Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

Congratulations Salomon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sodacake1968

There's always a remit to suppress posts especially in the current climate. I know of at least 2 departments that are in excess of their DPER figures (overall) and are actively seeking post suppression

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

There's always a remit to suppress posts especially in the current climate. I know of at least 2 departments that are in excess of their DPER figures (overall) and are actively seeking post suppression

They have to have appointed people in order to have too many posts filled.

Shouldn't change outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GenevaW

Has anyone from Batch 2 been contacted yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 shibbyj

GenevaW wrote: »

PAS told me the other day that it will be several weeks before there will be an update and that batch 1 is still in progress .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 DeirdreDee

Just wondering how those recently appointed as APs are finding it? Is it everything you hoped it would be??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paul3581

GenevaW wrote: »
    I'm in the top ten on batch2 and haven't heard anything from PAS yet

In relation to the actual hours of work for an AP, is there any sign of flexitime being restored? I understand it was being reviewed after it was removed as part of Haddington Road. I'm in the private sector with fairly flexible hours at the moment, if I have to actually be in the office until 5.45 every day I'll have to turn down the AP offer as I have a creche pick up to get to before 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

paul3581 wrote: »

In relation to the actual hours of work for an AP, is there any sign of flexitime being restored? I understand it was being reviewed after it was removed as part of Haddington Road. I'm in the private sector with fairly flexible hours at the moment, if I have to actually be in the office until 5.45 every day I'll have to turn down the AP offer as I have a creche pick up to get to before 6.

Hasn't been restored yet. Not sure when or if it will.

Depending what time you need to leave you'll probably be able to leave earlier under local arrangements. Completely depends on the job though and your management.

That said, while it may not be an everyday occurrence, depending on the job your in, even leaving at 5.45 every day is not guaranteed. But it's a bit of lottery in terms of where you end up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

paul3581 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that AP's aren't eligible for flexitime anymore and haven't been for some time.At one point AP's could choose whether they wanted to participate in flexi or not and a few still have it from that time.

I'm on batch 2 myself and flexi is a big sacrifice (currently HEO). That said, it's been my experience that in practice there is a bit of flexibility for AP's about when they come and go but I would understand that in some sections that may not be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 deskbottle

I'm about to start as an AP and was sent an email by HR saying the whole office, irrespective of rank, can avail of Flexi time. Start anytime between 0800-1000 and finish anytime between 1600-1900. Lunch has to be between 30mins-2hrs between 1230-1430

• Advertisement

Does anyone know from experience, is there any point going for the PO competition? If you finished high up in the AP Comp have you any chance??

deskbottle wrote: »
    Does anyone know from experience, is there any point going for the PO competition? If you finished high up in the AP Comp have you any chance??

Broadly, competitions are always worth a punt. In reality the chances of doing well depends on your performance at the various assessments phases. Underpinned with all of that, of course, is your own experience and achievements.

I've seen COs and EOs getting AP, HEOs getting PO etc.
    As a HEO for example you could have worked on some significant projects with huge outcomes utilising all of the competencies required under the PO competition.
    Many people have significant non-civil service experience also which can demonstrate the required competencies as well.

Outside of performance on the day at assessment centers, individual experience is the main thing that counts in going for a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Danesfort101

Hi, I'm number 65 on the order of merit, Batch 2 and only have a Regional location chosen. I haven't heard anything and part of me doesn't expect to. I rang to find out my place on the Regional Panel and felt like I was wasting their time in PAS. ..... Very few jobs outside of Dublin was more or less what was said. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gics

Hi, I'm number 65 on the order of merit, Batch 2 and only have a Regional location chosen. I haven't heard anything and part of me doesn't expect to. I rang to find out my place on the Regional Panel and felt like I was wasting their time in PAS. ..... Very few jobs outside of Dublin was more or less what was said. :-(

To be honest most of us with regional locations on batch one were told the exact same thing and so far there has been very little regional movement. It really depends on your region & assume it will be later in the lifetime of the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'm about to start as an AP and was sent an email by HR saying the whole office, irrespective of rank, can avail of Flexi time. Start anytime between 0800-1000 and finish anytime between 1600-1900. Lunch has to be between 30mins-2hrs between 1230-1430

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. The arrangement was that people at AP who had it kept it until they moved grade, and no new appointments at AP level got access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Rosiebeans81

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. The arrangement was that people at AP who had it kept it until they moved grade, and no new appointments at AP level got access to it.

