Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best smart Socket/Plug

Options
  • 24-11-2016 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Looking for a little advice from those in the know. Want to pick up a smart plug, was thinking demo, but is there a better one to go for ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Are you looking for ones that replace existing socket boxes that you wire into the wall or ones that you plug in to an existing socket?

I think Wemo are the boys to go for in the latter case. Think I saw them recommended in another thread today.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101764497&postcount=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,323 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Patww79 wrote: »
    I tried to buy Wemo today but Amazon will only sell them to Prime subscribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

The TP Link are on sale at 16:50 but out of stock so not sure if to hold out or just go for the Wemo....Checked around could not find decent price and DID are out of stock
    Not collecting Echo and Dot till 2 weeks so may resist the temptation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Ended up going for a wemo in the end. It was on offer for £30 so picked it up for the Xmas tree & then after Xmas the wife can use it for her GHD because she's always calling me to go back and make sure it's unplugged.

Can't really think of another use for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bought a Wemo four years ago. Very handy cos we had a newborn, so in order to sort out feeds you needed to make sure you had freshly boiled water. So we'd set up the kettle and the wemo whenever we left the house and could trigger it to boil when we were on the way back. Or in the middle of the night without having to get out of bed.

Only problem is the kettle's automatic switch-off, so you could only ever boil it once, then you'd have to reset.

I like your idea - I think I'll use it this year to control the Xmas tree lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Just cancelled the wemo & went for the mihome bundle instead. difference of £20 but I can add TRVs at a later date. Also comes with a remote which will be handy for the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Sorry to hijack but I thought I'd try keep this question in the smart plugs thread....

I've got Philips hue lights (with hub) on the way and I've got a nest thermostat and also two Logitech smart remotes.
    What I'm wondering is what is the best smart plug to go for?
    Is there any that would work with these so that I could control via one place?

Btw I'm getting a Google home for Christmas so that would probably be the main control point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

"seamus wrote: »

Only problem is the kettle's automatic switch-off, so you could only ever boil it once, then you'd have to reset.

But wouldn't you also have to refill the kettle anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It also supports IFTTT and that seems to work extremely reliably IME. So any plug that has support for IFTTT. The Wemo plugs do and considered one of the best.

The Energenie plugs (needs a hub) does too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can set three different phrases to use and I find it reliable.

Google is opening up their API to third parties in December, so I suspect there will be a flood of supported devices then.

Do remember that GH is like then 2 months old!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    It also supports IFTTT and that seems to work extremely reliably IME. So any plug that has support for IFTTT. The Wemo plugs do and considered one of the best.

bk wrote:
    The Energenie plugs (needs a hub) does too.

Just on another note. To highlight again the lightwaverf IFTTT channel supports events .

So you can call a number of functions.
    Like a number of sockets, timers, fittings etc. Very handy if you want a socket to turn on and then off 2 minutes later with one single command

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Patww79 wrote:

The others could add those to their channel at any time though

Stoner wrote: »
    Just on another note. To highlight again the lightwaverf IFTTT channel supports events .

So you can call a number of functions.
    Like a number of sockets, timers, fittings etc. Very handy if you want a socket to turn on and then off 2 minutes later with one single command

Yeah, when I mentioned wemo and energenie above, I hadn't realised yet that lightwave had also added IFTTT support. Great to see it, makes lightwaverf a very strong contender.

I'd love to see them add Yonomi support too, it is the next step up from IFTTT.

Patww79 wrote:
    I'd hate to have to fit a new build out with this stuff through. It would be about 20 purchase orders and delays etc .

Imagine the handover !!!

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote:

If the socket or switch is on a brick or solid wall it's unlikely that they will fit without some work as the box might be too shallow.

On partition walls you should be fine.

You've a better chance with sockets . Standard socket boxes are 25mm but switches are only 16mm.

I've sockets in brick walls with 25mm back boxes as the plaster work built it out, but not light switches.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The TP Link HS100's are back in stock in argos, but they are back up at their original price of €35 http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6254269/Trail/searchtext%3ETP+LINK+WIFI+PLUG.htm

They are on Amazon uk for £25 but they dont ship to Ireland so youd have to use parcel motel. https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Control-Anywhere-HS100-UK/dp/B01I3ZCBFK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480605182&sr=8-2&keywords=smart+wifi+plug+echo

Should we set up a "Bargain Alerts" thread for Home Automation stuff?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Zascar wrote: »

Absolutely

HABA - Home Automation Bargain Alerts

A few people have already missed things through the bargains being spread over the sub-forum.

I'd also vote for no chat in the HABA thread so subscribers only get the bargains.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Getting a smart plug has all of a sudden become top priority, I can't live with the thought of having to walk over and bend down to turn off the Christmas tree.

Damn you boards, you have already cost me more than enough over the last week

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Zascar wrote: »
    The TP Link HS100's are back in stock in argos, but they are back up at their original price of €35 http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6254269/Trail/searchtext%3ETP+LINK+WIFI+PLUG.htm

They are on Amazon uk for £25 but they dont ship to Ireland so youd have to use parcel motel. https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Control-Anywhere-HS100-UK/dp/B01I3ZCBFK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480605182&sr=8-2&keywords=smart+wifi+plug+echo

They're still €20 with PowerCity if you buy online... just picked up another 4 today ;) I'm pretty sure I could get a wrapper in here and turn the house into a disco with the lights if the voice recognition and keep up with the plug namings :)

• Advertisement

[url]Http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=20-27-HS100&action=moreinfo[/url]

Good find thanks. I now need to decide between these and going down the the Energnie starter back route. Any advice?

Advertisement