Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

tuxy wrote: »
    Which broker?

Frank Glennon - but as said, a renewal. Car in my family since new

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

That’s why... once your car is old ya have to stay with same crowd or you’ll be fleeced

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

jmreire wrote: »
    Back in 2014, I bought a 2003 A6, fully NCT'd etc. The insurance then ( 2014 ) was €320. Which was average then and Ok. Roll on 2015, and new quote arrived, for €1175.00. When I asked "WHY"? I was told that the increase was based on the fact that I only had 1 year's experience with this car, and that previous driving insurance history did not count. Basically, they were treating me as a new driver...despite having 30+ NCB, and experience in driving many different make's of car.
    2015 will be remembered as the year that the great insurance rip-off began.
    Aided and abetted by a Govt, that sat on it's hands and did nothing to stop the insurance gouging.

F*cking hell :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jmreire

Which raises another point. Like you, my friend has a 1995 Toyota Corolla 1.3 Petrol, and has about 350'000 miles on it... car was always serviced on time, and never abused in terms of driving. It is running like a swiss clock...and has many more miles left in it. It failed it's last NCT because the headlight's were out of focus. After adjustment, passed with flying colours. Now the point I am trying to make is, why the hell are we being stampeded into changing car's so often, when obviously there is still lots of life in them? Who is pushing this agenda? Govt? ( VAT on sale's?) Banks, Credit Institutions? ( Profit's? ) Because it exists only in Ireland, as far as I know...I have never seen it in other Country's that I have been in, and i have been in quite a few. I drive 10 year old car myself, with 225'000 Klms on it, and it should be good for at least another 100'000 Klms, but once it passes to 12/13 year old mark, will I have to buy something more "Insurance /Government" friendly? And by the same token,will it mean that my car will be effectively worthless, or at the least, worth only a few hundred.And so, back to the Bank...and more debt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's no conspiracy or anything J, more people buying new cars means more tax revenue, more money going through banks and it makes the economy look more confident and healthier, so the vested interests in finance and government will be only to happy to facilitate this, even promote this consumer churn in cars and not just cars.* It's a huge part of modern western economies.

*while having the hard neck to go on about "green" issues.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Which raises another point. Like you, my friend has a 1995 Toyota Corolla 1.3 Petrol, and has about 350'000 miles on it... car was always serviced on time, and never abused in terms of driving. It is running like a swiss clock...and has many more miles left in it. It failed it's last NCT because the headlight's were out of focus. After adjustment, passed with flying colours. Now the point I am trying to make is, why the hell are we being stampeded into changing car's so often, when obviously there is still lots of life in them? Who is pushing this agenda? Govt? ( VAT on sale's?) Banks, Credit Institutions? ( Profit's? ) Because it exists only in Ireland, as far as I know...I have never seen it in other Country's that I have been in, and i have been in quite a few. I drive 10 year old car myself, with 225'000 Klms on it, and it should be good for at least another 100'000 Klms, but once it passes to 12/13 year old mark, will I have to buy something more "Insurance /Government" friendly? And by the same token,will it mean that my car will be effectively worthless, or at the least, worth only a few hundred.And so, back to the Bank...and more debt.

It’s a disgrace. Why should people have to change perfectly good cars. My Corolla just passed 100,000 miles (I do about 3,000 per year and my Dad was retired when he bought it in ‘99) so good for another while yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It’s a disgrace. Why should people have to change perfectly good cars. My Corolla just passed 100,000 miles (I do about 3,000 per year and my Dad was retired when he bought it in ‘99) so good for another while yet....

Very nice, that's very low milage for the year. Still loads of them on the road but most will have 150k miles on the clock at least.
    I have a 97 starlet with 175k on the clock and some parts are just starting to give trouble now. Not the engine though, that's bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

You're right, he said it was a renewal.
    I guess it doesn't matter which broker it was since no new customers will be getting a deal like that from them

What kind of protest and how many thousands of people would we need before there is a chance of making a difference?

Start by writing letters to ur local TD.

Ya I agree it with u, the amount of new cars on the roads nowadays is mad.

