Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with 4K tv 16 months old

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

just be a little careful, if the 550 could be considered a reasonable offer then that may go against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Anyway so i got a letter today from them asking me to settle outside of court and they will give 550 euros and I can keep the TV as they said there is notting wrong with the TV at all ...

Not a substitute for professional legal advice here, but if I were in that situation I'd go to court.

Who in their right mind would offer someone €550 if there was nothing wrong with the TV?!

Plus you have an Engineer's report stating differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Not a substitute for professional legal advice here, but if I were in that situation I'd go to court.

Who in their right mind would offer someone €550 if there was nothing wrong with the TV?!

Plus you have an Engineer's report stating differently.

And I have emails from power city saying there is a fault with the TV.....

And that that parts need to be changed inside the TV.....

Power city have not explained why the TV has cracked twice ha isn't the same spot

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mittimitti

the scc will have a list on the door when you arrive

Its down to what number you are on the list that decides how long you will be in for

If you haven't been before you want to be number 5 ish so you get an idea how it works

Ive been a few times its a good day out you get the idea of how cases are going and how the judges view is

Update just done in court won the case as power city no showed.

Got my full amount 1050 euros now getting paid is another story ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mittimitti

Good stuff

Next step is powercity get a letter to say you have judgement
    they will more than likely send payment to the scc on the last day

power city should pay up
    if they don't the sheriff gets involved and can arrive out to one of the powercity stores to take goods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I bloody love it when the little consumer exercises their rights successfully. Too many companies just want your money but then make you jump through serious hoops when they're obliged to remedy a situation.

Fair play TA!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

They don't/can't

I am delighted now as like this has been going on since October last year.

I still laugh I have the report saying it needs to be replaced and power city said no there is no fault with the TV as said in there docs to the court they even asked at one stage did I even buy the TV from them with the letters between me and the small claims court

I told the court I had to buy a new TV as the TV in question is broken otherwise I won't be able to watch TV or play my video games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I am delighted now as like this has been going on since October last year.

I still laugh I have the report saying it needs to be replaced and power city said no there is no fault with the TV as said in there docs to the court they even asked at one stage did I even buy the TV from them with the letters between me and the small claims court

I told the court I had to buy a new TV as the TV in question is broken otherwise I won't be able to watch TV or play my video games.

How is the judgment done, in the sense of what is the award for exactly? Just wondering because I wonder if the tv is yours to keep (for all the good that it is) or do you have to give it back to power city if they request same?

Uriel. wrote: »
    How is the judgment done, in the sense of what is the award for exactly? Just wondering because I wonder if the tv is yours to keep (for all the good that it is) or do you have to give it back to power city if they request same?

They have me the full amount for the TV and Notting about returning the broke one to power city?.

I am. Like if they don't request it get the power board and main board replaced myself? And keep for another room in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭blade1

They have me the full amount for the TV and Notting about returning the broke one to power city?.

I am. Like if they don't request it get the power board and main board replaced myself? And keep for another room in the house?

If they look for it back,charge them for storage!!:pac:

Update again

Power city called me to pick up the TV after writhing a letter to me saying they will pick it up.

But said not giveing back to I am paid witch is extremely fair. Guy on the phone understands he's a 3rd party

As I know for a fact I won't get paid if I hand back as they will then say once they have the TV the money has been issued to me in a bank draft and posted to me. Or there was never a fault with the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,260 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Update again

Power city called me to pick up the TV after writhing a letter to me saying they will pick it up.

But said not giveing back to I am paid witch is extremely fair. Guy on the phone understands he's a 3rd party

As I know for a fact I won't get paid if I hand back as they will then say once they have the TV the money has been issued to me in a bank draft and posted to me. Or there was never a fault with the TV.

You are absolutely right not to trust them. Money first (and if its a bank draft wait until that clears) and then they can have back the tv.

You are absolutely right not to trust them. Money first (and if its a bank draft wait until that clears) and then they can have back the tv.

Very ture not to trust them as they have been cowboys since day 1 as not handing anything back with out money in my bank account.

Then they can do what ever as the judge did not say I had to give the goods back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

What will power city do with a broken television set now though? Wouldn't past them to package it and sell it as refurbished or something :pac:

What will power city do with a broken television set now though? Wouldn't past them to package it and sell it as refurbished or something :pac:

Stop it would not shock me. It was a display TV ;) that's what power city will say haha

Another update powercity wont pay me unless i give them the TV 1st that was not the agreement in court Eg what the judge ruled on. The judge awarded me the full amount of the TV to be paid not in the way power city wont to go.

