Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great race report & great time too :D
    Well done! Hope you enjoyed the celebrations;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done J you ran a great race I agree with C you are being way to hard on your self fastest 5k in a year I think that is something to be proud about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I've yet to have a good JB myself, so wasn't too devastated to miss it this year. A lot of what happened to you happens to me every year! Maybe a little breather after closing the gap on the Furze might have been in order? Who knows though - it is what it is. Good luck next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Lazare wrote: »
    Great report J. Said this to you yesterday too but I honestly feel you're being too hard on yourself. You ran a great race.

I know it's good sometimes to be hard on yourself but unwarranted in this case imo. You ran your fastest time this year, and close to your best..

Bravo.

Cheers C. Actually fastest in 2 1/2 years, 14 seconds faster than Docklands 2019. Would have been sub 20 as well had I pushed for the line, but I knew the PB was well gone at that stage. Having said that, it's a lot better than my last "attempt" at a 5k PB, back in Kilcock.
    Great race report & great time too :D
    Well done! Hope you enjoyed the celebrations;)

Thanks E, glad you enjoyed reading it, sorry I missed you! Celebrations were fun all right, and I got home at a reasonable hour (by Christmas party standards!), so all good :D
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Well done J you ran a great race I agree with C you are being way to hard on your self fastest 5k in a year I think that is something to be proud about :)

Thanks N, well done yourself, sorry I missed you.
    Lazare mentioned to me beforehand that two of your lads were running. I remember battling with one or two teenagers during it. Judging by the times, one of them was yours. Fair play to him :D
    Murph_D wrote: »
    I've yet to have a good JB myself, so wasn't too devastated to miss it this year. A lot of what happened to you happens to me every year! Maybe a little breather after closing the gap on the Furze might have been in order? Who knows though - it is what it is. Good luck next week!

Perhaps....although starting a bit further forward might also have helped. I think I start too far back in most of these things.

Yes, the cross country will be a sharp contrast :pac: and at the time of writing, it looks like I will be available for the Dublin Masters too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Slightly embarrassed I missed giving you kudos on your Jingle Bells performance J, well done man!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Thanks J , I think I seen you on your warm-up well the back of you LOL we were queuing for the loo Laraze spotted you
    It could very well have been one of my lads they both did very well the older lad wants to run a HM in the new year he is very keen I just want him to do it right.

Mon 9/12 - 6.32 miles @8:59/mi

With the Reds playing early on Tuesday, I decided to bring this one forward. Nothing of note in the run itself that I can recall.

Tue 10/12 - Rest

Wed 11/12 - 5.61 miles @8:19/mi

Our last run under the Porterstown lights this year. Slightly different in that we started off 400 on, 200 off, 600 on, 400 off...then due to a mix up I ended up going 1200 on, 400 off, followed by 800 on, 400 off. Not to worry. Ground was ok anyway.

Thu 12/12 - "5.13 miles @8:59/mi"

Three times around the Carpo loop (Strava still not measuring it properly). Absolutely pashin out. One of those where you just have to get the head down and work through it.

Fri 13/12 - Rest

Sat 14/12 - Porterstown parkrun

Nearly didn't make it out for this. Work party Friday night (not too late, but I drank plenty) and then I got comfy on the couch early Saturday AM, between watching first the darts, and then "In League With Gaddafi", a very interesting piece about Brian Kerr taking a St Patrick's Athletic and Bohemians selection to play in Gaddafi's Libya in 1989. Featuring reminisces from Kerr himself and a few lads who played in the match, it's worth a look, even if you don't have an interest in LOI.

Oh yeah, the parkrun (#131). Freezing. Windy as f0ck. 23:43 was over a minute faster than I intended. Typical :rolleyes:

Sun 15/12 - National Novices XC, Dunboyne

After a Saturday which involved a lot of Christmassy stuff, it was time to gear up for the short drive to Dunboyne. As mentioned previously, this was my 23rd and last race of 2019, and to be honest I wasn't feeling mad about it. Parked over a mile away, before heading back to Cow Park. I nearly lost one of my runners on the very heavy warmup lap, so both were double laced, before I got rid of the creature comforts and did some strides with John B at the start area. RayCun was here, so I wished him well before we lined up. Cold again, but not much wind around, and today at least was sunny and dry.

