Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21% think sex without consent is OK in some situations - poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

"I'm not surprised by this"

"People need to learn about consent".

Yet again it's the sorts that spout this sort of guff that have absolutely zero capability of critical thought. Maybe there are some classes those people should attend, one where you're taught to use your brain.

Christ!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

Shergar6 wrote: »
    Well --- a lot of men are going around raping women.
    They're not. Try looking it up if you actually care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

This is the question.

“Some people believe that having sexual intercourse without consent may be justified in certain situations. Do you think this applies to the following circumstances? ”

It does not ask do you believe it is justified in the following circumstances. It's very badly worded. You could easily read this as asking what situations people sometimes think are justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Er..would you really imply you were a rapist just for the lulz on a survey?

You'd be surprised at what some people think is funny. One listen to Trump shows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I feel triggered, whatever that means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I feel triggered, whatever that means.

And I'm a snowflaker. Can't be handling this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ligerdub wrote: »
    "I'm not surprised by this"

"People need to learn about consent".

Yet again it's the sorts that spout this sort of guff that have absolutely zero capability of critical thought. Maybe there are some classes those people should attend, one where you're taught to use your brain.

Christ!

Maybe you could offer a critical opinion or critique what is wrong rather than just pointlessly ranting - "they're wrong, christ they're wrong"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Maybe you could offer a critical opinion or critique what is wrong rather than just pointlessly ranting - "they're wrong, christ they're wrong"

Your total contribution to the thread so far is pointing out to a poster that the poll wasn't in a newspaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Sand

In fairness, critiques of the misleading questions and contradictory responses have already been offered. Certainly, mandatory classes in common sense need to be implemented for individuals who believe 21% of people think rape is grand on the back of this 'survey'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Your total contribution to the thread so far is pointing out to a poster that the poll wasn't in a newspaper!

*scans thread for kersplat's contribution*

You got lucky this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Gatling wrote: »
    I actually fear for my daughter's growing up ,

as i fear for my son
    but we will raise them well and it will be ok
    you dont have to out run thr leopard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

So a horny couple who tear each others clothes off without specifically asking if "hey baby u wanna ****?" and shag like rabbits for the night are technically raping each other according to this 'survey'?

Riiiiight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

If it happens three times like you describe, there's definitely enough implied consent to make it ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Christy42

Pique wrote: »
    So a horny couple who tear each others clothes off without specifically asking if "hey baby u wanna ****?" and shag like rabbits for the night are technically raping each other according to this 'survey'?

Riiiiight.

You do know consent does not have to be verbal to be consent right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

In some people's eyes it does though.. that's the problem.

(1, 2).

https://twitter.com/katiebarry3/status/793602600000184320

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Christy42

In some people's eyes it does though.. that's the problem.

(1, 2).

https://twitter.com/katiebarry3/status/793602600000184320

That is not what that tweet is saying imo. She is right that a yes is required but non verbal communication can give you a yes. Yes is just the easiest way to write it in a tweet.

I also have suspicions that some would rather try this argument again than actually debate the issue. Unless some are proposing to fund an alternate poll with questions they worded themselves and actually put their money where their mouth is...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Horrible survey tactic.

Question says: "Some people believe that having sex without consent may be justified in certain situations. Do you think this applies to the following circumstances? etc."

It does not ask people what they think - it asks them if they believe some other people think such and such. If the survey were looking for honest results, instead of something they could twist and sensationalize, they would have asked something along the lines of:
    "Some people believe that having sex without consent may be justified in certain situations. Do YOU think having sex without consent is justified in the following circumstances?"
    But that would make for poorer headlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

This is the question.

“Some people believe that having sexual intercourse without consent may be justified in certain situations. Do you think this applies to the following circumstances? ”

It does not ask do you believe it is justified in the following circumstances. It's very badly worded. You could easily read this as asking what situations people sometimes think are justified.

I think it does read as that.