To my (limited) knowledge it is sometimes granted at local level as long as you work the hours required and stay within the constraints of the core hours they allow it in a lot of places.

To my (limited) knowledge it is sometimes granted at local level as long as you work the hours required and stay within the constraints of the core hours they allow it in a lot of places.

Rather than being granted, it's probably that the rules aren't being enforced by the organisation/manager involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GenevaW

Would you mind PMing me what Dept you got? I'd love to get somewhere with this local arrangment :)

Rather than being granted, it's probably that the rules aren't being enforced by the organisation/manager involved.

Possibly yes, but if the correct number of hours are being completed and the work being done is done well I don't see there being any issue in local arrangements. I know if I was ever to get an AP post I'd be delighted to accept the flexi time if it was made available to me.

Congrats on the post deskbottle and hope it works out well!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Possibly yes, but if the correct number of hours are being completed and the work being done is done well I don't see there being any issue in local arrangements. I know if I was ever to get an AP post I'd be delighted to accept the flexi time if it was made available to me.

its one thing if your manager is agreeing locally that you work 8-5 or whatever

that isn't the same as being on the flexi time clock with the ability to take flexi leave etc

• Advertisement

In many AP jobs, more than the required hours are delivered. In my view it is about give and take, providing nobody takes the p1$$. A good manager should be able to work with staff about what works the best and delivers the most without sticking to global rules.

Uriel. wrote: »
    In many AP jobs, more than the required hours are delivered. In my view it is about give and take, providing nobody takes the p1$$. A good manager should be able to work with staff about what works the best and delivers the most without sticking to global rules.

Exactly yes.

Uriel. wrote: »

Agreed. Definitely more than the required hours are delivered by most, some obviously do the bare minimum also.

I'd love to see that email if it went around a Department as described, that's another matter entirely.

It's correct.......and being perfectly frank, there's not a chance I'd be working in a position at this senior a level without some kind of a common sense arrangement in place to accommodate family commitments, etc.

It's correct.......and being perfectly frank, there's not a chance I'd be working in a position at this senior a level without some kind of a common sense arrangement in place to accommodate family commitments, etc.

http://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/per/2013/11.pdf

Going by the above it's not. Unless it's been revoked and replaced with something else coming out of the recent pay talks?

Local arrangements, i.e. your PO being too busy to be bothered about things like this, are one thing. An organisation choosing to ignore a Circular entirely - that's another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

For clarification purposes (and I think there's a bit of confusion on the issue of flexi here) access to the flexible working hours arrangement is available to staff who are subject to the clocking in system - ie : 4 clock records per day -morning evening and 2 at lunchtime.

That way staff can "work up" in excess of their 43 odd hours per week - therefore "building up " flexi credit (up to a maximum of 11 and a half hours i think) with which the staff member can avail of additional flexi leave (outside of their annual leave entitlement) up to a maximum of 1 and a half leave days per 4 week flexi period .

In relation to APs (all new ones and the majority of existing ones ) they are not required to clock in and out and therefore do not accumulate hours on a flexi clock system and therefore are not in a position to take "flexi" leave.

Given that in a year, a staff member on the flexi clock system (HEO/AO and below for the most part with a smattering of long serving APs) could potentially take 18 "flexi leave " days per year if they work up the required hours each month , this is a significant loss for anyone moving from these grades to an AP post .

Re an APs flexibility in terms of working hours, while they are not "slaves to the clock" they invariably work above and beyond the 43 hours per week required without any extra renumeration - however, it is clearly stated in the circular for the competitions that the salary takes account of any extra hours worked

Hope this is of benefit information wise to some

If you're relying on flexitime I'd clarify that applies to an AP before you take the post, the answer you get will be completely different to what's in the email.

Flexitime is no longer available to new APs (though I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back at some stage in the future), flexible working arrangements might be available in some offices but they are completely discretionary and can be taken away as quickly as they're given.

Has anyone heard anything from PAS recently? Particularly any movement in the regions for
    anyone at all?

Has anyone heard anything from PAS recently? Particularly any movement in the regions for
    anyone at all?

Yes!!! I just got an email from them... to fill out a feckin survey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

I got an email that there was a message in my inbox nearly had a heart attack thinking it was my regional offer ...,no fear..a bloody survey!!

Advertisement