Lap 1

All lined across the start line, but a delay then while they interviewed the winner of the Novice Women's race. Eventually over 200 cold and cranky athletes were sent on their way. Ground was ok initially, but then we started getting into the heavy sections, left at the end of the top field, and left again into the worst of it. Here, you really were sinking, below your ankle unless you could find a spot along the edge. I could see Tom F ahead, navigating it better than I was! Sharp right into the bottom field, and more heavy ground until we reached the bottom right corner. Here, conditions improved, but already I was feeling a bit mashed. Coming around to end the lap, I have to say that seeing "3" on the board, as in laps to go, was more than a little disheartening. For some reason, we were running 4 x 1500m laps, instead of the 3 x 2k laps I'd taken on here in the 2017 and 2018 Leinster Masters. Anyway, I'd got ahead of BG and another Cru runner. There were more behind us - at this stage I didn't dare look to see how many.

Lap 2

John B and Tom F were gone well clear by now, but I still had the motivation of trying to stay clear of any pursuers. Squelch squelch squelch. Nearly impossible to gain any traction, and a slippy turn into the bottom field, where Tommy C was cheering us on. One of the Crusaders passed me somewhere around here I think. There was a Tullamore man ahead, who seemed to be about to stop every time I looked at him. Surely one I could catch? Half way. Finally. Emilia D spotted me here and gave me a shout.

Lap 3

I had a good battle with a GCH runner here, but he negotiated the heaviest ground better than me, as well as having more energy to push on once we emerged from it. Tullamore was still in range, but as we got to the far corner of the bottom field, at the end of another heavy section, the leaders came through to lap us. No Efrem Gidey, but a good contest nonetheless. While they fought for the medals, I was fighting to keep going through another lap. One to go!

Lap 4

I tried to get a big push on along the start/finish straight, but to be honest there wasn't a lot of improvement. Going through all the slop had taken so much out of me that I nearly stopped in the middle of the heaviest part. Our race was the last of twelve, and I'd say that section was part of the course for all of them! Tullamore looked like he wanted to walk, as he kept looking behind him to see how much of a gap he had. I was just too wiped to take advantage. On the slightly downhill straight to the bottom corner, someone told me I'd 600 to go. I tried to increase my pace, but even getting into the drier parts of the course didn't help much. Tullamore was too far ahead, and I wasn't going to be caught by anyone else, but I tried to pick it up anyway on the finishing straight. Finished. At last!

Position: 210/216
    Time: 29:39

Post Race

I found Tommy and John B (neither of us wanted to do a cooldown lap!) before a quick chat with Tom F, who described it as "a good warmup for the Masters" :D He comprehensively reclaimed the Porterstown bragging rights, after I beat him in Santry. Eventually, I made it back to the car, absolutely frozen, but relieved that I didn't have far to drive home. Bath, dinner and beer when I got home, all badly needed.

Next

No more racing this year. Definitely. Couple more parkruns before the Dublin Masters. In other news, the Inishbofin Half Marathon has been confirmed for May 16. Hopefully we'll be able to travel again. Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Didn't my brother go and book his wedding for the same day as Inishbofin... :rolleyes:

Well done on the XC, I really don't see the appeal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Two race reports to catch up on here - I'm way behind! Well done on both counts. I know you weren't happy with JB but your fastest 5k in over 2 years is a great result, and it was a tough day for it too. As for the XC yesterday - fair play for even lining up for it in the freezing cold! It sounds gruelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Well done on getting stuck in with the Novice. I'm always trying to convince people to line up for it because it's just such a great race to be a part of (even in conditions like yesterday!) and the more people that do it, the more accessible it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Well done on running in really challenging conditions. Great gutsy report as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

we were running 4 x 1500m laps, instead of the 3 x 2k laps I'd taken on here in the 2017 and 2018 Leinster Masters.

J, having seen the course yesterday, I'm amazed that you or anyone managed 4 laps of running in that stew. Fair play!!!!

