Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

How does that make you less likely to have a crash? Is long years of ownership ever even considered to be less risky by other insurers? I'd say they realised you paid your penance and decided to give you a break, and used that as their excuse for dropping the price.

Some people buy older cars in order to stage accidents. Long ownership of an older car helps an insurer exclude you from that profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

jmreire wrote: »
    Sorry, I've passed the 21 year milestone many years ago, so I've no idea. But even if my knowledge is not up to date.....if I was in your shoes, I would be inclined to pick some other make and model than a BMW E46 ( lovely car BTW ) I'd be very interested in how you get on...one of the grand kids is coming up to licence age now, and soon the car and insurance issue, will appear.
    Good luck with it.

There is a scale insurance companies use for car models and the E46 would be on a higher band for premium
    If he could park it up for a few years and build up his ncb on a smaller cc car it would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

€585 for renewal of comprehensive policy - 21 year old Corolla. Allianz.

I checked for mine today on Allianz website but nothing over 15 years for new policies.

Anyone know anywhere taking new policies for below.

My details:
    • 1 litre
    • Toyota Yaris (5dr)
    • 2 years NCB with Liberty
    • 4 years Named Driving experience with 123.ie/Chill
    • Licence held: 4 years
    • Area kept overnight: Private property in Kildare
    • Annual mileage: <5000
    • Car value: €400
    • Penalty points: 0 (for named drivers)
    • Named Drivers: Parents, over 10 years with licence

My quotes (€):
    1. Renewal (Liberty): 900
    2. AXA: 790
    3. Campion: No quote: too old (phonecall)
    4. 25plus.ie : No quote: unknown (online)
    5. Allianze : No quote: too old (online)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Would be nice if we could get a sticky of companies taking new policies on old cars.
    I know the list will be short but it would be very useful.

Axa and Liberty are the only ones I'm fairly sure on.

tuxy wrote: »
    Would be nice if we could get a sticky of companies taking new policies on old cars.
    I know the list will be short but it would be very useful.

Axa and Liberty are the only ones I'm fairly sure on.

Yes, add AA & Aviva - I've got quotes back on them, in full:

My quotes (€):
    1. Renewal (Liberty): 900
    2. AXA: 790
    3. Aviva: 716
    4. AA: 848.57
    5. Campion: No quote: too old (phonecall)
    6. 25plus.ie : No quote: unknown (online)
    7. Allianz : No quote: too old (online)

• Advertisement

AA is always the one I forgot. My renewal is in one month, I'll be sure to call them this time.

AA is always the one I forgot. My renewal is in one month, I'll be sure to call them this time.

AA can't combine 2 years own & 4 years named experience, so have revised up to €848.57. :mad:

Aviva lowest now for me at €716.66, which is at 2 years experience. :)

Anyone else know of any good companies?

I wonder if situation with virus will reduce policy costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

FionnK86 wrote: »
    AA can't combine 2 years own & 4 years named experience, so have revised up to €848.57. :mad:

Aviva lowest now for me at €716.66, which is at 2 years experience. :)

Anyone else know of any good companies?

I wonder if situation with virus will reduce policy costs.

Did you try AXA? Remember, cheapest is not necessarily best.

Doubt the costs will come down as a result of the virus, petrol and diesel already have. What we will see before the year is out though is increases in fuel and motor tax to make up the shortfall in the government coffers

Did you try AXA? Remember, cheapest is not necessarily best.

Doubt the costs will come down as a result of the virus, petrol and diesel already have. What we will see before the year is out though is increases in fuel and motor tax to make up the shortfall in the government coffers

Yes, refer to above post #757, AXA: 790.

I'll be 26 tomorrow, so I'll see if that change of a day impacts premium at all & if so, post results.

The drop of 10% each year with AA seems promising, but they'll probably increase Base Premiums next year to cover losses.

Some good citizen working from home might be able to spreadsheet together a calculator but I doubt I'll be able too. :p

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Yes, refer to above post #757, AXA: 790.

I'll be 26 tomorrow, so I'll see if that change of a day impacts premium at all & if so, post results.

The drop of 10% each year with AA seems promising, but they'll probably increase Base Premiums next year to cover losses.

Some good citizen working from home might be able to spreadsheet together a calculator but I doubt I'll be able too. :p

I’m on the mobile, posts not numbered. The extra year might help you, then again it’s a lottery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Today's spend:

53, full licence, 0 points, full NCB, +52 SO, full licence, 3 points, full NCB

2003 Porsche 996 Cabrio - Full Comp, incl DOV & Business Use, Agreed value of €31k
    2001 Audi TT Coupé - Full Comp, incl DOV & Business Use, Agreed value of €4.5k
    Total € 905

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I’m on the mobile, posts not numbered. The extra year might help you, then again it’s a lottery

No bother.

One thing that irks me about ringing around.

When I ring brokers, 3 of the agents for different companies said 'oh you won't get better than your offer of €900 renewal from Liberty, so we won't quote'.

These are brokers with Aviva/AA/AXA on their websites, all of whom I've found cheaper quotes with.

They shouldn't pass comment on whether you'd get a better quote, it's misinformation. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Who do people use for pre 2000 cars that they want to daily drive no a normal policy not a classic policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Who do people use for pre 2000 cars that they want to daily drive no a normal policy not a classic policy?

Allianz for my 1999 car but I have been with them for years so they will renew but I don't know if they will take on new customers.

Just got my renewal quote with axa for for 97 starlet. I'm 37 with full no claims bonus.
    €687 compared to €740 last year.
    I'll ring Liberty and AA and see if they can do better but my guess is they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just got my renewal quote with axa for for 97 starlet. I'm 37 with full no claims bonus.
    €687 compared to €740 last year.
    I'll ring Liberty and AA and see if they can do better but my guess is they can't.
    Will you even get a quote from them with a 97, if you do keep as posted.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Will you even get a quote from them with a 97, if you do keep as posted.

They were the only two companies I know of others have had success with on cars of that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Renewed today with AXA for 530 on a 93 mazda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

New customer?

Is that the same one that you had taken from you a few years ago? Glad to see you got it back/still have it.

• Advertisement

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    New customer?

Renewed

I think I will have to take the renewal quote from AXA, AA are not taking new customers until things return to normal and it's impossible to get through to liberty on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Is that the same one that you had taken from you a few years ago? Glad to see you got it back/still have it.

Haha yeah same one. Was just about to bite the bullet on a new Korean **** box before the virus hit.

That mazda will be the death of me. Stolen 3 times and broken into twice. Have managed to keep her going but the break ins took their toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Got renewal quote from Aviva for 00 Yaris, 6 years no claims bonus, €710.

Will be hoping to get it lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Just after calling liberty and they no longer offer new policies for cars over 20 years old.

Do axa still offer new policies on cars over 20 years old?

Does any company?

A few weeks ago I was looking for quotes on a 1995 car (new policy) and Munster group insurance got me a quote. They could be worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

A few weeks ago I was looking for quotes on a 1995 car (new policy) and Munster group insurance got me a quote. They could be worth a try.

That's a broker isn't it?
    Who was the underwriter on your policy?

Yes they are a broker, I have no idea who the underwriter was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Yes they are a broker, I have no idea who the underwriter was.

It will be stated on your insurance certificate as this cannot be a broker.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Never went ahead with the car purchase so don't have an insurance certificate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/motor-insurers-to-offer-rebates-to-customers-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-39154607.html

Anyone know anything about this, said motor insurers to offer rebates to customers.

My renewal quote is up a €100 last year, can I bring up the Coronavirus, why my insurance should be reduced?

Advertisement