Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do so many people seem to dislike their jobs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

I can't speak for everyone but perhaps work is viewed as a means to a (week) end.

If you were to ask jacinta what she'd rather be doing, I'm guessing she'd want to be going on holidays and enjoying more of her leisure time than working her hole off at the deli counter in dunnes. Work to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

When I started in my last job I loved it. Most of my team did. I was promoted to it from another position and i worked my ass off to prove I could do it. 4 years later and I hated it. Everyone in the team hated it. We were depressed and dreaded work. Managers took on more work for us to do. We were given no training. None at all. In the beginning that was part of the attraction. You needed to be a self starter. 4 years later our responsibilities had at least quadrupled and we were never trained up for anything. We were overwhelmed.

Add in a management that dangled a promotion in front of us (only an extra 5k a year but a snazzier title) that we could never achieve and that was the final straw. They actually changed the job description for the promotion after I was there a year. They added in that a degree in anything was necessary. So I got a degree, as did two others in the team, and they changed the description. So I got a masters too. Still nothing. They said that certain experience was needed but they refused to allow us to get the experience (even though it was in our job description) because there was too much other work to do.

In the end I left.

For a lot of people, if you're in a job where you have no chance of promotion or moving on in anyway, then you'll grow to hate it. I knew people in my previous company who worked in the call centre section. They were on just over 30k a year because they had been there for years. They were turned down for every promotion in the company. They got no guidance, training or mentorship so they would probably always be call centre agents. They couldn't leave because that would be a cut in wages and they'd be lucky to get 25 anywhere else. So they were stuck and they hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 airportlackie

I think it's because people all have a feeling that they could do better than the job there doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

I think some of it comes from deciding at 18 what you want to do for the rest of your life (as in college course - which gets you the job) If I had to go back now, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do now what I did then. Hell I'm 31 and I STILL don't know what I "want" to do for the rest of my life.
    Last year I was in a permanent job that I was completely miserable in, left it for a pay cut and a 3 month contract and really enjoyed my job then. Was kept there for 8 months and the headcount was cut and I was moved to a different dept.. not loving it so much now but I have a wedding to pay for next year so can't rock the boat just yet. Have ideas of what I would enjoy doing (complete 180 from what I'm doing) but it takes money and time both of which I haven't got in excess right now.. after the wedding is done and paid for, I'll reassess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

mariaalice wrote: »
    Discounting issue like working for horrible people other than that why do so many people seem to dislike or even hate their jobs that's my though of the day anyway:P, another funny one is reading ( on boards ) about an individuals who want to change career in to a job that some other individual (on boards) wants to get out of!!!

Doesn't matter what the job is. If you have to do it every day then you will begin to hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

It's a combination of factors for most people. Common themes would be:

o Unpaid overtime. 37 hours is really 45-50 hours.

o Wages that are eaten by childcare and living expenses

o The good team members are covering for the lazy team members. Management won't address the bad workers.

o You are 'public-facing' and get abused all day long

o You know that you are better or more qualified than your peers and manager, but you are always passed over for promotion.

o Cliques. Some people are very friendly with management and are permitted to coast.

o Monotony

o Bullying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

Its the hours for me, 9 to 5 every day of the week and only 2 days off. One of those days most places are closed up. Must we work 5 days a week, must we work 8 hours a day. Most jobs out there are a repetition of the same things too. Whats to like about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Its the hours for me, 9 to 5 every day of the week and only 2 days off. One of those days most places are closed up. Must we work 5 days a week, must we work 8 hours a day. Most jobs out there are a repetition of the same things too. Whats to like about it.

I think more companies should be giving employees flexibility to their hours. Unless you're in a customer service job and having to be on the phone/email all the time, I don't see why most employers insist on 9-5.

People expect too much, that's about it. The odds of finding some nice little niche that you enjoy, that brings "fulfillment", leaves time for everything else while also paying enough are pretty slim.
    I'm in a just-over minimum wage job and some progression would be nice. I can't complain too much though, long hours, monotonous and all the rest but I don't dread it because I got very lucky in that everyone else in the place is also sound. That's enough luck in my book. :P

I think more companies should be giving employees flexibility to their hours. Unless you're in a customer service job and having to be on the phone/email all the time, I don't see why most employers insist on 9-5.

While i agree with some flexibility depending on your job, in reality people need to interact with other employees to get the job done.

Say for example i had the flexibility to put in a 40 hour week however i wanted, so i decided to work from 3-11pm every day. But the rest of the staff decided to work from 7am-3pm. We would never be in the office at the same time and if i needed to ask anything i would need to rely on email.

Thats an extreme example but flexible working hours does impact performance.

But i would agree with limited flexible starting time +- 1 hour from 9am. So you could start anytime between 8-10

• Advertisement

We should be aiming for a 30 hour working week as standard. The only thing that would make that difficult is affording to provide a roof over your head. But should that really be so expensive anyway. I'm sure society could find a solution to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Cheer up people, there's always the sweet release of death to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

We should be aiming for a 30 hour working week as standard. The only thing that would make that difficult is affording to provide a roof over your head. But should that really be so expensive anyway. I'm sure society could find a solution to that.

