Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men vs Women

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Its not about being full of yourself. You're saying you can just chat to a lad in the bar and he doesn't try I on with you/make a move on you? I was sitting with the 62 year old father of the guy I am in the band with in a bar, making pleasant conversation, and he (the 62 year old) asked me to come back to his house with him. I feel I live in a particularly misogynistic part of Ireland though.

I'm from the midlands too. You need to build a bridge and get over yourself kid. Yeah some guys are asses but the majority of them are okay. I tend to get on better with guys than I do with girls and would have more guy friends than girlfriends. they've never mistaken our friendship for anything else and my friends have never mistaken me flirting with them. I've shared a house with 5 guys, who helped me zip myself into and out of dresses I couldn't do myself, who stayed in and kept me company watching DVDs and eating food when I had my heart broken, I could occasionally go and get into their beds if my friends were crashing in mine after a night out, my friends would be in my bed and I'd doss down with one of them. I don't live there anymore but if I meet them out I give them hugs. They've never taken that as any more than me just being myself around them. Certainly they've never assumed I'd be mad for it off them.

There has been times when men have been pushy, or rude, or propositioned me for sex, but it's not the norm. Most guys I know are great, and they tend to be great friends. I've been stabbed in the back less and looked after more by my guy friends than my girl friends.

I don't think men are the problem here, TBH.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

LordSutch wrote: »
    It'll take a man to close this thread ;)

I'll have you know I'm perfectly man enough to close it. I just choose not to.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There is a Van Morrison lyric that jumps to mind. From the song wild night, something along the lines of "All the girls walk by, dressed up for each other". You see women dressed up and just assume it is all about you (men) - when just as likely they are doing it for each other and purely for the joy of doing it.

Ye I'm not quite sure I'm fully buying that. I understand there is a good bit of it. A fair number of women seem to love the dressing up thing. But don't be telling me you dress up in some half nothing dress and you don't have male attention in your mind at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

People dress to impress sometimes but that's only part of it and just because someone's dressed in an eye catching way doesn't mean they're half way more likely to be an easy target than someone who'd dressed frumpily. Humans are visual creatures and love adornment and decoration and colour, this extends to what we wear on our bodies, it can be pleasurable to wear something decorative on your body without anyone else's approval or attention.

But don't be telling me you dress up in some half nothing dress and you don't have male attention in your mind at all.

Me? I have barely any recollection of wearing a dress in my life at all - let alone ever seeking male attention.

However if you are speaking about women then perhaps you need to read my post again as I said nothing about what they are _not_ doing but only what many of them _are_.

I was just pointing out that a lot of men would do well to not think every action or choice women make is all about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 airportlackie

Women as they can multitask supposedly

Me? I have barely any recollection of wearing a dress in my life at all - let alone ever seeking male attention.

However if you are speaking about women then perhaps you need to read my post again as I said nothing about what they are _not_ doing but only what many of them _are_.

I was just pointing out that a lot of men would do well to not think every action or choice women make is all about them.

Sorry I knew this was going to happen when I re-read my post. When I said 'you' I didn't mean you personally but you figured that anyway.

This isn't really a topic over which I want to get involved in a discussion but I when I came across this 'not for the men' line I couldn't help but thinking not this again. People who don't want attention at all don't put emphasis on their primary sexual characteristic. Whether we like it or not in that way we are not that far away from the animal kingdom - these are signals. And if people think they're not well maybe then they're not very smart (again not you ;)) Usually this 'don't want attention' line comes along when it's unwanted attention AKA someone they don't like the look of. Which can leave some people who are a bit challenged on the whole mating ritual thing a bit confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Are you serious? Do you think I spend between 50-100 a week on clothes and makeup to impress some man who couldn't tell the difference between myth and snob? Hardly.

I don't know why you personally are spending that much or little, but making ourselves look good, healthy and attractive has always some sort of sexual connection, openly or subconsciously, subtlety or not so subtlety. We are animals underneath it all, whether we like it or not, and as we are very advanced animals our rituals can get very complex. There's nothing weird or crass about it, it just is. I can already see the retort coming but anyway...

Dating rituals are a difficult subject as its so very personal especially the unwanted/rejection bit, something which we can see in the discussions around it too. Things get touchy very quickly. Therefore I think I said my thing...

This isn't really a topic over which I want to get involved in a discussion but I when I came across this 'not for the men' line I couldn't help but thinking not this again. People who don't want attention at all don't put emphasis on their primary sexual characteristic.

Except the ones that do. As I said there are many people out there doing that not for sexual attention - but because the social norms and fashions and so forth lead them to it. If a certain way of fashion or dress is popular - then people tend often to simply want to be the best at conforming to that. And if revealing clothing is the norm - the fashion - or the standard - then that is what people will wear to fit in with their circle.

