perfect.

cool ty! not trying to be smart but does it work with Lyric, as I have heard people say the Amazon ECHO is hit and miss with certain stations - but from what i understand the HOME is "smarter" at actually understanding a request, compared to the echo needing it to be part of a skill?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

jogdish wrote: »
    cool ty! not trying to be smart but does it work with Lyric, as I have heard people say the Amazon ECHO is hit and miss with certain stations - but from what i understand the HOME is "smarter" at actually understanding a request, compared to the echo needing it to be part of a skill?

Yup, just tried it. Works straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

As far as i could see when i was checking, they won't ship the Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Will have one for sale in a few days:

http://www.adverts.ie/media-players/google-home/12082786

Am hoping to get as much as possible for it as will be aiming to buy a GoPro with the money I sell it for (Apologies....am being an unsound capitalist and selling to highest bidder)

Anyway if interested there ya go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

€200 - you're having a laugh. Not cool at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

More like €132, going on today's exchange. I don't think anyone would begrudge €150 but €200 is a bit saucy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

corvus4906 wrote: »
    Will have one for sale in a few days:

http://www.adverts.ie/media-players/google-home/12082786

Am hoping to get as much as possible for it as will be aiming to buy a GoPro with the money I sell it for (Apologies....am being an unsound capitalist and selling to highest bidder)

Anyway if interested there ya go :)

Jaysus, that's pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

€200 - you're having a laugh. Not cool at all.

I expect it to go for 130- 150... Just leaving it there if people want to offer more and bid till I get in the post. Am happy with whatever it goes for. I'm not saying it is 200 euro. Shame there's no bid option for adverts (if you set the price at 150 for example it wouldn't let anyone offer more than 150 ... So set it a bit higher just incase that were to happen)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

ibFoxer wrote: »
    More like €132, going on today's exchange. I don't think anyone would begrudge €150 but €200 is a bit saucy.

Out of Curiosity, what would people pay for a GH shipped from the US?

Just wondering if it would be worth my while buying a few and shipping them over to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Out of Curiosity, what would people pay for a GH shipped from the US?

Just wondering if it would be worth my while buying a few and shipping them over to Ireland.

Somewhere around face value... They'll be launched in Ireland soon with 3 pin plugs, setup for the local power grid and with local services... While getting one prelaunch from the us is great, it also has minor negatives...

+ Those allot of people who really want one previous to launch will be resourceful enough to source one themselves.

Advertisement