Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The poll is over 4 years old.
    And the OP has not been active for almost 4 years.
    Give them a break.

He might be on the beer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

To be fair, the poll seems to see things the same way as AAI and the government.
    The introduction of mup does not only affect the people with problems.
    It seems to (initially) only make the sellers of alcohol wealthier, as I can't imagine Heineken for example, are going to raise their prices just for Irish imports. And as it isn't a tax, it means that they will be buying in the alcohol at the same prices, but have to sell it at a higher price.
    I can't think of any time the Government has succeeded in bending to the minority, and it will be interesting to see where the cheaper alcohol comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

All pubs in my village are all so called wet pubs, so no pub opened, as a young buck you could spend all sunday on the beer and call to 5 pubs but you won't even get a sandwich and that was a recipe for disaster. If you went to France every little pub does a bit of food some basic enough, I think every pub should have some bit of food to offer and we should make a connection between food and alcohol. Pizza, toasted sandwiches chips are all handy enough done but publicans are just too lazy to be arsed, its away easier to blame supermarkets and drink driving for there demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The poll is over 4 years old.
    And the OP has not been active for almost 4 years.
    Give them a break.

It was stupid 4 years ago and it's still stupid and limiting.
    It that lazy binary kind of thinking which really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    My housemates would be big Prazsky drinkers used to buying the 4 pack (5 euro) or 8 pack (10 euro), does this mean they'll be paying the same price I pay for my 4 pack of Guinness. 4 pack of Guinness normally is 8 euro or 12/13 for the 8 pack.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    My housemates would be big Prazsky drinkers used to buying the 4 pack (5 euro) or 8 pack (10 euro), does this mean they'll be paying the same price I pay for my 4 pack of Guinness. 4 pack of Guinness normally is 8 euro or 12/13 for the 8 pack.
    No, there is no sign of MUP being implemented. Multipacks are unaffected by tomorrow's changes (except for being unable to use supermarket vouchers or earn/redeem loyalty points).

You'll be reading about it in the media tomorrow morning once the embargo is lifted: No time-limited reduced price special promotions for Alcohol. No loyalty points earned for purchase of alcohol in supermarkets. Loyalty points earned for other groceries not redeemable on Alcohol. No bundling of alcohol with other products in promotions.
    Off-licenses will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Quackster wrote: »
    No, there is no sign of MUP being implemented. Multipacks are unaffected by tomorrow's changes (except for being unable to use supermarket vouchers or earn/redeem loyalty points).

Yes but it's ****ed up the 4 for ten or 3 for ten offers on craft beers in the likes of Tesco or o Briens. They are all now more expensive and individually priced. As expected this would increase the price of already expensive beers.

Fk whoever brought this in .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

listermint wrote: »
    Yes but it's ****ed up the 4 for ten or 3 for ten offers on craft beers in the likes of Tesco or o Briens. They are all now more expensive and individually priced. As expected this would increase the price of already expensive beers.

Totally agree here.
    The actions of MUP should be measurable and tangible - neither of which will be information available to us in the future. 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You don't have to look very far to find out who brought it in.

All of our political parties think it is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Speaking as a recovering alcoholic...I agree with all the posts criticising the new legislation. Obviously the politicians have been bullied into this by microgroups with no public support - the pleasure hating lobby. Making craft beers more expensive is just bizarre, alcoholics don't drink f.ucking craft beers. I know, I was one. In fact in 300+ AA and Lifering meetings I have attended both in real life and on Zoom, I've never once heard anyone talk about drinking craft beers. Not once.

If they banned alcohol sales in petrol stations, they'd be onto something. The legal sales times for alcohol sales should be extended, if anything. Making it illegal to sell alcohol after 10pm is ridiculous and there was no public demand for the legislation brought in in 2008. Though I no longer consume alcohol, I despise pleasure haters.

elperello wrote: »

Good to see they realise the dangers of alcohol. They won't mind closing the bar in the Dail, as there is no real valid reason for it. It's just a waste of taxpayers money and often leaves unpaid bills.
    It's a temptation that they don't need and shouldn't be in the workplace.

I have no problem with Dail bars but they should have to hand over their credit cards instead of getting credit.

How is it right that they can get drink on tick and us mere mortals can't use our vouchers to buy a few bottles of beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Based of ****e evidence and pushed into it by shady lobbyists from multiple quarters.

Where's all the posters in here who said premium beers wouldn't raise in price when confronted with that as being a consequence.

Didn't they tell us time and time again this was only to stop the sales of this phantom cheap bogey man beer.

Absolute shams.

I have no problem with Dail bars but they should have to hand over their credit cards instead of getting credit.

How is it right that they can get drink on tick and us mere mortals can't use our vouchers to buy a few bottles of beer?
    I was half joking when I wrote it, but I honestly don't see how they can claim to be so concerned with our drinking habits and drive up insanely high unpaid bills in only ONE bar.
    The TD's around my area are bar flies.

Suckit wrote: »
    I was half joking when I wrote it, but I honestly don't see how they can claim to be so concerned with our drinking habits and drive up insanely high unpaid bills in only ONE bar.
    The TD's around my area are bar flies.

Here's another good one, they actually have two bars. One is for members only where they don't have to mix with visitors.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/foi/frequently-requested-information/dail-bar-and-restaurant-information/

Based of ****e evidence and pushed into it by shady lobbyists from multiple quarters.

Where's all the posters in here who said premium beers wouldn't raise in price when confronted with that as being a consequence.