Fair play J, tougher & braver man than me that’s for sure!! Your a true mudlark!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Sounds like the usual cow park fun and games :D. Even Woody won't walk there in the depths of winter it's so mucky, and he has 4 wheel drive!!! Well done for turning up, and even more well done for sticking it out - I'm a little jealous truth be told, will make it my mission to get running cross country again in 2020.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Didn't my brother go and book his wedding for the same day as Inishbofin... :rolleyes:

Well done on the XC, I really don't see the appeal :pac:

Ah here. Have a word :pac:

Chap doesn't know what he's missing. Make sure he pays for your 2021 entry :D
    eyrie wrote: »
    Two race reports to catch up on here - I'm way behind! Well done on both counts. I know you weren't happy with JB but your fastest 5k in over 2 years is a great result, and it was a tough day for it too. As for the XC yesterday - fair play for even lining up for it in the freezing cold! It sounds gruelling.

Thanks C, I probably don't run enough hard 5ks any more to get a feeling of really going for it. Maybe a fast parkrun soon(ish) might help.
    Sacksian wrote: »
    Well done on getting stuck in with the Novice. I'm always trying to convince people to line up for it because it's just such a great race to be a part of (even in conditions like yesterday!) and the more people that do it, the more accessible it seems.
    tbukela wrote: »
    Well done on running in really challenging conditions. Great gutsy report as always.
    coogy wrote: »
    J, having seen the course yesterday, I'm amazed that you or anyone managed 4 laps of running in that stew. Fair play!!!!
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Fair play J, tougher & braver man than me that’s for sure!! Your a true mudlark!!!
    Sounds like the usual cow park fun and games :D. Even Woody won't walk there in the depths of winter it's so mucky, and he has 4 wheel drive!!! Well done for turning up, and even more well done for sticking it out - I'm a little jealous truth be told, will make it my mission to get running cross country again in 2020.

Thanks all! It's such a difference from the mass participation races. Probably my toughest this year. You also get a taste for the less glamorous side of XC when cleaning your runners afterwards :pac: Unfortunately, not many others among our current (adult - one of our lads won the U17) crop share my grá for cross. Hopefully, that may improve next year.

So no chance of getting Woody trained up for canicross? :D

TL;DR - Just keeping the legs turning over really.

Mon 16/12 - 4.71 miles @9:14/mi

D15 trundle. I felt very heavy legged after the cross country. Even that pace felt like hard work.

Tue 17/12 - Rest

Wed 18/12 - Club session, Abbotstown

On a day when Storm Elsa passed over us, with very heavy rain thrown in, nobody seemed too disappointed to be training indoors - the first time to do so for almost everyone in the group. It was my second time to visit the National Indoor Arena - the first being for a mile race nearly two years ago, where I was lapped by Dubgal, and well beaten by Murph_D and Adrian too. Anyway, after warmup exercises on the far side of the track, the session itself was (400/800) x 3, with short recoveries of maybe a minute or less, depending on when sufficient space was available on the track. I got some decent pace work in, surprisingly so just three days after Dunboyne. Happy with my night's work.

Thu 19/12 - 5.28 miles @8:43/mi

After a night of being spoiled by training indoors, back out in the pouring rain for Carpo loops. Ooooof. I'd forgotten how hard the indoor surface is on the legs. Motivation wasn't easy to come by, but I did manage to get around the loop three times as planned. Freewheeling - a term I'm shamelessly stealing from Healy's log :D

Fri 20/12 - Rest

Sat 21/12 - Porterstown parkrun

Another one that won't go down in the annals, from a personal running point of view at least. In fact, I only turned up because one of our longest serving RDs was stepping away, after walking her 150th parkrun. Another work party meant any kind of a fast time wasn't on. Luckily, about halfway through the first lap, I pulled up alongside Sally's brother, who was in the same boat as me. We dragged each other around :pac: 22:08. L got a wonderful send off - very well deserved. She'll be missed!

Sun 22/12 - 2.98 miles @8:50/mi

The distance above consists of two miles of the Doyle Cup course in Porterstown. 4 laps of cross country, plus a bit at the start to bring it to 6 miles. I wasn't running, due to being in charge of handicaps. As it turned out, the course was in excellent condition, and we had a great finish to the race, so overall I'm very happy with how it turned out. Hopefully, it will be another positive step in getting more out cross country racing in 2020.

Next

If time allows, I'll take in a Christmas Day parkrun, as well as a GOAL Mile in Porterstown on St Stephen's Day, and maybe an attempt at a quick parkrun on Saturday.

As it stands, I'm hoping to run the Hartstown/Porterstown parkrun double on New Year's Day. The roster is looking a bit bare at the moment though. Unfortunately, I won't be around for the Dublin Masters. Hence, I'll have to wait another week for my 2020 racing debut - either BHAA in Tymon, or the Leinster Masters in Gowran.

Thanks for reading. I'll sum up my 2019 running year before it passes. Nollaig Shona oraibh go léir.

Merry Christmas:D

Merry Christmas J, great log to follow this year as always. A job well done on the MSB captaincy!!

Hope Santy was good to ye all. I got a very enjoyable running related present, in the form of "The Dublin Marathon - Celebrating 40 Years". Fair play to HelenAnne from these parts - not only was it her idea, no doubt there was a lot of work involved in the editing.

Christmas Day - Waterstown parkrun

Although we were hosting for dinner, I still had enough time to hop across the Liffey, even though it took an age to thaw out the car window before I could pull out of the drive. The Waterstown car park was particularly treacherous - a chap slid off his bike coming down the hill, and had a very heavy fall which required him to be taken away in an ambulance. With the course fairly slippy too, there would be no PB attempts. Lovely to catch up with AGYR before she heads South, as well as Murph_D, annapr, Bungy Girl, aquinn and mister paul, for more pre-run Christmas cheer. Plenty of other non Boardsies to catch up with too. 24:44 (#133), with D just behind me at the end of his MP run.

St Stephen's Day - 6.91 miles @8:53/mi

With Christmas having been relatively quiet compared to some of the sessions of yesteryear, I was quite comfortable getting out for this. A couple of easy Carpenterstown loops, before I headed to Porterstown for the GOAL Mile. More seasons greetings before and after my stint. I ran with one of the Porterstown Panthers for the first two laps, then picked up the pace a little for the last two, crossing at the end in 7:40.

Fri 27/12 - Rest

Sat 28/12 - Porterstown parkrun (#134)

Originally, I was thinking of a bit of "speedplay" (thanks D) at one of the faster parkruns. Unfortunately, I was feeling fat and sluggish this morning, so I stayed at home. Just as well. Quick reunion with P and A at the start. I pushed the pace more than I normally would as we headed away, but I was caught by clubmate J at the car park on Lap 1. She was flagging along the bottom of the park on Lap 3, so as I pulled up alongside, I said "Stay With Me. Corner is 4k". With that, as soon as we went up that little drag, she was gone, on her way to a course PB - a nice follow up after her first sub-21 in Jingle Bells. 21:15 for me. Nice to chat to mister paul again at the finish.

Sun 29/12 - "9.75 miles @8:37/mi"

As per my Strava - although I know it was over 10, and Barry, my partner in crime for the duration of this stint, had it at over 10 too. Ronan was with us throughout the lap of the Park and up to Castleknock College, and we were joined by one of the faster lads from the zoo to Castleknock Gate. To make up the difference, we followed the DCM course to the OS/Furze crossroads, then left past OS and back up to Castleknock Gate. A very enjoyable run.

Mon 30/12 - Rest

New Year's Eve - 5.50 miles @8:51/mi

D15 dawdling to bring 2019 to a close. I wasn't tempted to go to Howth with the lads.

Ag Féachaint Siar Ar An Deich Mbliana (The Decade In Review)

When I began training for the IKA Run For A Life 10k, fadó sa bhliain 2012, little did I know that it would be the beginning of a journey which would take me to 150 more races (and 134 parkruns!) in the following 7 years and 2 1/2 months. At that time, I was still a perspiring GAA star over in my home town, and I combined the two for another three years. During that period, I ran my first marathon (2014), at the end of a week which we spent moving house before flying to Paris. Not recommended! I also was fortunate enough to lead home a seven runner field, in monsoon conditions at Porterstown in December 2015. For nearly two years, my time that day (22:49) was the slowest ever parkrun first place time in Dublin :D

Since packing in the GAA at the end of 2015, I've managed to increase my racing output, as well as becoming a DCM Graduate in 2016, and having the honour of being the DCM Novices Mentor in 2017. 2018 was a disappointment overall, but I hoped that things would be better going forward.

2012 - Races 3, parkruns 0
    2013 - Races 19, parkruns 5
    2014 - Races 19, parkruns 10
    2015 - Races 15, parkruns 19
    2016 - Races 24, parkruns 32
    2017 - Races 24, parkruns 19
    2018 - Races 24, parkruns 25

Which brings us up to......

2019 - End Of A Decade, Ohh, It's Something Special

Thanks to Blur, for giving me the opportunity to use my allusion.

January

Races - 1
    parkruns - 1
    Mileage - 108
    Days Active 20/31

My running year began on New Year's Day with Hartstown parkrun, before volunteering at Porterstown later, for the 25th time in total. Following the John O'Regan plan for the Connemara Half, I made it to the West County hills for a session, as well as some tricky miles at 10k pace by the road that loops through Laurel Lodge.

Race wise, I took on the BoI XC in Tymon Park. Yes, I made it into the top half (79/174), but there wasn't nearly as much depth as in the Irish Life, so a disappointing performance really. Otherwise, I got 33 miles of warm weather training completed, on the running track of a cruise ship while we sailed around the Caribbean :D During my holidays, I was named as MSB Men's Captain, something I would never have thought was possible when I started with them in 2016.

February

Races - 3 (YTD 4)
    parkruns - 1 (2)
    Mileage - 107 (215)
    Days Active - 18/28 (38/59)

Arriving back to icy D15, there wasn't long to wait before I made my National Masters XC debut. This took place on the hallowed turf of Dundalk IT, where I had studied and played Gaelic football in the 1990s. Having put on half a stone or more during the holidays, this one was really more about getting around, on a wet Sunday afternoon. 225/236 is a result I hope to significantly improve upon, should I make it to the 2020 edition.

The other races were Rás na hÉireann at Oldbridge House (86/114), another distinctly "average" performance. Better the following week, as I ended the cross country season with a 4 mile PB (?!) at a fast and flat Maynooth University course. However, for work reasons I couldn't travel to Connemara, so I had to reluctantly pull the plug on that one, and signed up for the Great Ireland Run instead.

March

Races: 1 (YTD 5)
    parkruns: 1 (YTD 3)
    Mileage: 113 (YTD 328)
    Days Active: 16/31 (54/90)

Basically still using the JO'R plan for sessions, even though I wasn't going to Conn any more. Some of these ended up being somewhat farcical, the "best" being a 3 x 2M @10k pace ( 5 min rec) in gale force winds on the wet Porterstown grass track. When I finished that one, I just had to laugh at the 40 second differential between my fastest mile and my slowest.

Just one race, but one where I felt the love again, and got the rewards, at the BHAA K Club 10k. After a slow start, I ran well, and managed to maintain my focus long enough to bag a 30 second PB (42:49). A lot of grumblings afterwards about the course being short. Even though I started a long way back, and those races are gun timed, it still left a tiny bit of doubt. Either way, it was redemption after my stinker out there in 2018.

April

Races: 1 (YTD 6)
    parkruns: 3 (6)
    Mileage: 66 (394)
    Days Active: 13/30 (67/120)

The Great Ireland Run, on April 14, saw me break a 22 day old 10k PB (42:38), meaning there would be no asterisk alongside it in relation to short courses and whatnot. I ran well and stayed in the game, on a very windy day where I went up the Acres Road hill for the first time in all my races in the Phoenix Park.

Not much else happened running wise in the rest of April. I spent a lot of it preparing for a (successful) job interview - another massive weight off my shoulders, after so many previous disappointments in that area. We were however represented in the National Road Relays in Raheny. Thankfully (as I was struggling with illness) the other three lads all turned up, so I was the unused sub. Hopefully I'll get to run in that one eventually.

