Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do so many people seem to dislike their jobs.

Options
124»

Comments

Glico Man wrote: »
    I've been out of work for 2 months due to an injury. After about a week I was going stir crazy. Mainly due to being house ridden. Now, I've lost myself in books cos I don't know what else to do. If I'm off for much longer, I'll need a new hobby :/

It's awful being immobile, the cabin fever really gets to you.

Hope you're fully recovered and back in action soon. :)

Interview process:

This is the only bit of real power the guy who will be managing you has and so to make himself feel powerful, creates a difficult interview, with tests and scenario based exercises.

From the outside the company is rolling in dosh and is cosmopolitan, modern free thinking etc etc

On your first day, you use someone elses cup and are swiftly told, you have to bring your own cup. You cant use someone elses cup. Or its kindly suggested you bring your own cup because there is no dish washer and most of the cups there are plague central.

You spend about an hour per week filling out and getting your timesheet approved, but lateness to the tune of 6 minutes on wednesday is mentioned in your weekly meet with your manager.

Weekly meets with your manager.

Its Thursday, its 2pm, I've done all my work... but I have to remain here looking busy for the next 3 and a half hours.

Its Friday, its 9pm and due to some form of masochism you're still in the office because the weekly numbers 'dont look right' according to Mary in sector 7G.

Its almost like they design workplaces to be intolerable. Like some fat cat at the top said "And to add insult to injury, while my minions make me billions, I'll add a load of unnecessary rules and bureaucracy to their work day and piss them off further."

Candie wrote: »

I don't agree at all with the people who think nobody would work if they had the choice, I'd be bored out of my mind and not contributing in some way would be a very flat existence.

If my income was guaranteed I would do pro bono pen testing and security consulting. But I'd do one or two a week. I wouldnt continue to work 40 hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I worked 61 hours last week just to make ends meet. I think you will find a lot of people's circumstances won't let them work 30 or 20 hours a week.

My OH got a 10k bonus recently and will be doing well to see 4,800 of that, like its an absolute kicker.

This might not be of any use but If your OH's company is public traded / has shares then get the bonus in shares. You can withdraw up to you CGT allowance each year. You wouldn't get all the money in a lump sum but you would get it all.

The first 1,270 of an individual's annual gains is exempt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Rezident

For every one in their dream job that perfectly suits their skill set and that they are also passionate about there is the other 99% that are in jobs we just ended up in.

We are not passionate about them, we're in it for the money, which is unfulfilling.

job < career < mission

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Rezident wrote: »
    For every one in their dream job that perfectly suits their skill set and that they are also passionate about there is the other 99% that are in jobs we just ended up in.

We are not passionate about them, we're in it for the money, which is unfulfilling.

job < career < mission

And we have to listen to the HR bull**** that the company "cares" about its employees and that "Our employees are our strength."

Here's a tip for HR. Instead of giving me a €30 plaque saying I'm a great employee, how about giving me a payrise.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

"We are looking for somebody passionate about accounting". Piss off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

My job isn't what I planned to do, and isn't what I want to do as a career, but I like it. Most of my colleagues are lovely, I enjoy the actual work, and it's fast paced, which I like.

That said, I've had jobs that I absolutely despised. Realistically out of the six or seven jobs I've had since I was fifteen, this is only the third one I actually liked.

Sometimes you just take what you can get and stick it out for the money.

I like what I do now though and have lovely customers and colleagues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

For the first time in my life I can say that I don't hate my job. The work is fine but I will eventually be replaced by an amazon robot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

For the first time in my life I can say that I don't hate my job. The work is fine but I will eventually be replaced by an amazon robot.

You and about 60% of the workforce. The amount of people that don't see robotic automation coming is frightening. Massive tech advancements being made in that area. Will be a very different office place in 20 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I like my job

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Of course people don't like their jobs. Otherwise we wouldn't be paid to do them. You don't need to pay people to do things they like doing. Usually you charge them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

jester77 wrote: »
    I don't understand this being in a job you dislike. It is where you spend the best part of your day. Why settle for something you are not happy with? If you are not happy, then do something about it. Life is too short to be getting up everyday for the next 30-40 years and feeling miserable before you even get out of the bed. Feck that.

Because they can't get a better job, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Austria! wrote: »
    Because they can't get a better job, obviously.

That's a lazy excuse. A better job is not going to be handed to you, you need to put in time and effort.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I'm a doctor. I make a sh*t load of money and save lives every day. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maximus277

I just can't stand the fakeness of the workplace.

So many people walk on egg shells afraid of saying what they are really thinking.

I've never worked for a nice manager. They've all been assholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I love my job!!

Everything that geos with it....even the odd monotonous stuff.....love being able to fly through it to get to do interesting stuff

Out of 5 jobs I've had....I only had one really crap boss and hated my job there and wasn't heart broken to be made redundant/leavibg

Taught if giving up then and going to college.....glad I didn't now

For all those people what are trapped in jobs they hate by mortages/families etc....

i hope when the chance comes in the future to pursue what you enjoy....you take it....even if that's living a hippy/self sustaining lifestyle in tipperary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Having worked previously in construction during the boom I really appreciate not having to be out in the cold on these frosty mornings oh and not having to deal with insufferable assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Used to love my job, to the extent even with a lotto win i would have been hard pushed to give it up. Yes there were crap parts to it but it was in a company where you were appreciated, treated well and there was a genuine interest in a work life balance even if you could have earned more money elsewhere.

Redundancy was offered due to the fact they were being taken over by a rival company and i heard rumours of what the rival company were like to work for so i put my hand up but was denied, crucial part of the business blah blah.

