Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Somewhere around face value... They'll be launched in Ireland soon with 3 pin plugs, setup for the local power grid and with local services... While getting one prelaunch from the us is great, it also has minor negatives...

+ Those allot of people who really want one previous to launch will be resourceful enough to source one themselves.

Meh, probably not enough to get me interested in that case (no get rich quick scheme for me)

There has been no official announcement as to when it will launch in Ireland.

There are rumours (from friends who work for google) of Easter but nothing confirmed.

The only difference is the 3 pin plug.
    It's a 100-240v power adapter.
    There are no local services that will be preloaded on the GH, it'll pull them all as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There are no local services that will be preloaded on the GH, it'll pull them all as needed.

I may be wrong, but Google may need to turn on certain APIs and services to work both the Home in other territories... Many of the services are server side & the servers are handled separately in different parts of the world. This is certainly the case with Amazon... Certain services are definitely restricted in ireland.

On another note, I am living in the Middle East & we don't have Google movies or music, nor do we have spotify etc... Also Google maps is not as capable here... I'm hoping for Google to activate Deezer and Logitech Harmony to make it more useful for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I think I paid close to 150 including taxes and shipping to a US address so 200 isn't terrible.

Anything under 180 us a steal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, the GHome could be launched in Ireland any day. Right from the start it was more ready for Ireland then Amazon Echo is!

Just box it with an Irish/UK plug and release the GHome app on the Irish app store and it is good to go. Almost everything works perfect out of the box in Ireland. Maybe add better understanding for the word RTE and that would be about it.

I may be wrong, but Google may need to turn on certain APIs and services to work both the Home in other territories... Many of the services are server side & the servers are handled separately in different parts of the world. This is certainly the case with Amazon... Certain services are definitely restricted in ireland.

On another note, I am living in the Middle East & we don't have Google movies or music, nor do we have spotify etc... Also Google maps is not as capable here... I'm hoping for Google to activate Deezer and Logitech Harmony to make it more useful for me...

Would using a VPN (via a custom device) work for you if you wanted to use Ghome?

• Advertisement

Would using a VPN (via a custom device) work for you if you wanted to use Ghome?

We'll see if I need to... I'm hopeful that Google will catch up fairly soon and start adding more app and hardware compatibility... The uptake seems to be good, so I'm sure there's a big effort in the background to get things working. One thing I was a little shocked by was the fact that I can't find a wi-fi 3 pin adapter to work with harmony... Seems like an opportunity for someone to come out with a good product.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

We'll see if I need to... I'm hopeful that Google will catch up fairly soon and start adding more app and hardware compatibility... The uptake seems to be good, so I'm sure there's a big effort in the background to get things working. One thing I was a little shocked by was the fact that I can't find a wi-fi 3 pin adapter to work with harmony... Seems like an opportunity for someone to come out with a good product.

Googles API for third party device support (Google Actions + Google Weave) is currently available to developers and is expected to go live in the next month or two. Once it does, I'd expect an absolute flood of third party device support then.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

bk wrote: »
    Yes, the GHome could be launched in Ireland any day. Right from the start it was more ready for Ireland then Amazon Echo is!

Just box it with an Irish/UK plug and release the GHome app on the Irish app store and it is good to go. Almost everything works perfect out of the box in Ireland. Maybe add better understanding for the word RTE and that would be about it.

Works first time for me every time. Maybe your pronunciation of RTE doesn't work as well 'out of the box' as it should? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I find the d4 pronunciation "or"te doesn't work, but the "are"te works every time!

Apparently the rest of the world doesn't pronounce 'r' the right way... I find the best way is to pretend I'm a pirate... 'arrrre'.

Did anyone see Mark Zuckerberg's video of Jarvis AI? I want to give it a voice like Brad Pitt in Snatch...

• Advertisement

Did anyone see Mark Zuckerberg's video of Jarvis AI? I want to give it a voice like Brad Pitt in Snatch...

Feck that - as soon as it's an option, mine's getting Scarlett Johansson in Her :cool::)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Say i have a Chromecast on my TV in the living room, and i ask the GHome to play Netflix on it, where does it stream it from?

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Say i have a Chromecast on my TV in the living room, and i ask the GHome to play Netflix on it, where does it stream it from?

From Netflix's servers!

From Netflix's servers!

Ah, i was wondering was it from your phone or tablet or something. Is it the same for all the services- Hulu, HBO, etc as in do they all stream from the server?

Here's one...

You know the way that Google Home can kinda act like a Sonos system ie. playing the same music in multiple rooms? Is it possible to have music playing on your Google Home in one room but also the same playing on your Chromecast audio in another room? Been trying to get my head around how it might be possible but not having much luck!

In theory yes... They are both cast speakers & casting now supports multiple devices...

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Ah, i was wondering was it from your phone or tablet or something. Is it the same for all the services- Hulu, HBO, etc as in do they all stream from the server?

