Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Simon Donnolly doesn't seem like the type of person that buys alcohol in a Supermarket abroad. It's the wine list on the menu without prices

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Shelflife wrote: »
    Theres nothing to stop a shop from selling the craft beer at €2.50 each .

Yes

Yeah blah blah blah.

The shops won't do that because they can blame he government rules.

Rules like these always mean the consumer is Shafted. It's on the government. Retail will do what retail does and covers it up under the new legislation.

Net result is increased prices for premium products as was always said would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I just don't know why no politician will speak out against this. If one of them was to say how ridiculous it all was and that we should be treated like adults, and that the public would overwhelmingly reject all of this, people would have the greatest respect for them.
    The whole thing is just bizarre, what is their agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,195 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Special offers arent banned but multibuy promotions which incentivises people to buy more alcohol is.

Eg You can no longer sell Lomza at €1.50 per single bottle and 4 for €5. but theres nothing to stop a business from selling the Lomza at €1.25.

Is there anything to stop them selling a 4 can multipack for €5?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

That doctor on Newstalk just recently couldn't answer a question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    Marcusm wrote: »
    Is there anything to stop them selling a 4 can multipack for €5?
    No. Hopefully we'll see a lot more craft-beer multipacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Right on queue good old Eunan McKinney

Alcohol Action Ireland is calling for "the immediate implementation of minimum pricing of alcohol products, which has been interminably delayed by government inertia".

Am no it hasn't

It's been delayed as the Northern Ireland Executive hasn't MUP and would result in plenty of trips over the border to buy alcohol

Why do these people get so much air time? Why must the government kowtow to whatever these muppets say?
    Argh.

The campaign has well and truly started

Listening to Newstalk on the way home and they had Jonathan Healy presenting

Straight into todays measures aren't enough when you can sell 24 cans for €24 euros even though he availed of all the alcohol deals himself before Christmas

Alcohol is too cheap over here according to Healy

Funny he didn't like it when it was pointed out that we have amongst the highest alcohol price in Europe

Ah but not as much as the Scandinavians says Healy

Yes but higher than the majority of the rest in the EU

Eunan McKinney and Co have an open goal with our media who never question him with regards to price as they want it increased themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

kerryjack wrote: »
    Bought 25 cans of bud in lidl for 15 euro before Christmas just finished up last can today
    jesus it was pure pisss

How old are you? How can any sentient being above the age of 18 NOT know that Bud is pure piss?
    They even hint at it in their TV ads: all those slow motion shots of horses galloping in the wild. Subliminal message: This beer tastes like horse piss.
    So now you know :)

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    Agreed.they need to STFU, if they can't then I'm sure they would find the UAE and similar countries more to their mindset.

Here's where they live!

Alcohol Action Ireland
    Coleraine House
    Coleraine Street
    Dublin

Write them a letter. Everybody. NB, not an email. Give them something to trip over in the morning!

My housemates would be big Prazsky drinkers used to buying the 4 pack (5 euro) or 8 pack (10 euro), does this mean they'll be paying the same price I pay for my 4 pack of Guinness. 4 pack of Guinness normally is 8 euro or 12/13 for the 8 pack.

If this means that I no longer get my "four for the price of three" bottles of my beloved Guiness West Indian Porter, I'll be pissed off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The campaign has well and truly started

Listening to Newstalk on the way home and they had Jonathan Healy presenting

Straight into todays measures aren't enough when you can sell 24 cans for €24 euros even though he availed of all the alcohol deals himself before Christmas

Alcohol is too cheap over here according to Healy

Funny he didn't like it when it was pointed out that we have amongst the highest alcohol price in Europe

Ah but not as much as the Scandinavians says Healy

Yes but higher than the majority of the rest in the EU

Eunan McKinney and Co have an open goal with our media who never question him with regards to price as they want it increased themselves

Everybody in the Dail has somebody directly or indirectly associated with the pub trade. Currently we have the highest prices for alcohol in Europe. When the Minimum pricing legislation is enforced, it will be double that again.
    It's all hyperbole. They don't give a monkeys about anybody's health.
    This is Fine Gaels stance in black and white.

pubs.jpg

Yeah craft beer sales will definitely take a hit

Some of my favourites were always on the 4 for €10 so €2.50 a bottle

Individual price now €2.80 so it's a 12% increase thanks to the government
    Theres nothing to stop a shop from selling the craft beer at €2.50 each .

Until minimum unit pricing comes in! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Been drinking since breakfast... **** the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

There’s a beautiful irony in the fact that Alcohol action Ireland is funded with our tax euros to the tune of approx €250k. Per year !

