Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do so many people seem to dislike their jobs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

robbiezero wrote: »
    Some people just dislike working 40 hours a week every week. I would be one of them, my job is ok, it's probably as good as it could be. But even my favourite hobby, I wouldn't like to have to do it for 40 hours a week every week.
    Most office drones probably feel that way at least sometimes.

No one is forced to work 40 hours a week, if you find it too much then work 30 or 20 hours a week.

jester77 wrote: »
    No one is forced to work 40 hours a week, if you find it too much then work 30 or 20 hours a week.
    I'll tell my boss you said so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

I like my job, but the second them magic balls come up I'm off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Nope. I need the money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

I like my job, but the second them magic balls come up I'm off!!!

Yeah I read it after I posted it, sure y'all know I mean Lotto right ??!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Hated most of the jobs I had. So I raised investment, started my own company and haven't looked back.

If you're not happy in what you're doing, then get out. Life is too short to be miserable.

Same as myself, cant be all the jobs.. must be me :(

What were you doing and what are you doing now..? You actually like it, or more so enjoy being your own boss?

Thinking of doing something similar myself, still dont have any good ideas though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Oodoov wrote: »
    Took a huge pay cut to take up the job im in now. Yeah i'll have feck all saved or any pension to speak of besides the state pension when i retire but im time rich now and my job involves zero stress. I spend loads of time doing the things i love like mountain walking, riding my motorbike and spending time with my kids. Most important im happy.

Good for you (wo)man.
    I'd imagine it's a huge step to do that so fair play to you for following through.

My job would be great if there was any kind of support or decent management, which their isn't.
    Having said that, it's close to home, so no commute to Dublin every day, and the pay is decent. I'd say i'm 51% happy in my job!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'll tell my boss you said so.

If it makes you happier then go for it. Lots of my team are working 80% and 90%, there are even a few working 50% so they can spend more time with their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Its also because of the constant devaluation of our salaries by inflation.

No employer will give an inflation pay change every single year, let alone another few % on top of that to account for you being experienced and a well performing employer.

Unfortunately the only way to outpace inflation is to find a new job every few years.
    We don't live in a world where you can be a loyal employee anymore.

My employer does this. Annual increment (<5% outside of promotions) plus bonus. I don't think this is uncommon for global companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

If it makes you happier then go for it. Lots of my team are working 80% and 90%, there are even a few working 50% so they can spend more time with their children.

I highly doubt that's the norm for most people. The majority of people work because they need an income. The majority would work full time because again, they need the income. Cutting your hours by 10-50% cuts your income and most cannot afford it.

The old "if you're not happy, quit" line is horsesh!t too. Unfortunately not everyone will love their job. I do love my job but there are definitely jobs I would prefer, unfortunately I'm either not qualified, experienced or in a position to make any meaningful change at the moment. Again, same as most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I have what most people would describe as a good job for someone with a useful degree. It pays pretty well and because it's a massive multi national there's the potential to get promoted and earn more or move around the world doing the same work if I wanted. I don't hate it but tbh it's pretty dull. Also if I really want to move up I'm going to have to go back to college and do a masters which isn't something I want to do at all. Though I feel really bad complaining because a lot of my friends are either working jobs they hate, or can't get a job with the qualifications they have and are working near minimum wage jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I worked 61 hours last week just to make ends meet. I think you will find a lot of people's circumstances won't let them work 30 or 20 hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

I worked 61 hours last week just to make ends meet. I think you will find a lot of people's circumstances won't let them work 30 or 20 hours a week.

i do think a large part of peoples disillusionment in the last few years has been seeing how much of you're take home you loose in tax an the rising cost of everything kinda leaves you with not allot of fun money after rent bills etc. like 52% tax on a bonus is an absolute kicker in particular , you do your job you do it bloody well get rewarded accordingly and snap over half is taken before you even get it like.

My OH got a 10k bonus recently and will be doing well to see €4,800 of that, like its an absolute kicker.

My OH got a 10k bonus recently and will be doing well to see €4,800 of that, loyke its an absolute kicker.

Fixed that for you there:P

givyjoe wrote: »
    Fixed that for you there:P

Thought it was a fair point , hardly mad money and you loose so much of it in tax it's insane. serious kicker when you've put in the hours , the travel , worked weekends etc.. and then you lose over half, pure sickener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

My OH got a 10k bonus recently and will be doing well to see €4,800 of that, like its an absolute kicker.

****ing ouch. Seen this with a mate doing overtime in a company I used to work in. He did a 50 hour week to my 40 and didn't end up with that much more than me.

