Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Zaph wrote: »
    It possibly says a lot about the state of education in the country that they felt the need to spell that out, rather than assuming people would be able to figure it out themselves. :D
    Well it was Bray...

It did just look like they'd put a "€2.50 =" sticker on top of the existing shelf label banner thing rather than redoing the whole thing.

I don't buy commercial or wine, so didn't even look to see what they'd done there, and I wouldn't have a reference point anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Just back from doing the 'Big' shop. I was prepared for no multi deals, no loyalty points on alcohol purchases. I didn't realise that alcohol does not count as part of your total shop. I had a voucher for €20 off every €100 spent , but that €100 total cannot include drink. No €20 off for me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Herself was out shopping and looking for her Friday night bottle of wine, she said its usual 10 but now 15 euro she not that happy, she working front line and that's the thanks she gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

kerryjack wrote: »
    Herself was out shopping and looking for her Friday night bottle of wine, she said its usual 10 but now 15 euro she not that happy, she working front line and that's the thanks she gets.

Well I'd take that up with he supermarket or shop around as MUP has not come in yet, as was posted not that long ago here.

Well I'd take that up with he supermarket or shop around as MUP has not come in yet, as was posted not that long ago here.
    Ya was thinking that I thing she is being a bit dramatic about it.

• Advertisement

I did a big shop order for Tesco a few days ago. They'd usually have a few cheapy 5 euro bottles. The cheapest I could find was 8, and the majority were 10-15+.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    Wine prices haven't gone up though?

wonga77 wrote: »
    Wine prices haven't gone up though?

Promotions have been reduced. No more buy 6 bottles and get 10-20% off.

Anecdotal evidence on my part, but when there would always be one or two for 5 euros, the cheapest I could find was about 8. This was Tesco, and maybe Tesco alone decided to increase(or remove a previous decrease) in price, but the effect in my big shop was an increase in price.

Been ages since I saw a bottle of wine for a fiver but then I don't live near a Tesco so wouldn't be in there too often. I've seen bottles of wine for 5 and 6 in lidl alright but that was ages ago.
    My brother lived in Madrid about 3 or 4 years ago. The exact same wine he could buy there for 4 euro is 14 here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My local centra often do a bottle of wine I like for about 8 euro on a half-price offer,. Every few weeks they put the price back up to 16 and after another week or so it gets reduced again. Makes you wonder...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Been ages since I saw a bottle of wine for a fiver but then I don't live near a Tesco so wouldn't be in there too often. I've seen bottles of wine for 5 and 6 in lidl alright but that was ages ago.
    My brother lived in Madrid about 3 or 4 years ago. The exact same wine he could buy there for 4 euro is 14 here

You can get good bottles in Spain for 1.50 sometimes, I often have, and it's not like their salaries are 5 or 6 times ours, even though they're considerably less.

You can get good bottles in Spain for 1.50 sometimes, I often have.

Oh I know, he said spending 4 was splashing out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I did a big shop order for Tesco a few days ago. They'd usually have a few cheapy 5 euro bottles. The cheapest I could find was 8, and the majority were 10-15+.

Tesco have wine for c. €3.90.
    I saw it out of the corner of my eye yesterday. I think it's been that price for a couple of years.
    I think it's Spanish both red and white versions.
    Not giving any opinion on quality, buy one and try it.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

no, the bundling offers have been banned as I said. the price increases i.e. MUP will come later.
    I'm completely aware of that.

But for craft-beer drinkers like myself who previously picked up their preferred tipple in the supermarket, the ban on multi-buy offers IS a price increase.

Lidl had a few wines at six for €20 in the run-up to Christmas (€3.33 each). Somehow I doubt we'll ever see the likes of that here again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Scotland introduced MUP a few years ago and I believe there were a number of EU investigations and court cases about it's validity before it was finally introduced.

And since then they’ve had absolutely huge numbers of drug deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,163 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

elperello wrote: »
    I saw it out of the corner of my eye yesterday. I think it's been that price for a couple of years.

at 3.90 practically all of the cost price is going to the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Pure piss as you can imagine. The FIL was told not to drink it anymore by his doctor. Turns my stomach after 1 sip.

Would imagine it is more sugar than grape in origin.

Quackster wrote: »
    I'm completely aware of that.

But for craft-beer drinkers like myself who previously picked up their preferred tipple in the supermarket, the ban on multi-buy offers IS a price increase.

