Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Fidel Castro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

Grand yeah. There are absolutely no good aspects to Cuba when compared to Ireland. It's a sunny version of North Korea while we are a less mountainous version of Switzerland?

Cuba is a totalitarian one party state cult of the leader nightmare. A corrupt economically backward island prison. Intellectuals dissidents and opposition are censored and silenced imprisoned or live in exile. Millions of Cubans have fled to the US and live in Miami and South Florida.

To have any positive opinions toward Castro and his regime you are not living in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

He's the sort of man who has always divided opinion.

He only allowed two opinions.
    You either kissed his ass and did what he said or or you went into prison and exile fleeced of your wealth and property of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

To have any positive opinions toward Castro and his regime you are not living in the real world.

Its rare you see a poster that repeatedly misinterprets something another poster said.

There's a good star for you here though my boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Cuba is a totalitarian one party state cult of the leader nightmare. A corrupt economically backward island prison. Intellectuals dissidents and opposition are censored and silenced imprisoned or live in exile. Millions of Cubans have fled to the US and live in Miami and South Florida.

The best thing about cuba is the cuban people.genuinely the nicest people i've met.we had people bragging to us about how safe it was there.had a bar man tell me he wouldn't go to jamica or miami because it seemed to dangerous.you could literally leave your wallet on a table there and it wouldn't be touched. Another positive is the cleanliness of the landscape.sure the cities were dirty but the castros banned the use of pesticides and artificial fertilizers.the landscape is pristine and the beachest are some of the nicest i've seem.absolutely spotless.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Yeah but he kept collecting the money for the govt.

Yes, and the much-maligned de Valera used it in part to build over 132,000 houses for Irish citizens following the Housing Act 1932. 132,000 houses. He did more than any of his critics to clear out the slums of urban Ireland, and my God they were poverty on a savage scale.

If the current crowd of mé féiner parasites in government built even half that number of houses in Dublin we'd soon see the end of the housing crisis here. But no, in our great capitalist experiment in 2016 state interference in the so-called free market is only tolerated when it's to transfer public wealth to private corporations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

A good revolutionary, not a great revolutionary, bill.
    RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Ignore...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

RIP Fidel. - you brought huge changes to Cuba and punched well above your weight. End of an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The office if the President posted a gushing tribute on their twitter account.

Their last tweet before it was a video of the President calling for more support for human rights.

Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Why all the people fleeing from Cuba throughout his tenure in power? Cubans have been celebrating his death in Miami.

Awful naivety on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Sand

My advice to anyone wanting to see the real Cuba, and get a real feel of Cuban life is to get there soon.

Don't worry. I'm sure they'll herd some Cubans into an open air prison camp under armed guard and keep them in the depths of poverty for future generations of tourists to come and experience the 'real' Cuba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Sand wrote: »
    Don't worry. I'm sure they'll herd some Cubans into an open air prison camp under armed guard and keep them in the depths of poverty for future generations of tourists to come and experience the 'real' Cuba.

Yeah, there will be no massive change while his brother is still in power.

Flimpson wrote: »
    Why all the people fleeing from Cuba throughout his tenure in power? Cubans have been celebrating his death in Miami.

Awful naivety on this thread.

The "Miami Cubans" would not, by any understanding of the English language, be an internationally respected group of people.

Some of us are old enough to remember what absolute scumbags they collectively were in the
    Elián González case
    in 1999/2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

God rest him, a Catholic man. Baptised, took Communion and was Confirmed.

I would have been on the opposite side of his political views but I respect him for sticking to his cause and taking over an entire country and enforcing his ideology on them.

He fully believed in what he said, he was a doer not a thinker.

Ah you ruined it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Love him or hate him the guy had bigger balls than a million hipsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some dictators are bad, some are really bad. He wasn't the worst but still a bit of a bollocks.

Sand wrote: »

Good point. Be afraid, Cubans (click "United States" and enjoy concentration camp "civilisation" US-style)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

The president of my country just praised a dictator who was responsible for the exile and murder of countless numbers of his own citizens. To say I'm disgusted is an understatement. F*** Gerry Adams too, the clown.

At least Castro is burning in hell, and his stupid followers can join him there when father time takes them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

At least he got to see the new series of Gilmore Girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

RIP
    I lived the full Castro Cuba reign, don't know much about him, except he wasn't a fan on the USA, or they of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The president of my country just praised a dictator who was responsible for the exile and murder of countless numbers of his own citizens. To say I'm disgusted is an understatement. F*** Gerry Adams too, the clown.

"A giant among global leaders". Does this declaration by President Michael D.Higgins seem inappropriate given what ought to be the "apolitical" nature of the office he holds?

Buena Vista Social Club, one of the most refreshing cds of the entire 1990s:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,601 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

chicorytip wrote: »
    "A giant among global leaders". Does this declaration by President Michael D.Higgins seem inappropriate given what ought to be the "apolitical" nature of the office he holds?

Naw, man. He thinks everyone else is a giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,795 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Can't believe Fray Bentos is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Yeah, there will be no massive change while his brother is still in power.

Think his brother has already brought about changes and reforms

• Registered Users Posts: 19,601 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Buena Vista Social Club, one of the most refreshing cds of the entire 1990s:

This is the best thing ever. Just back from a trip to Cuba, prompted by this album.

Loved it. Mad place.

I'd very much be in the pro Fidel camp. Place was an absolute fiasco before he took it by the scruff of the neck.

Standing up to the US is a thing far more countries should do, and I suspect it's only going to become more important over the next four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Love him or hate him the guy had bigger balls than a million hipsters.

Yeah and it's quite something to see those in Miami celebrating the death of a feeble old man who they were still petrified of until yesterday. They must have no shame whatsoever that they or their fathers or grandfathers ran away like cowards and then after more than half a century can't see that once again they are making an embarrassment out of themselves by cheering the death of a man, who unlike them had the courage to fight for what he believed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

smurgen wrote: »
    I was in cuba in august.the people hated the castros and i can understand why.they were so close to the breadline it was frightening.it was a real,real eye opener to see what no investment looks like.streets were absolutely filthy,infrastructure terrible.holes is motorways that could swallow a car and footpaths with gaping holes. Also it is like north korea lite.western music and culture is sanctioned.internet is sanction.there are guys who make a living downloading random western content once a month and sharing it with everyone in their neighborhoods for money.if they get caught they're executed. We also seen the odd mural there that said socilaism or death and there are symbols everywhere to remind you you're being watched.

Charming and quaint in some peoples eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭droidman123

spurious wrote: »
    Certainly the end of an era. The thought of Trump probably finished him off.

I doubt the thought of trump would have any impact on the great man,he already seen off the wrath of 11 American presidents with nonchalance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭droidman123

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    This is the best thing ever. Just back from a trip to Cuba, prompted by this album.

Loved it. Mad place.

I'd very much be in the pro Fidel camp. Place was an absolute fiasco before he took it by the scruff of the neck.

Standing up to the US is a thing far more countries should do, and I suspect it's only going to become more important over the next four years.

Agreed,he put a stop to the Americans raping cuba of it's resources, just like they raped a lot of South america, one of the reasons America hated him is because he had the balls to stand up to them

Advertisement