Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday?! Wtf

Options
  • 25-11-2016 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Why is this the first year I'm hearing this here, black Friday this, black Friday that, I'm not blatantly Anti Americanisms, but this is a US thing!
    Fair enough if there's some deals available, there probably would be anyway, just seems it's in every ad I hear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Just do what I do.

Ignore it.

Carry on like normal.

Hope it goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Amazon started this and people started shopping online .........now all other companies are jumping on the bandwagon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Politically correct nonsense. When's White Friday? That's what I want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cyber Monday still to come !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

Followed by Pancake Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And Easter Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Cyber Monday is next Monday. It's like Black Friday but it's of a Monday and it's online. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Followed by Pancake Tuesday.

Thats a day I can get behind.
    I always forget though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Should it not be called non white Friday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

cerastes wrote: »
    Why is this the first year I'm hearing this here, black Friday this, black Friday that, I'm not blatantly Amit Americanisms, but this is a US thing!
    Fair enough if there's some deals available, there probably would be anyway, just seems it's in every ad I hear.

Oh, kinda kicked in about 6 years ago in Ireland/Europe. Don't know how you'd miss the ads over the years TBH. Harvey Norman's started it here on the radio, and they are an Oz company.

It's nothing new, but sales, that's a good thing for us.

Don't look into how it works in the states. But if you want to, Google's your mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

I think Saturday is going to be black too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

"Black Friday Matters"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Bring on terrible Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just another way to make us buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Ahh...consumerism!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Bring on terrible Thursday.

Worryingly Wednesday!! AHHHH!

That's next week though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

RayM wrote: »
    Politically correct nonsense. When's White Friday? That's what I want to know.

White Friday is on next Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

At this stage it's just another spin on the "permanent sale" sh1tology... The runup hype is setting us all up for a major anticlimax going on the "bargains" that have been flagged so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It started in an episode of South Park a few years back, that is how most of us heard about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,199 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just call it Harvey Norman day where prices go up before the sale so that they can come back down again for the sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

As part of the PC brigade I find it offensive that the Irish have culturally appropriated Black Friday. It's an American thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

me e-mail inbox is jammers with the black friday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

mmmm Fryday /drools

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Love watching the Youtube vids of people losing their minds over in the US stores........some fantastic entertainment watching The Trump's soon to be subjects resorting to their most base emotions for $5 headphones.

USA ! USA ! USA ! USA !

• Registered Users Posts: 38,149 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://youtu.be/KK2XFYL3D80

There have been people killed In the past at these sales

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

ASDA London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭FionnK86

White Friday is on next Tuesday.

The correct term is African-American friday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Ah now; Would that not suggest that White is somehow the norm, here in Ireland? Can't be having that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

Oh, kinda kicked in about 6 years ago in Ireland/Europe. Don't know how you'd miss the ads over the years TBH. Harvey Norman's started it here on the radio, and they are an Oz company.

It's nothing new, but sales, that's a good thing for us.

Don't look into how it works in the states. But if you want to, Google's your mate

I didn't need another reason to hate that company/infuriatingly loud and shouty man, but I'll always take one. If there was ever a man/entire group of advertising executives that deserved to be locked in a room with a dozen vuvuzelas at full blast, it's them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,347 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ASDA London.

That clip, which I think is old and from a couple of years ago, really makes you despair for the human race.

Watching people trample each other to get in and buy rubbish they likely don't need, then nearly start a fight over a Polaroid branded TV. Cheap tat at best.

The shop owners must be laughing all the way to the bank with all this BF nonsense. Its all people have been talking about in work for days. How anyone can spend £500 on a TV and say "I saved 400" is beyond me. No you didn't save 400, you spent 500 ya numpty.

Advertisement