Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best smart Socket/Plug

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I just got one of these from B&Q in airside for €20 (on offer from €30) and it's bloody brilliant!!!

DO you know if the mobile app talks directly to the devices or are commands sent via a g-home cloud service?

Any sign of IFTTT of an API?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Doodah7

wallaby72 wrote: »
    I'm not 100% certain but I'd check Woodies for the TP-Link HS110 too.
    I think they were at €29.99 when I looked last Friday and the HS100 was €24.99
    Their website of course doesn't list anything

HS100's are still €24.99 in Woodies as of this lunchtime.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Graham wrote: »
    DO you know if the mobile app talks directly to the devices or are commands sent via a g-home cloud service?

Any sign of IFTTT of an API?

I really don't know, (and to be honest, probably don't care), i tried it over wifi and 3g and the reaction was almost instantaneous over both connections.

as for IFTTT, again, I don't know, but with anything of this nature, it's probably only a matter of time.

for me its perfect, all I want/need is the timer function (via an app) & remote control over the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I just got one of these from B&Q in airside for €20 (on offer from €30) and it's bloody brilliant!!!

Its all I want a smart plug to be, no hub, on/off via the app (over Wifi & 3G), and a 7 day timer.

I think I'll immediately go back and pick up a few more at what is a fantastic price.

(I don't work for B&Q, or G-Homa, and I've only been using it for 5 minutes, but it does everything it needs to)

my folks got a couple of these last week. They're ok, suits their needs - replacing timers etc. for lights and christmas lights etc.

I did a bit of quick setup on their phone for them. The only thing I couldn't figure out and I didn't get time to investigate further, is if you can control from more than one app/phone. I cgot my dad's setup no problem but it wouldn't allow me to do same on my mam's phone.

It's hardly a case where its limited to one user for control is it?

Uriel. wrote: »
    my folks got a couple of these last week. They're ok, suits their needs - replacing timers etc. for lights and christmas lights etc.

I did a bit of quick setup on their phone for them. The only thing I couldn't figure out and I didn't get time to investigate further, is if you can control from more than one app/phone. I cgot my dad's setup no problem but it wouldn't allow me to do same on my mam's phone.

It's hardly a case where its limited to one user for control is it?

I've just put the app on my work iPhone, and can report full functionality is available to both iPhones now.

• Advertisement

I've just put the app on my work iPhone, and can report full functionality is available to both iPhones now.

did you need to create a separate account for the other phone, or just login with the existing account?

Uriel. wrote: »
    did you need to create a separate account for the other phone, or just login with the existing account?

just logged in with the same account I'd already set up, no problem,

I will put the app on her iPhone when she's home later as well,

just logged in with the same account I'd already set up, no problem,

I will put the app on her iPhone when she's home later as well,

cool cheers for that!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

tallpaul wrote: »

Did they have the 110 also?
    I like the Energy monitor function, don't think any other plugs do that, do they?

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I like the Energy monitor function, don't think any other plugs do that, do they?

No, not in Woodies in Lucan anyway and I specifically looked. They must have around fifteen of the HS100 though. There is no price on the shelf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

No, not in Woodies in Lucan anyway and I specifically looked. They must have around fifteen of the HS100 though. There is no price on the shelf.

They have them in Blanch by the till. Loads of both left this evening. €29.99 for HS110, €24.99 for HS100. I picked up two more HS100 :)
    3 in total with all the Christmas lights around the house on them. Have them on a schedule :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

large_46528_G-Homa-PLug.jpg

Its all I want a smart plug to be, no hub, on/off via the app (over Wifi & 3G), and a 7 day timer.

I think I'll immediately go back and pick up a few more at what is a fantastic price.

(I don't work for B&Q, or G-Homa, and I've only been using it for 5 minutes, but it does everything it needs to)

large_46528_G-Homa-PLug.jpg

I'll probably be picking up one or two of these tomorrow. Just one thing I've found from looking through reviews that you may not be aware of - these can have an issue where if you lose an active internet connection (like all over Ireland last night. Thanks, Virgin) they will stay in whatever on/off state they were in before the Internet cut out. It seems you have to go back into the app to get it back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Tazium

Those TPLinks HS100 and HS110 can be integrated to Apple's Homekit using a Homebridge plugin. I'll pick up a couple tomorrow. Simple use-case - Use Siri to turn on/off the Christmas tree coupled with location awareness for auto activation.