Thought it was a fair point , hardly mad money and you loose so much of it in tax it's insane. serious kicker when you've put in the hours , the travel , worked weekends etc.. and then you lose over half, pure sickener.

It is.. i was just having a laugh in that I imagined you saying it with a D4 Ross O'Carroll Kelly style accent, hence the loyke. Harmless fun:)

fizzypish wrote: »
    ****ing ouch. Seen this with a mate doing overtime in a company I used to work in. He did a 50 hour week to my 40 and didn't end up with that much more than me.

like don't get me wrong she has a great job and likes it but the tax is a serious pisser , like she earns €70k + an annual performance bonus and dividend from her stock options but gets hockey'd on the highest rate of tax on all of it. kinda sickening to see so much go out for so little return.Tbh she dost come out with much more overall from her basic then i do off my 50k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Quitting my old job was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
    Used to commute over 3hrs a day to a job I came to realise I hated. Constant pressure, unrealistic deadlines, didn't respect my boss.
    I was earning a lot of money, but ( and it took me years to realise this) I detested it.
    My longsuffering OH eventually convinced me to look for something different.
    Got offered a position in a company that's a 15 minute drive away a few months ago.
    Handing in my notice to my boss was one of the best feelings. It's a cliché, but it really was like a weight being lifted.
    I get to spend loads more time with my wife and kids now and my friends say that I seem so much happier. My only regret was not doing it years ago.

It is.. i was just having a laugh in that I imagined you saying it with a D4 Ross O'Carroll Kelly style accent, hence the loyke. Harmless fun:)

Not a hope northside born and bread and the OH is from the bog arse of Kildare. am fond of an old pint of Ken though and a Leinster season ticket holder hahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Flygirl92

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Used to commute over 3hrs a day to a job I came to realise I hated. Constant pressure, unrealistic deadlines, didn't respect my boss.
    I was earning a lot of money, but ( and it took me years to realise this) I detested it.
    Got offered a position in a company that's a 15 minute drive away a few months ago.
    Handing in my notice to my boss was one of the best feelings. It's a cliché, but it really was like a weight being lifted.
    I get to spend loads more time with my wife and kids now and my friends say that I seem so much happier. My only regret was not doing it years ago.

Also quit one job for another. Complete career change! Many people said I was crazy and a lot of people used the word 'brave'. I'm not brave at all, I just hated my job. I'm 1000 times happier in the new job and will never look back.

If you aren't happy with what you are doing you should change. Understandably money can play a huge factor and people may not wish to take a large pay cut, but if you're going to be happier in yourself it might be worth some sacrifices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

like don't get me wrong she has a great job and likes it but the tax is a serious pisser , like she earns €70k + an annual performance bonus and dividend from her stock options but gets hockey'd on the highest rate of tax on all of it. kinda sickening to see so much go out for so little return.Tbh she dost come out with much more overall from her basic then i do off my 50k

I know what you mean. The real killer is that you pay the tax and don't see the benefits. I'm living in the Netherlands and you can see clearly where it goes. You probably gonna get shat on for mentioning the qty of money but from me, enjoy it. Money is hard come, easy go. Pisser? Isn't that a Boston term?

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Commuting for college showed me I'd rather get low pay nearby than spend 15-20 hours travelling, it would take a serious, serious reward for me to do it.

fizzypish wrote: »
    I know what you mean. The real killer is that you pay the tax and don't see the benefits. I'm living in the Netherlands and you can see clearly where it goes. You probably gonna get shat on for mentioning the qty of money but from me, enjoy it. Money is hard come, easy go. Pisser? Isn't that a Boston term?

Yeh you really do get nothing for it like €60 quid to see a GP , and you've to pay for private health insurance if you want any sort of decent medical care , the roads aren't in the best condition , public transport sucks , you get all the lovely little stealth tax's , TV licences, LPT, Bin Charges , motor tax all that fun stuff to eat away at the money you have left and again i don't see much return on any of it tbh.

I lived in the UK for a short time and you can at least see you're tax at work in some ways great public transport , the NHS sh!ts all over our health service (even though there not happy with it) good roads , quality broadcasting like the BBC etc.. makes a big difference to how you feel about the putting in you're 40 hours.

Cud be probably picked it up on the J1 but spent most of that time in Texas, one month on the east coast so maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭BrianD3

People contribute to disliking their job by becoming too reliant on it through living paycheque to paycheque, inflating their lifestyle to match their earnings, having high expectations and not saving towards financial independence. Just thinking about my own situation, I have come to dislike my job and the bullsh*t I deal with on a daily basis but I would feel far worse about it if I had no savings.

