Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The End for Youghal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Isambard wrote: »
    I've said it before, but how about new stations at Blarney, Rathduff, Buttevant etc and a stopping train service from Cork to Limerick City.
    nothing apart from will to stop those from happening. money is there to fund them

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I've said it before, but how about new stations at Blarney, Rathduff, Buttevant etc and a stopping train service from Cork to Limerick City.
    New railway stations are part of the Cork Metropolitan Transport Strategy to be published this month.

Not sure why Youghal + new stations can't all be done over an extended period. By the way, I wasn't suggesting Youghal should be opened now, but it looks good for viability in 10 years time or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I don't buy it. It's the same argument as the Western Rail Corridor or Foynes. Let's re-open it because it's there.

Investment in Rail is subject to Cost Benefit analysis and there's plenty of rail projects in the land that would rank above the Youghal line.

Youghal is a small town that would not itself generate enough rail passengers, and so most potential passengers in East Cork would have to drive to the station. and to many of them there would be no advantage over driving to Midleton and also higher fares.

The WRC is in danger of losing parts of it's route through adverse possession and I imagine the same could apply to the Youghal line. A Greenway would protect the corridor.

marno21 wrote: »
    New railway stations are part of the Cork Metropolitan Transport Strategy to be published this month.

Not sure why Youghal + new stations can't all be done over an extended period. By the way, I wasn't suggesting Youghal should be opened now, but it looks good for viability in 10 years time or so.

Cork Metropolitan Transport strategy presumably covers the metropolitan area, whereas my suggestion was a service using spare capacity on the Lim Junc to Cork line (One train an hour each way means it is seriously underused for a double track line)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Good points with the exception of the higher fares comment. Park and Ride commuters will generally travel to the closest station (if the facilities suit). It's not free to drive to midleton from afar either.

Well, as a railway advocate it is on the one hand sad that there won't be a connection anytime soon, but on the other hand the alignment will be preserved and the corridor may prove viable down the line (literally).

• Advertisement

no.8 wrote: »
    Good points with the exception of the higher fares comment. Park and Ride commuters will generally travel to the closest station (if the facilities suit). It's not free to drive to midleton from afar either.

Well, as a railway advocate it is on the one hand sad that there won't be a connection anytime soon, but on the other hand the alignment will be preserved and the corridor may prove viable down the line (literally).

the point was that many of them would be on the Midleton side of Youghal or equidistant from either.
    I think if you are beyond Youghal, you'd be as likely to be headed for Dungarvan or even Waterford than Cork and anyone north of the area would probably find it as easy to reach Midleton.

Fare from Youghal would obviously be higher than from Midleton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Markcheese wrote: »
    Because its been brilliant since the 80s

What does this mean?

What does the poster intend it to mean?

These places are on the existing main road which can serve the town centres such as Mallow and Charleville, thus more attractive to the travelling public.

A stopping rail service would have to go via Limerick Junction rather than direct through Croom. The additional distance and travel time would be uncompetitive.

It would be nice to have the direct rail route, but even when it existed, it was very underused. The chances of reopening are currently zero.

tabbey wrote: »
    These places are on the existing main road which can serve the town centres such as Mallow and Charleville, thus more attractive to the travelling public.

A stopping rail service would have to go via Limerick Junction rather than direct through Croom. The additional distance and travel time would be uncompetitive.

It would be nice to have the direct rail route, but even when it existed, it was very underused. The chances of reopening are currently zero.

Youghal is on a main road.Charleville station is nowhere near either the main road or the town centre.

The stopping service to Limerick would ideally serve Limerick Junc as an interchange point for the Waterford services (which themselves need enhancement) and also, importantly, with the Cork to Dublin "fast" trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

The rational of wanting a line re-opened just because it is there escapes me.

... and would likely be very little used.

A journey from Youghal to Cork city would still be quicker by car, so I don't see too many people opting for a longer commute.

A greenway keeps the route open though, so should things change one day and the rail link is deemed profitable to re-open at least there won't be a housing estate built on the route instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Okon wrote: »
    ... and would likely be very little used.

A journey from Youghal to Cork city would still be quicker by car, so I don't see too many people opting for a longer commute.

A greenway keeps the route open though, so should things change one day and the rail link is deemed profitable to re-open at least there won't be a housing estate built on the route instead.

profitable? very very very few passenger railways anywhere in the world are profitable. so whether it is or isn't profitable to reopen it or not is completely irrelevant. what is relevant is how much funding it will save elsewhere such as on more road capacity for singley occupied cars.

it is very unlikely that the route will be returned to rail use now. even though, quite likely i suspect, the proposed greenway will have little usage, as it does not offer anything. greenways like the waterford one have something worth cycling to see. youghal has what?

but not a problem, we can spend a hell of a lot more money on more road capacity for single person cars and congest the city further. not to mention stretching the council budget which probably isn't enough as it is, to take on maintenence?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

no.8 wrote: »

I'd largely agree with you, the current Midleton line would be a lot more usable with more investment.. (more stations, more connectivity)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

profitable? very very very few passenger railways anywhere in the world are profitable. so whether it is or isn't profitable to reopen it or not is completely irrelevant. what is relevant is how much funding it will save elsewhere such as on more road capacity for singley occupied cars.

it is very unlikely that the route will be returned to rail use now. even though, quite likely i suspect, the proposed greenway will have little usage, as it does not offer anything. greenways like the waterford one have something worth cycling to see. youghal has what?

but not a problem, we can spend a hell of a lot more money on more road capacity for single person cars and congest the city further. not to mention stretching the council budget which probably isn't enough as it is, to take on maintenence?