This is just classic power city now again they lost in court and are refusing to pay me. I say this will end up going to the searfif at this stage as I know for a fact they wont pay me.

I might give a call to the smalls claims court now later on and say to them that power city is refusing to refund me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

The procedure is up on citizens advice
    Once you have obtained judgement and have a decree, there is the possibility that the respondent will not comply with the order of the court. In this situation, you may need to enforce your judgement. The most usual way of enforcing a judgement is to give the decree to the Sheriff or County Registrar for execution.

You have to apply to the Small Claims Registrar to have the decree sent to you. The Registrar will not automatically send you the decree for execution in this way. After you give the decree to the Sheriff or County Registrar, they then go to the respondent and seize goods or money to the value of the amount set out in your decree.

It will involve a fee, payable to the Sheriff or County Registrar. If the Sheriff or County Registrar successfully executes the judgement, this fee will be refunded to you.

Information and assistance on enforcement procedures is available from the Small Claims Registrar.

I'd write to them and say if they do not comply with the courts judgement within 7 days then you will leave it in the hands of the Sheriff. In the meantime apply for the decree to be sent to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would just give them back the TV if they want it! Keeping it gives them an excuse not to pay you. They will pay rather than have the sheriff arrive!

C3PO wrote: »
    I would just give them back the TV if they want it! Keeping it gives them an excuse not to pay you. They will pay rather than have the sheriff arrive!

he is more than happy to give back the tv. as soon as he is paid. i dont think that is unreasonable.

Don't won't the TV at all just won't my money 1st then they can have its

Just after speaking to the court and yes they are not agreeing to the judgement as they have 14 days to pay for it since it was issued. There is i think 5 days left for them to pay otherwise it gos to the sefif for getting the money back and I have a very very strong felling that I will have to go that route.

But the court told me to give the TV back and you have your judgement and that she has dealed with them before and they are know for paying the last day and fighting with the person after they have a judgement.

Do you know what I won the case thought it would have been fairly OK to get paid for it but its gone back worse then before to try and get them to repair the tv.

When i was speaking to power city i was told to drop my issues with them and saying we will send the payment to the court and hope that payment clears. This is powercity for you they dont have the balls to show up in court and i still dont know will i even get paid haha.

You will definitely get your money. even if it takes the sheriff to get it for you. But power city dont want a visit from the sheriff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Just give them back the tv.
    You will get your money either way.
    Wether they give it to you or wether the Sheriff walks into to the store and takes it out of the till.
    It's not a small business that can disappear and say they don't have money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

XsApollo wrote: »
    Just give them back the tv.
    You will get your money either way.
    Wether they give it to you or wether the Sheriff walks into to the store and takes it out of the till.
    It's not a small business that can disappear and say they don't have money.

Balls. They messed him about for months and now he's in the driving seat. Stick to your guns OP.

If it was me I'd tell them to come and pick it up but not be there when they arrived. Then ring up complaining that may they never called and you stayed in. I'd keep it up for weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

stimpson wrote: »
    Balls. They messed him about for months and now he's in the driving seat. Stick to your guns OP.

If it was me I'd tell them to come and pick it up but not be there when they arrived. Then ring up complaining that may they never called and you stayed in. I'd keep it up for weeks.

If it was me I wouldn't be arsed playing games and I'd just want my money back and be done with Power City forever. I will never deal with them based on Trusted Apple and similar reports from other ex customers.

Edit to Add that I'd just do as the courts are advising. No sense in jeopardising anything at this stage out of frustration.

If it was me I wouldn't be arsed playing games and I'd just want my money back and be done with Power City forever. I will never deal with them based on Trusted Apple and similar reports from other ex customers.

Edit to Add that I'd just do as the courts are advising. No sense in jeopardising anything at this stage out of frustration.

Thats the plan i am going to call the person who is post to pick up the TV on my coffee break later and see can i get him to pick it up next monday or tusday. Just wont the TV out of the house and be refunded for what I had to go to court with.

They have to have been the worth company i have ever dealt with in my life they are just shocking to deal with they dont show up to court and then dont agree to the court judgement on them.

I replaced the TV 4 months ago with a high end Panasonic (Had one for 5 years before i got the LG never had one issue with it). Touch wood its the same again and the difference between the TVS is crazy. Also makes me think that the panel has issues on the LG as well as everything has a black fog on it when used campare to the Panasonic that is just ultra bright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

As a shop keeper on the receiving end of the sheriff once I can assure you you'll get the money. He's a very nice man that take absolutely no bullsh!t, and in empowered to literally go into the till and get the money. We never got our goods back, and neither did we deserve them the shower of eejits we had in the back office.

Advertisement