Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best smart Socket/Plug

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Picked up a TP link plug today. Using it to schedule my dehumidifier to come on/off during the night.

Very simple to set up and it's works with Google home which is great!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Picked up a TP link plug today. Using it to schedule my dehumidifier to come on/off during the night.

Very simple to set up and it's works with Google home which is great!

Be very careful using smart plugs with dehumidifiers, it can seriously damage them depending on type!

Some dehumidifiers require a few minutes "cooling down" period before you can unplug them. As in you should never switch them off at the wall, instead you press the "off" button on the dehumidifier first, which puts it into a "cooling down" mode for a few minutes before switching off fully.

If you don't do this cooling down time, then you could quickly damage the dehumidifier.

So make sure to check the instructions in your dehumidifiers manual first.

I was going to use a smart plug with my dehumidifier too, but can't for this reason. Just FYI for anyone thinking of using smart plugs in this manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

^ Thanks for that - I wouldn't have even checked!
    No such restrictions thankfully - it's working like a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Mach Two

I am looking for a smart socket. Something that will switch on/off a socket remotely using mobile preferably. There seems to be so many gadgets out there that I don't know what does what.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mach Two wrote: »
    I am looking for a smart socket. Something that will switch on/off a socket remotely using mobile preferably. There seems to be so many gadgets out there that I don't know what does what.

If you are just looking for one, then the TP Link HS100 should work well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

At their most basic, they allow you to turn on and off sockets remotely. This requires they are connected to the internet via a wireless signal. They usually allow you to set up scheduled on/off times and timers.

More advanced smart sockets allow you to monitor energy usage in addition.

I only have the TP link HS100 and HS110 sockets which are a basic smart socket and energy monitoring socket respectively.

At their most basic, they allow you to turn on and off sockets remotely. This requires they are connected to the internet via a wireless signal. They usually allow you to set up scheduled on/off times and timers.

More advanced smart sockets allow you to monitor energy usage in addition.

Would a socket with a basic timer be as good so.

Would a socket with a basic timer be as good so.

Depends what you are trying to do. If a simple schedule will do, that is fine.

The advantage of these sort of plugs is that you can also control them if you are out and about from your phone.

They can also do things like only start the schedule if you are actually out. If you are home, then they don't do the schedule. Plus setting them up via phone app just tends to be easier and easier to adjust (adjusting the schedule based on time of year, etc.).

But then they are more expensive, so it depends really on what you want/need and willing to spend.

bk wrote: »
    Depends what you are trying to do. If a simple schedule will do, that is fine.

The advantage of these sort of plugs is that you can also control them if you are out and about from your phone.

They can also do things like only start the schedule if you are actually out. If you are home, then they don't do the schedule. Plus setting them up via phone app just tends to be easier and easier to adjust (adjusting the schedule based on time of year, etc.).

But then they are more expensive, so it depends really on what you want/need and willing to spend.

Should I be going down the Alexa/echo dot route to future proof.

Should I be going down the Alexa/echo dot route to future proof.

Well the above mentioned mentioned TP Link Plugs work natively and very well with both Google Home and Alexa. It is one of the things that makes them a good advanced choice.

It is cool, to be able to say "Hey Google, turn off christmas lights"

But again, the HS100 costs £25 while a simple timer switch costs about £5 or so.

So it all depends on what you want to do and spend.

I should say I haven't found much use for smart plugs. I use one HS110 to monitor the power usage of different devices and I'm moving it around to get a feel for different devices. I can see using it at xmas for the tree lights.

But the rest of the year I already have Hue smart lights and Logitech remote for controlling the TV/AV gear. So I haven't really found a big need for it. But of course that depends from person to person.

BTW I also bought 3 MiHome smart plugs and hub, but I don't really recommend it now.

• Advertisement

If I am out of the country will the TP link plugs function remotely.

If I am out of the country will the TP link plugs function remotely.

Yes, as long as your mobile has a data signal, either 3G/4G roaming or connected to a hotel/cafe wifi, etc.

That is an important use case for my Smart lights and IP cameras, to make the place look lived in and keep an eye on it remotely while abroad.

Yes, as long as your mobile has a data signal, either 3G/4G roaming or connected to a hotel/cafe wifi, etc.

That is an important use case for my Smart lights and IP cameras, to make the place look lived in and keep an eye on it remotely while abroad.

Can you elaborate on your smart lights and IP cameras please.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,982 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks, why do the Belkin Wemo's cost so much more than the likes of the TP Link plugs? I bought a TP Link HS100 last week and I'm wondering if I've bought into the wrong product.

Thanks.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Folks, why do the Belkin Wemo's cost so much more than the likes of the TP Link plugs? I bought a TP Link HS100 last week and I'm wondering if I've bought into the wrong product.

Thanks.

Can't speak for the Wemo products, but what makes you think the HS100 is the wrong product? What are you trying to achieve with it?

Can't speak for the Wemo products, but what makes you think the HS100 is the wrong product? What are you trying to achieve with it?