As i said the people - of any sex - who look at what someone does and automatically assume they are doing it for some reason or not - would do well to drop those assumptions. And men who automatically assume women dress as they do because their intention is male intention - are very much included in that. The actions of women are not all about men.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I'll have you know I'm perfectly man enough to close it. I just choose not to.

Oh get you, my goodness you are manly, you sound just like my lady wife when I ask her to do things ;)

Men are better at discussing rugby/football, women are better at nettering about Masterchef, men are better and more knowledgeable discussing the technicalities of cars/motorbikes/drones etc. Women are better at multitasking .... Men & women are now equal in the cooking stakes, thirty years ago men didn't even know where the cooker was! Nowadays some men also know how to use the washing machine (as well as being able to fix them).

Women spend more time & more money in shops, buying shoes mostly :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

Women as they can multitask supposedly
    What about doing one thing properly...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

LordSutch wrote: »
    Nowadays some men also know how to use the washing machine (as well as being able to fix them).

I had to ring a woman about a washing machine issue last week. I thought I had mastered the whole washing your own clothes thing. I thought all you had to do is lash your clothes in the drum, squeeze that blue stuff (literally have no idea what it's called) into the plastic thing (again, genuinely don't know what it's called) and put it in with the clothes. Imagine my surprise when I saw no blue stuff in the cupboard, but powder. "Ah here," I said to myself. I didn't go full retard and sprinkle the powder on the clothes, but I had no idea which section in the drawer you put it in. I rang up my helpful auntie who offered to drive from Rathgar to teach me, but I declined the offer. "No," I said. "Just tell me. A, B or C." She came out with some rubbish like she had to see the the washing machine first before she could advise, because they're not all the same. "Fine," I said. "I'll read the instructions. Thanks for the help." I'd no intention of rooting out the instructions so I took a guess and went for the middle. It did the job I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I had to ring a woman about a washing machine issue last week. I thought I had mastered the whole washing your own clothes thing. I thought all you had to do is lash your clothes in the drum, squeeze that blue stuff (literally have no idea what it's called) into the plastic thing (again, genuinely don't know what it's called) and put it in with the clothes. Imagine my surprise when I saw no blue stuff in the cupboard, but powder. "Ah here," I said to myself. I didn't go full retard and sprinkle the powder on the clothes, but I had no idea which section in the drawer you put it in. I rang up my helpful auntie who offered to drive from Rathgar to teach me, but I declined the offer. "No," I said. "Just tell me. A, B or C." She came out with some rubbish like she had to see the the washing machine first before she could advise, because they're not all the same. "Fine," I said. "I'll read the instructions. Thanks for the help." I'd no intention of rooting out the instructions so I took a guess and went for the middle. It did the job I think.

That's easy.

You pull the drawer half way out, start the wash, and whichever part the water runs into is where you put the powder. You get plenty of time to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I dunno, it just seems that midlandmissus just flat out hates men.

Clear as day. She doesn't post in any threads except one where she can go and have a moan that all men are assholes and sexist, when in fact she's one of the most sexist people on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Humans are mammals but they're mammals with a conscience. I don't think the OP is making that connection.

He mentions a lion, yes it's true that an Alpha male pride leader lion will look for action with a female from the pride whenever he feels like it. If she tries to resist him he will rape her. This behaviour in seen in all big cat species, it's been documented in many wildlife documentaries.

You can't take that attitude and spread it across the entire Mammal family.

There's plenty egs of Matriachal mammal societies also, most notably the elephant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Maximus277 wrote:
    Woman are all for equality until it comes to splitting the tab for dinner
    Clearly someone missed last week's Late Late interview with Blind Boy, or saw it and blatantly rejected feminism XD
    I want to be the small spoon for once! The injustice of it all. What's this thread about?
    Everyone wants a sweet cuddle. That is human nature.
    LordSutch wrote:
    Women spend more time & more money in shops, buying shoes mostly )
    I know enough men to just reject that outright. Jesus effin Christ, metro men have comprehensively levelled the playing-field there with their Oedipus Complexes and insecurities.
    This. Thread locked. Me also locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Humans are mammals but they're mammals with a conscience. I don't think the OP is making that connection.

He mentions a lion, yes it's true that an Alpha male pride leader lion will look for action with a female from the pride whenever he feels like it. If she tries to resist him he will rape her. This behaviour in seen in all big cat species, it's been documented in many wildlife documentaries.

There's plenty egs of Matriachal mammal societies also, most notably the elephant.
    A male lion will also kill all the cubs in a pride when he takes over. Does the op think human males should also do this? People who take one aspect of animal life and use it to excuse their behaviour are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    A male lion will also kill all the cubs in a pride when he takes over. Does the op think human males should also do this? People who take one aspect of animal life and use it to excuse their behaviour are idiots.

Oh yeah that's pure evil, they do it to get the females into heat and because they refuse to raise another male's cubs because it would be seen as a sign of weakness to rival males.

The male alpha lion has to be one of the most psychotic creatures on the planet.

Advertisement