Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Championship

Options
  • 26-11-2016 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭

So a week on from the enjoyable northern Ireland open and Mark King's win, snooker on the bbc is back.

Selby was very rusty this afternoon but struggled through 6-4. Robertson is gone already along with Ken and Mark King.
    Fergal O'Brien playing tonight. 8 tables on the go currently with the bbc team snuggly fitting into the players lounge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Fergal O'Brien won.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Wow hell of a win for Fergal to come back against Hawkins

Peter Lines and his son Oliver are in the last 32. It's possible for them to play each other in the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Last 32:

Peter Lines v Liam Highfield
    Mark Williams v Ricky Walden
    Matthew Stevens v Joe Perry
    Michael Georgiou v Ronnie O'Sullivan
    Ding Junhui v Jamie Jones
    Ali Carter v David Gilbert
    Mei Xiwen v Marco Fu
    Jimmy Robertson v Oliver Lines
    Yu Delu v Luca Brecel
    Fergal O'Brien v Stephen Maguire
    Zhou Yuelong v Yan Bingtao (16 year old from China)
    Dominic Dale v Shaun Murphy
    John Higgins v Ben Woollaston
    Mark Allen v Ryan Day
    Zhang Anda v Mitchell Mann
    Robert Milkins v Mark Selby

Big names like defending champion, Neil Robertson, last year's runner-up, Liang Wenbo, Judd Trump, and Stuart Bingham have all been knocked out already.

A final four of Ronnie O'Sullivan, Ding Junhui, Shaun Murphy, and Mark Selby seems likely, but I think there will more surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

147 from Allen on sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

O'Sullivan is 18-1 for the week so far, ridiculously untested. I kind of fancy him to lose once he meets a player who'll put him under some kind of pressure, particularly his long game, Perry could do that next round if he beats Stevens.
    Yan Bingtao is the one to watch, finally a young player who seems worthy of the hype and won't become the next Brecel or Xintong. Could see him playing Murphy next round and would be a great game to watch if it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, the more I think about the less I'm sure whether anyone will actually put it up to him this week. Watched Murphy play Dale today and it was shocking stuff, Dale mugged away about 3 chances to win it before Murphy fell over the line in a heap. Can't see Stevens putting Ronnie under much pressure or anyone in the top half really. It's between O'Sullivan/Higgins/Selby for the title for me.I'd be on Higgins at the current odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ding in a hole here 5-2 down with Jones in amongst the balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Peter File

Ding was shocking tonight. It looked like he didnt want to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Peter File wrote: »
    Ding was shocking tonight. It looked like he didnt want to be there

Agreed, he looked so bad I thought for a minute he was throwing the match.

He can come out with some awful sh!te at times, but on this I am 110% in O'Sullivan's corner. I think he is right in everything he says.

The exchange between himself and Davis earlier was particularly illuminating. For a start, Davis is compromised because of his close connection to Barry Hearn, so he's never going to be critical of the way the tour is set up. He kept arguing O'Sullivan's points by saying we need a bigger tour and more events so that more players can come through. But what players are coming through anyway? 40 year olds plus are winning most of the tournaments and the average age of the top 16 has been steadily creeping up for years. The so-called Chinese invasion is a load of baloney. Kids dont' play snooker anymore and there's nowhere for them to play anyway. And then you have Mark Williams on yesterday saying snooker's never been in better shape. I'm glad O'Sullivan's around for a while yet because the game desperately needs someone to tell it like it is!

I'd have to have Higgins all day against Allen. Allen is a good player who can play good shots (played a snooker against Day that was off the charts), but just don't think he has the focus or the consistency to be regularly beating top players. He'll always gift chances and given Higgins' current run of form, that leads to only one outcome for me today.

Agree on the other matches. They are in the no opinion whatsoever category for me. Suppose i could drum up some interest in Brecel v Maguire if i tried hard enough.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I rather see giant-killing in the latter stages of the competition, let the top 16 enter the tournament in the last 32 stage. Losing the top players before the tournament gets going just makes it less interesting. Sure the BBC didn't even have coverage for Neil Robertson's demise.

I'm sure the players would be grateful, too, as the won't have to spend as much time on the road away from their families. Several players complain about depression and gambling problems from all the spare time they have on the road waiting for their match.

• Advertisement

Been a mixed bag but actually Williams v Highfield has turned out to be a very entertaining tussle. Highfield has a chance to close it out but dunno if i can see him getting it done. Williams overall has been under par in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Allen looks like a Leprechaun these days

Ha! I've never watched GoT but that's him alright. Could be a clone!

Can see easy wins for O'Sullivan, Murphy and Fu today. I'm leaning towards Higgins beating Selby but expect it might be a close one and, hopefully, a classic.

Not sure about that. He obviously feels he doesn't, but wouldn't be the first time Ronnie was wrong about something!

Yeah i'd say your spot on with that. Anyway, isn't ronnie well inside top 10 right now so can't imagine why he'd think his masters place is under threat. I think Walden had to beat Williams to put himself in the masters reckoning, though to be honest i've no idea how many events there are between now and then, or even when the cut off point is, so things could yet change in that equation.

• Advertisement

Advertisement