I am talking here about people who could save money if they reduced their expectations but choose not to. I'm not talking about low paid workers who are crucified by the cost of rent and struggling badly to afford a basic lifestyle.

It is obviously in the interest of businesses and the global economy to keep people consuming and also reliant on their jobs. It reduces the power of the individual yet many seem blind to this. E.g. the guy with a new BMW bought on PCP. He works long hours and as he is "on edge" in work, he is a w*nker to his colleagues. This puts them in bad form and they become w*nkers too. A toxic workplace is the result.

People justify their spending on luxury items, cars, alcohol, unnecessarily large houses etc. by saying that they want to treat themselves after their hard work and after all, YOLO. Well maybe if they didn't treat themselves so much, they wouldn't have to work so hard/long. More to life than work and consuming and after all, YOLO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Same as myself, cant be all the jobs.. must be me :(

What were you doing and what are you doing now..? You actually like it, or more so enjoy being your own boss?

Thinking of doing something similar myself, still dont have any good ideas though :eek:

A myriad of things from working in AIB, to managing a medical practice, to tele-sales in IBM. Finally ended up working as a general manager in a multi-location language school.

Finished my MBA in Smurfit in 2015. It broke us financially but I self-funded the MBA even though IBM offered to pay for it as I didn't want to be tied to a job I hated afterwards. Went on to start an online booking platform for the langauge education and travel sector. Am now my own boss and like I said, Ive never looked back.

The MBA and company setup was all done with two kids under 2 by the way, so for any naysayers that tell you that you can't change things once you have a family to support, you can tell them to bugger off and push themselves a little bit harder ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

mariaalice wrote: »
    Discounting issue like working for horrible people other than that why do so many people seem to dislike or even hate their jobs that's my though of the day anyway:P, another funny one is reading ( on boards ) about an individuals who want to change career in to a job that some other individual (on boards) wants to get out of!!!

Boredom, many jobs are repetitious and don't allow imagination/creativity to flourish in any capacity. That and supervisors are often incredibly incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I have to work with the general public in the hospitality industry. I can take the hours, I can take being on my feet for 9+ hours a day. I can take a lot of things, but people... rude people I can't stand.

Most people are great, friendly and even some smile, but you'll always get one or two people that everything is wrong for them. They make me hate my job more often than not. It genuinely makes me annoyed, and ruins my day when someone like that comes along.

Their drink is flat even though its clearly not, food not cooked right when I can clear as day see its fine, complain to me about things that have nothing to do with me or my department, and complain further when I seek someone that can deal with their complaint. I've been personally called out in a Trip Advisor review for being "too friendly" when dealing with a complaint (I can't even fathom that one).

One customer was enquiring about a new beer we had on tap, and I offered to let him try it. He said he liked it and bought a pint. 2/3s drank he comes back to the bar and says he doesn't like it and wants to change it for something else. I explain that he's already drank most of the pint, but he wasn't having any of it and asked to speak to the manager.

People try to get a free meal by eating everything and then complaining at the end of the meal that it was too cold. They didn't realize that if you talk and chat for 10 minutes before eating your food (I did personally check the table twice in this time), it does tend to lose its temperature. They get argumentative because I won't comp them anything.

I've had people come into the restaurant with a voucher a year past its expiry date and get mad at me for not accepting it. Even though I offered them a discount due to not being able to accept the voucher they asked to speak to the manager :confused:

Fcuk those types of people tbh... ruin my day, other members of staff's day, other guests meals/time/meetings etc...

I sort of knew what I wanted to do by the time I was ten and worked towards it from then on. I love my job, it's the right mix of different elements and with some travel to far-away places for interesting adventures thrown in to keep things challenging.

I don't agree at all with the people who think nobody would work if they had the choice, I'd be bored out of my mind and not contributing in some way would be a very flat existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Candie wrote: »
    I sort of knew what I wanted to do by the time I was ten and worked towards it from then on. I love my job, it's the right mix of different elements and with some travel to far-away places for interesting adventures thrown in to keep things challenging.

I don't agree at all with the people who think nobody would work if they had the choice, I'd be bored out of my mind and not contributing in some way would be a very flat existence.

I've been out of work for 2 months due to an injury. After about a week I was going stir crazy. Mainly due to being house ridden. Now, I've lost myself in books cos I don't know what else to do. If I'm off for much longer, I'll need a new hobby :/

Advertisement