Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Championship

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Strange alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Is that what that was?

Yeah, lol

You'll hear people giving out about how he doesn't respect the competition or take it seriously now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

How does Selby get slagged about being boring, and not an entertaining player. I enjoy him. And he is just excellent...

Its not like hes Peter Ebdon, I think he actually played slower on purpose, to annoy his opponent, definitely did it against Osullivan a good few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sfmcar

Akrasia wrote:
    That's your opinion. He's excellent at the game of snooker, which is just as much about blocking your opponent as it is about potting balls.

No doubting he is an excellent player, especially tactically but my god he is painful to watch.
    Is Selby Peter ebdon in disguise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

sfmcar wrote: »
    No doubting he is an excellent player, especially tactically but my god he is painful to watch.
    Is Selby Peter ebdon in disguise?

No. Hes not. Ridiculous comparison.
    Selby is one of the best players to play the game, love watching him.

O and did anyone think some of the fans were complete muppets, shouting silly things all evening, especially at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

enzo roco wrote: »

O and did anyone think some of the fans were complete muppets, shouting silly things all evening, especially at the end.

Completely agree with you. Really bring down the atmosphere with the shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Gutted for Ronnie, but Selby is my second fave ever so happy for him, his game changed and evolved so much since his starts as well as his belief in himself so he does deserve it.

Still wish Ronnie to lift few more trophies though and hope he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sfmcar

enzo roco wrote:
    No. Hes not. Ridiculous comparison. Selby is one of the best players to play the game, love watching him.

I genuinely can't understand how his style of play is appealing to you

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Few funny moments at the end:

Ronnie getting a plug in for Eurosport live on the BBC,

Ronnie having a go at the ref in the interview afterwards on Eurosport, and

Selby mentioning the BBC in his interview on Eurosport!

What did he say about the ref?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Interesting and open discussion about the tour. Barry 'earn upfront about it. If you've not good enough far down the rankings get another job. No money for the first round losers.

Good debate alright, albeit Bazza comes across as an arrogant twat though that's part of his intended image I guess.

Some faintly ridiculous comparisons to golf though and the fact that you get no money if you don't make the cut. Its clearly different as you don't have to beat Rory or Stenson to make the cut, whereas apparently some lowly ranked player drew Selby, Ronnie, Williams and Murphy in his first 4 tournaments so was basically dead money.
    Lots of reasonable ideas put forward - that the first round should only involve the lower ranked players or that there should be some small token prizemoney for losers in the L128 round. But Bazza not for moving - "We don't support mediocrity".

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

I thought it was a great final last night. 3 breaks over 130 in quick succession was fantastic. I'm not a Ronnie fan but I was impressed with him last night, how he came back and his graciousness at the finish. Normally he drops in something about retiring and being sick of snooker, Dr. Steve Peters, etc. but last night he didn't.

Selby might not be as 'exciting' to watch as Ronnie but by God he is one tough nut to crack. I suppose his tough upbringing has made him that way. And fair play to him, he deserves it.

We are very lucky to have two players like Ronnie and Selby on the tour at the moment. It's a great rivalry for the game and I hope we get another few years out of it yet.

I was disgusted with the louts shouting at the end. Slagging both players. They should be fcuked out. That kinda stuff has no place in the game of snooker.

Onwards to the Masters. Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

HisJills wrote: »
    Im a Ronnie fan for years but you have to think Selby is the favourite in this final. He's been the best player so far this week and his record vs Ronnie is very good. If Ronnie misses chances like he has in his last two matches then he's toast! It pains me to say it but I think Selby will take it 10-7. Tempted to have a small flutter on that score at 9/1.

Anymore tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

sfmcar wrote: »
    I genuinely can't understand how his style of play is appealing to you

or me, he's so slow and moves his head around all over the place when cueing,
    great player but one of the worst to watch, no personality whatsoever either

AnneFrank wrote: »
    or me, he's so slow and moves his head around all over the place when cueing,
    great player but one of the worst to watch, no personality whatsoever either

A little bit harsh. I think his wife might disagree with your assessment rhat he has no personality!!

I agree that hes not the most exciting to watch in terms of speed and shot choice. But when everyone says that about a player they are more often than not comparing them to Ronnie which is unfair. We may never see the likes of Ronnie again.

Look at the two greatest players in history Davis and Hendry. Both of whom could have been accused of having no personality when they were playing. It was their livelihood and they took it very seriously. If they hadn't they wouldn't have had the success.

Ronnie is great to watch but by Jaysus can he be hard to listen to. Sunday night was the first time I hadn't heard him complain or whinge about something in a long time!

No personality!? That he certainly can't be accused of. He's forever having the craic with players and refs. His nickname is The Jester from Leicester ffs!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

all i can say is thank god John Higgins didn't win, he shouldn't be let near a snooker hall never mind a professional tournament

philstar wrote: »
    all i can say is thank god John Higgins didn't win, he shouldn't be let near a snooker hall never mind a professional tournament

Ah give him a break (pardon the pun) . . . . It was a setup. . . . 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I couldnt agree more.
    let alone taking the MBE away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ah give him a break (pardon the pun) . . . . It was a setup. . . . 😉

By a scummy newspaper and a scummy "reporter" both of which are now thankfully defunct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

This idiotic shíte again. The man didn't accept money to throw frames/games. He was only banned for 6 months because he gave the illusion he was but never followed through on it.
    A full investigation was conducted into the allegations by David Douglas – a former Metropolitan Police detective chief superintendent, and head of the WPBSA's disciplinary committee. The independent tribunal that followed on 7–8 September, hosted by Sports Resolutions (UK) and chaired by Ian Mill QC, concurred that the WPBSA was right to conclude that Higgins had truthfully accounted for his words and actions and to withdraw the more serious charges of match-fixing, but found him guilty of 'giving the impression' he would breach betting rules, and of failing to report the approach made by the News of the World. Higgins received a six-month ban, backdated to the start of his suspension period, and was fined £75,000

You just permanently ban someone for that. It's completely different form what Stephen Lee did, where he ACTUALLY threw frames in a tournament in exchange for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

A little bit harsh. I think his wife might disagree with your assessment rhat he has no personality!!

I agree that hes not the most exciting to watch in terms of speed and shot choice. But when everyone says that about a player they are more often than not comparing them to Ronnie which is unfair. We may never see the likes of Ronnie again.

Look at the two greatest players in history Davis and Hendry. Both of whom could have been accused of having no personality when they were playing. It was their livelihood and they took it very seriously. If they hadn't they wouldn't have had the success.

Ronnie is great to watch but by Jaysus can he be hard to listen to. Sunday night was the first time I hadn't heard him complain or whinge about something in a long time!

i hear what you're saying, but the one flaw in this argument is, Stephen Hendry basically invented modern attacking snooker as it's played today, he was the one that started smashing the pack open at every opportunity to make a century break and win the frame in one visit, therefore he was exciting to watch.Davis had the best cueball and tracking control of any player there has ever been, so again was exciting. When i say personality, i mean his snooker personality sure i don't know the chap. As a player, and fan, Selby bores me to tears

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HisJills

Anymore tips?

Ha ha Golden Miller! Did have €5 on it alright! Made up for my useless football bets!! Tip of the day my friend is "socks before shoes" lol 😵😵😂😂

511 wrote: »
    This idiotic shíte again. The man didn't accept money to throw frames/games. He was only banned for 6 months because he gave the illusion he was but never followed through on it.

You just permanently ban someone for that. It's completely different form what Stephen Lee did, where he ACTUALLY threw frames in a tournament in exchange for money.
    higginsp.jpg

Advertisement