Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best smart Socket/Plug

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »
    It is the SONOFF socket, uses the same app it's also available in their IFTTT channel, I wanted to get them in the past but the UK outlets sell out quickly

Thanks, do you know what the plug does after a power outage (or you replicating it by switching off and on again)? Does it come back on, off or it's last state? Is it settable in the app?

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I don't know sorry.

However regular SONOFF devices have some internal memory and hold their schedule downloaded to them ,

I know that's not what you asked. I can't answer your question sorry

So my sonoff unit if scheduled to be on, will turn on if it experiences a power outage and juices back up.

However I never checked how it operated if it was manually switched on, and ran through off/ on.
    I don't know if it remembers that activity

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No bother thanks, it is cheap enough to give it a go anyway, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

bk wrote: »
    Looks very interesting, looks like it might be from the same folks involved in Sonoff. If you do get it, let use know how it goes, we would have some questions.

I have 2 waiting for dispatch atm

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Anyone having issues with their sonoff kit today, mine keeps dropping connection eg wifi LED flashing and then comes back for awhile and goes again. No other internet issues. ewelink showing them offline also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

viperlogic wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with their sonoff kit today, mine keeps dropping connection eg wifi LED flashing and then comes back for awhile and goes again. No other internet issues. ewelink showing them offline also

All mine keep going offline as well since this afternoon looks like server issues. Also see a number of people with the same issues on Google Play Store reviews. New firmware out for the basic so maybe their servers can't handle the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Same as, Ive buried one in a wall behind a switch and it last connection yesterday. Spent ages reconnecting it so this explains it :) Hopfully its fixed soon as its for the power of a rad in a bathroom.

Looks very interesting, looks like it might be from the same folks involved in Sonoff. If you do get it, let use know how it goes, we would have some questions.

My two arrived. They look decent enough. Setup with the ewelink app was straight forward, firmware was updated. Linked to Google home ok.

thecivvie wrote: »
    My two arrived. They look decent enough. Setup with the ewelink app was straight forward, firmware was updated. Linked to Google home ok.

Cool, thanks.

Any chance if you can see if you can link them to IFTTT to?

And what happens when you turn off the power to them (at the wall) and on again?

Cool, thanks.

Any chance if you can see if you can link them to IFTTT to?

And what happens when you turn off the power to them (at the wall) and on again?

Linked fine to IFTTT and if I turn off at the wall, it stays off when i turn it back on, although in ewelink app this can be changed to On/Off/State

• Advertisement

Linked fine to IFTTT and if I turn off at the wall, it stays off when i turn it back on, although in ewelink app this can be changed to On/Off/State

Perfect, thanks, sounds like a great option so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

Not sure whether to start a new thread or not so posting here first and if that's wrong please accept apology and hopefully a Mod will move.

I recently purchased a pair of TP-Link HS110 Wi-Fi Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring plugs and installed the Kasa app on my Android (OS 7.1.1) phone.

I got both plugs installed and set up with individual schedules (for turning on corridor night lights and the newly erected Xmas tree lights) no problem and they operate perfectly in accordance to the set schedule but when I try to manually connect to them to turn the lights on (or off) before the scheduled time, I frequently get an error message saying the app cannot connect to the plugs and to try again later.

At the times I've tried to connect manually my phone has been connected to both the home WiFi network (same as the plugs) and 4g. I thought the "smart switching" option in Android might have been causing some issue so switched it off but no joy.

Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong or what setting I may need to change on either the app itself or within Android?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

This seems like a good a thread as any to ask this, and it's probably already been answered, but are there any sockets/plugs which work with Phillips Hue bridge? Very tempted to buy some bulbs and the bridge on Amazon but would like some sockets I can control too and possibly the heating in the future too.

If the Hue isn't suitable, what would be? Would like to control lights, sockets and heating from one app if possible.

Wheety wrote: »
    This seems like a good a thread as any to ask this, and it's probably already been answered, but are there any sockets/plugs which work with Phillips Hue bridge? Very tempted to buy some bulbs and the bridge on Amazon but would like some sockets I can control too and possibly the heating in the future too.

If the Hue isn't suitable, what would be? Would like to control lights, sockets and heating from one app if possible.

No Smart sockets work with Hue directly.

You can sort of control them together with a service like Stringify or Yonomi or using voice with Google Home or Alexa. You might be able to do it with a Smartthings Hub or similar, but I haven't tried it.

I suppose another option is the Apple Home app, but I think you need to have an Apple TV then as a sort of hub.

To be honest, I find, that you are better off just using the separate apps for each device ecosystem. If you are using something like motion sensors or routines or voice control, you rarely use the apps anyway beyond setup.

Hi all,

Not sure whether to start a new thread or not so posting here first and if that's wrong please accept apology and hopefully a Mod will move.

I recently purchased a pair of TP-Link HS110 Wi-Fi Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring plugs and installed the Kasa app on my Android (OS 7.1.1) phone.

I got both plugs installed and set up with individual schedules (for turning on corridor night lights and the newly erected Xmas tree lights) no problem and they operate perfectly in accordance to the set schedule but when I try to manually connect to them to turn the lights on (or off) before the scheduled time, I frequently get an error message saying the app cannot connect to the plugs and to try again later.

