Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I drive a nissan almera 00, my insurance third party fire& theft is €845 per year.is this a reasonable price or am I being ripped off ?

Not much info, if your 17 and just passed your test that's a very good quote.
    my quote for my 98 Astra last year was €450 but i have been with bank of ireland insurance a good while, properly cant go anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Not much info, if your 17 and just passed your test that's a very good quote.
    my quote for my 98 Astra last year was €450 but i have been with bank of ireland insurance a good while, properly cant go anywhere else.

I'm 44yo full clean licence,have no claims.I just feel I'm being ripped off

Definitely not cheap with your driving record, age of car a problem but still ring around , go back a few posts some people still got quotes with a old car,not sure if it was AXA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I drive a nissan almera 00, my insurance third party fire& theft is €845 per year.is this a reasonable price or am I being ripped off ?

Engine size also matters for this vintage....ringing around is the only way to know if you can do better elsewhere but choices will be very limited.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭jmreire

In any other Country that I have been to, the age of the car has not been a problem for Insurance..once it has it's technical road worthiness certification, that's it. They are much more interested in the driver's detail's, age,experience claims free status etc. Only in Ireland,we have this kind of set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Of course its a rip off, 4 years ago your quote at the same age would have been around €3-400. We are all been ripped off for the most part ffs

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Of course its a rip off, 4 years ago your quote at the same age would have been around €3-400. We are all been ripped off for the most part ffs

And the worst part is the nr of posts where people say, I was lucky this year...I got it for less than €800..... So slightly under or over the €800 mark is the new " Normal" ?????....... we have been conditioned to feel grateful for paying exorbitant rip off prices for motor insurance in this country.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Your being ripped off, I have a 00 Yaris and have comprehensive for €650 with Aviva.

fin12 wrote: »
    Your being ripped off, I have a 00 Yaris and have comprehensive for €650 with Aviva.

Are you a new customer or long term?

Are you a new customer or long term?

No just moved to Aviva this year. Liberty gave me a really **** quote this year so I moved.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    No just moved to Aviva this year. Liberty gave me a really **** quote this year so I moved.

Was that quote over the phone, because i tried with my 98 Astra last year wouldn't quote because of age unless things have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

And to think that Alan Shatter was turned out of office for trying to take on the legal profession for their part in the compo culture!

Read the detail, not the headline

I have read all of the detail, so go on "eggs for dinner"...after reading that article what is your argument defending the insurance industry that you happen to work in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

Read the detail, not the headline

I've read the whole article. What's the point you are making?

Was that quote over the phone, because i tried with my 98 Astra last year wouldn't quote because of age unless things have changed.

Ya it was over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

My brief discussion with a Barrister, if i'm wrong i'm wrong, no problem.

https://twitter.com/CorkTruckDriver/status/1206572626463854595

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Is this still a thing? I mean what can one expect when buying say an 05 golf with decades of ncb and experience being a 40years old foreigner? I guess the latter would still drive the premium up? And what's the story with this 15years old or older cars cut off? I mean what's the mechanical difference between an 05 Audi and an 07 Skoda, they both rolled down from the same factory line?

Greyfoot wrote: »
    Is this still a thing? I mean what can one expect when buying say an 05 golf with decades of ncb and experience being a 40years old foreigner? I guess the latter would still drive the premium up? And what's the story with this 15years old or older cars cut off? I mean what's the mechanical difference between an 05 Audi and an 07 Skoda, they both rolled down from the same factory line?

Ireland is the only Country that I know of that has an age cut off point for Insurance....and in the past that was based on fraudsters buying and insuring old cars in "Crash for Cash" scheme's. They would buy and insure the car today, and have a staged crash shortly after.
    But why should that still apply today, for drivers with a long and unblemished driving history? Once the car has a valid NCT, that should be all that is required. Instead we have another reason for insurance companies to jack up the price, more gouging, plus funnelling people into changing their cars more often...and more debt.
    As a justification, they roll out the story that newer cars have more safety features, and so they have, but that does not mean that they are twice as safe as car's built 15-20 years ago. Air bags which reduce impact injuries are not new, they have been around a long time, first introduced in the 1970's. Ditto, power assisted brakes and steering, also widely available even in 40 year old cars.
    All a price gouging racket.