Didn't they tell us time and time again this was only to stop the sales of this phantom cheap bogey man beer.

Absolute shams.

You may be confusing MUP with the measures coming in tomorrow.

MUP will introduce a base price below which drink cannot be sold thus making cheaper drink more expensive.

From tomorrow special offers and vouchers will be banned which will potentially affect all drink.

Here's another good one, they actually have two bars. One is for members only where they don't have to mix with visitors.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/foi/frequently-requested-information/dail-bar-and-restaurant-information/
    Had heard that before (only releatively recently), but forgot, and was mainly meaning the bill. It is nuts though, They should just fill a Dail debit card at the start of each year, like one of the Dublin Gift cards or Dundrum SC etc.
    The stupid money they are on, how hard can it be to top up a card with a couple of weeks wages.

Anyway, gone a bit OT.
    The craft beers and import beers that will be increased in price or less affordable as a result of this is achieving nothing.
    This whole thing needs a big push back. Bending to small groups under the shite that it's for our health or to help the pubs, utter nonsense.

kerryjack wrote: »
    All pubs in my village are all so called wet pubs, so no pub opened, as a young buck you could spend all sunday on the beer and call to 5 pubs but you won't even get a sandwich and that was a recipe for disaster. If you went to France every little pub does a bit of food some basic enough, I think every pub should have some bit of food to offer and we should make a connection between food and alcohol. Pizza, toasted sandwiches chips are all handy enough done but publicans are just too lazy to be arsed, its away easier to blame supermarkets and drink driving for there demise.

When the first lockdown was lifted I went to Blackrock for a walk and some shopping, on the way home there was a sign in a pub window, "Substantial meal of cocktail sausages and chips", and I thought that and a pint would hit the spot nicely. I went in, stood at the bar and got ignored by the barman for a few minutes. Eventually caught his attention and told him my order....

Him: It's 10 to 9, we're closing at 9.
    Me: But under the new restrictions you're allowed open til 11.
    Him: But the kitchen closes at 9 and I can't stay open if the kitchen is closed.

I remember thinking, "He's been forced to close for weeks, he's now allowed open, would he not ask the chef to give him a crash course in how to work the deep fat fryer, or pay the chef to stay a little longer?". Yet another example of either laziness or lack of imagination in a barman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

You may be confusing MUP with the measures coming in tomorrow.

MUP will introduce a base price below which drink cannot be sold thus making cheaper drink more expensive.

From tomorrow special offers and vouchers will be banned which will potentially affect all drink.

Special offers arent banned but multibuy promotions which incentivises people to buy more alcohol is.

Eg You can no longer sell Lomza at €1.50 per single bottle and 4 for €5. but theres nothing to stop a business from selling the Lomza at €1.25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Most cans these days are sold in mutlipacks anyway, so at least not much change there, apart from the craft 440ml cans which are ridiculous prices anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Shelflife wrote: »
    Special offers arent banned but multibuy promotions which incentivises people to buy more alcohol is.

Eg You can no longer sell Lomza at €1.50 per single bottle and 4 for €5. but theres nothing to stop a business from selling the Lomza at €1.25.

I assume shops will just sell multipacks going forward of 8, 12, 24. Easier to manage the price.

"Craft beers" with the 4 for €10 mix and match will be gone as prices of a individual are all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

This is the type of nonsense you're up against

This is Stephen Donnolly

"These regulations will ensure that price promotions which result in the sale of alcohol products at pocket money prices cannot continue."

I'd love to know his definition of pocket money prices

He'd be shocked at the lower prices in other countries

In 2018 we had the 2nd highest consumer price level for alcohol in Europe

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/products-eurostat-news/-/DDN-20190906-1

Of course all this will do is make alcohol more expensive for everybody in society

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    I assume shops will just sell multipacks going forward of 8, 12, 24. Easier to manage the price.

"Craft beers" with the 4 for €10 mix and match will be gone as prices of a individual are all over the place

Yeah craft beer sales will definitely take a hit

Some of my favourites were always on the 4 for €10 so €2.50 a bottle

Individual price now €2.80 so it's a 12% increase thanks to the government

• Registered Users Posts: 81,242 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So for example if today Tesco wanted to sell 1 can of Guinness for €2 and sell 24 of those same cans for €24 that would be illegal but they could sell a specifically packaged 24 pack for €24 that would be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

KrustyUCC wrote: »

At least lidl and aldi crafts will stay the same price, they have some good ones these days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Theres nothing to stop a shop from selling the craft beer at €2.50 each .

So for example if today Tesco wanted to sell 1 can of Guinness for €2 and sell 24 of those same cans for €24 that would be illegal but they could sell a specifically packaged 24 pack for €24 that would be ok?

Yes

At least lidl and aldi crafts will stay the same price, they have some good ones these days too.

Yeah that's true for the moment

I'm a big fan of the Lidl Crafty Brewing IPA

I can see the pressure to introduce MUP without Northern Ireland mounting now these latest restrictions are in force

This is the type of nonsense you're up against

This is Stephen Donnolly

"These regulations will ensure that price promotions which result in the sale of alcohol products at pocket money prices cannot continue."

I'd love to know his definition of pocket money prices

He'd be shocked at the lower prices in other countries

In 2018 we had the 2nd highest consumer price level for alcohol in Europe

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/products-eurostat-news/-/DDN-20190906-1

Of course all this will do is make alcohol more expensive for everybody in society

Pocket money prices. Give me a f**king break.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's a great sound bite

Obviously he has so much money any increase won't bother him

Advertisement