Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday?! Wtf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Load of bollox

Was looking at an electric bike for my son in a well know toy store.....was 179.99 the past few months.

Black friday sale : 179.99 down from 200

Assholes

I was walking around some shops that were running Black Friday sales. These were packed, full of people selling money. I find Black Friday naff and the idea of us having it here is silly, but it is obviously massively benefiting people

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Hopefully it will fizzle out, as happened with that "Arthur's Day" bollox, now that the novelty is wearing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Seemed to be a bit of a damp squib in the UK. Showed some shops opening the doors and no rush, not one person outside. Online seems to be where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hopefully it will fizzle out, as happened with that "Arthur's Day" bollox, now that the novelty is wearing off.

Its only going to get bigger....marketing works for most things now, and the Facebook generation believe everything they are told, and they think they are getting fantastic deals today so it will continue to grow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

People of Colour Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

biko wrote: »
    As part of the PC brigade I find it offensive that the Irish have culturally appropriated Black Friday. It's an American thing.

It really a consumerism thing I think.

Good to see that all this shopping makes people behave like animals

http://nypost.com/2016/11/25/black-friday-violence-breaks-out-across-america/

I do despair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

NIMAN wrote: »
    Good to see that all this shopping makes people behave like animals

http://nypost.com/2016/11/25/black-friday-violence-breaks-out-across-america/

I do despair.

Jesus...over a bloody parking space. :confused:

President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national day of "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens,"

And go forth and blow the bollox off someone for a parking spot, amen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I've been looking for a basic but decent camera for the past few weeks -Canon 1300D or Nikon3300D about what I want to pay and more importantly what I can master without going back to school. Not a red cent cheaper anywhere. Common sense says wait till Jan but I have a feeling that won't matter a lot either. Old enough to know that 'they' only use these 'sales' to get rid.........

Chinese must be laughing........

joeysoap wrote: »
    I've been looking for a basic but decent camera for the past few weeks -Canon 1300D or Nikon3300D about what I want to pay and more importantly what I can master without going back to school. Not a red cent cheaper anywhere. Common sense says wait till Jan but I have a feeling that won't matter a lot either. Old enough to know that 'they' only use these 'sales' to get rid.........

Chinese must be laughing........

Thats true for so much of the stuff sold today. I would guess not too many genuine deals around at all.

Bit like all those Next sales at 5am just after Xmas. I know people who work in Next and they told me that all the old stock from the warehouse is brought out for those sales, cos if you get out of your bed at 5am to buy clothes over Xmas, you'll likely buy any old tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Seemed to be a bit of a damp squib in the UK. Showed some shops opening the doors and no rush, not one person outside. Online seems to be where it's at.

Hopefully that will be the growing trend over this side of the Atlantic . Seeing people stampede over one another for the sake of a big screen tv is kinda depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Fcuk I remember that sh*te. The streets clogged with moochers and p*ssheads at 6pm to get thier free pint. Tourists must of had their suspicions confirmed that the whole Country was just one big pint of Guinness.

Fcuking embarassing sh*te that thankfully is resigned to history.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Billy86 wrote: »
    In the US I think it's because they do some of the present giving on Thanksgiving which was yesterday, so apparently you get huge discounts .

Nope, wrong. We don't exchange gifts on Thanksgiving, ever. It's just a holiday to eat a big meal and hang out with family, completely gift-free, which is fantastic.

Black Friday is big bc Thanksgiving is the only holiday in the USA where people get two days in a row off work, Thursday and Friday. (We work on Xmas Eve and there's no Stephens Day). So, Black Friday evolved from folks doing their Christmas shopping on their day off, the day after Thanksgiving.

Having said that, Black Friday is a materialistic nightmare now, and I hate it. And I really hate how it's been exported. Thanksgiving is lovely, Black Friday is not.

I saved an absolute fortune on Black Friday ...............................by buying nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Didn't have it in black, just very very dark blue, so I gave it a miss. Chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I had four pints of Guinness last night.

That was my black Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

I didn't get in on the Black Friday thing this year. I think in America, it's probably the real deal there but here in Ireland - not so much.