Link to the plugin - https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-hs100

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Tazium wrote: »
    Those TPLinks HS100 and HS110 can be integrated to Apple's Homekit using a Homebridge plugin. I'll pick up a couple tomorrow. Simple use-case - Use Siri to turn on/off the Christmas tree coupled with location awareness for auto activation.

Link to the plugin - https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-hs100

FYI these integrate natively with Amazon Echo and no bridge needed. Just enable skill and connect it to your Kasa (app) account.

Have them tied into mine... 100% recommend them

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah I go the TP Link HS 100's also and they are fantastic, definitely the one to go for

I have the HS110 and a few times it didn't respond to Alexa, needed to go to the Kasa app and turn it off/on and then it worked again.
    Straightforward, but annoying...

But glad it can be done remotely as the gf couldn't turn on the Christmas lights, I wasn't at home, but just opened the app and sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Do you know where exactly these were located in woodies lucan? Staff havent a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

I have the HS110 and a few times it didn't respond to Alexa, needed to go to the Kasa app and turn it off/on and then it worked again.
    Straightforward, but annoying...

But glad it can be done remotely as the gf couldn't turn on the Christmas lights, I wasn't at home, but just opened the app and sorted it.

This has happened to me a few times too!

Something not quiet right with the Alexa skill i think

Picked up another HS110 in Woodies Cork (Kinsale Road) today
    26.99 with my AXA Discount - Happy days :)

Loads left there if anyone in Cork is looking.

Just on the same note - I do have a Belkin WeMo on order from Amazon, not sure when it may be delivered, but I may as well cancel it now.

But a few questions for anyone with them

Any issues with Alexa?
    Does it monitor Energy usage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I'm having issues with connecting to the HS100 from any network that's not my own.
    I'm on sky Internet, I tried creating an exception for the routers firewall, and even turning the firewall off, I might be able to connect once over 4g but then it goes back to local wifi only.

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Just on the same note - I do have a Belkin WeMo on order from Amazon, not sure when it may be delivered, but I may as well cancel it now.

But a few questions for anyone with them

Any issues with Alexa?
    Does it monitor Energy usage?

I have 9 TP Link HS100s and they work fine with Alexa, without a hitch. I've also grouped them in Alexa. So I can say "Alexa turn off the lights downstairs" and she knocks off Christmas tree, sitting room lamp, fish tank light, etc.

Can ask her to turn on/off individuals too.

100% recommend them!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭wallaby72

I'm having issues with connecting to the HS100 from any network that's not my own.
    I'm on sky Internet, I tried creating an exception for the routers firewall, and even turning the firewall off, I might be able to connect once over 4g but then it goes back to local wifi only.

any ideas?

I had similar issues with a HS110 and I reserved an IP for it on my DHCP server. Since that it hasn't shown that "Local Wifi Only" message.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

I have tp link hs100 plugs.

Set up on 2 phones

1 phone has remote access plus local
    1 phone only has local

Different email address for each account but password is the same.

Does the plug only give remote access to 1 user?

degsie wrote: »
    Do you know where exactly these were located in woodies lucan? Staff havent a clue

In the same aisle as electrical sockets, mobile phone chargers and cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

In the same aisle as electrical sockets, mobile phone chargers and cables.

Cheers for that, found them. Was told earlier that they defiantly didn't have them :P

There was a mix of 100/110's.

degsie wrote: »
    Cheers for that, found them. Was told earlier that they defiantly didn't have them :P

There was a mix of 100/110's.

Were they mixed??? I just picked up one or two and they were HS100's so assumed they all were. Anyway I know have three of them (2 Hs100 and 1 HS110) as well as a wemo plug. Enough for now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

The HS100s are €25 in DID and Power City according to their websites

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

How have people set up thier homes as far as smart plugs are concerned? Considering purchasing the TP Links.

Other than lamps and Christmas lights, what are people using them for? I have an Echo Dot on the way, hoping for some integration there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

How have people set up thier homes as far as smart plugs are concerned? Considering purchasing the TP Links.

Other than lamps and Christmas lights, what are people using them for? I have an Echo Dot on the way, hoping for some integration there.

Just one connected to a lamp on a timer, gets no other use. Ive one spare now too which probably wont get use until I want to be able to turn another light on when im out.
    Any plugs I get in future will have to work with SmartThings.

Advertisement