Is it true batteries in new cars are not made to last like they used to. I just had to replace the battery this year in my 00 Yaris but was told it won’t be as good as the original.

• Advertisement

LillySV wrote: »
    That’s why... once your car is old ya have to stay with same crowd or you’ll be fleeced

Lilly. you are going to be fleeced anyway......its what they do !!!:mad:

fin12 wrote: »
    Is it true batteries in new cars are not made to last like they used to. I just had to replace the battery this year in my 00 Yaris but was told it won’t be as good as the original.

That was the belief one time.....and indeed, I have heard of original batteries lasting 6 and 7 years before needing replacement.Most new batteries now will come with a guarantee, generally the more expensive the battery, the longer the guarantee. But the life of a battery will depend on it's operating condition's, and that will vary from car to car, driver to driver. Bear in mind also that the electric's ( alternator etc) may deteriorated in an older car. They say the same thing about the original tyres being better than their replacements, but the fact is, by the time the tyres need replacing, after 20,30 or 40'000 klms, the suspensions and steering will have wear and tear too.

There's probably a much larger selection of batteries now. Including some cheaper low qualities ones.

You're right, he said it was a renewal.
    I guess it doesn't matter which broker it was since no new customers will be getting a deal like that from them

What kind of protest and how many thousands of people would we need before there is a chance of making a difference?
    It would need to be nearly on the same scale as the water protest,,,100'000 marching on Dail Eireann. The problem is that while the common denominator with the water protests, was everyone was going to be hit, basically at the same time, but with insurance, its staggered, Say everyone's motor insurance fell due in January. then you would have enough people to create a critical mass, enough to trigger protests, But as it is,when each motorist gets his quote, he suffer's alone,,,,except for venting on boards.:( Make it an election issue, either change the system of no vote !!! )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair on the other side of things, I've noticed some nuance coming into it in the last few years. I drive a 22 year old car and an Integra Type R(AKA Honda Babyeater Insurance Risk 2000 ) and after a few years of insane premiums that rose rapidly from around 6-700 quid in the mid noughties up to around 2000 quid around 2014-18(they were the ones who wanted my biz, I got quotes past 4k from the ones who didn't), prices have been steadily dropping for me and this years dropped a 100 quid from last years down to now just over 700. They told me my age, NCB, no points, low mileage and long years of ownership make a big difference, whereas even five years ago that seemed to mean feck all. It was more of a general yay or nay approach, or they were pushing for a newer car and adding it as a "classic". Even then the prices were nuts. I actually don't mind high costs when they're logical and justified. I get that. It's when they appear and often are arbitrary and daft, then...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    To be fair on the other side of things, I've noticed some nuance coming into it in the last few years. I drive a 22 year old car and an Integra Type R(AKA Honda Babyeater Insurance Risk 2000 ) and after a few years of insane premiums that rose rapidly from around 6-700 quid in the mid noughties up to around 2000 quid around 2014-18(they were the ones who wanted my biz, I got quotes past 4k from the ones who didn't), prices have been steadily dropping for me and this years dropped a 100 quid from last years down to now just over 700. They told me my age, NCB, no points, low mileage and long years of ownership make a big difference, whereas even five years ago that seemed to mean feck all. It was more of a general yay or nay approach, or they were pushing for a newer car and adding it as a "classic". Even then the prices were nuts. I actually don't mind high costs when they're logical and justified. I get that. It's when they appear and often are arbitrary and daft, then...

By right Wibb's, that's how insurance should work....measure the risk, then quote a premium based on that. What happened me was out and out bare faced legalised banditry... 30 yrs + NCB .. No claims ever.and always driving standard family-type cars, never more than 2.0 Ltr, and then I bought the 2nd car...1.9 TDI Audi, in 2015, first Insurance €350, Fine, Next year 2016, insurance,€1175,00, and the justification for such a rise? Quote" Because you have only one years experience driving that car" UnQuote But 2015 was the year that the scalping began...and they began a making up for any losses suffered in previous years...big time!!! It just seemed that they could use any flimsy excuse to gouge.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Whats the story with say for example? im insured on a 09 Corrolla and for whatever reason its sold and replaced with a 05 Passat mid policy with the likes of Aviva or any of the insurance companies that refuse cover on older vehicles...will they allow that and what about renewal, do they refuse to quote or just quadruple the existing quote?