Supermarkets will have to reduce soon to match the previous mutibuy prices or they will loose the craft beer market to places that have changed already.

Can't see it being an issue as they were selling the vast majority of it at the multibuy price anyway.

Mimon wrote: »
    Pure piss as you can imagine. The FIL was told not to drink it anymore by his doctor. Turns my stomach after 1 sip.
    Ya have to agree with you there like a glass of red with dinner weekends o a glass of chilled white but have to be fairly decent stuff. Some of that cheap stuff is like the washing up of the barrel you can nearly taste the detergent.

• Advertisement

Ya have to agree with you there like a glass of red with dinner weekends o a glass of chilled white but have to be fairly decent stuff. Some of that cheap stuff is like the washing up of the barrel you can nearly taste the detergent.

Meant to say this is the red. Maybe the white is ok :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We know , but sure your dying for it to come in.

I brought spanish wine that was a euro for litre in a carton from Czech Republic home for Christmas one year. A euro for litre of wine. My sister makes wine. Everyone agreed it tasted pretty good and its what we drank all over christmas.

When doing the aforementioned big shop there was nothing in the 3.90+ category. May simply have been my local shop. The cheapest was 8 euro.

And since then they’ve had absolutely huge numbers of drug deaths.

I dunno how the anti-alcohol crowd are ignoring this aspect.

I'd say I drink maybe a dozen cans a year. Not a big drinker at all. I live in a rough area, typical council estate, no shortage of scumbags, and I haven't seen the current generation of scum anywhere near alcohol. Far too expensive, when they have easy access to drugs for a pittance.

The only upside is less broken glass bottles around the place nowadays, but everyone's off their heads on something and the amount of people fighting/attacking each other and ambulance jobs from self-harm is much more prevalent than ever it was before.

I really can't see what the harm is in letting people buy what they want, alcohol-wise. No one benefits from price increases across the board. Alcoholics aren't going to go without - they'll just rob the money if they need it, and the people working jobs who enjoy a drink at the weekend or of an evening are now paying more for it, despite not contributing to the issues it creates.

This is going to backfire so spectacularly (and so obviously) that it's amazing to think it's still being pushed through with the usual with blinkers on, ignoring anyone that disagrees.

Mimon wrote: »
    Supermarkets will have to reduce soon to match the previous mutibuy prices or they will loose the craft beer market to places that have changed already.

Can't see it being an issue as they were selling the vast majority of it at the multibuy price anyway.
    Yeah. I haven't been in any of my local offies so far so don't know what they're doing. Alas, don't have an O'Brien's near me as it sounds like they've reduced unit prices to match previous multi-buy beer deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

The Aldi Liebfraumilch is lovely. Not too strong. Nice and fruity. €4.61

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

listermint wrote: »
    We know , but sure your dying for it to come in.
    Not really.
    At this stage in my life alcohol makes up a tiny proportion of the household budget, whether that be off license or pub (when they were open)
    So MUP is not going to have a big effect on me.
    But I also believe that it's a very blunt instrument to use to reduce alcohol consumption.

I'd prefer if they tackled the issues around the visibility of alcohol products first and give that time to work before going to MUP.
    Things like advertising, sponsorship etc should be curtailed and finally eliminated, like with smoking, before using the pricing options.
    And the pricing options should be excise based rather than MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,957 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I agree that minimum pricing will not stop those that have an issue. However if we look back at the way smoking was reduced it was something similar. 50 years ago a portion of the population smoked. It took 50 years of a combination of measures to reduce smoking to where it is now.

Yeah but tobacco kills half the people who use it. Alcohol is nothing like that. It's also a lot easier to homebrew than it is to grow tobacco!

See the way come has reduced there can size

They had to in fairness, it was taking the lads way too long to fill a can ;)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

In a polish shop here in galway there last week they had grand bottles of svyturys(lithuanian) beer and a few others for €1 a bottle. bbd 30 dec but they were grand not a bother, I suppose that'll be stopped now too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,957 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes but minimum pricing will have little effect on those that drink for nutritional benefit. Those that drink in moderation or not at all will see those that drink excessively pay more tax. This reduces the tax burden on moderate drinkers.

Whooooosh.

Minimum unit pricing is NOT a tax. The extra you pay goes straight into the pockets of the alcohol industry.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement