Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Great report. Congrats on the PB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I was waiting for this race report to see how you got on! Well done to you. It can be hard when the mind tries to win out over the legs. Sounds like you had a great race! Great strong finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice one J, congrats on the PB - I didn't hang around at the end - walked down with Farreller and Johnny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Good mad J, nice to bag a PB there.

As i said to AMK (and yourself last week), you need to be well forward for a clean first mile in Raheny.

I was in a "stitch" pain fest from mile 2 - 4, so lost out badly on the day.

Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Super running & brill race report:) Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Well done congratulations on the PB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant run J great stuff. Some start to 2020 long may it continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Great racing - and a great read! Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Great racing J.
    Epic report as always, could almost feel every stride! Amazing attention to detail in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Super pb J, superbly ran. I was so impressed with you yesterday, how in the zone you were. You looked so strong.

Can't get my head around how you're always able to remember such fine details of a race :pac:

Great report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Love your reports. Always exciting and great insight into the inner monologue that goes on. Well done on the pb. Hard to know if those delays at the start cost you or actually benefited you. Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Super report as always! Huge congrats on the PB... great to see.

Do you not wear the watch during races?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Congrats on the PB, I really enjoyed the race report. Your confidence must be sky high at the moment, racing brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

OOnegative wrote: »
    Super stuff again J, delighted for you on the new PB!!!

Thanks B, I was still getting used to the old one! This one will last a bit longer :D
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great read as always J. Really strong finish, well done. On reading a few race reports I actually believe that the slower first mile suited lots of people and may in fact have been a benefit to their race.

Thanks S, that's undoubtedly true. Not so sure with me though. I was getting a bit frustrated with the slow opening, and was worried I might end up overcompensating. mister paul timed his opening mile at 6:51, so it would seem I was actually something like 6:45-6:50 for that one. It felt a lot slower!
    ariana` wrote: »
    Ah i was waiting for this! Brilliant report as we've come to expect. Well done on a brilliant performance too. You kept it going even with all the mental acrobatics.

Ah thanks E. Yes I have those in every race to which I attach any significance. Sometimes I win those battles :D
    Great report. Congrats on the PB

Nice one, more to follow I hope!
    Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I was waiting for this race report to see how you got on! Well done to you. It can be hard when the mind tries to win out over the legs. Sounds like you had a great race! Great strong finish!

Thanks AM, you had a great run yourself! I enjoyed the trip over to your log.
    Nice one J, congrats on the PB - I didn't hang around at the end - walked down with Farreller and Johnny.

Cheers A. Lads done good - quite a few PBs to be had, throughout the field.
    MisterDrak wrote: »
    Good mad J, nice to bag a PB there.

As i said to AMK (and yourself last week), you need to be well forward for a clean first mile in Raheny.

I was in a "stitch" pain fest from mile 2 - 4, so lost out badly on the day.

Well done again.

Thanks D. Next time I think I'll just park myself beside your gang at the start, and we'll see what happens from there. I'd an idea you were struggling, given I didn't encounter any resistance as I went by, but still you were under 34 :D
    Super running & brill race report:) Well done!

Thanks E! That was more an observation over on your log by the way (as opposed to a challenge) :pac:
    Well done congratulations on the PB

Cheers S, a great race to be able to take part in. Well done to you too.
    Brilliant run J great stuff. Some start to 2020 long may it continue!

Thanks C, plenty more good days to come fingers crossed!
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    Great racing - and a great read! Well done

Thanks R, glad you enjoyed it. Sure if it makes that commute a bit easier :D
    Great racing J.
    Epic report as always, could almost feel every stride! Amazing attention to detail in it.

Thanks J, I'm not sure how or why I remember that much about these races, but it helps with the writing I suppose :D
    Lazare wrote: »
    Super pb J, superbly ran. I was so impressed with you yesterday, how in the zone you were. You looked so strong.

Can't get my head around how you're always able to remember such fine details of a race :pac:

Great report.

Nice one C. I'm not normally that tuned in with a mile to go of 5. I think the fact that I knew it was on at that stage gave me more incentive.
    Love your reports. Always exciting and great insight into the inner monologue that goes on. Well done on the pb. Hard to know if those delays at the start cost you or actually benefited you. Congrats

Thanks P, glad you enjoyed it, took me a while to put together :D I doubt if I will have the same kind of delays in any other race this year. Looking forward to testing out that theory.
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Super report as always! Huge congrats on the PB... great to see.

Do you not wear the watch during races?

Thanks A, no I'm proper old school. Hard to manage these things by feel/effort. I think I'm slowly but surely improving in that area.
    tbukela wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB, I really enjoyed the race report. Your confidence must be sky high at the moment, racing brilliantly.

Thanks T, yes a lot of positivity round here these days! It weren't always thus. More happy reports to follow soon.

To quickly summarise what's gone on since...

Mon 27/1 - Rest

Tue 28/1 - 5.18 miles @9:11/mi

A boring DOMS-free three Carpo loops, only notable for the fact that I wore a hat and gloves throughout. Five years away from playing GAA has me going all soft in my old age. I decided to have a bit of fun on the Strava, by mentioning the absence of leggings. Fair play to OOnegative and Swash - they knew how that was to work. I set them up, ye knock them down :pac:

Wed 29/1 - Club session, Morton Stadium

No traffic drama en route to Santry this time, but we did have a strong breeze and steady drizzle in our faces from 250-450m of the 6 x 600 (200m w/u) reps. I was feeling a bit leggy after the race, but got my bearings after what felt like a super slow opening (2:20). Pleased with my ability to significantly increase the pace in short bursts - might try a bit more of that in the future. For the others, my times were 2:18/2:15/2:14/2:15/2:11 - a bit more gas on the last one.

Thu 30/1 - 5.58 miles @9:08/mi

I think I changed my planned route three times in running. I eventually decided to include the long (c. 0.9 miles) drag from Blanch Main Street up to the "Millennium" (Power City) roundabout, into the strong breeze for added impact. Not very exciting, but needs must. No repeat of Tuesday's chills.

Fri 31/1 - Rest

January Review

A double parkrun on New Year's Day brought plenty of cheer, more for the fact that I was comfortable for the runs to and from than the runs themselves (22:45/22:25). Another parkrun three days later brought a disappointing 21:xx outcome, however, as mister paul pointed out, it was 3 x 3.1 mile tempo runs in three days, so realistically I shouldn't have been expecting much better.

My first race of the year was a windy but mostly dry BHAA Bank of Ireland XC at Tymon Park. A footwear malfunction at the start didn't impede me unduly, and I was very happy with an improvement on my result in the 2019 race (42% vs. 45%). The good mood continued over in Cherryfield, as I shocked myself with a 33:08 time in the BHAA Eir 5 mile XC. One of those where I just ran and didn't think about times, most of it just seemed to click into place for me. Good ground again, but to be fair there were a few nice little ups and downs (x 3) to negotiate.

So on to Raheny. Even though the cross had certainly put it out there that a sub 33 was on the cards, I would still have to beat my course PB (35:17) by over two minutes to get it. As ye know, I'm one of the kings of the internal chat in these here parts. It doesn't make such races any easier, but believe you and me, it's more satisfying when things do work out!
    Major kudos to whoever took the FB photos for My Run Results. There's a great photo of me going by a fella wearing pink Nike 4%s just before the finish line. In the finish straight I also passed a chap in an Armagh GAA jersey, and some Raheny young wan, among others. Not bad for an aul fella wearing an ancient and war weary (2 years old?) pair of New Balance (860 v.9). Had I not emptied the tank there, yes I would have got the PB, but I'd have been rightly annoyed over missing sub-33. Just shows you the value of giving it your best till the end.

Races: 3
    parkruns: 3
    Mileage: 110
    Days Active: 19/31

Next

I'm hoping to run XC races on the first four of five Saturdays in February (including National Masters on the 8th), with a Leap Year Day parkrun on the 29th. As previously mentioned, I have entered the GIR. However, I will not be running the K Club. With a few non running related trips happening down the line, some other planned races have been cut from my provisional schedule, including the Inishbofin HM - but I'm thinking the Terenure 5 might give me a chance to improve on the Raheny time.

As well as that, I won't be taking the start for the Connemara HM either. Hence, I'm offering you, the reader, an opportunity to take my entry. Like I say, at the moment it's for the half, but it can be changed to the full (or ultra!) if you wish. PM me if you're interested. Hope to see some of ye down by the Magazine Fort on Saturday. Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

J - have you ran Terenure before? Its the hilliest flattest race I've ever done. Never ran well at it.
    Dunboyne BHAA 5m in May is the one to target.

Terenure is deceptively tricky - that drag from KCR up to Templeogue is particularly tough, from what I remember. I ran it three years in a row, from 2013 to 2015 inclusive. 2014 saw me set a PB (34:08) which stood for more than five years, until Bettystown last July. However, in 2015 I had a shocking 35:44 there, and I haven't been back since.

As for Dunboyne, I've run it twice before. In contrast to yourself, I didn't run well there on either evening - 35:32 (2014) and 35:24 (2016). I won't be around for it this year, although I'd like to have another crack at it some day.

Sat 1/2 - BHAA Garda XC, Phoenix Park

As January turned to February in the midst of a howling gale overnight, once the sun rose it was time for me to spring back into cross country action. Yeah, I know. Not your usual highbrow stuff :pac:

I'd run this race four years in a row, but skipped it last year due to a clash with the National Masters. Arrived nice and early, had a chat with RedRunner as I was collecting my number. Back up to the car to grab the spikes for a 2.5 mile warmup (one long lap, one short) with Graham and Paddy. With the course being so exposed, we were wide open for the gale force blasts. After cheering on the women (featuring HelenAnne and Marthastew) through their 2 mile race, it was time to ditch the layers and head to the start for a few strides.

Lap 1

Plenty of room to line up across the Acres, yet there was still a bit of congestion initially, as people were reluctant to run through the clumpy grass. Once it opened out a bit, I took off, and made up about 20 places in jig time. When we turned at the Magazine Fort, it seemed like there was a gale behind us. "Only" 4 miles today. No messing. Turn right, down into the gully, as opposed to heading straight over the Munich hills. Sharp left, and up the hill from the bottom of the Khyber, for about 400? metres. Days like this, it feels like a lot longer. Shorten the stride, work the arms, move a bit further up the running order. Wind at the top of the climb is straight in our faces. Oooofff. The shelter in the trees is warmly welcomed! Ian (on photography duty today) gives me a shout as I pass him. Down the hill into the valley, no time to ease off. Tough little climb back to the start/finish straight. Push hard past the finish. Close the gap to the group ahead. That's the short one done!

Lap 2

Still lots of work to do - grit the teeth and dig in. It's like someone turns the wind off at the Magazine Fort. No time for breathers though. One or two pass me at the start of the hill, but I return the favour nearer the top. Feeling the pain at the top, but we're not even at halfway yet. Remember that this is about getting that sense of HTFU that I'll need for the Nats, and dig in again.

At the end of the valley, the short and long laps diverge, as we go right up a short stiff climb and turn left alongside the Khyber Road. On my warmup lap, there was a pole at the right turn, which I understood we were to go around. However, this was gone for the race itself. A few lads took advantage, and shaved about 15-20 metres off the corner. One was a fella who I'd beaten in Cherryfield, and I made it my business to beat him again for that. A regular too. Disappointing to say the least.

Those of you who follow Laura C on Strava will have read about her encounter with a parkrun cheat in Cork yesterday. It drives me mad that people would be so desperate to do this, especially when hardly anyone else even knows we're there! Anyway. Work to the end of the trees, almost up to the Papal Cross, then turn left, following the tree line. When I turn left, it's like I'm hit with a left hook, the wind is that strong. Left again and now it's from the side. I pass a DCH guy and another fella wearing a Derby Dale AC top - there had been a mini race going on between us for a while. Nice to get a few shouts on the way around actually :D This is the longest straight in the race, all the way back to the fort. No feeling sorry for myself - one more long lap.

Lap 3

Get a shout from Tommy Swift as I turn left at the Magazine Fort, and hammer it down the hill as hard as I can. About a mile to go as we climb the Khyber hill for the last time. Fight the pain, come on! Wind nearly knocks me backwards at the top, but I battle through it, knowing there's only a few minutes left. Get a shout from RedRunner as I descend through the trees. Dig in hard up the short drag to the Khyber Road. Only about maybe three minutes to go. Pass another one or two. Soak up the blast of wind on the first turn left. Over the mat. 500 metres? left. Just put the foot down, and see where it takes us. Get a shout from Marthastew with about 200 remaining. Of course, she also knows the fella chasing me :pac: Doing my damnedest to keep him at bay, when some kid comes blasting by on my right. Ah here, leave ir ou! I thought that might be it, but then the other fella got me with a few strides to go - AIB, think he runs with DSD? A little bit disappointed that I didn't keep him behind me, but overall a pleasing outcome.

Position: 62/196
    Time: 27:43

Because there are so many running this race as part of the 5 Alive Challenge (aimed primarily at new runners), percentages are misleading when trying to compare to other events. What I can say is that yesterday was a course PB, 46 seconds faster than 2018. In such windy conditions, I'll take that, although the course was quite dry, which certainly helped when attempting to go through the gears. I also got a couple of nice scalps which I hadn't been expecting. Had a good chat with FBOT afterwards, before throwing the layers back on and heading home. Probably one of my best BHAA performances ever.

Sun 2/2 - 11.85 miles @8:41/mi

Between the race, and drinks while watching the Dubs win away to Mayo, I thought this morning might be a major struggle. How wrong I was. Great to have the company heading around the Phoenix Park as the sun came up. Even on tired legs, and with a bit of a woolly head on me at first, the miles flew by. Another successful week in the bag. Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

That’s a great run in the XC. I was looking at the pictures and the amount of pained faces made me kinda glad I missed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

You're in fine form at the moment! I'm only belatedly getting to read your Raheny report, and now I get two for the price of one with the XC too. Well done on both! Some wind out in the park yesterday, not easy racing by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

That’s a smashing performance on the back of Raheny J, in great shape lately, keep it going.

• Advertisement

Another great week J some running just now. In fine nick heading for Avondale. Hoping to make it down to watch.

Also another weekend closer to league being over!

C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I have to say I'm seriously impressed with how much quality racing you get in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Racing yourself fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Plenty of room to line up across the Acres, yet there was still a bit of congestion initially, as people were reluctant to run through the clumpy grass. Once it opened out a bit, I took off, and made up about 20 places in jig time.

You certainly did take off; I started right behind you and 200m in you were completely out of sight and gone. Great racing!

That’s a great run in the XC. I was looking at the pictures and the amount of pained faces made me kinda glad I missed it!

Thanks P. Yes, he picked some fine spots for photos, around the top of the Khyber hill and at the finish line - not much showboating going on there!
    eyrie wrote: »
    You're in fine form at the moment! I'm only belatedly getting to read your Raheny report, and now I get two for the price of one with the XC too. Well done on both! Some wind out in the park yesterday, not easy racing by any means.

Thanks C :) glad you're getting the value from reading here :D Yes, the wind made it more difficult, but at the same time more satisfying when it went well.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    That’s a smashing performance on the back of Raheny J, in great shape lately, keep it going.

Thanks B. I think I made the right decision in choosing this one over the Trim 10. While there were some fine performances from such as Healy and quick feet, some others I know got badly burned out there. I'd love to think I could have just sat in behind the 70 min pacers, and then cruised by whenever I felt like it, but the reality may well have been somewhat different.
    Another great week J some running just now. In fine nick heading for Avondale. Hoping to make it down to watch.

Also another weekend closer to league being over!

C

Thanks C, hope I can keep my good run going, and that the Nats don't turn out to be a race too far. I think I'd about ten behind me last year, so surely I can do better this time?

Yes, hard to believe the Reds are 22 points clear at this stage of the season, yet the haters are still trying to denigrate their achievements. Exhibit A here.
    I have to say I'm seriously impressed with how much quality racing you get in[/QUOTE
    Racing yourself fit!

Thanks lads, it probably goes against a lot of what wiser heads than me believe, but so far this year it seems to be working. It won't continue like this too much longer, but these races should hopefully stand to me later in the year.
    MrSkinny wrote: »
    You certainly did take off; I started right behind you and 200m in you were completely out of sight and gone. Great racing!

Thanks G, nice to see you on Saturday. Good to know I didn't imagine that bit :pac: the bit of speedwork in Santry seems to be helping me in that area.

Mon 3/2 - Rest

Letting all the Super Bowl over indulgence settle.

Tue 4/2 - 5.21 miles @9:00/mi

Out, loop around, loop again (and again), sin an méid.

Wed 5/2 - Club session, Morton Stadium

For a few minutes it was touch and go whether I'd make it, as my wife got stuck in work. However, one of the new lads saved the day, which I was very pleased about, as I wasn't looking forward to paced miles through Laurel Lodge. After a few warmup laps, stretches and strides, I was ready for 6 x 600 (200m w/u). Delighted with these, particularly from a consistency standpoint. 2:13/2:13/2:13/2:13/2:14/2:08 - I gave it a bit of welly on the last lap, for a nice bit of stat padding :)

Thu 6/2 - 4.89 miles @8:45/mi

By the numbers plod around D15. Well, not quite. I have to say I was a bit concerned by my overall time here. Maybe there were less traffic related stops than usual? Can't remember now, although I do recall walking down the far side of the railway/canal bridge into Roselawn - a common occurrence, as the path is so narrow, and it's quite a busy road.

Fri 7/2 - Rest

Sat 8/2 - National Masters XC, Avondale - Helter Skelter

Pre Race

Coming off a run of PBs and/or improved finishing positions, beforehand I was quite confident of improving on last year's Nats debut. On that day at a cold and wet Dundalk IT, I'd only about 10 behind me out of 250 or so. Perhaps not surprising, considering I'd been on a cruise, followed by a few days in Orlando, returning over half a stone heavier.

So what would constitute "nailing the Nats" for me? I will (almost certainly!) never be in a position to contest a category win, let alone win the thing. Being realistic, probably less than 90%, in addition to feeling that I gave it my best, as opposed to just turning up and throwing on the singlet. I got most of a warmup lap done before the Masters Women got away. That hill is going to knock a few for six, right enough. Cheered the women home while stretchin and stridin.

Bit of a wait at the start line, while Lucy was trying to weed out O/65s who should have been running with the Masters women. Good luck to Fletch, who's looking fit and ready to knock it out of the park. overpronator is over yonder, out of range. I have to say I'm having a few feelings of imposter syndrome, even though there are quite a few BHAA regulars lining up. Would this be the race that's one too many?

Lap 1

In this 7k race, we first complete a short 1k loop, followed by three 2k laps. Uphill start, I'm about three quarters of the way through the field. I can spot Tom C (who I surprisingly beat last week) over to my left. Lots of others I don't recognise. Start off slow, I'm thinking. Downhill after we pass the finish, then a bit of a drag - I can actually see Mel at this stage! - and a loop down below the start area. I did laugh looking at the video on My Run Results this morning. Even with less than a kilometre gone, I'm nowhere near featuring in the clip :pac: I nearly go on my snot at the start of the left hander. Tom F gives me a shout as he goes by on the inside. Hang on to him, I'm thinking - Porterstown bragging rights up for grabs again! Up through a narrow tree lined section, where somebody has come a cropper, so we're steered around him. "Only" 6k to go. 'Kinell.

Lap 2

"When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide,
    Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride"

I know, the Beatles weren't on about cross country racing at all. Even Charles Manson didn't interpret the lyrics as such :D Never mind! Downhill again to start. Not too bad at the start, then into a heavy, wet and steep section. I very nearly lose the legs from under myself. Brake, brake! Just get through this bit, and pick up on the drag to the bottom bend. Left around the bottom, with the wind behind us initially. Get a few places back, although Tom has pulled away. Breathe in, breathe out. Here we go! "The Big Ride" is only about 200 metres long perhaps, but it's a steep climb which really hurts the legs, and even first time around, I've to work my a$s off to get up and drive on at the top. Down through the drop around the start, neatly dodging a tree branch! Loop to the left, a Bros Pearse guy in my mirrors, I move cleanly to the left to block that move. Hard up to the finish. Great support from Emilia and Eimear, as well as Caroline (I think) around here. Not even half way there yet. My legs are in ribbons already. Sweet lord.

Lap 3

A former work colleague ran in the Masters women's race, and she's out on the course in several spots to give me badly needed support. In a way that steep downhill is nearly as bad as the hill opposite. I'm that worried about falling that I'm almost down to walking pace. Pick it up again, come on! Bit of downhill coming back to the Big Ride. Hammer it now, get back to the group ahead. Shorten the stride. Work the arms! Hard! Push! I've another Bros Pearse on my six (BHAA regular, 3:07 in DCM 2019) as well as three Sportsworld lads, all of whom are marks for me. They're getting plenty of shouts, so I know they're close! Can't ease off at the top of the hill. Try to find a less slippy route around the bend, and pick it up again on the drag back to the finish. I can see 23 minutes plus gone on the clock. Not lapped. One more round.

Lap 4

The downhill is really no advantage for me. As I'm trying to stay upright through the slop, a Tuam lad absolutely belts down the hill. Wouldn't have worked for me. Try to make up the difference after. On the radar as we turn around the bottom of the course for the last time - Tuam, two Tullamore Harriers, GCH, and the first mentioned Bros Pearse. Catch one of the Harriers before the climb. Can't stop now. Legs are on fire going up the steep hill. If I stop I could lose a lot of places. Not good enough. Stay on it. Catch GCH half way up, even though I feel like I'm barely moving. Desperate, but I know there's not long to go after this. I think I've got the other Tullamore guy, but he turns on the afterburners at the top of the hill, and I can't respond. Last descent towards Avondale House. Round the bend, and now uphill to the finish. 200 to go. If that. Give it everything. I'm catching Bros Pearse and Tullamore. Few seconds left. Leave it all out there! Finish comes too soon for me though - at least as far as catching those two is concerned. In a heap after I cross the line, but I've done it, on a real cross country course in windy (but thankfully dry!) Wicklow.

Position: 222/258
    Category: 37/42 M45
    Time: 32:31

So yes, a big improvement on last year. Time was a lot slower than 2019 (30:56). However, I would counter that this one is much more like a true cross country course than running around the soccer and GAA pitches in Dundalk IT. Here, I never felt like I was getting any respite - virtually everything was up or down, to a greater degree than any XC course I've taken on before. The beginnings of Storm Ciara added to the fun, but we had a fair bit of tree cover, and the rain stayed away. Overall, plenty of reasons to be cheerful on the "breezy" drive back to D15.

Next

Still a bit to go in my XC season, with two BHAA races on the cards. The first is the long 5 miler at ALSAA next Saturday, with a new 4 miler the following Saturday at Wesley College. After that, I'm back to the roads, for a tilt at the Carlingford Half. Still no takers for the Connemara Half. Just so you know.

Sun 9/2 - 6.80 miles @9:17/mi

Between the race, getting drenched while supporting the Dubs, and then a few beers at a family birthday party, it was a struggle to get out of bed and down to Castleknock Gate for 8:45. It was well worth it though. Just a lap of the Park for me this time. Spotted scotindublin and his merry men over by Garda HQ. Very few bodies around this morning - not that many ran 50k races or cross country yesterday :D The wind hit us full on between Ashtown Gate and the Castleknock roundabout - it was just a relief to get out of the way of it. Chalk it up. No way would I have done that run on my own today. Leanfaimid ar aghaidh! Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Well done on the nationals run, your XC reports read as proper racing accounts. Great stuff, keep it going, you are having a great start to the year.

Great effort yesterday that was some killer hill to negotiate! A few of the DH masters were traumatised after their warm up lap!

tbukela wrote: »
    Well done on the nationals run, your XC reports read as proper racing accounts. Great stuff, keep it going, you are having a great start to the year.

Cheers T ! Back to run of the mill roady stuff soon. Hope I can bring the form with me :D
    Great effort yesterday that was some killer hill to negotiate! A few of the DH masters were traumatised after their warm up lap!

Nice one C. Judging by how far most/all of your lads left me behind, they got over their collective trauma fairly quickly :pac: Super course, and hopefully I'll get to race it again while my times and overall performance levels are still on an upward curve.