At the times I've tried to connect manually my phone has been connected to both the home WiFi network (same as the plugs) and 4g. I thought the "smart switching" option in Android might have been causing some issue so switched it off but no joy.

Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong or what setting I may need to change on either the app itself or within Android?

Cheers.

Just noticed that the problem only seems to exist when the phone the Kasa app is on is connected to the same WiFi system as the plugs. Turn WiFi off on the phone so it is only connected to the internet via 4G and it works seamlessly.

Any ideas?

Just noticed that the problem only seems to exist when the phone the Kasa app is on is connected to the same WiFi system as the plugs. Turn WiFi off on the phone so it is only connected to the internet via 4G and it works seamlessly.

Any ideas?

I wonder if your wifi router has two wifi networks, one 2.4GHz, another 5GHz, but is using the same name for both networks, thus causing issues.

The Kasa plug uses the 2.4GHz network, you should double check that your phone is also using 2.4GHz and not 5GHz.

Might not be the issue, but just something that comes to mind.

I wonder if your wifi router has two wifi networks, one 2.4GHz, another 5GHz, but is using the same name for both networks, thus causing issues.

The Kasa plug uses the 2.4GHz network, you should double check that your phone is also using 2.4GHz and not 5GHz.

Might not be the issue, but just something that comes to mind.

Yes, it's a fairly high end (or was a few years ago) Asus router which pumps out both 2.4Hz and 5Hz networks with identical names bar the final element which in one case is 2.4Hz and the other is 5Hz.

I guess I could log into the router and change the name of the 5Hz network to something completely different and see if that solves the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Yes, it's a fairly high end (or was a few years ago) Asus router which pumps out both 2.4Hz and 5Hz networks with identical names bar the final element which in one case is 2.4Hz and the other is 5Hz.

I guess I could log into the router and change the name of the 5Hz network to something completely different and see if that solves the problem.

Create a virtual AP for just IOT devices. I had to do this for my Ring doorbell as it didn't like multiple APs but now connect all my IOT devices to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Wheety wrote: »

As mentioned in the other post, you can use Apple Home to control a lot of devices. Philips hue lights and elgato eve plugs. you can have themes that with one button press will turn on the eve plugs and the lights at the same time etc.

You do need an apple tv or an ipad thats always at home to use as the hub for apple home.

Perfect, thanks, sounds like a great option so.

I have had none of the issues that I had with my Tp-link HS100 as such. Of course I may have just jinxed it

• Advertisement

I name my two networks separately as I find lots of wifi devices have difficulty when two networks have the same AP name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭opus

Any ideas?

I've been having this problem as well but haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, will check what happens if I turn off wifi this evening to see if it's the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Going to praise these Z-wave plugs again. I'm loving them. Bought 4 so far and seriously considering another few while they still work out at under £17 each (when bought in pairs). Seems they've sold around 180 of them in the last few weeks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heiman-HS2SK-Z-Smart-Plug-White/253260185417

The two I have in use are in the attached images. One (Node 3) is monitoring the AV processor and dual power amps. In this case I'm just tracking it's usage against the Nvidia Shield so I can shut down the AVP and amps when not in use.

The other (Node 4) is controlling the 3 sets of outdoor LED Christmas lights. The second image shows how I have it set up in HomeSeer to switch the lights on an hour after sunset and off 6 hours after sunset.

SachaJ wrote: »
    Going to praise these Z-wave plugs again. I'm loving them. Bought 4 so far and seriously considering another few while they still work out at under £17 each (when bought in pairs). Seems they've sold around 180 of them in the last few weeks.

Silly question but do you use them with a hub or alone

Silly question but do you use them with a hub or alone

You need a Z-Wave controller. In my case I’m running HomeSeer on a spare PC with a Z-Wave.Me USB stick. I think they work with Smartthings also as that has Z-Wave built in.

You need a Z-Wave controller. In my case I’m running HomeSeer on a spare PC with a Z-Wave.Me USB stick. I think they work with Smartthings also as that has Z-Wave built in.

Have a spare Pi or two. A nice project for bah humbug

Have a spare Pi or two. A nice project for bah humbug

Take a look as HASS.io. It’s free home automation that runs on a Pi I think. Again you’ll need a USB Z-Wave stick and I recommend the Z-Wave.Me one from Amazon UK. Make sure and buy all your Z-Wave kit in Europe as it’s on a different frequency than the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

Would these smart plugs be suitable for a convector heater? I think it is 3000kwh and would just be used to warm up a room intermittently during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

dakid wrote: »
    Would these smart plugs be suitable for a convector heater? I think it is 3000kwh and would just be used to warm up a room intermittently during the night.

How do you intend to use it exactly? For switching on remotely or for timed on/off these things work fine, providing the device you which to use with it has a simple on button/mode than can be left in the on position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

The two I have in use are in the attached images. One (Node 3) is monitoring the AV processor and dual power amps. In this case I'm just tracking it's usage against the Nvidia Shield so I can shut down the AVP and amps when not in use.

The other (Node 4) is controlling the 3 sets of outdoor LED Christmas lights. The second image shows how I have it set up in HomeSeer to switch the lights on an hour after sunset and off 6 hours after sunset.

Don't post to ireland... Did you use Parcel Motel?
    Thanks

Advertisement