Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best smart Socket/Plug

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

How have people set up thier homes as far as smart plugs are concerned? Considering purchasing the TP Links.

Other than lamps and Christmas lights, what are people using them for? I have an Echo Dot on the way, hoping for some integration there.

Bought a bunch of TP Link HS100s (when they were 20 each) and have them integrated with Alexa. Lamps, christmas lights, fish tank lights etc. Have them in groups also in Alexa..... "Alexa turn off the downstairs lights".... turns off Christmas stuff, few lamps and fish tank.

Keeping an eye out for decent dimming smart light switches

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

So what are the best smart plugs that are Echo compatiable? In terms of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Back on topic: I've picked up a couple of the Elgato Eve Energy ones which are designed to work with Apple HomeKit. They're a bit more pricey than the Wemo switches (and I've a couple of those too hooked up to HomeKit) and they're...ok. They're bluetooth, so they'll definitely work even if the internet connection goes down but they're a little slow to turn on and off. The Wemo switches, being wifi, are instant. The trade off is that they work out of the box with an Apple ecosystem, which is worth it for me.

I've a handful of them set up in two different rooms for lamps, and grouping them together means one tap turns them all on in that particular room. I've also set up two for the electric blanket at this time of year, so the leaba is always toasty to get into at 2am :-)

If you keep an eye on online etc. you'll get TP Link HS100s circa €20/€25 each which are great value for money. Have 9 of them and they haven't missed a beat! love them... hope this helps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

kennM wrote: »
    If you keep an eye on online etc. you'll get TP Link HS100s circa €20/€25 each which are great value for money. Have 9 of them and they haven't missed a beat! love them... hope this helps.

Do you or anyone know if the HS100's continue to work if your internet goes down, but wifi stays up?

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Do you or anyone know if the HS100's continue to work if your internet goes down, but wifi stays up?

I believe they do... I can't be 100% sure though... I believe the schedules etc. are stored locally.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I believe they do... I can't be 100% sure though... I believe the schedules etc. are stored locally.

The reason I ask, is that it could be a handy way to reset your broadband router * without crawling under a cupboard, etc. if it goes down.

* Obviously assuming you have a separate broadband modem and wifi router and the wifi router is still up. I do, I find my wifi router to be super reliable (actually a nice TP Link one), the Virgin modem on the other hand!

bk wrote: »
    The reason I ask, is that it could be a handy way to reset your broadband router * without crawling under a cupboard, etc. if it goes down.

* Obviously assuming you have a separate broadband modem and wifi router and the wifi router is still up. I do, I find my wifi router to be super reliable (actually a nice TP Link one), the Virgin modem on the other hand!

First world problems... can I pay €20/€25 to get a new toy to save me from bending over one a week? lol.... it's important to keep in shape ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I've 5 or 6 Wemo Sockets now - mostly lights, aquarium and coffee machine.
    Wemo's are getting increasingly difficult to get and are now rarely on offer.

If I started getting TPLinks would these integrate with the Wemos for use with echo and google home etc.? Like for groupings?

Uriel. wrote: »
    I've 5 or 6 Wemo Sockets now - mostly lights, aquarium and coffee machine.
    Wemo's are getting increasingly difficult to get and are now rarely on offer.

If I started getting TPLinks would these integrate with the Wemos for use with echo and google home etc.? Like for groupings?

I believe so... they'd just show up under Smart Home in the Alexa App? If they're their then you can group them accordingly.

• Advertisement

First world problems... can I pay €20/€25 to get a new toy to save me from bending over one a week? lol.... it's important to keep in shape ;)

True, but in my case, I will point out that my router is buried behind a horrible tangle of cables and other computer gear on a server rack in my study, usually behind two full clothes upright horses. It is genuinely an utter pain to get at and restart the router and I usually knock something else off getting through all those cables. So yup paying €25 to reduce that annoyance can be well worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I have the TP link, Wemo and Energenie smart plugs. With TPlink and Wemo you can be sure they will turn on when required. Energenie I find unreliable. There is always an Xmas light somewhere that has not either come on or powered off. I would not recommend Energenie Smart plugs and Hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I bought 2 TP LINK 100s in powercity last week for €24.95 each and they work perfectly with Alexa

Alexa is new to me too and I didn't do any voice training (can't be bothered) and Alexa struggled a bit with a few names I chose for the plugs, until I decided I give both plugs whatever name and set them up under a new group called "Lights"

Everything has been perfect since :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

givecredit wrote: »
    I have the TP link, Wemo and Energenie smart plugs. With TPlink and Wemo you can be sure they will turn on when required. Energenie I find unreliable. There is always an Xmas light somewhere that has not either come on or powered off. I would not recommend Energenie Smart plugs and Hub.