So our taxes are being used to lobby and do PR on behalf of us for something that most of us don’t want !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    There’s a beautiful irony in the fact that Alcohol action Ireland is funded with our tax euros to the tune of approx €250k. Per year !

So our taxes are being used to lobby and do PR on behalf of us for something that most of us don’t want !!

Why are this mob being given taxpayer money?

Do we not have a Dept of Health that speaks up on health related matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why are this mob being given taxpayer money?

Do we not have a Dept of Health that speaks up on health related matters?

HSE fund them.

They are a registered charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Not only have the killjoys taken away one of the few cost savers for the hard pressed customer, but they have forced supermarkets to install ridiculous and pointless swing doors to cordon off the drinks section. It seems that a new form of Puritanism is beginning to affect policy decisions, which should be based on reason, not on silly ideas like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I can't drink at the moment but when I can (and hopefully when we see the back of covid) I'll be going to France to fill up. Even if it costs the same or slightly more than it would have here, I'd do it just so as not to give the fúckers a cent.

• Advertisement

Everybody in the Dail has somebody directly or indirectly associated with the pub trade. Currently we have the highest prices for alcohol in Europe. When the Minimum pricing legislation is enforced, it will be double that again.
    It's all hyperbole. They don't give a monkeys about anybody's health.
    This is Fine Gaels stance in black and white.

pubs.jpg

Exactly

They could enact no below cost selling and it would still be cheaper than MUP so they're going even further than they were originally going

That Fine Gael proposal to save the pubs is now being dressed up as a public health measure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Here's where they live!

Alcohol Action Ireland
    Coleraine House
    Coleraine Street
    Dublin

Write them a letter. Everybody. NB, not an email. Give them something to trip over in the morning!

Money be better spent gofundme-ing all the stamp money together and buying them 1-way tickets off the planet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

HSE fund them.

They are a registered charity.
    So they take more money from the HSE than will be raised for the HSE by all these new measures, even the proposed ones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Exactly

They could enact no below cost selling and it would still be cheaper than MUP so they're going even further than they were originally going

That Fine Gael proposal to save the pubs is now being dressed up as a public health measure

I'll ask the question again.

If FG are so inclined to save the pubs why have they kept them shut for the best part of a year ?

We've heard plenty from the LVF and the VFI over the past months pleading to be allowed open again and about how pubs are safer than house parties etc yet the government (FG being a common denominator in both governments) have not budged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

[/b]
    I'll ask the question again.

If FG are so inclined to save the pubs why have they kept them shut for the best part of a year ?

We've heard plenty from the LVF and the VFI over the past months pleading to be allowed open again and about how pubs are safer than house parties etc yet the government (FG being a common denominator in both governments) have not budged.

Shows that they are taking a pandemic caused by a virus that spreads like wildfire in social settings seriously and have no choice but to close them.

Not sure what kind of answer you are looking for, it seems pretty obvious.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Exactly

Banning below cost selling might put the price of a super-discounted slab up a few quid (if even) and would mostly hit the cheapest spirits and wines in supermarkets; nothing else. Lidl are losing money on their 13 quid gin and 3.50 wine for instance.

That wouldn't satisfy the neo-prohibitionists enough; although it might shut the publicans up (briefly).

And who allowed below-cost selling of alcohol, which had been illegal for decades? Michael Martin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Once again, punish the many for the mistakes of the few. Now, this proposal is obviously nothing new as it was passed into law about 2 years ago. It originated as a way to tackle the below cost selling of alcohol to keep the pub trade in business as per the Fine Gael manifesto of 2011 which is referenced above. I've also provided a link to the original manifesto below.

Over the years, they changed the wording of it by imbuing it with a social justice message in the form of public health and safety.

COVID has acted as a distraction of sorts to rush these measures through alright. It was also introduced along with the no take-away pints rule resulting in many people thinking it is part of the same set of measures.

Either way, the consumer is being punished. I'm a firm believer or free market capitalism and alcohol should be no exception. Suffice to say, I certainly know who I won't be voting for in future elections. This is just one out of many examples of virtue signalling from the Dail.

http://michaelpidgeon.com/manifestos/docs/fg/Fine%20Gael%20GE%202011.pdf

Who can you vote for, they were all in favour of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Until minimum unit pricing comes in! :mad:

Won't affect craft beers. It is to target being able to get a can of piss lager for 70c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Who can you vote for, they were all in favour of this?

True, they all think it will be best for us to pay more for our drink.

The only voice raised against it was in the Senate where Prof Sean Barrett from Trinity pointed out the folly of gifting the extra we will pay to the drinks trade.

Being an economist he saw through the nonsense.

As to who to vote for, maybe pick an Independent with an outside chance and hope for he best.

Advertisement