I checked online on the pet shop I order from to see if I could get the dogs food at a discounted price but sadly not.

My mam got me to check Smyth's online for a Xmas present. They have the usual deals - like is it 2 for 20euro or something on some selected bits. They usually have that anyways. They did have a black Friday deal section. I was very unimpressed to say the least. Things like bikes, trampolines, sand and water tables, goal posts, were in under the section for black Friday deals. Stuff I would associate with more summer time use. Not really much of a deal there.

I really wish black Friday would catch on here. Like the real deal, have prices completely slashed for the day. Maybe change the day from the Friday to the following Saturday to allow a lot of workers to get in on it. Probably wishful thinking here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Its a marketing ploy and proven sham, 70% of products have been cheaper at other times of the year.
    http://www.which.co.uk/news/2016/11/misleading-black-friday-offers-uncovered-by-which-investigation-455959/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just do what I do.

Ignore it.

Carry on like normal.

Hope it goes away.

Or pick up a bargain and save yerself €90 like I did... Huzzah for bargain alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Or pick up a bargain and save yerself €90 like I did... Huzzah for bargain alerts.

It's only a bargain if:

1. It's something you would have bought anyway, not just because it was on sale.

2. They didn't jack up the price in the weeks beforehand and then drop it on BF to make it look like you were getting a bargain. Or do a Harvey Norman on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What ever happened to the 8th of December???

There should be a minister for culture. And he should ban this black friday sh1te as non-Irish culture. Punishment for propagating this boll0xology should be loss of right to vote.

I watched football on Thanksgiving and now I'm listening to Jazz. Report me to the Ministry of Culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Greentopia wrote: »
    It's only a bargain if:

1. It's something you would have bought anyway, not just because it was on sale.

2. They didn't jack up the price in the weeks beforehand and then drop it on BF to make it look like you were getting a bargain. Or do a Harvey Norman on it.

Yes it was definitely a bargain, I'd missed out twice on flash sales during the year so had been watching, analysing, comparing, scheming for months.

You can check previous prices from amazon on Camelcamelcamel.

I didn't get in on the Black Friday thing this year. I think in America, it's probably the real deal there but here in Ireland - not so much.

I checked online on the pet shop I order from to see if I could get the dogs food at a discounted price but sadly not. <snip>

That was the only saving I made. 10% off from Zooplus, a whopping €4.21 but anything off was nice. All the sweeter was I got 2x 1KG bags for free with my points. :) The only one I spent on was my madra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Black Friday was a bust here in Scotland. No crowds, more staff than customers in some shops. I was on the lookout for some headphones, Maplins were too expensive. Currys had the ones I wanted advertised as reduced from £89.99 to £29.99 so I walked 4 miles up there as my car insurance hadn't come through. Still £89.99 on the shelf, asked a fella and he said it was a mistake online so I walked another 3 miles to Argos and bought the same ones reduced from £89.99 to £34.99. (Previously on sale at £69.99) so all in all I think I did ok. Thank god I'm insured now though, bloody legs are killing me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I suppose its like the rebranded January sales except a bit earlier.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

That was the only saving I made. 10% off from Zooplus, a whopping €4.21 but anything off was nice. All the sweeter was I got 2x 1KG bags for free with my points. :) The only one I spent on was my madra.

Is there a code for the 10%? I didn't see anything when I checked out zooplus. My emails are in German because I bought from the .de site so fcuk knows what they say. Might be to make cyber Monday. I'd be putting in a large order so it would be nice to get something off.

Lol! At your last sentence. The only deals I went looking for were for my pets too. I had to my best to stay away from the orthopaedic bed section on the online pet shops because I don't have the money to buy another.

@ Broken Hearted Road - I had it on the A&P Bargain Alerts topic HERE and bear in mind it is on certain brands only one of which I buy anyway.

Code: IE-BLK-5-DAY

Zooplus Link

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I suppose its like the rebranded January sales except a bit earlier.

And nowhere near as cheap either.

Advertisement