Oh I'm still waiting on it to arrive so no complaints as such. We've a five month old daughter so the plan is to use this with an electric heater for set periods at night when it gets cold. So for example, it might come on at 3am for 20 minutes then turn off, on again at 4:30 for 20 mins.

I know I won't need a complicated plug for that. I'm really just curious as to what's in the Wemo that it's twice the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Thanks.

Belkin were pretty early into the market AFAIR, perhaps they're just established a bit longer. If anything the Belkin app (on Android) while much improved is still contrary, you're probably as well off with the TP Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Oh I'm still waiting on it to arrive so no complaints as such. We've a five month old daughter so the plan is to use this with an electric heater for set periods at night when it gets cold. So for example, it might come on at 3am for 20 minutes then turn off, on again at 4:30 for 20 mins.

I know I won't need a complicated plug for that. I'm really just curious as to what's in the Wemo that it's twice the price.

For something that like you need to check out that the plug can handle the load from the heater - both the TP Link and the Belkin plugs are rated to just 15A.

dazberry wrote: »
    For something that like you need to check out that the plug can handle the load from the heater - both the TP Link and the Belkin plugs are rated to just 15A.

Frck.... I never knew I had to take that into consideration. It's the heater below which I guess is now out of the question:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Daewoo-Branded-Convector-Heater-2000w/dp/B01MRQK1AE

Wemo was one of the first smart plugs out and had support for Alexa/GHome etc. from the start, while when TP Link first came out it could only be controlled from the app. Since then TP Link has matured, with Ghome, Alexa, etc. support and is now a good mid-price option with one major advantage over the Wemo (The wemo defaults to off after a power outage, the TP-Link defaults to the last state, like it should).

• Advertisement

Can you elaborate on your smart lights and IP cameras please.

Philips Hue Smart lights. They require a hub but are VERY good. Can be remotely controlled, set to come on based on timers, movement, sunset/sunrise timers, etc. They are LED lights that come in all the normal bulb sizes. Can come in white only, white ambiance and colour (can make your lights lots of interesting colours). Also come in various lamps, light strips, motion detectors, switches, etc.

IP Cameras are just cameras which you can remotely view what is happening back at home. They can also usually notify you if they detect movement at home when you are out. There are many good options, I've a Logitech Circle camera.

IP Cameras are just cameras which you can remotely view what is happening back at home. They can also usually notify you if they detect movement at home when you are out. There are many good options, I've a Logitech Circle camera.

If I may bk, I have a very specific question about the Logitech camera's if I may.

Currently I have two of these and two of these. They are perfectly satisfactory and I can live with their issues, however they have one issue which has seen me take them down and put them in a drawer as it's been driving the missus crazy at night time. When the scene outside changes, let's say the picture the camera sees goes from dark to light (a porch light coming on or a car coming into view with headlights on), the lens inside the camera clicks as it's adjusting. Not a problem for me but with herself being a light sleeper it's enough to wake her up.

Do the Circle's have this issue? It'd be a waste for me to spend that sort of money if they have the same problem.

Yes the circles also make this clicking sound. It is when they are switching between night time mode. In my case it only seems to happen in the morning when it get bright, but obviously it may differ for you.

Yes the circles also make this clicking sound. It is when they are switching between night time mode. In my case it only seems to happen in the morning when it get bright, but obviously it may differ for you.

Ah feck, hmnn I think my only option then is to place one outside... which is naturally a pain in the behind. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

dazberry wrote: »

I think it is actually rated at 13A , same as the socket it plugs into.
    If the heater works fine in a normal socket then there should be no issue using the tp-link smart plug. If you read the instructions, it is recommended for small portable heaters.
    13A @ 220V is 2.8KW. So a 2.5KW or less heater would have a good margin

Philips Hue Smart lights. They require a hub but are VERY good. Can be remotely controlled, set to come on based on timers, movement, sunset/sunrise timers, etc. They are LED lights that come in all the normal bulb sizes. Can come in white only, white ambiance and colour (can make your lights lots of interesting colours). Also come in various lamps, light strips, motion detectors, switches, etc.

When you say the Philips light requires a hub can you elaborate. Also which Logitech circle camera are you using and the approximate cost of same. I see there are motion detection cameras available. How reliable are they.

When you say the Philips light requires a hub can you elaborate. Also which Logitech circle camera are you using and the approximate cost of same. I see there are motion detection cameras available. How reliable are they.

It needs a hub, a device you plug into your router, that all the Hue lights in your home then connect to. Quite common for a lot of home automation tech. You can buy packs that include both the hub and some bulbs to go with it. You only need one hub.

I've the first gen Circle camera, cost £70 in a sale, but they are usually more expensive. If your interested you should wait for the Black Firday sales.

Motion detection on them is excellent IME.

And with the camera do I go wired,wirefree or I see there is one that is plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Need a smart plug for the Christmas tree lights. I don't need to worry about ampage.

Would like Alexa control and be able to set schedules.

Would rather not have to get a hub. Any recommendations? The cheaper the better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

If anyone's after a z-wave plug I'm liking the Aeotec Smart Switch 6. I'm still figuring it out but seemed to integrate into HomeSeer fairly easily.

Advertisement