It's expensive to train and deal with more employees when you could squeeze maximum hours out of a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Because life is **** & there is no such thing as happiness!......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Your a very cheery lot!! I like my job it is possible to be contented with your job.

That reminds me I have to fill in my timesheet.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Your a very cheery lot!! I like my job it is possible to be contented with your job.

Thinly veiled I'm smug about loving my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Very good point. The last company I worked for has recently decided to change their policy. They used to have a flexitime arrangement anyway, they still do, but they have decided to dispense with the idea of a core hours concept (you had to be in by say 10, and you couldn't leave before a certain time in the late afternoon).

Essentially they can work whatever hours they want so long as their clock balance is at least: [standard hours - 10 hours] at each month end, standard hours per week of 37.5. Seems very good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

My parents didn't like their jobs but they ground out the years for my (and their own) benefit. Different time and they didn't have a choice. Nowadays we do but I do believe at some point you got to just do it regardless of liking it. Life situation will probably dictate this. Personally, I've no intention of returning to college (hated the 4 years) and I'm not sure if I like my job. Been doing it for 4 years at this stage. Put down some ****ty days. Very rarely roll out or in with a smile on my face. Maybe I'm just a miserable **** though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Thinly veiled I'm smug about loving my job.

I didn't say I love my job I said I like it big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

That reminds me I have to fill in my timesheet.

Oh Jesus, timesheets. My sympathies. :(

Its also because of the constant devaluation of our salaries by inflation.

No employer will give an inflation pay change every single year, let alone another few % on top of that to account for you being experienced and a well performing employer.

Unfortunately the only way to outpace inflation is to find a new job every few years.
    We don't live in a world where you can be a loyal employee anymore.

Legally employers should be required to give their employees a rate of inflation increase every year, same goes for the minimum wage.
    But they should also be allowed to give a wage decrease if there is negative inflation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I have a choice between working at home or at the office, a reasonable choice regarding the hours I work (there's no firm policy, but as I work a lot with other departments, it really wouldn't make sense for me to work, say, nightshifts), I work with computers, I get to do a lot of spreadsheets, we get free tea, coffee, fruit, chocolate, biscuits and fresh croissants once a week, the company is a bit on the quirky side and the employees reflect that, pay is ok and increasing, what's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Hated most of the jobs I had. So I raised investment, started my own company and haven't looked back.

If you're not happy in what you're doing, then get out. Life is too short to be miserable.

While i agree with some flexibility depending on your job, in reality people need to interact with other employees to get the job done.

Say for example i had the flexibility to put in a 40 hour week however i wanted, so i decided to work from 3-11pm every day. But the rest of the staff decided to work from 7am-3pm. We would never be in the office at the same time and if i needed to ask anything i would need to rely on email.

Thats an extreme example but flexible working hours does impact performance.

But i would agree with limited flexible starting time +- 1 hour from 9am. So you could start anytime between 8-10
    Yeah where I am it's "officially" 9-6 but it depends on what the nature of the work is at a particular time as to whether it's "enforced". If someone has a week of work requiring no interaction with others then they're left alone. Give and take is the key but there's often 1 or 2 arseholes who undermine it it seems.

4 day working week is the way to go IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't understand this being in a job you dislike. It is where you spend the best part of your day. Why settle for something you are not happy with? If you are not happy, then do something about it. Life is too short to be getting up everyday for the next 30-40 years and feeling miserable before you even get out of the bed. Feck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭robbiezero

jester77 wrote: »
    I don't understand this being in a job you dislike. It is where you spend the best part of your day. Why settle for something you are not happy with? If you are not happy, then do something about it. Life is too short to be getting up everyday for the next 30-40 years and feeling miserable before you even get out of the bed. Feck that.

Some people just dislike working 40 hours a week every week. I would be one of them, my job is ok, it's probably as good as it could be. But even my favourite hobby, I wouldn't like to have to do it for 40 hours a week every week.
    Most office drones probably feel that way at least sometimes.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Very good point. The last company I worked for has recently decided to change their policy. They used to have a flexitime arrangement anyway, they still do, but they have decided to dispense with the idea of a core hours concept (you had to be in by say 10, and you couldn't leave before a certain time in the late afternoon).

Essentially they can work whatever hours they want so long as their clock balance is at least: [standard hours - 10 hours] at each month end, standard hours per week of 37.5. Seems very good to me.

Yeah that's a step in the right direction but i think 37.5 hrs is too long. Id much prefer 30 hrs a week. With automation coming down the tracks it should be reasonable achievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

As jobs go my job is good , secure , well paid, regular hours , flexi time and good annual leave.

going to work still wouldn't be my first choice of things to do of a morning and if i were to win the lotto (significant amount) i'd pack it in in the morning happily and spend my time doing stuff i actually enjoy like travelling , cooking , exercising , looking after animals that kind of stuff.

I don't work because i want to get out of bed every morning at 7:30 spend all day away from my Finance , family , friends and Kittens , processing stuff that really don't matter a toss to me personally and then eventually get home at 6:30. I do it because it funds the lifestyle i want , quality apartment with loads of nice things , nice cloths , expensive foreign holidays and nice meals out. I think that's more the way it is for most people its something you have to do not something you choose to do.

Advertisement