I don't agree with you that the greenway will be half empty... But nó matter what it won't be ever be a commuter route unlike the Blackrock greenway, which is well traveled by commuters on bikes,
    The thing is, there'd be relatively few using it as a rail line either.. (for the fore see able future anyways)
    And you are right about road spending versus public transport investment (or even joined up planning)..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I don't really see how a Greenway from/to Youghal can offer less than the one in Waterford. You don't usually go to a destination, the actually cycling or walking is what people do it for, they enjoy the experience , admire the countryside, stop for a bit of lunch somewhere and cycle /walk back again. If that somewhere they stop is in Youghal then it's a big plus, Youghal needs all the new trade it can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Frostybrew

I don't really see how a Greenway from/to Youghal can offer less than the one in Waterford. You don't usually go to a destination, the actually cycling or walking is what people do it for, they enjoy the experience , admire the countryside, stop for a bit of lunch somewhere and cycle /walk back again. If that somewhere they stop is in Youghal then it's a big plus, Youghal needs all the new trade it can get.

Because the Waterford greenway offers some spectacular mountain, coastal, and river scenery and stunning views; along with many examples of interesting railway engineering with viaducts and tunnels.

Youghal to Midleton offers ditches.

Charleville station is nowhere near either the main road or the town centre.

A point I have made.

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Because the Waterford greenway offers some spectacular mountain, coastal, and river scenery and stunning views; along with many examples of interesting railway engineering with viaducts and tunnels.

Youghal to Midleton offers ditches.

Ah but they're east cork ditches...
    There are actually some nice views and visitas from along the line,(especially looking south after kilkeagh towards youghal Bay)
    there arent many villages to stop at, just 2 between Midleton and youghal, but it is beautiful country side,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

There are actually some nice views and visitas from along the line,(especially looking south after kilkeagh towards youghal Bay)
    there arent many villages to stop at, just 2 between Midleton and youghal, but it is beautiful country side,

I thought the lesson had been learned on the WRC, you don't stop at every place where there was originally a station. Not only would such stations inflate the cost, they'd also make the journey time less competitive

I thought the lesson had been learned on the WRC, you don't stop at every place where there was originally a station. Not only would such stations inflate the cost, they'd also make the journey time less competitive

I don't think it matters so much on a greenway...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I don't think it matters so much on a greenway...
    yep, i read it properly this time :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's pretty ho-hum, no different to that seen on the many by roads in the area of which there's no shortage of. The Waterford one opened up a tunnel, viaducts and sea views previously unseen to many since closure as a railway.

i'd wager almost all the people using it don't give a flying duck for the railway infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

i'd wager almost all the people using it don't give a flying duck for the railway infrastructure.

Whatever you think yourself.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

As someone who's cycled the Waterford greenway, whilst the scenery was very attractive in places, the overriding source of enjoyment was being able to cycle on a country road that was completely free of motorised traffic. I've no doubt many others feel similarly and therefore would expect the Youghal greenway to do well, regardless of how 'boring' the countryside is.

I'd hate to see a greenway obstructing a future reopening of a railway but at the same time I'd hate to see a former railway idle for years, probably decades, to come instead of being put to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Frostybrew

Quackster wrote: »
    As someone who's cycled the Waterford greenway, whilst the scenery was very attractive in places, the overriding source of enjoyment was being able to cycle on a country road that was completely free of motorised traffic. I've no doubt many others feel similarly and therefore would expect the Youghal greenway to do well, regardless of how 'boring' the countryside is.

I'd hate to see a greenway obstructing a future reopening of a railway but at the same time I'd hate to see a former railway idle for years, probably decades, to come instead of being put to good use.

The figure quoted for the development of the greenway is €19 million. Let's hope a sizeable portion of this figure is for bridge rebuilding which will facilitate double tracking and electrification post 2030.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Quackster wrote: »

No greenway will ever be allowed to work as a railway again.

No greenway will ever be allowed to work as a railway again.

Well they're already looking at turning the old Blackrock line in Cork (a path for decades) into a joint tram way and greenway...
    It does add complication though...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Frostybrew wrote: »
    The figure quoted for the development of the greenway is €19 million. Let's hope a sizeable portion of this figure is for bridge rebuilding which will facilitate double tracking and electrification post 2030.

How the hell will it cost 19 million to clear and surface the line, there shouldn't be any major engineering, the Aligment already exists, (not sure about where it crosses the n25...)
    Or am I just old, and still think 19 million is a lot of money...?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

How the hell will it cost 19 million to clear and surface the line, there shouldn't be any major engineering, the Aligment already exists, (not sure about where it crosses the n25...)
    Or am I just old, and still think 19 million is a lot of money...?

Reports were €10 -€15 million for the 23km route. Can imagine clearing the tracks, building up the ground so it's stable, tarmac, signage, associated car parks, fencing etc... will all add up so wouldn't be surprised at the cost. I'm all for it and look forward to using it.

• Advertisement

Well they're already looking at turning the old Blackrock line in Cork (a path for decades) into a joint tram way and greenway...
    It does add complication though...

yes I agree, but if they can run a LUAS through the centre of DUblin surely it must be relativley simple to devise shared use of the trackbed. One mode doesn't exclude the other as shown on other Greenways shared with railways. You shouldn't even need a dividing fence by rights. Hell, in places they have massive freight trains passing along the main streets of towns (USA for instance)

Advertisement