I dunno..

I have TP Link 110's and Energenie
    I've had more issues with the TP Links when Alexa couldn't get them to respond. The Energenie in the same room has worked fine

But saying that i have an intermittent issue with one Energenie, but I think the distance may be the issue there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Unlike most on here using the echo, im trying to get all my stuff working with Apple home. Hue lights are grand, but it seems the elgato eve is the only plug that works with it. anyone else in the same boat and find any other plugs that work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Unlike most on here using the echo, im trying to get all my stuff working with Apple home. Hue lights are grand, but it seems the elgato eve is the only plug that works with it. anyone else in the same boat and find any other plugs that work?

Samsung smartthings plug works too.

You sure on that one, have you used it yourself? i see this on amazon.co.uk in the questions section about them..

Question: Does this work with Apple homekit

Answer: Yeah, kinda. There is a project to do it, but it's a separate server that should be installed on a raspberry pi for example.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have the TP Link HS100's and they are great but they have just stopped working several times. I've had to either plug them out and back in again, or get alexa to rediscover devices. Anyone else had this problem too?

Saying that I'd still recommend them and buy more..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭irelandrover

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I dunno..

I have TP Link 110's and Energenie
    I've had more issues with the TP Links when Alexa couldn't get them to respond. The Energenie in the same room has worked fine

But saying that i have an intermittent issue with one Energenie, but I think the distance may be the issue there.

the TP-link works about 1 in every 4 for me. ive actually plugged it out completely now. I wouldnt recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Doodah7

On the contrary I have three of them: 2xHS100 and 1xHS110 as well as a Wemo plug socket. All of them have been plugged in for about three weeks and all have been faultless so far. Not a single glitch. If there are issues, it is more likely with your router than the switches I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

Santa bringing e 3 or 4 Eglato Eve Sockets to use with Apple homekit...a bit pricier than a lot of the others on here...hoping they work well......will update when I've had a chance to play with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

You sure on that one, have you used it yourself? i see this on amazon.co.uk in the questions section about them..

Answer: Yeah, kinda. There is a project to do it, but it's a separate server that should be installed on a raspberry pi for example.

Ah apologies. Was thinking specifically about alexa. Glossed over the home kit bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Is that Homebridge? If so, it's a bit fiddly but not impossible. I've no coding experience or anything like that but got it set up. If you've an old Mac lying around it's a good way to use it.

I dunno , I'm just using the "home" app on my iPhone and iPads, one of the iPads is set as "always at home" and is used as hub so you can turn the lights on etc when you are out . It works great with hue lights but the only plug that seems to work is the elgeto eve. Which is Bluetooth controlled and a bit expensive to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I am starting to use the Aeon Labs Smart Switch 6.

I have it integrated currently with my Fibaro Home Center2 controller and am just using one at the moment to reboot my Sky box periodically as its hidden in a cabinet.

I plan to add more in the next sales to monitor dishwasher, washing machine and drier and notify family members when the cycle completes so they can be emptied. :)

Quick review here:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Zascar wrote: »
    I have the TP Link HS100's and they are great but they have just stopped working several times. I've had to either plug them out and back in again, or get alexa to rediscover devices. Anyone else had this problem too?

Saying that I'd still recommend them and buy more..

Mine are at that too, it's getting annoying at this stage, they work fine from the Kasa app though, so it's something got to do with the Alexa Skill I think..
    the TP-link works about 1 in every 4 for me. ive actually plugged it out completely now. I wouldnt recommend them.

Mine are failing about 1 in 4, I have the HS110's and am currently using them for the Energy Monitor function more now rather than turning on/off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Mine are at that too, it's getting annoying at this stage, they work fine from the Kasa app though, so it's something got to do with the Alexa Skill I think..

Mine are failing about 1 in 4, I have the HS110's and am currently using them for the Energy Monitor function more now rather than turning on/off

This mirrors my experience with HS100 and HS110s too. Kasa app *always* works, Alexa is really, really hit and miss.

If the app had the same issues, I'd look at wireless, but it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭irelandrover

the kasa app doesnt always work for me, ive just given up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've only had my HS100s for a week. I haven't used Kasa app, only for setup. Alexa switches the plugs on and off almost to perfection. I haven't had to touch the HS100 plugs at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Delighted to see wemo announce a new design for their smart plugs. Much smaller form factor. Hopefully they come to Europe later this year.

This was always a gripe I had with wemo, as you would lose a plug hole in each two gang socket

https://www.cnet.com/products/belkin-wemo-mini-wi-fi-smart-plug/preview/

Advertisement