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Whats the story with say for example? im insured on a 09 Corrolla and for whatever reason its sold and replaced with a 05 Passat mid policy with the likes of Aviva or any of the insurance companies that refuse cover on older vehicles...will they allow that and what about renewal, do they refuse to quote or just quadruple the existing quote?

I don't know, but for sure, I'd check before I'd make the move... :cool:

I think with the general election coming up, if everyone here when the TDS start calling around to houses campaigning we should really bring this up to them. I am going to anyway.

I think insurance should be a major election issue in this country and not just motor insurance.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    I think with the general election coming up, if everyone here when the TDS start calling around to houses campaigning we should really bring this up to them. I am going to anyway.

That's the way to go, make it an ultimatum, either the insurance rip-off is stopped, or no vote. And don't listen to bulls**t about reports and committee's "Examining" the problem. They've had years to get this issue fixed. If the law need's changing, then change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I don't know, but for sure, I'd check before I'd make the move... :cool:

you will likely not have an issue - if you transfer to the older car mid-policy, renewal is an automated process: they're not going to 're-vet' the proposal at that stage.

That's my experience anyway.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    you will likely not have an issue - if you transfer to the older car mid-policy, renewal is an automated process: they're not going to 're-vet' the proposal at that stage.

That's my experience anyway.

I hope that you are right galwaytt. But for sure, I'd check before buying..I have heard too many stories ( and from broker's !!! ) " Well we might have problem insuring a car of that age " to take a chance. As Wibbs pointed out, there has been a "softening" in pricing recently....Thats a move in the right direction, but it need to move more....lots more, and much faster. The whole insurance rip offthat is shutting down the Country...and ALL aspects of it, Legal ( especially ) Medical, Scammer's / Fraudsters and last but not least, the gouging Insurance company's themselves. Need investigation and regulation, even if that means changing the laws, because for sure the Insurance will not change by them selves :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hurl_lad

21yr old two years ncb clean license looking to get insured on a diesel e46 any ideas ?

Hurl_lad wrote: »
    21yr old two years ncb clean license looking to get insured on a diesel e46 any ideas ?

Sorry, I've passed the 21 year milestone many years ago, so I've no idea. But even if my knowledge is not up to date.....if I was in your shoes, I would be inclined to pick some other make and model than a BMW E46 ( lovely car BTW ) I'd be very interested in how you get on...one of the grand kids is coming up to licence age now, and soon the car and insurance issue, will appear.
    Good luck with it.

Liberty, AXA, An Post(maybe?) they are underwritten by Aviva who I do not think will insure you but I've seen one or two post about getting a policy with them.

That's all that comes to mind right now for companies that may be taking new policies on old cars.

• Site Banned Posts: 38 Premeditated Joke

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    I was with 123.ie (RSA), but whet with Bank of Ireland got alot cheaper quote turned out its with RSA as well.
    So RSA, 123 & BOI are all the same???!!

Its one thing establishing a link between inexperienced drivers and powerful cars, its quite another to penalise honest drivers because fraudsters choose cheaper cars to minimise their outlay.

Its the fraud that needs to be dealt with, not the cars.

Its simply the lazy option to target the car.
    Do you mean to say that criminals are more likely to insure an old car that they've stolen?

And how come that's not an issue in the states for example? Or is it?

Wibbs wrote: »
    They told me my age, NCB, no points, low mileage and long years of ownership make a big difference.
    How does that make you less likely to have a crash? Is long years of ownership ever even considered to be less risky by other insurers? I'd say they realised you paid your penance and decided to give you a break, and used that as their excuse for dropping the price.

• Advertisement

Make it an election issue, either change the system of no vote !!! )
    Are there any other TDs out there that are tackling this issue? The only one I'm aware of is a Shinner!!

Advertisement