Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday?! Wtf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

biko wrote: »
    Just another way to make us buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.

After using a Fight Club quote from the 90's like that, I usually post a link to that Bill Hicks video about people that work in marketing just to be extra edgy…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Presuming everybody making tiresome undergraduate homilies about consumerism lives in the nip, in an organic camp on the side of a mountain and is presumably posting here by telepathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

See that one person was killed in a dispute over a parking space during black Friday.

http://www.kmov.com/story/33791420/1-killed-in-shooting-over-parking-space-in-nevada

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

What ever happened to the 8th of December???

There should be a minister for culture. And he should ban this black friday sh1te as non-Irish culture. Punishment for propagating this boll0xology should be loss of right to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nidom

seamus wrote: »
    If we didn't already have Xmas, I'd say we already would be celebrating something around now.

Any excuse for a bit of a party. I wouldn't see the issue if it became a tradition in Ireland to have some kind of pre-Xmas weekend, 4 weeks before Xmas. Beer and lots of food. What's there to complain about?

Didn't say I was complaining :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Presuming everybody making tiresome undergraduate homilies about consumerism lives in the nip, in an organic camp on the side of a mountain and is presumably posting here by telepathy.
    My hemp shirt is making me irritable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Jesus, dundrum is nuts. People looking for their christmas bargains. Traffic jams to get in to the place. On this plus side they directed me to the overflow carpark which was free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Really don't get the whole rush into shops to batter the sh*te out of each other for a small discount. The online deals can be quite handy for the presents for others etc, but sure only 3 weeks ago I got a pair of £80 headphones on Amazon for £18 and a £130 humidifier for £27 with free delivery. Did a quick check around this morning and the savings in most places aren't really anything significant.

In the US I think it's because they do some of the present giving on Thanksgiving which was yesterday, so apparently you get huge discounts - 60, 70, 80% off type of stuff. Still wouldn't be arsed entering the jungle myself for it, but it at least makes some sense... most of what I've seen here is 10-15% bits and bobs on a small number of items. Doesn't make sense for most shops to do bigger discounts here since all the present/Christmas stuff is in a months time. Makes sense that if you had something in mind for the last few weeks to maybe hold off until today (well, if buying online to avoid the bedlam anyway) but otherwise it's much of a muchness. Still, people can be right eejits for marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Billy86 wrote: »
    Really don't get the whole rush into shops to batter the sh*te out of each other for a small discount. The online deals can be quite handy for the presents for others etc, but sure only 3 weeks ago I got a pair of £80 headphones on Amazon for £18 and a £27 humidifier for £30 with free delivery. Did a quick check around this morning and the savings in most places aren't really anything significant.

You were done!

Winterlong wrote: »
    You were done!
    I'm... not a particularly shrewd negotiator. :o

Meant a £130 one for £27. Edited now. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Did ye see the video of the woman in Harvey Norman supposedly lifting up the 235 "Black Friday" price tag to reveal that the original price was 215?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,541 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Harvey Normans "sales" are as real as a very fake thing.

Amazon started this and people started shopping online .........now all other companies are jumping on the bandwagon

Black Friday has been around since 1932. Long before Amazon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Got a discount on my usenet sub.

Seems like the most anti black friday thing to do online. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Black Friday is a fairly big deal in Canada. Not nearly as bad as the States but not far off. I normally wouldn't go near the shops, but I need a new winter coat so I'll brave the crowds to get it half price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Most replies have given me some hope and a few laughs, honestly been the first year Ive heard it so much in mostly radio adverts and people talking about it. If this has been ongoing for years, I seem to have missed it :)
    Im not going out in a frenzyfest of crazy shoppers to buy stuff I never wanted, hopefully it will settle down so I can get some Xmas presents in peace on Xmas eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

People need stuff. However, people don't need stuff that they don't need.

I like Americans. But they need to get a grip on this front. One day you are giving thanks for what you have, and VERY NEXT FUPPIN DAY you wake up and think, "you know what I really need is more stuff".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I honestly didn't realise this was a thing in Ireland until I saw this thread. Is it a Dublin thing only/mostly?

I haven't noticed any specific advertising/anybody talking about it here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Any shop that encourages crowds of people to trample on each other should be shut down.

Should be encouraged. That's a reality show I could get behind.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

mariaalice wrote: »
    So has anyone got some fantastic bargain, Christmas starts in November.

Nah, I'm waiting for the January sales to start next week. :pac:

But this morning the postwoman delivered a Chinese DSLR glidecam knock-off that was already great value before they dropped the price to under 40€ with free delivery when I ordered it last week. It's black and today's Friday so that's me sorted. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

"Black Friday Matters"

I nearly spat out of my tea. Well done sir.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I'm delighted with it anyway, got a lovely regatta jacket 75% off!

K-9 wrote: »
    Should be encouraged. That's a reality show I could get behind.

The Great Darwinian Race

• Registered Users Posts: 16,541 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

osarusan wrote: »
    I honestly didn't realise this was a thing in Ireland until I saw this thread. Is it a Dublin thing only/mostly?

I haven't noticed any specific advertising/anybody talking about it here at all.

They have culchie day in Dublin on Dec 8th for the rest of the country. Prices are doubled instead of half'd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Since every day is a "sale on here!!!!" day now Black Friday could be any Friday - just pick your shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

Yes goys, look at all the sales! Hurry up and max out your credit card, someone else might get the useless **** you don't need if you're not quick enough.

*rubs hands in a gleeful manner

If you done your homework beforehand you could pick up some great deals on the likes of Amazon and Argos - there was some great value on consoles, electronics and the like earlier on today. Walking around the shops in the hope of a deal? Fúck that for a game of soldiers…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

My social media is full of people complaining about packed shopping centres, seemingly oblivious to the fact that everybody else who is in the place for Black Friday is also moaning about everybody else being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Since every day is a "sale on here!!!!" day now Black Friday could be any Friday - just pick your shop.

esp our friend Harvey Norman :)

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    esp our friend Harvey Norman :)

Always putting up their prices to give you that special offer!!!

Advertisement