May

Races: 3 (YTD 9)
    parkruns: 1 (7)
    Mileage: 118 (512)
    Days Active: 18/31 (85/151)

May began with me spluttering my way around the BHAA Bristol Myers Squibb 5k race, in a time (20:41) that felt every bit as brutal as it sounds. Thanks to Skyblue for pacing me through the ARC Cancer Support 10k, which I was trying to run at HMP, in preparation for the Inishbofin Half. That was a race which I'd been looking forward to taking on for years, and it didn't disappoint. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, even though it might not have always been so obvious to spectators :pac: I even finished in the top ten (8th), which I would never do in any half marathon in Dublin. I hope to be back in 2020, and who knows, I could even improve on 1:43 :D

June

Races: 4 (YTD 13) - the fourth was as a 30 minute pacer in the Castleknock 5k on June 16.
    parkruns: 3 (10)
    Mileage: 127 (639)
    Days Active: 19/30 (104/181)

I began this month with an MLR, finishing with a progression stylee parkrun. I still think that was my best run of the month.

The Irish Runner 5 Mile (June 15) should have seen me break a 5 year old PB. However, between my lace coming undone after a mile, and then not being willing to push hard enough on resuming, I ended up 12 seconds short. In other words, I should have PBd anyway, regardless of footwear malfunctions.

An attempt to break my 5k PB at Docklands would also end in vain. On a warm and sticky evening, I was in decent shape at half way, but fell away shortly after 3k, and hadn't enough in the locker to claw back the deficit on the run for home. 20:20 was my time for this (long?) course.

This prompted me to sign up for a quick 5k distance rematch, out in Kilcock for the Cocas race. I won't go into the whole thing again, but basically I mentally folded up my tent at 2k, then decided to jog in the rest of the way (22:xx). Yet 13 hours later, there I was in Porterstown, chasing Paddy around in 21 minutes!! No wonder so many of you here and on Strava were more than a little bit bemused. Things had to change. Some did.

July

Races: 1 (YTD 14)
    parkruns: 3 (13)
    Mileage: 164 (803)
    Days Active: 21/31 (125/212)

Things did indeed start changing for the better. More and better miles saw the fitness and form coming back. The benefits were there to see in racing terms too. On a warm and sunny Tuesday evening in Bettystown, I had another go at beating my 5 mile PB dating back to Terenure in 2014. Mentally and physically it was very tough, but this time I'd enough steel and moral fibre in store to seal the deal. 33:48 is a 20 second improvement. I like to think I deserved all the cakes and biccies I milled in the golf club afterwards :pac:

August

Races: 2 (YTD 16)
    parkruns: 2 (15) Both of my August parkruns were at the end of LRs.
    Mileage: 151 (954)
    Days Active: 19/31 (144/243)

Still keeping the mileage steady through the first half of August, up to and including the Kilcock 10 Mile. Despite some difficult spells, I finished the tricky canal stretch into the wind strongly, and I was rewarded with a PB of just over a minute (1:10:31). Even though it wasn't the sub 70 I was targeting pre race, I was more than pleased with the outcome. I even got stuck into some blueberry flavour protein milk at the finish. The things I do, so you don't have to :pac:

Not much happened in the rest of August. I'd a bit of a knee niggle, but I'd recovered sufficiently to run the BHAA Pfizer 5k in Clondalkin. 20:37 was a bit rubbish really, but I was mindful of the fact that I hadn't run for six days prior, so it may have been asking a lot to expect much better on the night.

September

Races: 1 (YTD 17)
    parkruns: 2 (17)
    Mileage: 94 (1048)
    Days Active: 16/30 (160/273)

On September 7, I ran a parkrun outside Dublin for the first time ever. A super experience to take on "the steep hill" which was part of Glengarriff parkrun at the time. I even managed to finish 4th, in spite of being full of food (including breakfast) and booze (to a lesser extent).

September 14 was a truly memorable day for me. A sunny morning saw me break my half marathon PB by nearly 3 1/2 minutes in Ratoath. This was later followed by the Dubs beating Kerry to win an historic 5 in a row :D

There were still more good times to come this month, although hard running went by the wayside. Holidays in Portugal saw a lot of early morning beach runs, but no sessions or anything that could be considered strenuous.

October

Races: 3 (YTD 20)
    parkruns: 2 (19)
    Mileage: 93 (1141)
    Days Active: 18/31 (178/304)

I haven't even mentioned in this post till now, that I had an entry for DCM. September really put the seal on any kind of decent run, so I decided to leave it. Not to worry - cross country was back on the menu again.

I improved on last year's result at the Dublin Novices XC, on a mostly dry Phoenix Park course over by the Magazine Fort. 97/112 (from 108/112 in 2018) was pretty good considering I'd been eating and drinking in Portugal for a lot of the previous two weeks. Faster time too, for what that's worth. The Autumn Open at Abbotstown was not for the faint hearted. Here, you had seniors, juniors and masters all starting together, and in a 7500 metre race over 5 laps, you wouldn't want to be sensitive about being lapped or anything. I managed to avoid finishing last, by just one place. My last race of October was the Leinster Novices XC at Gowran. I felt flat from the gun, and was lucky not to actually finish last this time, only pulling away on the final lap of three. I expect a better performance if I'm back there for the Leinster Masters next week.

November

Races: 1 (YTD 21)
    parkruns: 1 (20)
    Mileage: 117 (1258)
    Days Active: 20/30 (198/334)

My only race this month was the BHAA Irish Life XC at Santry. On a sticky course, I performed well overall, but there still remains a concern that I switched off in the closing seconds, thereby costing myself several places. Still, I got the top half finish I came for (99/216). Other than that, I kept my eye in with the club under the winter spotlights at Porterstown.

December

Races: 2 (YTD 23)
    parkruns: 4 (24)
    Mileage: 105 (1363)
    Days Active: 21/31 (219/365)

My first ever 100+ mileage December, to take me well clear of 2000 kms for the year. 1363 is my highest ever year on that front - a big improvement on 2018, when I barely cleared 1000.

As for races, my PB attempt on the temporary Jingle Bells course sadly came a cropper in the second half. I gave myself too much to do having started a long way back, and the hill out of the Furry Glen at 4k put the seal on it. Even so, I could have gone sub 20 for only the second time ever, had I finished it out to the very end. 20:06 was my fastest 5k this year, and fastest since the still standing PB of 19:43, going back to Docklands 2017. The other race was the National Novices XC, on a gluepot of a course at Cow Park in Dunboyne. I finished it, but there wasn't much else to be cheerful about, as I'd only six behind me (210/216) which was a regression from 2018.

Elsewhere, I kept up my parkrun attendance, with 24 for the year being fairly consistent with previous years. Running on 21 days this month was better than I expected, especially with all the seasonal shenanigans going on. Overall, running on three days out of five over the course is the year is poor, and a tally which I should certainly surpass next year.

Well, there ye go. If you've read this all the way through from beginning to end, well done you! Maith thú! Thanks for reading. See you in the 2020s. Happy New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Always a great read J; you may have to brush up on your Blur song titles though.....but being a man of impeccable taste I expect you were more of an Oasis fan!

All the best for 2020 a Happy and Healthy one hopefully;no doubt our paths will cross multiple times over the year. Good luck on Sunday at the XC I will be looking out for you.

Lang may yer lum reek as we say in Scotland.

C

• Advertisement

Always a great read J; you may have to brush up on your Blur song titles though.....but being a man of impeccable taste I expect you were more of an Oasis fan!

All the best for 2020 a Happy and Healthy one hopefully;no doubt our paths will cross multiple times over the year. Good luck on Sunday at the XC I will be looking out for you.

Lang may yer lum reek as we say in Scotland.

C

Thanks C ! Hence, my use of the word "allusion", the song of course being "End Of A Century" You are correct, I was always more into Oasis :D

I can't make the Dublin Masters this Sunday, but no doubt our paths will cross again sooner rather than later :)

Great year & read as always J. Am sure the high standards will continue into 2020. Happy New Year to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Allusion went right over my head.....you are too clever for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

A cracking review of the year there J. This log was a favourite of mine throughout the year, and I'm sure that the high standards will continue into 2020. Happy New Year!

Wow what an amazing year for you :)

Looking forward to reading your 2020 logs!

Happy New year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Great year and great log. All the best for 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Excellent year, J. Some very familiar looking PBs in there. Hope to do battle more often in 2020!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Great year! Hope you have a great 2020 and keep up logs - great inspiration there !

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Great review of your year, always a brilliant read. Best of luck for 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Brilliant review and great post WW. Well done.

Advertisement