• Advertisement

jmreire wrote: »
    Ireland is the only Country that I know of that has an age cut off point for Insurance....and in the past that was based on fraudsters buying and insuring old cars in "Crash for Cash" scheme's. They would buy and insure the car today, and have a staged crash shortly after.
    But why should that still apply today, for drivers with a long and unblemished driving history? Once the car has a valid NCT, that should be all that is required. Instead we have another reason for insurance companies to jack up the price, more gouging, plus funnelling people into changing their cars more often...and more debt.
    As a justification, they roll out the story that newer cars have more safety features, and so they have, but that does not mean that they are twice as safe as car's built 15-20 years ago. Air bags which reduce impact injuries are not new, they have been around a long time, first introduced in the 1970's. Ditto, power assisted brakes and steering, also widely available even in 40 year old cars.
    All a price gouging racket.

Im with axa last two years with a 03 Audi, Full no claims mid 30's but have 3 points for speeding two years ago. Renewal las week for TPFT €1090 and when I negotiated they spun me some waffle that they stand by their quotes as they offer the best product in the market bla bla bla but we see if we can do something, comes back and says they will knock off the €90.

So they want €1000 for a 03 Audi. They can f*ck off. Im doing without a car as im not buying a newer car or paying them 1k for TPFT insurance just because I choose to drive an older but perfectly roadworthy vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

€585 for renewal of comprehensive policy - 21 year old Corolla. Allianz.

€585 for renewal of comprehensive policy - 21 year old Corolla. Allianz.

Broker or direct? your age, points, no claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Broker, 47, 0 points, 11 years no claims bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Broker, 47, 0 points, 11 years no claims bonus

Which broker?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

tuxy wrote: »
    Which broker?

I’d be very surprised that’s a new policy.I work for allianz and they won’t insure my own personal car that’s a 00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Well we should all be protesting to the govt about this... if insurance companies are using the age as an excuse, that means they’re not recognizing the nct as proof car is safe on road , therefore the nct is pointless and people are being forced to waste their money on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Tom1991 wrote: »
    I’d be very surprised that’s a new policy.I work for allianz and they won’t insure my own personal car that’s a 00.

You're right, he said it was a renewal.
    I guess it doesn't matter which broker it was since no new customers will be getting a deal like that from them
    LillySV wrote: »
    Well we should all be protesting to the govt about this...
    What kind of protest and how many thousands of people would we need before there is a chance of making a difference?

Yes, it seems that if you have owned the car and been insured with it continuously, you can get insurance OK ( but not with every insurance company either) which only proves that while they claim that safety issues are the reason for refusing quotes, they make exceptions. But if I bought that car from you, I doubt that I ( or any one else either ) would be able to insure it....no matter how many NCB years or experience I have.
    Completely rotten system.

• Advertisement

Im with axa last two years with a 03 Audi, Full no claims mid 30's but have 3 points for speeding two years ago. Renewal las week for TPFT €1090 and when I negotiated they spun me some waffle that they stand by their quotes as they offer the best product in the market bla bla bla but we see if we can do something, comes back and says they will knock off the €90.

So they want €1000 for a 03 Audi. They can f*ck off. Im doing without a car as im not buying a newer car or paying them 1k for TPFT insurance just because I choose to drive an older but perfectly roadworthy vehicle.

Back in 2014, I bought a 2003 A6, fully NCT'd etc. The insurance then ( 2014 ) was €320. Which was average then and Ok. Roll on 2015, and new quote arrived, for €1175.00. When I asked "WHY"? I was told that the increase was based on the fact that I only had 1 year's experience with this car, and that previous driving insurance history did not count. Basically, they were treating me as a new driver...despite having 30+ NCB, and experience in driving many different make's of car.
    2015 will be remembered as the year that the great insurance rip-off began.
    Aided and abetted by a Govt, that sat on it's hands and did nothing to stop the insurance gouging.

Advertisement