Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do so many people seem to dislike their jobs.

Options
  • 21-11-2016 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭

Discounting issue like working for horrible people other than that why do so many people seem to dislike or even hate their jobs that's my though of the day anyway:P, another funny one is reading ( on boards ) about an individuals who want to change career in to a job that some other individual (on boards) wants to get out of!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mariaalice wrote: »
    Discounting issue like working for horrible people other than that why do so many people seem to dislike or even hate their jobs that's my though of the day anyway:P, another funny one is reading ( on boards ) about an individuals who want to change career in to a job that some other individual (on boards) wants to get out of!!!

Horses for courses.

Dealing with the public is one of the hardest jobs one will ever hace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Because most jobs are shite

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Most people aren't good enough to do what they'd really like to would be the main reason I think.

Who really wants to work anyway? It's a need not a desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Also pressure to earn a good salary to provide for their families can lead to people being trapped in a stable and secure yet soul destroying job.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Most jobs are boring and repetitive toil in which the worker feels undervalued and dispensable. That and **** money while the man creams it in on it back of your labour.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

stimpson wrote: »
    Because most jobs are shite

For sure. There are probably jobs I wouldn't mind doing too much, but the pay cut to do so wouldn't be a viable option and that would bring different pressures.

Most people probably hate (or dislike somewhat) their jobs because they autopilot through life without really considering what they might like and enjoy doing while they are young enough to do so.

I'm still holding out for the big lotto win at this point, but I feel that not doing the lotto might be a slight wrinkle in that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

There's an old saying: 'You don't quit your job, you quit your manager'.

I think that's true for a lot of people (and has been true for me in the past). The work itself isn't always the main reason for being miserable in a job, it's often your manager or the way the company/team/project is run that frustrates the life out of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I was promoted in September which means a lot less contact with the public, I assume that helps but in general, I love my job :)

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Also pressure to earn a good salary to provide for their families can lead to people being trapped in a stable and secure yet soul destroying job.

Meh, this pushes me to work harder to get that promotion, to earn more and provide for myself and family. But I do see your point.

maudgonner wrote: »
    There's an old saying: 'You don't quit your job, you quit your manager'.

I think that's true for a lot of people (and has been true for me in the past). The work itself isn't always the main reason for being miserable in a job, it's often your manager or the way the company/team/project is run that frustrates the life out of you.

A good manager/colleagues can make a good job great too

• Advertisement

Spam spam spam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Because they're incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I work in a pre school and I love my job. It's not a crèche so not dealing with babies (I wouldn't have the patience!) but with three and a half to four and a half year olds. It's great and even though some days can be repetitive the children always bring their own thing to the day. I never dread going in. I can't picture what it would be like now to be stuck in a job for money reasons. It must be soul destroying. Having to stay so as to pay bills and support a family. I hope I continue to feel the same way until I finally finish .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I actually enjoy my job, it's the bureaucracy and inertia from management that I can't stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

mariaalice wrote: »

I'll just talk about office jobs and from my observations. Just a few here.

1) Some people are overqualified to do the current job they are in. So many people have degrees and Masters but a hell of a lot of office jobs out there could be done by a school leaver with an ECDL and a few months training. This means their skills are not being utilised to their full potential.

2) People "fall" into careers/jobs. When younger, people can sometimes end up in a job that they never saw as a career, get comfortable, and before they know it 10 years has gone by and they are now, so they believe, stuck on a career path they never intended. In a field they have grown to despise.

3) Companies, particularly Irish ones and even some multi-nationals, won't pay for training so people get stuck in a rut. They are then expected to shell out thousands themselves to upskill - this can be difficult if you have a young family.

I am not exonerating individual responsibility here at all. It is up to the individual whether or not they want to stay in a job they ****ing hate or take a risk and try something new. Easy if you are single with no responsibilities...less so if you have a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

Ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Love my job. For a change now

Ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.

Yeah?

Not anymore.

Today is now the best day of your life after watching that. You're welcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I have a good salary and job security but I have zero sense of purpose from my job, and if I didn't ever go back there I wouldn't miss anything about it. Combined with having no kids (not that I want any) approaching 40 it's kind of hard sometimes as you wonder what the f**k you're on the planet for! I understand a job like mine would be great if you were supporting a family etc but I kind of envy people who go to work every day facing challenges they really enjoy. In saying that I appreciate the good life this job affords me.
    I wonder how many people are actually satisfied with their work, probably a very small percentage of folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

I love the work I do. But not the people I work for. They want more money, which means working us harder. Tis not very pleasant :D I always look at it like ants, we're the workers lining their pockets and making their lives easier.

I've only met one person in my whole life that was born to do the job they do. My son's teacher. I have never met a teacher like her before. Her interest in her job and caring for her pupils is so very sweet. I imagine she loves going to work. Though it could be a front and she has a bottle of vodka under the desk and meets the principal round the back for a quickie at break time :D

• Advertisement

I have a good salary and job security but I have zero sense of purpose from my job, and if I didn't ever go back there I wouldn't miss anything about it. Combined with having no kids (not that I want any) approaching 40 it's kind of hard sometimes as you wonder what the f**k you're on the planet for! I understand a job like mine would be great if you were supporting a family etc but I kind of envy people who go to work every day facing challenges they really enjoy. In saying that I appreciate the good life this job affords me.
    I wonder how many people are actually satisfied with their work, probably a very small percentage of folk.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/productivity-at-work-2027281-Apr2015/

16% of Irish workers are engaged at work, 64% not engaged and 20% so pissed off they are actively disengaged.

As the article states:
    In other words, 64% of employees lack motivation and are less likely to invest discretionary effort in the company’s objectives and 20% are unhappy and unproductive at work which means they are liable to spread a negative attitude to their colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

I used to like my job. But it's one that is what it is, and there are no promotion or payrise prospects, it's a single level job.
    Ten years in and I'm so so bored, it's a long time since I met a new challenge or faced a new problem.
    Only thing keeping me there is the fact that I'm prerty good at it after all that time, and I wouldn't earn the same if I changed careers to something new.
    I need to make a big scary leap of faith into the unknown for the sheer hell of it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I actually have promotion prospects, but I've actively avoided them because it will just mean more responsibilities for the same type of work that doesn't interest me in the slightest. I'd get a few grand put on my salary but I don't really need the money tbh.

s4uv3 wrote: »
    I used to like my job. But it's one that is what it is, and there are no promotion or payrise prospects, it's a single level job.
    Ten years in and I'm so so bored, it's a long time since I met a new challenge or faced a new problem.
    Only thing keeping me there is the fact that I'm prerty good at it after all that time, and I wouldn't earn the same if I changed careers to something new.
    I need to make a big scary leap of faith into the unknown for the sheer hell of it :)

Same here. The career I am in now has probably 5, maybe 10 years, before it is completely obsolete.

This book is a great read:

https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Robots-Technology-Threat-Jobless/dp/0465097537

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Spudgun

i work in retail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

Took a huge pay cut to take up the job im in now. Yeah i'll have feck all saved or any pension to speak of besides the state pension when i retire but im time rich now and my job involves zero stress. I spend loads of time doing the things i love like mountain walking, riding my motorbike and spending time with my kids. Most important im happy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Michael James: Did you find a job?

Victor Skakapopulis: Yeah, I got something at the striptease. I help the girls dress and undress.

Michael James: Nice job.

Victor Skakapopulis: Twenty francs a week.

Michael James: Not very much.

Victor Skakapopulis: It's all I can afford.

- Woody Allen

Such is the state of the world that if there was a job that people enjoyed there would be an attempt to monetised so that people would have to pay to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Getting up early is the real killer. My job would be grand if it was from 12-1 Wednesday-Fri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

People only really like their jobs if it's something they get intrinsic pleasure from, the likes of Lionel Messi or Kanye West for example, what they do is what they are, I've always wanted to be a Train Driver but haven't had any luck in getting it but know for certain I'd want to get up at 04.30 on a rainy Tuesday in February to do it for similar reasons.

There is however, a type of specimen whom I call 'the worko' who wants to be part of the soap opera and all it's attendant B.S in an office/call centre/factory etc, these people are as happy and relaxed in these places as they would be in a pub or at home with their families, being 'at work in a place of work' doesn't seem to affect or alter their personalities in any way, their faces fit and they get on well at work even if their not promoted.

They also wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they didn't have a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

I used to hate working back when I had no choice financially but to work.
    Now I'm in a position where I could afford not to work if I wanted and I couldn't imagine quitting.
    Maybe that's just my contrary nature but I do think that having no choice in the matter puts people in the wrong frame of mind.

I wouldn't say I actually like my current job but I have plans to go back to university and retrain within the next few years so I can put up with it.
    The next job will be the dream one!

Advertisement