Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 3) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Photo suggestion for JohnSBG

A picture of Orlagh eating a bowl of porridge place in between the 2 gold belts.

Not too hot, not too cold, Just Right. Works on many levels.

Right I'm knackered. Bed. Conor McGregor thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Any sign of Tom Egan tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Unreal, just such a perfect performance. What made me happiest was seeing him stuff takedown after takedown. Alvarez has strong takedowns but Conor dusted them off, I was doubtful of his wrestling after the Mendes fight but it was great last night. Distance management impeccable too, key to him lighting up Eddie again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I re-listened to Rogan's commentary of the finish and tbh I didn't hear anything bias or non-bias about it.

I thought he sounded seriously impressed about what he saw, i.e. the equivalent of slowly and silently clapping if you see something amazing! :)

Just goes to show people's different perspectives on the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Conor McGregor.......

What an absolute legend.

Also sbg just wow what they have achieved is absolutely madness. So proud to be irish today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Eatmore

Seen criticism mocking Conor for not following his mantra of being "humble in defeat or victory".

I completely disagree, I thought his post fight comments to Rogan were hilarious!

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I re-listened to Rogan's commentary of the finish and tbh I didn't hear anything bias or non-bias about it.

I thought he sounded seriously impressed about what he saw, i.e. the equivalent of slowly and silently clapping if you see something amazing! :)

I'd agree with you

Pac1Man wrote: »

100% when he said "aww man, he's done" - it was like "sweet jesus McGregor just wrecked him".

His next words were "he didn't just get it done. He did it flawlessly".

There defo appears to be tension between Rogan and Conor from the original Diaz commentary. Coach Kav alluded to the commentary on the MMA Hour. Doubt he'll hold a grudge for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

martyos121 wrote: »
    Got his prediction spot on too, second round finish. Luckily, I took his advice and made a few quid off it. :)

I was so feckin close to taking that bet at 11/2 bud didnt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

What time was the fight actually on at this mornin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

100% when he said "aww man, he's done" - it was like "sweet jesus McGregor just wrecked him".

His next words were "he didn't just get it done. He did it flawlessly".

There defo appears to be tension between Rogan and Conor from the original Diaz commentary. Coach Kav alluded to the commentary on the MMA Hour. Doubt he'll hold a grudge for long.

Yes, and Rogan threw in 'wow' a couple of times too.

Even if his commentary was a bit off for the Diaz fight (I didn't realise this at the time), I don't believe there was any malicious* intent.

He gives him enough credit on his podcast too, along with a few barbs in jest which is probably where this alleged animosity originated from. It would be disappointing if he started to censor himself in that regard.

*Too strong of a word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Sorry guys , not really knowledgeable in the game, but when you talk about Rogan are you referring to Joe Rogan ?
    http://joerogan.net

Great podcasts :D ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sorry guys , not really knowledgeable in the game, but when you talk about Rogan are you referring to Joe Rogan ?
    http://joerogan.net

Great podcasts :D ...

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Eatmore

In the space of 11 months McGregor has knocked out Aldo in 12 seconds, done two welterweight matches against Diaz and now won the lightweight world Championship.

11 months!!

People say he shouldn't be given the lightweight title fight or that his two fights with Diaz were meaningless.

4 massive fights in 11 months and he has a record of 3/4.

Fair play to that man.

Eddie could not handle the pressure. He has been acting erratically all week.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Any estimate on how much he'll have made for the fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Eatmore wrote: »
    In the space of 11 months McGregor has knocked out Aldo in 12 seconds, done two welterweight matches against Diaz and now won the lightweight world Championship.

11 months!!

People say he shouldn't be given the lightweight title fight or that his two fights with Diaz were meaningless.

4 massive fights in 11 months and he has a record of 3/4.

Fair play to that man.

Eddie could not handle the pressure. He has been acting erratically all week.

2 meaningless fights and he should never have been fighting for that title. He's very lucky to be in the position he's in by the UFC. Getting greedy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,131 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

winston82 wrote: »
    2 meaningless fights and he should never have been fighting for that title. He's very lucky to be in the position he's in by the UFC. Getting greedy now.

haters gonna hate...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Eddie a class act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fan f***ing tastic! I'm always a pessimist leading into fights over his chances (or any athlete/sports team I follow for that matter! :o ), but this was one of the only ones I genuinely felt very confident over, delighted to see him follow through. He's loud, he's cocky, he's arrogant, he's all of those things his detractors say... and he backs it up. Never backs down from a fight, even when Nate beat him at 170 I thought it was exceptionally dumb but he insisted on fighting that weight again and proved me very wrong. Not only out of the ring but in it too, he's got to be the most entertaining fighter in a long time if not ever, first to have two belts, first (if I recall) to win in 3 weight classes, and still maybe most impressive to me was finishing the Holloway fight without a leg way back when.

Browsing the Sherdog thead has been a joy! :D

As for the Irish people that try and constantly put him down -- tough ****, you're looking at the greatest Irish athlete currently on the go, in terms of what they do! Not only that, but he's fast on his way, if not already up there, with the likes of Katie Taylor, Roy Keane and Brian O'Driscoll (edit: also Tony McCoy if we're including him) in terms of the greatest living Irish athlete. Love him, loathe him or otherwise, that's simply the fact of the matter at this point, and hats off to him for it and long may it continue! :)

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Well if the guy just stands there it ain't hard is it ?

I'm not trolling,just happened to be awake and had a look at the fight. As an unbiased outsider it looked rigged.
    Did you see what happened every single time he tried to do something? He wound up flat on his arse. That's no coincidence, everyone knew before that the stand up was going to be a major issue for Alvarez in this fight and that's exactly what it was. The fight nearly ended about 30 seconds in the first time he tried it, that's the point where they both knew McGregor had this won.

Dominated that fight

Hilarious when he kept ignoring yer man's questions and kept asking for his second belt

Legend

8/1 not bad for second round tko :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

When is he going to stop ducking Diaz?

That defeat will always haunt him.

He needs to put that to rest before proclaiming himself as the greatest/ on a different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭sjb25

pc7 wrote: »
    Any estimate on how much he'll have made for the fight?

Think I read somewhere about €18millionish if you add in everything

No links can't remember where I read it but no matter what it will be like this

thierry14 wrote: »

He needs to put that to rest before proclaiming himself as the greatest/ on a different level.

Lol what

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

winston82 wrote: »

Trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭sjb25

That defeat will always haunt I him.

Well this is embarrassing for all of us

Erm, you mean the same Nate Diaz he beat in their rematch - his last fight before this one?

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Erm, you mean the same Nate Diaz he beat in their rematch - his last fight before this one?

He was probably grounded doing homework and missed it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement