Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The End for Youghal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Outrageous - CIE must be spending next to nothing on the line given the state that it's in. A lot of the track was removed years ago. CIE moved heaven and earth to prevent the line being preserved in 1983 and the local politicians have only themselves to blame. Maybe they can put a few photographs up in Clancy's Bar & Restaurant aka The Railway Bar. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's just maddening. No lessons ever learned.

Watch as they are allowed formally close it. Sell the land and in ten years buy it back to re-open the line...

Except that there will be no reopening this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Hopefully not, Youghal needs something in the future. The place is dying!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Should preserve the line by making it a greenway

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Should preserve the line by making it a greenway

Oh please don't.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭bigroad

Can they not put these lines out to tender to see if some group or company could make a go of it.
    It seems to me if Irish rail cant run then they dont want any one getting at it.
    A pure disgrace they are.

It would be difficult for a private operator as CIE have scrapped almost every locomotive and carriage that could have been used.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bigroad wrote: »
    Can they not put these lines out to tender to see if some group or company could make a go of it.
    It seems to me if Irish rail cant run then they dont want any one getting at it.
    A pure disgrace they are.

There is no line. There are a few bits of rotten track and not much else.

Putting it out to tender would require money to pay the PSO to operate it, and someone who can get 1600mm rolling stock - as, thanks to the cutters torch and IE incompetence - we're already using pretty much all there is and the tiny bit remaining (the 2700 class) is needed for the next expansion.

If the NTA starts tendering out lines, they're going to tender ones that are already operational first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

could these lines be simply turned into road and run buses and bikes on them etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Idbatterim wrote: »
    could these lines be simply turned into road and run buses and bikes on them etc?

Realistically no. In many cases there is already a superior road anyway.

A double track railway line would barely provide the width of a single carriageway road.

yeah I thought width could be an issue, but couldnt you simply run the bus from youghal to middleton on a single carriageway.

I just seems to me, that rail is so prohibitively expensive to serve these small places, but bus is far more flexible and dirt cheap to run by comparison...

yeah I thought width could be an issue, but couldnt you simply run the bus from youghal to middleton on a single carriageway.

I just seems to me, that rail is so prohibitively expensive to serve these small places, but bus is far more flexible and dirt cheap to run by comparison...

They run the bus on the existing single carriageway N25...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I think the end came a long time ago. Is this line a level crossing fest like the Nenagh branch?

n97 mini wrote: »
    I think the end came a long time ago. Is this line a level crossing fest like the Nenagh branch?

NO.

They run the bus on the existing single carriageway N25...
    right, but the rail route is totally segregated and would offer faster journey times I would assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Think this is just a tin rattling exercise for more funding...Make noises about abandonment... local people get angry, local politicians get stuck in...IE get monies for notional 'care and maintenace'...back to square one.

right, but the rail route is totally segregated and would offer faster journey times I would assume?

Its not and probably not.

There is zero financial justification in building a long distance busway to a small, broke provincial town anyway. Buses can use the N25. Indeed, they would have to from Midleton anyway due to the extant operating commuter rail service!

Cork is a county of hopeless dreamers and wafflers - my experience anyway.

Image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Del Monte can correct me here but isn't it since the early 60's since this line had daily passenger services to and from Youghal? I know it had summer excursion trains besides but they were occasional if well patronised.

Del Monte can correct me here but isn't it since the early 60's since this line had daily passenger services to and from Youghal? I know it had summer excursion trains besides but they were occasional if well patronised.

The daily passenger service ended in 1963 - if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

1963 i think. apparently the fares were cheeper then the bus that replaced it. only in ireland

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Some details here of the last days of the Summer Sunday Excursion trains that ended in 1979. The small Ads are from the Evening Echo and were the only form of marketing.

Image%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Image%2B%25283%2529.jpg

Is the 19781979 correction yours, or did they actually do that in the printed ad?

L1011 wrote: »
    Is the 19781979 correction yours, or did they actually do that in the printed ad?

Sunday 19th August was 1979 and not 1978 but they forgot to alter the date in the Ad. I crossed it out on my copy.

Some of the lines they want to abandon:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/iarnrod-eireann-seeks-to-permanently-axe-10-closed-lines-430881.html

Waterford-Rosslare Harbour
    Claremorris-Collooney
    Midleton-Youghal
    Navan-Kingscourt
    Abbey Junction-New Ross
    Mullingar-Athlone
    Limerick-Foynes
    Tralee-Fenit
    Ballingrane-Tralee

Ballingrane-Tralee was already abandoned in 1987 surely?

Few of those will be extremely controversial. The North Kerry was abandoned but not sold off I thought? I would assume its to avoid structure upkeep on the Greenway and make the councils do it, if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Isambard wrote: »
    Disgraceful. More than enough money was spent on the Midleton extension to reopen the line all the way to Youghal. Time to rewrite the law for privatisation of railways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Karsini wrote: »

Ballingrane-Tralee was already abandoned in 1987 surely?

Yep, Ballingrane to Tralee was abandoned in 1988. However Tralee-Foynes was laid under a separate act to the North Kerry. As it is a line of its own accord, it needs an Order of it's own.

Advertisement