Yes, it is the same for all services. Google Cast is just a protocol. For instance when you cast a youtube video from your phone to a Chromecast on your TV, what is actually happening in the background is the phone is simply telling youtube/Netflix/etc. to start streaming the video to your TV's Chromecast.

Much more efficient all around then streaming the video to your phone and then streaming from the phone to the TV. That requires double the bandwidth and just ends up unnecessarily using the phones CPU and battery.
    Here's one...

You know the way that Google Home can kinda act like a Sonos system ie. playing the same music in multiple rooms? Is it possible to have music playing on your Google Home in one room but also the same playing on your Chromecast audio in another room? Been trying to get my head around how it might be possible but not having much luck!

Yes, I do exactly that. I've both a Google Home in the living room and a Chromecast audio on a speaker in the bedroom in one group so that I can cast to both simultaneously. Very easy to setup.

I just say to GHome: "Hey Google, play Nirvanna on Home Group"

Where "Home Group" is the name of the group that includes both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

In the States soon and thinking of picking a Google Home up. Other than the plug any other major issues or better to wait until its released in Ireland?

Yes, it is the same for all services. Google Cast is just a protocol. For instance when you cast a youtube video from your phone to a Chromecast on your TV, what is actually happening in the background is the phone is simply telling youtube/Netflix/etc. to start streaming the video to your TV's Chromecast.

Much more efficient all around then streaming the video to your phone and then streaming from the phone to the TV. That requires double the bandwidth and just ends up unnecessarily using the phones CPU and battery.

Yes, I do exactly that. I've both a Google Home in the living room and a Chromecast audio on a speaker in the bedroom in one group so that I can cast to both simultaneously. Very easy to setup.

I just say to GHome: "Hey Google, play Nirvanna on Home Group"

Where "Home Group" is the name of the group that includes both.

Oh ok - I haven't noticed the 'Home Group' thing anywhere - I presume it's in the Google Home app?

Edit: found an online tutorial for setting it up - cheers

In the States soon and thinking of picking a Google Home up. Other than the plug any other major issues or better to wait until its released in Ireland?

No issues, you just will need to follow the steps in the FAQ to get the Google Home app working in Ireland, but easy to do, just takes two minutes.

It works really well in Ireland IMO.
    Oh ok - I haven't noticed the 'Home Group' thing anywhere - I presume it's in the Google Home app?

Edit: found an online tutorial for setting it up - cheers

BTW "Home Group" is just what I named it, you can call it anything you like.

• Advertisement

It works really well in Ireland IMO.

I agree, I think it is much better than Alexa, who frankly is a bit of a pain :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Set mine up last Monday after having it running in the US last week.

No hassle at all. You might have to change the language in your phone.

One interesting thing - I found it working much faster when I had it in the US. I did a full factory restart before using it here to save any issues. It's sped up since, but it was remarkably faster in the US initially. I guess everything is being dealt with on their US servers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

A lot of times when I ask it to play a particular song it will say sorry but the song is not available in my area (using play music sub). However the song will play fine through play music app on my phone or even when I ask the Google home to play a band and the song eventually comes up skipping through the playlist. It's like it's looking to play the us liscenced version of song instead of the Irish version. Anyone know of any fix?

A lot of times when I ask it to play a particular song it will say sorry but the song is not available in my area (using play music sub). However the song will play fine through play music app on my phone or even when I ask the Google home to play a band and the song eventually comes up skipping through the playlist. It's like it's looking to play the us liscenced version of song instead of the Irish version. Anyone know of any fix?

Sorry, I know it might sound like a cheeky answer, but Spotify?

It just seems to be a much better service then play music IME.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I would but using my leftover three phone credit to pay for play music so kinda free.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I've a similar issue. I think I'll go to Spotify once my current Play Music sub is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

want to play a playlist but want it shuffled. Anyone know a way to do in one command?

Currently you need to

"ok google play playlist 'list name'"
    wait for play to start
    "ok google shuffle"
    wait for response
    "ok google next"

being able to just say "ok google play playlist 'list name' shuffle" would be nice.

I'm having a weird issue with GH and Google play music, I'll ask GH to play a song (it defaults to GPM), it's usually sit silently for 30 secs or so, then play the song, usually stopping mid track for a few seconds for some more silence then continues playing. If it's a playlist, this will usually keep happening for each song on the playlist.

I was convinced I had a wi-fi problem but my wife pointed out she never has the issue when she asks GH to play a song or a playlist from Youtube. She was right, no random silences from youtube....

Oh and when it goes silent, I can say "hey Google, continue" and it'll fire away.

I'm stumped on this....

*edit*
    Looks like it's common enough to have a long thread
    https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/googlehome/rhdl0Lnd_lU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

My GHome is not playing ball at all. Several reboots later its like I'm speaking a foreign language, wont do anything it used to. First world problems, I know, but voice recognition is basically non existant. Might pack it away for a while.

Advertisement