Since the takeover its been a nightmare. Job has been changed to an extent now where the crap part of the job is all i do (all the other areas have been taken and given to contractors) and way way more of it, this is the part of the job where i get abuse both external and internal.Not only that but their new policies of doing things make it harder to get that part of the job done meaning more abuse.

All the work life balance stuff has gone out the window, the policy is "we pay you and thats it" only a concerted effort of employees coming together has prevented more of our previous perks being eroded. Senior members of the new company have made it clear they would be happy if we all walked and there is a concerted effort to try and effect that.

Some have walked, just had enough but people including myself have a lot of time built up and there is a resentment built up due to the fact we have asked for redundancy previously and being denied. There is a huge bitterness and stubborness built up.

Its actually a horrible place to work, people are miserable and some days i think f-it, its just not worth it. The thing is you could almost take it if the new systems and ways of doing things were actually a success and were helping to make the company a successful one but theyre not, quite the opposite in fact.

Anyway another day of work beckons, in the old days id be in work now if i was in the office having a meet up over breakfast before work officially started or getting a bit extra done, same at home making myself available in the evening to answer queries if an email came in on my phone, again I dont do overnight stays when im expected to travel the length and breath of the country as its too hard to get your expenses paid, strictly 9 to 5 now with the hour taken at lunchtime and emails on the phone gone. Everyone else is the same.

• Advertisement

Glico Man wrote: »
    I have to work with the general public in the hospitality industry. I can take the hours, I can take being on my feet for 9+ hours a day. I can take a lot of things, but people... rude people I can't stand.

Most people are great, friendly and even some smile, but you'll always get one or two people that everything is wrong for them. They make me hate my job more often than not. It genuinely makes me annoyed, and ruins my day when someone like that comes along.

Their drink is flat even though its clearly not, food not cooked right when I can clear as day see its fine, complain to me about things that have nothing to do with me or my department, and complain further when I seek someone that can deal with their complaint. I've been personally called out in a Trip Advisor review for being "too friendly" when dealing with a complaint (I can't even fathom that one).

One customer was enquiring about a new beer we had on tap, and I offered to let him try it. He said he liked it and bought a pint. 2/3s drank he comes back to the bar and says he doesn't like it and wants to change it for something else. I explain that he's already drank most of the pint, but he wasn't having any of it and asked to speak to the manager.

People try to get a free meal by eating everything and then complaining at the end of the meal that it was too cold. They didn't realize that if you talk and chat for 10 minutes before eating your food (I did personally check the table twice in this time), it does tend to lose its temperature. They get argumentative because I won't comp them anything.

I've had people come into the restaurant with a voucher a year past its expiry date and get mad at me for not accepting it. Even though I offered them a discount due to not being able to accept the voucher they asked to speak to the manager :confused:

Fcuk those types of people tbh... ruin my day, other members of staff's day, other guests meals/time/meetings etc...
    I hate people and I don't really have to deal with many. :pac: I do my best if I'm interacting with someone in a (usually) crappy job not to be an arsehole. Generally it's not a waitress's fault if food is crap and it's not the poor ****er at the end of a phone's fault that my internet is down. :P
    ligerdub wrote: »
    "We are looking for somebody passionate about accounting". Piss off.
    My mate got that a few years ago but it was a job cleaning up after functions. So he wasn't passionate enough about the prospect of scrubbing pots and pans. That was after his second interview for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

the kelt wrote: »
    Used to love my job, to the extent even with a lotto win i would have been hard pushed to give it up. Yes there were crap parts to it but it was in a company where you were appreciated, treated well and there was a genuine interest in a work life balance even if you could have earned more money elsewhere.

Redundancy was offered due to the fact they were being taken over by a rival company and i heard rumours of what the rival company were like to work for so i put my hand up but was denied, crucial part of the business blah blah.

Since the takeover its been a nightmare. Job has been changed to an extent now where the crap part of the job is all i do (all the other areas have been taken and given to contractors) and way way more of it, this is the part of the job where i get abuse both external and internal.Not only that but their new policies of doing things make it harder to get that part of the job done meaning more abuse.

All the work life balance stuff has gone out the window, the policy is "we pay you and thats it" only a concerted effort of employees coming together has prevented more of our previous perks being eroded. Senior members of the new company have made it clear they would be happy if we all walked and there is a concerted effort to try and effect that.

Some have walked, just had enough but people including myself have a lot of time built up and there is a resentment built up due to the fact we have asked for redundancy previously and being denied. There is a huge bitterness and stubborness built up.

Its actually a horrible place to work, people are miserable and some days i think f-it, its just not worth it. The thing is you could almost take it if the new systems and ways of doing things were actually a success and were helping to make the company a successful one but theyre not, quite the opposite in fact.

Anyway another day of work beckons, in the old days id be in work now if i was in the office having a meet up over breakfast before work officially started or getting a bit extra done, same at home making myself available in the evening to answer queries if an email came in on my phone, again I dont do overnight stays when im expected to travel the length and breath of the country as its too hard to get your expenses paid, strictly 9 to 5 now with the hour taken at lunchtime and emails on the phone gone. Everyone else is the same.

Sounds tough mate. Why not look for something else? They sound like they don't want you (or anyone else) there so why give them the pleasure of your company...chances are a new place, the right one, will be much better.

Then again I know how hard it is to leave the familiar even if you hate it, I've been there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

the kelt wrote: »

Was in that situation before. They want you to leave. It's tough but your better to move on. Loads of opportunities out there at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I'm a doctor. I make a sh*t load of money and save lives every day. It's great.

The first part of that statement immediately informs me that you're not a doctor :D
    The second bit is true though.

Advertisement