I don't think it in any way asks when you personally think sex without consent is ok. Not at all.

I've written a number of surveys for use in clinical settings and I would read the questions over and over to ensure that the information we wanted was exactly what we were asking for. It would be further proof read and discussed by many to make sure that it read correctly.

The only ways I can see a question like the above being ultimately used is a. they didn't have it validated by other parties, b. the way I read it was they wanted to ask, or c. they did indeed want it to be ambiguous in order push a false result.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Oddly, according to this poll, it was actually women that believed this more than men.

There are a lot of women reading those romance novels secretly hoping for a tall dark stranger to come in and sweep her off her feet...

Yer man from the cadburys milk tray ad never asked for consent before he snuck in her window in the middle of the night.....

I think a certain percentage of the respondents think implied consent is acceptable in certain circumstances, not necessarily verbal consent. But there is absolutely no excuse for sexual contact when consent is expressly denied or where sexual contact is made in an obviously inappropriate situation.

If Mrs Akrasia is having a shower when I come home from playing soccer, and I strip off and jump into the shower with her, it becomes immediately obvious whether there's consent or not but no words are required.

I think it does read as that.

I don't think it in any way asks when you personally think sex without consent is ok. Not at all.

I've written a number of surveys for use in clinical settings and I would read the questions over and over to ensure that the information we wanted was exactly what we were asking for. It would be further proof read and discussed by many to make sure that it read correctly.

The only ways I can see a question like the above being ultimately used is a. they didn't have it validated by other parties, b. the way I read it was they wanted to ask, or c. they did indeed want it to be ambiguous in order push a false result.
    Yep. Stupidly worded question. Why would they ask someone about they think what some other hypothetical people might find appropriate

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    Horrible survey tactic.

Question says: "Some people believe that having sex without consent may be justified in certain situations. Do you think this applies to the following circumstances? etc."

It does not ask people what they think - it asks them if they believe some other people think such and such. If the survey were looking for honest results, instead of something they could twist and sensationalize, they would have asked something along the lines of:
    "Some people believe that having sex without consent may be justified in certain situations. Do YOU think having sex without consent is justified in the following circumstances?"
    But that would make for poorer headlines.
    They shouldn't be leading the with the 'some people think x' at all

That's biasing the response, people are more likely to agree to a statement if they think other people agree with them.

People who have no opinion are likely to just go along with what 'some people believe'

If it happens three times like you describe, there's definitely enough implied consent to make it ok!
    Only the third time, the first two times are rape

I really hope we don't get to a time where a written or verbal contract needs to be given before you engage in any sexual activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I really hope we don't get to a time where a written or verbal contract needs to be given before you engage in any sexual activities.

I'm starting to wonder if folks will need 2 witnesses to sign a consent form before sexual activity begins.

I'm sure a lot of people have had sex with someone and regretted it the next day, does that make it wrong?

The auld company Christmas party is going to be a minefield this year. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kerryguy78

This was shocking. I have had arguements in the past saying women do put themselves in dangerous situations doe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

kerryguy78 wrote: »
    This was shocking. I have had arguements in the past saying women do put themselves in dangerous situations doe

Both men and women do, especially with alcohol. It's just that women are more vulnerable in those situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Might have to join a union...SIPTU

Sexinpartnershiptradeunion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

It's fairly clear what the people who undertook this survey wanted to see in their results, and it looks like they got exactly what they wanted! It's such a complete load of bollocks, it's laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

They're not. Try looking it up if you actually care.

So what, all these women coming forward are lying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Gatling wrote: »
    I actually fear for my daughter's growing up ,

With insidious, sneaky feminist backed propaganda like this ridiculously biased 'study' hitting the mainstream news as fact I'm afraid I fear more for my son than my daughter.

How anyone can be taken in by this dog**** is beyond me. More fearmongering from the femenists to push their rape culture, man hating agenda.

Advertisement