• Advertisement

Wed 12/2 - Club session, Morton Stadium

Nice easy warmup laps to get rid of the Santry chill, before facing into the 600s. Very pleased with the first four (2:15/2:13/2:13:2:13), Fifth rep was 2:18. Raging. I'd really slipped off, and I was determined to put it right for the last one. 2:08 was the result for the last 600, which left me in a much better mood going home.

Thu 13/2 - 4.72 miles @8:47/mi

Feeling it a bit in the beginning, but eased into some sort of rhythm on the way through Laurel Lodge. Pace was up and down, but this was just about getting a few easy miles in.

Fri 14/2 - Rest

Sat 15/2 - BHAA Alsaa XC, Dublin Airport

Pre Race

To say I wasn't targeting this race would be a major understatement. I ate tonnes of rubbish most of the week, and I was out for dinner and drinks with my wife on Friday night. Even so, I was hoping it would get the go ahead, with Storm Dennis raging outside. No news on the FB. I decided to make the 20 minute drive across. We're on! Windy warmup lap, before the women started their 2 miler. 5 miles for us.

Lap 1

Into the breeze to the top of the course, almost right up to the R132 (Old Airport Road) before looping back and turning into the next field. At this stage I'm back and forth with Tom C and a girl from Cru (the 2nd F in Eir). More into the breeze, over to the straight alongside the graveyard. Here, it's more of a crosswind and very slightly downhill, but it's dry. Caprica goes by - I encourage him to push on. I'm passing more than being passed as we work our way to the heavier ground at the bottom of the course - really wet and spongy. Myself and Cru pass each other several times, before she pulls away heading back through where the start was. I'm not feeling this at all.

Lap 2

More wind, as I lose a couple more places where it's most open. It's hard to get any kind of momentum, except for maybe alongside the graveyard and then in left past the women's start, where the gale is at our backs. Couple more pass, and already I'm trying to work out how much longer it will take me to finish this :rolleyes: Couple of lads dodging outside the marker poles, to miss the worst of the slop at the bottom. Distance wise much the same, but even so. 2 laps to go.

Lap 3

Cru girl gets a shout from Susan (on the mic, having run herself earlier) who corrects herself to say "*over* half way". Also ahead, I can see Caprica, Tom C and CK, among others. On another day, I'd have been gunning for them. RedRunner is stewarding today, and does his best to keep me in the zone. However, I'm more distracted by the planes overhead, thinking I'm glad I'm not trying to land or take off in that. Bit of back and forth with a guy from Dublin Bus, but I seem to have his measure as we come back out of the slop. Looks like that's one battle I might win.

Lap 4

More support from R heading into the large field by the graveyard. I'm catching an older guy with good hair. Maybe I'll make up a place. Even on the last lap, I'm not really in the game though. Feeling a bit sorry for myself in the bottom field, but I still manage to take out good hair guy. Past the hay bales, and into the start and finish field. A guy who finished just ahead of me in Cherryfield goes by me into the wind at the start of the last field. Ok, I think I have this. Sit behind until we turn at the top, and then let fly. RedRunner cheers me down to the finish. Well I got that one to work. Bit of a shock seeing 40 minutes on the clock. I'm thinking that can't be right, until Caprica confirms it. Course was anything from 5.4 to 5.5 miles long, depending on who you spoke to.

Position: 46/111
    Time: 40:20
    Category: 8/12 M45

Frustrating to have to run such a long course in those conditions, but like I say, it wasn't a goal race. Despite my lack of focus before and during, I still managed a slightly better percentage finishing position than in the Eir race, so that's something good to take away.

Sun 16/2 - 9.30 miles @8:48/mi

Easy miles with clubmates, making it my business to go straight through the puddles. I had planned to run about 12 miles today, but I was feeling quite tired after Saturday, so I decided to leave it at 9+.

Next

My last cross country race of the season, as the BHAA tour moves to Wesley College, for the new combined Central Bank XC, organised by RedRunner. I'm expecting good things from that one, as I said to the man himself yesterday. Hope to see some of you there. Thanks for reading. J.

Advertisement